Celebrity Cruises - dropped ball on our 50th

mistershine

Once again: WELCOME.

The problem might be centered around dining in Blu. Several past posters, including me, have reported not getting a cake in Blu. The situation I reported above occurred in Blu. We could not understand it since many of the waiters were friends from past cruises. Be interesting to read of other experiences with special cakes in Blu.

We had a special cake brought to our table in Blu last year on the Solstice....however, I have to say, the desserts off the menu are so outstanding that I don't know if it was anything special other than the waiter brought the cake by and wished us a happy anniversary. Not sure if I ever heard any group song while in Blu from the waiters and the last night is sometimes hurried for them at that.

The Captain also sent us a bottle of wine to our room with a card for our anniversary. Now, I thought that was such a nice touch.

While I really don't enjoy people making a big deal in a public area for my birthday or anniversary, it is nice to have it acknowledged with a kind word. Sorry nobody did that for you.

So can you explain why I have been given lower prices by my agent on all 4 of the celebrity cruises I have booked with her... On top of the extras I have been given by her agency!!

As Im sure plenty of other people have benefited from also!

You were not given lower prices than what Celebrity charges for individual bookings. However, the TA arranged a group booking that you could participate in, making the lower prices possible. In this case, the TA must guarantee a certain number of rooms to be booked - Celebrity requires a minimum of 8 rooms. Only then can the TA offer you a discounted price.

We did this on a cruise a few years ago. Our TA had enough confidence in her being able to sell the remaining rooms that she arranged a group booking for the five couples in our small group. It saved us a few hundred dollars over the published price. But she still had to sell the remaining three rooms to qualify for these discounts. If she didn't, the price would have either been increased to the published price, or she would have to pay for the empty rooms. Since the TA community is close and often work together on special situations, she would have reached out to another TA to sell any unsold rooms, minimizing the risk to her.

Another caveat - if the prices dropped below our discounted fare with the group booking and we wanted to take advantage of the drop, we would lose the discount and simply pay the new price drop amount.

Edited by boogs

It makes sense that nothing occurred for the OP and his DW to honor their momentous wedding anniversary since they were not aboard the Solstice on the actual day!! I'd hope that there would be a computer alert (hope is the operative word given the way the Celebrity website works) to whomever is in charge of recognizing a special occasion if stated and dated on the reservation for a passenger while on the ship.

I hope the OP finds it in his heart to "forgive" Celebrity for not recognizing their special anniversary since it had already occurred before they boarded ship!

There is a computer alert, but the person making the input can be part of the problem...

Several years ago we took a TA, and on the day of embarkation a member of our Roll Call mentioned to one of the wait staff who was booking our reservations for the specialty restaurants that it was my birthday (it really was my birthday that day). That evening DH and I had dinner in one of the specialty restaurants and afterward I was presented with a small birthday cake, which was very nice. However, that was only the first of 4 more birthday cakes which I was presented with over the course of the cruise (the last one was in Murano!) Each time after the 1st one, I kept telling them it was NOT my birthday anymore, but they just gave me a puzzled look, as if I was not telling the truth, because the computer said it was my birthday! It was nice the 1st time the waiters sang (in Japanese!) but at cake number 5 it was embarrassing.

It's funny how things work with X. To have a very special occasion acknowledged is part of the celebration. Sorry that the OP's was missed.

You were not given lower prices than what Celebrity charges for individual bookings. However, the TA arranged a group booking that you could participate in, making the lower prices possible. In this case, the TA must guarantee a certain number of rooms to be booked - Celebrity requires a minimum of 8 rooms. Only then can the TA offer you a discounted price.

We did this on a cruise a few years ago. Our TA had enough confidence in her being able to sell the remaining rooms that she arranged a group booking for the five couples in our small group. It saved us a few hundred dollars over the published price. But she still had to sell the remaining three rooms to qualify for these discounts. If she didn't, the price would have either been increased to the published price, or she would have to pay for the empty rooms. Since the TA community is close and often work together on special situations, she would have reached out to another TA to sell any unsold rooms, minimizing the risk to her.

Another caveat - if the prices dropped below our discounted fare with the group booking and we wanted to take advantage of the drop, we would lose the discount and simply pay the new price drop amount.

I made an individual booking and paid less then celebrity was charging... So group booking or not they gave us a lower price then celebrity which you said couldn't happen!

Another factor that no one has mentioned ( I think) concerning this might be that the last night of the round trip from Seattle is a 6 pm port in Victoria Canada and usually the dining is open seating in the MDR. Unless you are in Blu or maybe a specialty dining restaurant the staff does not know who or when you come in to eat. This has happened on both of my trips from Seattle. In this case, even if the special occasion was listed by the TA, circumstances would not allow anything different unless arrangements were made on board.

I am sorry this mix up left the OP with such a bad feeling about X.

I think that they try to do the right thing but with thousands on board - things fall through the crack. While it would be disappointing, the fact you were on a fabulous cruise should be the memories you cherish. My actual anniversary is on Valentine's Day - a busy day when many people celebrate - I was pleased that Celebrity gave us a small cake when we dined in Murano, so sometimes they do get it right.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. With AAA you need to talk to a live TA to book anything. It's not, as you incorrectly claim, "that point and click and have no authority to give anything away, let alone have any speciality knowledge." And, they, like any TA, online or live, cannot get lower prices for you. Celebrity doesn't allow it. What they can do is provide services to help you plan and manage your vacations.

The OP even said that they visited their TA at the TA's office and talked to them about what they wanted, which negates every word in your uninformed statement. Quoting the OP: "we went into AAA, discussed options with a travel agent, and decided on this cruise."

I don't know what beef you have with AAA, but this must be the only reason you would print something so completely wrong. At least make a rudimentary attempt to be accurate when you post a comment.

I have been using a AAA TA for a dozen years for much of my travel planning. She has helped me in many ways, even pulling strings to get me certain benefits that I didn't qualify for. She knows her job quite well, has connections I could never develop, and has never led me astray nor disappointed me. True, some TAs are probably better than others. But to say that they "just take" orders don't have "any speciality knowledge" is just plain wrong.

I have no beef with AAA, my Dad got me my first membership in 1970. Their Trip Tix program of driving instruction are second to none. But lets face it, they are in the Auto Roadside service business foremost. You have been quite luckie to find a rep who can give that extra level of service, I would venture that she is no 'spring chicken'.

From the OP's statement, they were not as luckie. Their rep dropped the ball, not Celebrity. Dillards tried to book travel for their customers while they shopped for towels and sheets a few years back too.

But lets face it, they are in the Auto Roadside service business foremost..

They are much more than that. AAA was established in 1902 to support the motoring needs of motor vehicle enthusiasts. Today, they are a membership organization that provides insurance as their main function, including auto, boat, motorcycle, recreational vehicle, home and life insurance. They also provide roadside service, but this is now a minor part of their purpose. I have been a member since the early 70s, and I have vehicle, home, and life insurance policies with them. I once owned boats, and they were also insured through AAA.

Their travel agency services started in 1907. They have been in the travel business for well over 100 years. They also are one of the top 10 major travel agency in the US (source: http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-News/Travel-Agent-Issues/Travel-Weekly-2014-Power-List/), with a huge amount of clout. Being such a large agency, you often find AAA discounts available to members at hotels, car rentals, amusement parks, vacation destinations, and restaurants. Over the years I figure I have saved thousands of dollars by utilizing these membership discounts.

Edited by boogs

I wonder if the OP has had a change of heart since reading the comments?

The OP probably feels brutalized. He seems to be a nice, caring, romantic gentleman who was told that he could expect a special treat to honor his wife on an occasion that is clearly dear to his heart. He was probably expecting a little support and compassion here, and instead has been told by many that it was his failing that the occasion wasn't marked in the way he had been led to believe would happen, and which he clearly hoped would give some joy to his bride of 50 years.

And as far as the TA is concerned, yes, she could have done more to insure that the occasion was marked for this couple. But if she hasn't been on a Celebrity ship in the last two years, she might not know how things have changed. I have been sailing Celebrity for quite a few years, and up until two years ago, we would always have received a cake if it was marked as a special occasion on our reservation. Now I would absolutely expect to have to follow up myself on board, and more than once, because staffing is significantly lower in the MDR than it used to be. Staff are stretched thin, and if you speak to anyone who has worked for Celebrity for more than a few years, they are quite unhappy that they can't provide the level of service that they used to give.

The OP probably feels brutalized. He seems to be a nice, caring, romantic gentleman who was told that he could expect a special treat to honor his wife on an occasion that is clearly dear to his heart. He was probably expecting a little support and compassion here, and instead has been told by many that it was his failing that the occasion wasn't marked in the way he had been led to believe would happen, and which he clearly hoped would give some joy to his bride of 50 years.

And as far as the TA is concerned, yes, she could have done more to insure that the occasion was marked for this couple. But if she hasn't been on a Celebrity ship in the last two years, she might not know how things have changed. I have been sailing Celebrity for quite a few years, and up until two years ago, we would always have received a cake if it was marked as a special occasion on our reservation. Now I would absolutely expect to have to follow up myself on board, and more than once, because staffing is significantly lower in the MDR than it used to be. Staff are stretched thin, and if you speak to anyone who has worked for Celebrity for more than a few years, they are quite unhappy that they can't provide the level of service that they used to give.

They do seem to be very nice. As I said, they did nothing wrong. While a few posters may have been harsh most were very sympathetic and offered congratulations.

Not to sound mean but usually someone is celebrating something and it has to get old with the staff. I really do not think they care if you are celebrating or not. It is up to do your own special thing.

Why would he expect something when the anniversary did not happen on the cruise!

We book our first cruise for our 30th, but the cruise was 6 months before the fact, should we have expect the cruise line to bend over backwards for us :rolleyes:

After being lose for 6 hours in Rome we all most did not make it to 30 lol

Edited by Airbalancer

Why would he expect something when the anniversary did not happen on the cruise!

We book our first cruise for our 30th, but the cruise was 6 months before the fact, should we have expect the cruise line to bend over backwards for us :rolleyes:

After being lose for 6 hours in Rome we all most did not make it to 30 lol

Because their travel agent led them to believe they would get something on their 'chosen night,' the last night of the cruise!!!! Really I think it all goes back to him /her.

And you should have just listened to Patti!!

To add another anecdote:

We sailed (on another line), took family, the upshot was my in-laws 50th anniversary, my father's 80th birthday, and our daughter's graduation from high school.

We were SO SICK of getting the free cakes, we were sorry we had mentioned anything.

Honestly, while it's nice to "get something" for a milestone occasion, what you do for each other (like my trying to get "our song" played) means so much more than a commercial token from the cruise line.

To add another anecdote:

We sailed (on another line), took family, the upshot was my in-laws 50th anniversary, my father's 80th birthday, and our daughter's graduation from high school.

We were SO SICK of getting the free cakes, we were sorry we had mentioned anything.

Honestly, while it's nice to "get something" for a milestone occasion, what you do for each other (like my trying to get "our song" played) means so much more than a commercial token from the cruise line.

That WAS the gentleman trying to do something for his wife....he thought he had arranged for a cake to celebrate their fiftieth anniversary. I'm pretty sure it wasn't about the cake as a comestible, but about the honoring of the day by having the cake presented.

Edited by Waterlily777

@ the OP - Happy Belated Anniversary!!!

Sounds to me more like your TA dropped the ball. He/she should have suggested some of the options available to you. Or , he/she should have made some arrangements directly.

We celebrated our 25th on the Jewel of the Seas. I booked a large aft cabin, nicer than we would usually book. My children secretly arranged for the cabin to be decorated and flowers to be waiting for us. Some friends arranged for a bottle of bubbly to be waiting in the cabin.

Somebody from our roll call but a magnetic 8" x 10" decoration on our door wishing us a happy anniversary and others actually sent us cards.

I booked Chops (the best steak house) for the actual night of our anniversary and stuck by earlier to make sure we had a super window table. They remembered and brought a cake to the table.

I can see how the OP would be disappointed if nothing was noted. Hopefully the rest of the cruise was wonderful.

On another note, I booked a HAL cruise for my MIL and my daughter as her companion. At booking they asked what were the celebrating and I responded 'my daughter's 21st birthday' even though it was a couple of months before the actual cruise. They had a good laugh when the waiters all came out singing happy birthday and carrying a full size cake. They had no idea why!

Mistershine:

I can understand exactly where you are coming from in regards to Celebrity falling down on the job to celebrate you and your wife's 50th wedding anniversary. The same thing happened to my husband and me. We were on a British Isle cruise on June 13, 2014, on the Infinity and we were celebrating our 50th also. Our TA said Celebrity would acknowledge it on the second night of the cruise. No, this did not happen. Then a few nights later, as we were being led to our table for dinner, the guy barely mentioned that it was our anniversary. So we thought surely by the end of our meal, it would be acknowledged. That never happened either. I have no idea why it was mentioned and no public acknowledgement. So, it was not our TA's fault. She passed the word on and Celebrity did nothing to acknowledge it. As you were disappointed, so were we. We did not expect anything but a song and a picture. As others have said, your anniversary was before you got on the cruise ship so that is why it was not acknowledged. This is not true. If you read the print, it states you can celebrate an event a few weeks before or a few weeks after the occasion. So it does not matter if it is not the actual date as long as it is within a few weeks either before or after. As yours, our anniversary is June 6 also. And yes, it is a milestone and a wonderful one at that. If Celebrity is not going to acknowledge a birthday or anniversary, why bother to ask the question "will you be celebrating a special occasion?". This is insane and does not make any sense. We have been on many cruises in the past and this was our 4th on Celebrity. I did not even care about a small cake ~ only an acknowledgement would have been very nice. All the negative responses to your posts were not very nice. Until they have been there, to celebrate a 50th wedding anniversary, they can not say if they would have been upset or not. Actually, I do not remember hearing "happy birthday" or "happy anniversary" sung during the entire 10 day cruise. Maybe, they don't do that any longer. So then, they should not ask if you are celebrating a special occasion. Also, one morning, we were sitting at a table of 12 for breakfast and one couple was also celebrating an anniversary and nothing was done for them and they too were very disappointed. I bought this to the attention of Celebrity when I filled out the comment email after the cruise. I just feel like being married for 50 years deserve some sort of acknowledgement. A note from the Captain would have been nice or some balloons on the cabin door or an invitation to a gathering with others who were celebrating a special event during the week.

---. Actually, I do not remember hearing "happy birthday" or "happy anniversary" sung during the entire 10 day cruise. Maybe, they don't do that any longer.

There was discussion regarding this at the end of last year.

Apparently it's just one more of the cuts made by Miami.

Sorry to hear that the lack of acknowledgement ruined your cruise. Were you expecting something big? That's a shame that you had a great 6 days and then one day ruined the whole thing.

Last year, though it was on Princess, we also had our anniversary. We marked it on our booking. We didn't get the little poster or balloons on our door. We were a little disappointed. In fact, they knew bc we got the card for the "free" dessert on the actual day. But they didn't put the balloons and poster. Yes we were disappointed, but we didn't let it ruin our entire cruise.

I can not speak for Celebrity because next month will be our first cruise with them but I can speak of Princess.

We were told the placing of balloons and posters is entirely up the the room steward. We have celebrated many birthday and anniversaries onboard and it has been hit and miss regarding getting them. Princess does give a little special dessert but more often than not if you have "anytime (specialty) dining there is no cake.

I'm also sorry that not being recognized spoiled your cruise...just look back on how special it was to be celebrating your 50th...we do.:)

Mistershine - First off, Congratulations on your 50th anniversary and welcome to Cruise Critic. Wish you'd found it before the cruise and perhaps some would have been better able temper expectations so it wasn't so disappointing when they weren't met. I've found the forums incredibly helpful as I do choose to book with a very large TA which offers great deals, but not the level of attention some smaller agencies might offer.

Please don't be put off. You know those sayings about opinions... everyone's got one. Sometimes I've found that when I'm dissatisfied, the internet can be a harsh place to express distress and dissatisfaction.

I'd suggest you write your Travel Agent a polite note with your experience regarding the expectation she set you up for and Celebrity's lacking carry-through of those expectations. If you want an apology, I suggest you respectfully let her know that in the letter or e-mail. If anything, it will let her know that she may be promising things Celebrity won't cash. Hopefully she cares about her client's experiences and how she does her job, so she will be better prepared in the future.

If your travel agent does apologize and tries to make it right for you, perhaps consider using her again for your next cruise. If not, there are many travel agents out there who do care about their clients and take pride in doing their job well. Some offer more personalized service than others which may be important for special occasion cruises. Cruise Critic doesn't allow posters to promote specific travel agents/agencies. Personally, I like to solicit recommendations from people I know in person or travel bloggers who I've been following on the internet for a long time.

Edited by travelpeon

Every time we've been with Celebrity it has been our wedding anniversary. Even if we haven't let them know before hand, if the staff catch on that it is a special event they will present you with a cake. Very nice they are too. :)

All this rhetoric for a crappy free small cake and 5 people singing to you? OMG:rolleyes: For Gods Sake, make your own fun and celebration as opposed to sitting on your butt assuming others will do it for you. Maybe it was time to open the wallet for the Maitre'D or Server and make it happen. Sorry to be blunt but it is what it is.

And you had a celebration before the cruise on your actual date?

And, LOL, EW, stop picking on AAA!:D

For members of the Captain's Club (repeat cruisers) celebrating an event - mention it to the onboard host/hostess.

I'm fairly sure that ours was recognized because my DH mentioned to her our anniversary celebration as the purpose of our last cruise. She asked, "What evening?"

We declined a cake/singing at dinner when the Maitre d' offered - don't enjoy the attention and prefer to choose from the menu. But when we returned to our stateroom after dinner in Murano, we found a nice leather-like 10 X 10 folding portfolio with a photo of the ship inside, and a space on the other side for our own formal night photo. With it was a note from the hostess and a split of champagne, as well as a note from the Captain.

Nice memento. So sorry it didn't go that way for the OP.