Celebrity Cruises - dropped ball on our 50th

mistershine

We do not tell anyone about special occasions because the free small cake they bring sucks and the other free desserts are much better!!! It seems so forced when these people that don't know you/are not really interested in you/are just doing their jobs come to your table to sing or whatever...we much prefer to do our own thing...but I can imagine if you do not know how the system works and are expecting something/anything it would be disappointing...

Edited by deise17311

There was discussion regarding this at the end of last year.

Apparently it's just one more of the cuts made by Miami.

We do not tell anyone about special occasions because the free small cake they bring sucks and the other free desserts are much better!!! It seems so forced when these people that don't know you/are not really interested in you/are just doing their jobs come to your table to sing or whatever...we much prefer to do our own thing...but I can imagine if you do not know how the system works and are expecting something/anything it would be disappointing...
I agree! Hard to imagine a missed cake "ruining the cruise".

We noted a "celebration" the first time we booked on each of the 3 cruise lines we have sailed on.

The results were always underwhelming. We didn't in any way care. We just wanted to see the result.

Since we always book non-fixed time dining ,I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it.

It always seemed like they had almost forgotten.

In one case they remembered as we were leaving the dining room.:p

We haven't put down any celebrations since. I agree Deise, the regular desserts are much better.

Two years ago we were having a problem with Celebrity and had a number of conversations with people in Miami. One asked when we would be on our next cruise and I told them it would be in January for our anniversary. The cruise arrived and nothing, not even the usual small cake, was presented. We were disappointed as we were and are frequent Celebrity cruisers. I mentioned our disappointment to someone on another cruise and the next year on our anniversary cruise we found a bottle of Chandon Brut (not the cheap stuff) and a dish of chocolate covered strawberries in our cabin. I didn't find a card so called Guest Relations. They told me that they were a gift from someone at Corporate wishing us a Happy Anniversary. Interestingly, we didn't tell anyone that this was our anniversary cruise. Life has a way of balancing things out.

Ah, but when you're approaching what would become Zenith, magical things can and do happen. :) Glad it did, you've spent enough time and money to warrant it.

Ah, but when you're approaching what would become Zenith, magical things can and do happen. :) Glad it did, you've spent enough time and money to warrant it.

Thank you for your kind words. The incident happened before the new program was announced. But, you are correct. If people know you and you have developed a relationship with them you will be treated even more special than the norm. The key for me is to treat people with respect whether you're a first time cruiser or a Zenith.

Sorry this happened to you....guess that one of the reasons for the no response might be that it was your last night on the ship.....I don't think I'd try to do anything special on that night as it seems the crew is more focused on the next cruise then the current one on that last evening and the next morning and I know many personell are shifted to the luggage gathering duties too....

Not saying it's right, just a thought as to why it wasn't acknowledged.

I am not sure exactly what you were expecting from Celebrity. I have read several but not all of the posts and it is not clear. The best that you would get is probably a cake and a bunch of waiters singing to you. To mean, that his hardly a cruise ruining event, especially as the rest of the cruise was great.

DON

All this rhetoric for a crappy free small cake and 5 people singing to you? OMG:rolleyes: For Gods Sake, make your own fun and celebration as opposed to sitting on your butt assuming others will do it for you. Maybe it was time to open the wallet for the Maitre'D or Server and make it happen. Sorry to be blunt but it is what it is.

And you had a celebration before the cruise on your actual date?

And, LOL, EW, stop picking on AAA!:D

No one sang to us - not our sort of thing, BUT if it is, then what's wrong with that. Sometimes just a nice gesture means a lot to people - if you are expecting something extra special and it doesn't happen then anyone would be disappointed. I think that suggesting that staff only work for a tip is an insult to the many fab crew members we've met.

LOL!! I had the exact opposite experience! I was treated to a cake, presents and a rousing rendition of "Happy Birthday" on an April cruise. . .except my birthday is in December. . .:confused::confused:

This made me laugh out loud :D:eek: ;)

I sorry but if the event is special it is up to you to ensure it happens. Most complaining posters blame the bad guy. In this case big bad Celebrity. In reality, there are a lot of hands that touch the reservation. Starting with the TA, who can mess up, and they are not even Celebrity! The unknown hands and process within Celebrity can drop the ball. Imagine a printer running out of toner while the page with your request go blank!

I would have spoken with the Matre D the day before to assure the special event happens. That is the accountable person who you can touch again if you are disappointed.

Valentines Day two years was our 25th. Our TA had a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us. This was on RC. The three cruises that we have taken have been on Valentines Day with either Celebrity or RC. It is always noted. We have never received anything special from them except on this last cruise. We were invited to a gathering that had other people celebrating their anniversaries or honeymoon. It was a lot of fun. A couple had been married for 60 years. They did have a heart shaped cake. Each couple had their picture taken behind the cake and then it was served. I don't know if this is common for Celebrity to do. Maybe it has something to do with the cruise director since she was there.

Our next cruise will be the same 14 day cruise on Eclipse that we just had this Feb. Valentines Day (our 28th) will be on the last night of the cruise. I am now interested to see what happens next year.

OP, congrats on your 50th. I know things didn't turn out the way you wanted them to. 50 years is a huge milestone. Not many folks make it that far. You and your wife have found a wonderful partner in each other. Wishing you many more happy years.

Renee

Edited by ReneeFLL