Delta A330-300 Economy Comfort Seats

Dave4120

Hello...I've posted on other threads about our flight possibilities from JFK to Barcelona next May for our planned cruise.

After all the research and commotion I've created for many of you, and, myself, we are ready to purchase our airline tickets.

Not sure if we should wait a couple more months in case the airfares drop, or just get the darn ticket now.

I'm wondering if anyone has been in this aircraft because there are 4-rows of Economy Comfort seats and when checking SeatGuru and other similar sights, there are some different comments on whether row 10, a bulkhead seat is good or not. SeatGuru says no, and Seat Maestro says yes.

Thanks

The big issue is whether or not you like a bulkhead. You will not have the ability to really stretch out by putting your seats under the row in front of you. Also, there is no floor stowage for you. OTOH, there will be no one to recline back towards you.

In addition, you have the galley nearby, which may have activity that keeps you awake/distracted.

I personally would rather have the underseat space in front of me, rather than the absence of recline from the row in front. Your judgement may vary.

Thanks for the information. I guess I was a bit concerned as to taking the bulkhead seat, or the seat behind it because I've read that if dome people really want to sleep, by time they recline their seat back all the way, it might almost be touching my legs or lap not allowing me to hardly move at all.

Seems line there is a trade-off with either seat selection???

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The big issue is whether or not you like a bulkhead. You will not have the ability to really stretch out by putting your seats under the row in front of you.

I personally would rather have the underseat space in front of me, rather than the absence of recline from the row in front. Your judgement may vary.

I've always found the bulkhead seats to have a bit more leg room though, than a normal seat. Either way, MY preference would be to NOT have someone in front of me who will almost certainly be reclining their seat on a transatlantic flight. To each his own, so you'll need to decide if you are more like Flyertalker, walking under-seat stowage in front of you or more like me, and want no seat reclining into your lap. :)

I've read that if dome people really want to sleep, by time they recline their seat back all the way,

Yes, very true, especially on a transatlantic. Economy Comfort helps a little on the one hand, because you get a bit more seat pitch, i.e. a few more inches of legroom. On the other hand, Economy Comfort seats also recline a bit more than others. In other words, if you take the row behind the bulkhead, you'll have a little more legroom but also the person in front of you will be able to recline a bit further back. Again, your choice as to which is the deal breaker for you.

Hello Waterbug and Flyertalker:

Thank-you again for helping me out. If I can ask you just one more set of questions, I promise to stop.

I did manage to find a few photos of the Delta A-330-300 Economy Comfort cabin space that consists of Rows 10-14. The photos weren't the best angles, but at least gave me some visual picture.

So...here I go:

1...Since the flight from JFK to Barcelona is about 8-hours and leaves at 7:45-PM our time, 1:45-AM Barcelona time, we are not planning on eating and drinking much, if anything, nor, plan to watch the TV screen. If anything, I might listen to my music for a bit. We really plan to just try and rest and/or sleep, if possible. So, with that in mind, I'm thinking the bulkhead seat with no one in front of us, and no one to recline their seat just about on my lap if I were behind another set of seats can be avoided so we can rest. Not concerned about the armrest or tray table in the bulkhead seat unless you're telling me it's impossible for those two things not to be a pain in the butt. Any thoughts on this type of thinking?

Eminently reasonable thoughts.

Let me just ask one more thought problem. If, your plan is to sleep as much as possible on the flight, will you really notice if someone has reclined into "your space"? They wouldn't be reclining to where they touch your body (unless you are really POS, to quote another recent thread). I would think that this would be more of a concern if you are awake for long stretches. Once you are "lights out", you are...."lights out".

Further thing to look for. IF you can, find the control that allows you to lift up the aisle armrest. With that raised, even if someone is leaning back, you and spouse can horizontally slide out of the seats, rather than trying to quasi-stand without grabbing/disturbing the reclined seatback in front of you. It's a little trick I learned years ago and it has served me well.

Note that not all seats or aircraft have the moveable aisle armrest, but when they do, it's great!

The points you make Flyertalk obviously make sense that I never would think of having only flown one other time. Looks like out of Economy Comfort rows 10-14, I am going to try and book row 12 or 13 which would be the aisle and window seat. Even though I think the window seats have an entertainment box underneath that could hinder leg and foot space a little for one of us, this seems like the best option.

The armrest in the bulkhead seats on the A330 are stationary as they contain the tray table. This also makes the seats, space wise, a little narrower.

The avod equipment under the A seat should not impede foot space, just storage space unless you are tall with big feet.

As with all airlines, Delta has the right to switch aircraft, and they do. There are multiple models of the A330 seating wise and by choosing a middle row you are far less likely to lose your original seats. I'd never choose the first or last row in EC.

Do monitor your reservation from time to time. Very often someone will post Delta changes on this forum too. They generally occur over weekends without warning. I'm actually in shock because we have not had a single change YET for our next 6 Delta flights....but it's not the weekend yet either!!!!

Hello Alcpa1... I will just have small carry on bag that I thin can be put in the bin above our seats??? So I guess the entertainment box will not be an issue.

I will try to get row 12 or 13 from the 10-14 Economy Comfort rows.

I was on Flyer talk late last night and there were several recent reviews from people who have been in these seats on the a-330-300, and, most were not that favorable, however, I understand everyone has different opinions and expectations.

I also saw how 21 of these Delta planes have now completed their retro fitting improvements, and it looks line the remaining planes will be complete by our flight time next May.

It also showed that Delta is taking delivery of many more new A-330-300 planes between Spring 2015-2016. Would be nice to get on one of those.

Is there any way to find out what A-330-300 plane we will have out of JFK when we fly by a serial number in advance of the flight?

Oh well...I will continue to check our seats and plane after I pay for the reservation. I've read Delta is bad at switching planes and people's seats. Hopefully because we are paying extra for the Economy Comfort seats, we won't get our seats changed.

Dave

Dave,

Delta is really no worse than any of the other majors when it comes to adjusting schedules and planes.

You won't have any issue putting your carry on in the overhead. Economy Comfort seating, at this time, qualifies you for zone 1 boarding where more overhead space is available.

Our next flight on Delta is to a destination we fly to at least four times a year. We are flying soon so we were ready to book for October and the fare has increased by $50 per ticket. I would advise you to book soon and don't look back. The domestic fares for every airline are increasing. I have no idea what influence the turmoil in the Middle East or the political situations in Europe will have on the price of fuel. We were in Europe in May and there is rising tension.

If you have followed the news in the last week you are probably aware of the increase security at European airports. Please take this into consideration when timing your return flight.

Thanks alcpa1...I see the Delta flight went up the other day and dropped again by $50 over night, so I will buy our tickets when I get home tonight.

I totally understand what you're saying about tension in Europe. That is why we are more comfortable doing the non-stop flights from JFK versus layovers at one of several different airports, especially since we are not people that ever fly that often, let alone, have ever flown to Europe.

As pointed out to me earlier, we are getting one ticket that takes us from our home airport with a change of planes at JFk before continuing to Europe. The fare is now only an additional, $25 total, roundtrip from our home port to JFK and back. If we were to ever purchase two separate roundtrip tickets, the fare would have been $250 each, roundtrip trip from our home airport to JFK and back. What a difference in price by getting just one ticket that combines everything.

Well....I finally did it. Booked the non-stop roundtrip air on Delta on the Airbus a-330-300.

Hoping by time we fly next May, all of those planes will have been modified which it says it will. Who knows, maybe we will get lucky and get on a new one of those planes if their recent order is delivered by then. It only said more of these 330-300 planes will be delivered next Spring.

We did purchase Economy Comfort, and, not the bulkhead row-10. Did row 12, the two seats next to the right side window.

WOW...Thanks to everyone for all of their help and patience with this inexperienced flyer. I will report back after our trip and have video as i will be taking my GO-PRO camera, and, my sunglasses camera since I work in the audio and video field.

Now, I can concentrate on what to do in Barcelona for the 3-days prior to our cruise, and figure out if we should do things on our own, or, book with two of the different tour companies who have been mentioned on this site and highly recommended.

I will probably be back on this Cruise Air forum until our trip because I'm sure Delta will change my Economy Comfort Seats I paid extra for, or change a plane of flight number. then I can vent a bit to all of you.

Dave

WOW...Thanks to everyone for all of their help and patience with this inexperienced flyer. I will report back after our trip and have video as i will be taking my GO-PRO camera, and, my sunglasses camera since I work in the audio and video field.
Glad to have been of assistance. You had good, defined questions, which makes answers so much easier.
Now, I can concentrate on what to do in Barcelona for the 3-days prior to our cruise,
At the top of my list would be: "Don't get pickpocketed". :D

Much to see and do. Especially nice IMO is wandering the side streets to the east of La Rambla. Now you have a new topic to research. Have fun!

Dave,

So glad you bit the bullet and booked your air travel. It's never easy to find the "best" fare and once you find something you are comfortable with it's best just to buy and not look back.

Do check out the HOHO in Barcelona. I think they have added a fourth route since we were there. If not, there are three very interesting routes that cover much of the city. I may have my cities mixed up...nothing new on a European itinerary.

Unfortunately FlyerTalker is right. Barcelona is one of the most notorious cities for pick pocketing. La Rambla is the epicenter since there is every ocular diversion known to mankind. You will love it!

Have a great time planning your cruise. I hope you contribute to your Roll Call in the same wonderful informed spirit you did with us air junkies.

Hello alcpa1 and, FlyerTalker...Thanks again for all of your educational comments assisting me in my airline and seat choices.

Even though the research involved many hours, it has been fun and exciting. I feel somewhat lost at the moment lol. I'm still checking out flights, routes and prices by habit.

The possible pick pocket advice is very helpful too as I research the actual trip. I'm excited to check back after our trip and write about our experience, along with providing some photos and video.

Thanks again... I'm still studying the comfort of seats on various planes and will do so until trip time, so I will still be posting here if it might help someone else who might be planning a long trip like me between now and next May.

Hello again everyone...since our cruise and flight to Europe isn't until next April, I would ask that if anyone happens to travel on a Delta Airbus A-330-300 across country, or, to Europe, between now and then, please post any photos you might take of the Economy Comfort section of this aircraft, or, at least describe your thoughts. I know it will be very helpful for our trip, and, I'm sure other travelers can also benefit.

I would think over the next several months, someone would be taking a flight in Economy Comfort on this aircraft. If not, any other sites that might show updated photos and/or comments/reviews would be most welcome. From what I read, all of Delta's A-330-300 planes have now completed their inside cabin modifications.

Thank-you for any on-going information.

Dave

Thanks for the update...I did see one recent You Tube video from a travel talk show host on Sirius/XM radio. It showed a little of his Row 13 in Economy Comfort, however he gave around a minute presentation explaining and showing the entire aircraft, food,etc. it was excellent for sure, but besides his brief seat info, I haven't found any recent You Tube videos of the plane that Show seating besides business class, that is recent since the interiors were re-done.

I will keep checking because as you said, between now and the end of next April, I'm sure several videos and comments will pop up.

Thanks

Dave

• 2 years later...
Well....I finally did it. Booked the non-stop roundtrip air on Delta on the Airbus a-330-300.

Hoping by time we fly next May, all of those planes will have been modified which it says it will. Who knows, maybe we will get lucky and get on a new one of those planes if their recent order is delivered by then. It only said more of these 330-300 planes will be delivered next Spring.

We did purchase Economy Comfort, and, not the bulkhead row-10. Did row 12, the two seats next to the right side window.

Now, I can concentrate on what to do in Barcelona for the 3-days prior to our cruise, and figure out if we should do things on our own, or, book with two of the different tour companies who have been mentioned on this site and highly recommended.

I will probably be back on this Cruise Air forum until our trip because I'm sure Delta will change my Economy Comfort Seats I paid extra for, or change a plane of flight number. then I can vent a bit to all of you.

Dave

Hi Dave. I came across this old thread. We will be flying ATL to MAD on the Delta A330-300 and I'm in the same quandary as you re: seat selection. Was curious as to how you liked your seats? I'm seriously considering row 10 (bulkhead), either side (2 seats). Did you happen to notice these seats? Is the IFE on the bulkhead wall or in the armrest? Would love to see any photos that you could share. Thanks!

Hi Dave! We will be in Barcelona post River cruise for 3 days. We are taking a day to travel to Montserrat Monastery. Also, one night we will be seeing Flamenco dancing/music at Tablao Cordobes Ramblas 35. Unfortunately, I waited too long to book and the dinner/show times were booked. So, we will see the show and have a glass of wine! We too are taking Delta back to JFK. We were originally on a 777 and got switched to an A330 which I greatly appreciate that! Safe travels.

Thanks for the update...I did see one recent You Tube video from a travel talk show host on Sirius/XM radio. It showed a little of his Row 13 in Economy Comfort, however he gave around a minute presentation explaining and showing the entire aircraft, food,etc. it was excellent for sure, but besides his brief seat info, I haven't found any recent You Tube videos of the plane that Show seating besides business class, that is recent since the interiors were re-done.

I will keep checking because as you said, between now and the end of next April, I'm sure several videos and comments will pop up.

Thanks

Dave

Make sure you have signed up for flight alert changes with DL (and check your reservation often yourself)....I fly DL often and knowing about any changes gives me the opportunity to make seat or at times flight changes quickly when necessary.

We have flown the bulkhead seats on Delta Comfort, but not on a Airbus. It was on a Boeing. Loved the extra leg room and lack of a reclining seat in front of me.

However, the width of the seat was a bit smaller due to the screen that folds and slides down into your left armrest. It is not a huge difference, but I am 6 ft 1 inch and 210 lbs and the less hip room was noticeable.

Personally, I have never opted for the bulkhead seats again, but there are advantages as I stated.

Just as a note....there are some aircraft where the bulkhead seat has less legroom than the rows behind. I know that's true on several of the 757 versions. Do not assume you get more legroom. Do assume that you will have tray tables in the armrest (with the reduced width), no floor storage room in front of you and no one reclining into you (unless you are on an aircraft where there is no solid bulkhead, just a curtain - in which case they will lean into "your space".

Hello Waterbug and Flyertalker:

Thank-you again for helping me out. If I can ask you just one more set of questions, I promise to stop.

Sorry, I've been traveling a LOT this summer and just saw your post. I see that your questions have been answered, but will just add that in my opinion I think it was a good decision to go ahead and purchase your tickets. If you wait for the price to drop and you were considering doing, you risk seeing the price go UP instead of down. Happy traveling!