TSA implementting enhanced Security at some overseas airoirts

Another interesting facet of the usual screening was that anyone traveling with a child under 16 was directed to a separate screening area. The adults' and children's documentation was rigorously examined and the adult had to prove a legal connection (parent, guardian, or other legal documentation) giving them the right to travel with the child.

I would assume this was for passangers with children under 16 who were not travelling as a family? When I took 12 year old DD to Australia I had to have a notarized letter from DH certifying that I had the right, and his permission to take her out of the country. We attached both our passports (copies) and a copy of the ininerary. The only person who looked at it was the US Customs and Immigration agent in Toronto's airport as we changed flights in Los Angeles. She just asked for it and read it but didn't say anything.

I would thing if a family is travelling together and every member of that family has a passport then there would be no issue....I hope...as I wouldn't be travelling with any other ID for our children.

U.S. Customs is in Montreal airport, as well.

And, though certainly not Canada, at Bermuda airport.

Slightly OT ... here's a list of locations w/ US CBP pre-clearance http://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports/preclearance/preclear-locations ... YYC, YEG, YHZ, YUL, YOW, YYZ, YVR, YYJ, YWG, FPO, NAS, BDA, AUA, SNN, DUB, and AUH.

Scott.

Thanks for the link. For those who aren't expert in Airline codes, the cities include:

Canada: Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Victoria, Winnipeg

Bahamas: Freeport, Nassau

Bermuda

Aruba

Ireland: Shannon, Dublin

United Arab Emerates: Abu Dhabi

I congratulate TSA for staying ahead of the terrorists.

TSA couldn't stay ahead of anyone if they were the horse and everyone else was a buggy. 100% of what they do is purely reactive.

U.S. Customs is in Montreal airport, as well.

And, though certainly not Canada, at Bermuda airport.

I know US Customs is at the Keflavik airport in Iceland (where I was asked to show my passport 3(!) times before ever getting to the gate, and then those idiots decided I was suspicious enough for a separate screening). KEF isn't on the preclearance list though.

This article is pretty much the epitome of what I think about TSA and our airport security.

For awhile at least, just be prepared (charged devices) as what will be expected will vary I suspect. Leaving the Paris airport (CDG) yesterday (7/8) they had no interest at all in my various electronic devices. Perhaps this will change -who knows. Anyhow, while I know that the TSA can request special services, the folks who do the actual screening in any foreign airports I have ever been in been are are NOT TSA folks, but whatever local security team the country has on duty. Same with Ports. (In Canada it gets a bit more confusing as sometime one goes through the American screening as well as the Canadian one in at least some boarder cities. I never noticed if TSA folks are used there or not.)

At airports in Canada and other countries offering US pre-clearance, the customs and immigration roles are performed by US officials, but the TSA does not conduct screening outside the US. Instead, domestic authorities (CATSA in Canada) perform this role. Where differences in standars exist, the local authorities screen US-bound passengers using TSA criteria.

We each have one of these that we got at The Source. Works really well They are made by Energizer

B0092MD8OW-2.jpg

We have the middle size of the PNY brand, bought in Canada at Future Shop:

PowerPack-assortment-v2.jpg

It can charge 2 devices and the then plugs into a USB port to recharge its power. Worked great and now is used the game play at home doesn't have to be restricted to where the outlets are in our home...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the link. For those who aren't expert in Airline codes, the cities include:

Canada: Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Victoria, Winnipeg

Bahamas: Freeport, Nassau

Bermuda

Aruba

Ireland: Shannon, Dublin

United Arab Emerates: Abu Dhabi

Thank you -- I knew a few of the airport codes.

I appreciate you filling in the blanks for me.

Silly statement. Nobody knows about the terrorist plots that were thwarted.

This new rule is clearly proactive, and I thank TSA for protecting me. I have no patience with those who whine at the slightest personal inconvenience. So what if you showed your passport three times!

igraf

TSA couldn't stay ahead of anyone if they were the horse and everyone else was a buggy. 100% of what they do is purely reactive.

I know US Customs is at the Keflavik airport in Iceland (where I was asked to show my passport 3(!) times before ever getting to the gate, and then those idiots decided I was suspicious enough for a separate screening). KEF isn't on the preclearance list though.

This article is pretty much the epitome of what I think about TSA and our airport security.

I would assume this was for passangers with children under 16 who were not travelling as a family? When I took 12 year old DD to Australia I had to have a notarized letter from DH certifying that I had the right, and his permission to take her out of the country. We attached both our passports (copies) and a copy of the ininerary. The only person who looked at it was the US Customs and Immigration agent in Toronto's airport as we changed flights in Los Angeles. She just asked for it and read it but didn't say anything.

I would thing if a family is travelling together and every member of that family has a passport then there would be no issue....I hope...as I wouldn't be travelling with any other ID for our children.

You assume wrong. It was for anyone traveling with a child under 16, including families.

A passport, at least a USA passport, shows a home address and, hopefully, all the children have the same address as their parents. Older children were asked who the adults were that were with them (This is according to a family that was on the same tour as us and went through security when we did. Their sons were 24 and 12).

In any case, as you had the notarized letter, you would not have had any problems.

Included in the list of required information was for anyone who had a deceased spouse (or one of the parents were deceased) and traveling with a child, a certified copy of the death certificate was required.

You assume wrong. It was for anyone traveling with a child under 16, including families.

A passport, at least a USA passport, shows a home address and, hopefully, all the children have the same address as their parents. Older children were asked who the adults were that were with them (This is according to a family that was on the same tour as us and went through security when we did. Their sons were 24 and 12).

In any case, as you had the notarized letter, you would not have had any problems.

Included in the list of required information was for anyone who had a deceased spouse (or one of the parents were deceased) and traveling with a child, a certified copy of the death certificate was required.

I bolded your sentence, as you are making a blanket statement which is not always the case..

MY U.S.A. Passport does not officially include my home address..

The only place I could find for an address in U.S. passports is the very front cover where only the passport holder may hand write their USA address, as well as their foreign address.. It is not mandatory to write your address in your passport.. Just checked my first passport was issued in 1959 & I did write my address in it..But after that stopped doing it..

I'm now on my 7th one.. Most of the people in my office stopped writing our address in the passport since we traveled constantly.. That was for our protection, however we did have our home address inside our baggage..

If I was a parent I would never write my Childs address in their passports..

Did you put your address in your passport, or do you have a special passport? I only looked at my old expired passports as we keep our good passports in the safe..

P.S. It's been such fun looking at our expired passports with so many stamps & visa's in them.. I'm re-living some of my exciting trips

Edited by serendipity1499

What is the necessity for having these devices charged? And doesn't one usually keep them charged? What good are they if they are not?

The requirement to have them charged is so you can show they work. The idea is that if a device has been gutted and the insides replaced for whatever nefarious reason it won't function. On the whole it really doesn't change much for us. One of the reasons we have iPads, iPhones, etc., is for travel so it only makes sense they're charged and working. I haven't gone through the new screening yet and I guess it might be a hassle to get them out and ready but it's either that or not travel. Kind of hard to drive to Europe from San Antonio so it'll be what it will be.

We recently had to renew our passports -- no home address listed on them.

Still have our passports from 2003 -- no home address was listed on them either.

Can't tell you anything about our other 4 sets of passports.

Does anybody know what the rules are for devices in checked bags?

Roy

Good question!!

I haven't heard any talk about anything in checked luggage.

An excellent question. Obviously, or at least hopefully, they have a way to deal with that. I certainly won't be putting valuable electronics in my checked luggage to avoid the security check....I can just see the luggage thieves drooling at that possibility. :)

I bolded your sentence, as you are making a blanket statement which is not always the case..

Did you put your address in your passport, or do you have a special passport? I only looked at my old expired passports as we keep our good passports in the safe..

No, a regular passport that came with the address printed in it with all the usual information (name, birth date and place, etc). However, there might be some additional info that comes up with my and my husband's passport when entered into the system due to our security clearance and jobs at the time.

It would explain some of the comments we have received from immigration here and abroad when the passport numbers were entered into whatever system was being used.