Should I cancel or just not show up?

Wilde_37

So unless I missed it, I don't think we've yet heard from anyone who had a companion who just did not show up. Anyone out there with that experience who can report back?

My roommate "did not show up" on June 23rd in Southampton. I advised them at check in. They refunded her taxes and fees during the cruise.

• 4 weeks later...
I don't know where you get your information, but I've sailed solo twice this year and I was not charged double port fees.

I just found my proof on this.

I booked a sailing last November for a sailing on Sillouhette this November. At that time the brochure (I just dug it out of my files, as the TA is now sending out final invoices) from the TA listed pricing as (for an Ocean View, not that cabin Type is important):

$674.00 pp cabin fare

$175.00 pp Port Fees

$131.25 pp taxes

----------

$980.21 pp or $1960.42 for 2 people

so this would be as a solo:

$674.00 Crusie fare

$674.00 Single Supplement

$175.00 port fees

$131.25 taxes

------------

$1,654.21 as a solo

Celebrity made the TA change their brochures and website earlier this year, not disclosing the Port Fees any longer. Now the brochure pricing is (and the pricing matches the X website):

$849.00pp Cruise Fare

$131.21pp "Taxes and Fees" (yes a few cents less, as often happens)

---------

$980.21pp or $1960.42 for 2 people.

If booking as a solo however, notice how this little nuance affects things....:

$849.00 Crusie Fare

$849.00 Single Supplement

$131.21 "Taxes and Fees"

-----------

$1829.21 as a solo = $175 more, due to the Port fees now being buried in the cruise fare.

Notice how X says "taxes and fees" now and not "taxes and Port Fees" and when you click the link to get the detail, you only see 1 line item for the TAXES portion, not a second disclosing any Port Fees.

Edited by cle-guy

I booked a sailing last November for a sailing on Sillouhette this November. At that time the brochure (I just dug it out of my files, as the TA is now sending out final invoices) from the TA listed pricing as (for an Ocean View, not that cabin Type is important):

$674.00 pp cabin fare

$175.00 pp Port Fees

$131.25 pp taxes

----------

$674.00 Crusie fare

$175.00 port fees

$131.25 taxes

------------

$1,654.21 as a solo

Celebrity made the TA change their brochures and website earlier this year, not disclosing the Port Fees any longer. Now the brochure pricing is (and the pricing matches the X website):

$849.00pp Cruise Fare

---------

$849.00 Crusie Fare

$131.21 "Taxes and Fees"

-----------

$1829.21 as a solo = $175 more, due to the Port fees now being buried in the cruise fare.

Notice how X says "taxes and fees" now and not "taxes and Port Fees" and when you click the link to get the detail, you only see 1 line item for the TAXES portion, not a second disclosing any Port Fees.

Actually, what you have proof of is that your travel agency was playing a bit of a game with its pricing quote. I have seen agencies do this before to make you think you are getting a deal from them, compared to others who are listing the cruise fares in the same way that Celebrity does.

The $175.00 that was originally listed as "port fees" is what Celebrity calls NCCF (non-commissionable cruise fare). NCCF can include whatever the cruise lines want it to include, including some fees levied by the port, but the amount listed as NCCF is part of your cruise fare and will not be refunded if the second person does not take the cruise.

You will not see NCCF listed separately on your booking confirmation from Celebrity. It will say "Cruise Fare", and in the case of your cruise, the amount will be $849 ($674 + $175).

The third amount, the $131.25, which your agency originally listed as "taxes", is what Celebrity lists on their booking confirmation as "taxes, fees and port expenses". (I just booked a cruise directly with Celebrity this morning, and my booking confirmation still says “taxes, fees and port expenses”.) THIS is the amount you do not have to pay twice, if you are sailing as a solo.

In all of Celebrity's advertising, the NCCF amount ($175) is added to the basic Cruise Fare ($674) to make the advertised Cruise Fare, for this sailing, of $849.00. To this would be added the $131.25 for "taxes, fees and port expenses", which would give the full cost of $980.21 for the first passenger. Two passengers would be double that amount, or $1960.50.

Celebrity made your agency change the way it was listing the price quote, as what your TA was doing was misleading.

To Recap:

For two persons in one cabin:

Cruise Fare: $ 849.00 pp

Taxes Fees and Port Expenses: 131.25 pp

Full Cruise Cost: $ 980.25 pp

For two persons: $1960.50 for two

For one person sailing solo:

Cruise Fare: $ 849.00 pp

Single Supplement: 849.00

Taxes Fees and Port Expenses: 131.25 for one person only

Full Cruise Cost: $ 1829.25 p

The difference between ($1960.50-1829.25) is the $131.25 that does not get charged twice if only one person sails. This is the only amount that will be refunded if the second person booked is a no-show.

It's possible the TA is playing tricks I suppose.

I pulled out my paperwork for my same cruise LAST year, before these changes.

Cabin was shown at a discount fare

Plus Port Fees

Plus taxes

I booked as a single and was billed

discounted Cabin fare x 2

Taxes 1 time

Port fee 1 time

This year I'm being billed

discounted cabin fare plus the port fee x 2 (or whatever you want to call it - and which is now shown as JUST cabin fare, but the total is the same as what was shown as prior - cabin plus port)

Taxes x 1

NO ITEMIZED PORT FEES

Sure seems like I'm paying Port fees for 2 now that it's not itemized out.

I'm fairly close with my travel company, and have had coffee and drinks with them and the marketing manager on board and in Michaels lounge, I guess I'll bring this topic up this year to se what gives. It would suck to see that the TA is playing games, in essence you are telling me they are charging the port fees extra and pocketing it?

If so how are they getting it back from X, my credit card charges go thru as Celebrity Cruises, not the TA's name. Seems like X is getting the double charge...

I understand a cabin fare has a portion of it that TA's don't get commission on the NCCF.

So when a port is cancelled how does one know if they got the proper amount refunded? If you are a TA, can you provide a specific calculation of a cabin on Sillie November 30 itemizing out cabin, tax, port, balance of NCCF? Priced as single solo and as a double?

Not being combative, really trying to get factual information, as opposed to assumptions and suppositions. I am very curious about this....It basically is going to help me decide if I have a rogue TA and need to change out to another company. It''s a non issue for double travelers, but a real issue as a solo traveler.

Edited by cle-guy

$674.00 pp cabin fare

$175.00 pp Port Fees

$131.25 pp taxes

----------

$674.00 Crusie fare

$175.00 port fees

$131.25 taxes

------------

$1,654.21 as a solo

$849.00pp Cruise Fare

---------

$849.00 Crusie Fare

$131.21 "Taxes and Fees"

-----------

Actually, what you have proof of is that your travel agency was playing a bit of a game with its price quote. I have seen agencies do this before to make you think you are getting a deal from them, compared to others who are listing the cruise fares in the same way that Celebrity does.

The $175.00 that was originally listed as "port fees" is what Celebrity calls NCCF (non-commissionable cruise fare). NCCF can include whatever the cruise lines want it to include, including some fees levied by the port, but the amount listed as NCCF is part of your cruise fare and will not be refunded if the second person is a no-show.

You will not see NCCF listed separately on your booking confirmation from Celebrity. It will say "Cruise Fare", and in the case of your cruise, the amount will be $849 ($674 + $175).

The third amount, the $131.25, which your agency originally listed as "taxes", is what Celebrity lists on their booking confirmation as "taxes, fees and port expenses". (I just booked a cruise directly with Celebrity this morning, and my booking confirmation still says “taxes, fees and port expenses”.) THIS is the amount you do not have to pay twice, if you are sailing as a solo.

In all of Celebrity's advertising, the NCCF amount ($175) is added to the basic Cruise Fare ($674) to make the advertised Cruise Fare, for this sailing, of $849.00. To this would be added the $131.25 for "taxes, fees and port expenses", which would give the full cost of $980.25 for the first passenger.

Two passengers would be double that amount, or $1960.50.

Celebrity made your agency change the way it was listing the price quote because what your TA was doing was misleading.

To Recap:

For two persons in one cabin:

Cruise Fare:.......................................$ 849.00 pp

Taxes Fees and Port Expenses:........... ....131.25 pp

Full Cruise Cost:.................................$ 980.25 pp

For two persons:................................$1960.50 total

For one person sailing solo:

Cruise Fare:.......................................$ 849.00 pp

Single Supplement:............................. ..849.00

Taxes Fees and Port Expenses:............. ..131.25 for one person only

Full Cruise Cost for solo traveller:.........$ 1829.25

The difference between two persons in one cabin ($1960.50) and one person sailing solo ($1829.25) is the $131.25 that does NOT get charged twice if only one person sails.

On a reservation for two people, this is the only amount that will be refunded if the second person booked is a no-show.

(I just booked a cruise directly with Celebrity this morning, and my booking confirmation still says “taxes, fees and port expenses”.)

This is what I see when I book, no note at all about fees or port expenses, only "Government Taxes"

XFees_zpsee2192dd.jpg

It's possible the TA is playing tricks I suppose.

I pulled out my paperwork for my same cruise LAST year, before these changes.

Cabin was shown at a discount fare

Plus Port Fees

Plus taxes

I booked as a single and was billed

discounted Cabin fare x 2

Taxes 1 time

Port fee 1 time

This year I'm being billed

discounted cabin fare plus the port fee x 2 (or whatever you want to call it - and which is now shown as JUST cabin fare, but the total is the same as what was shown as prior - cabin plus port)

Taxes x 1

NO ITEMIZED PORT FEES

Sure seems like I'm paying Port fees for 2 now that it's not itemized out.

I'm fairly close with my travel company, and have had coffee and drinks with them and the marketing manager on board and in Michaels lounge, I guess I'll bring this topic up this year to se what gives. It would suck to see that the TA is playing games, in essence you are telling me they are charging the port fees extra and pocketing it?

If so how are they getting it back from X, my credit card charges go thru as Celebrity Cruises, not the TA's name. Seems like X is getting the double charge...

I understand a cabin fare has a portion of it that TA's don't get commission on the NCCF.

So when a port is cancelled how does one know if they got the proper amount refunded? If you are a TA, can you provide a specific calculation of a cabin on Sillie November 30 itemizing out cabin, tax, port, balance of NCCF? Priced as single solo and as a double?

Not being combative, really trying to get factual information, as opposed to assumptions and suppositions. I am very curious about this....It basically is going to help me decide if I have a rogue TA and need to change out to another company. It''s a non issue for double travelers, but a real issue as a solo traveler.

1. I'm fairly close with my travel company, and have had coffee and drinks with them and the marketing manager on board and in Michaels lounge, I guess I'll bring this topic up this year to se what gives. It would suck to see that the TA is playing games, in essence you are telling me they are charging the port fees extra and pocketing it? No, no, no, not what I am saying.

2. If so how are they getting it back from X, my credit card charges go thru as Celebrity Cruises, not the TA's name. Seems like X is getting the double charge... What your TA was calling "port fees" (the $175) is the NCCF. Celebrity collects this amount from both people in a cabin, or from you and from the single supplement when you sail solo. So yes, they do get the NCCF twice, regardless if you sail solo.

3. I understand a cabin fare has a portion of it that TA's don't get commission on the NCCF. Yes. Your TA was calling it "port fees".

4. So when a port is cancelled how does one know if they got the proper amount refunded? It will be a portion of the amount you paid for what Celebrity lists as "taxes, fees and port expenses". I don't think you can tell if you received the right proportion of the full amount, if one port is cancelled.

5. Not being combative, really trying to get factual information, as opposed to assumptions and suppositions. (Yes, I understand that. ;))

I am very curious about this....It basically is going to help me decide if I have a rogue TA and need to change out to another company. It''s a non issue for double travelers, but a real issue as a solo traveler. No, you don't have a rogue TA, and he is not pocketing anything he shouldn't be. He was trying to make his cruise fare look lower than others who quote the cruise fare in the same way that Celebrity does (his cabin fare shows as $674, Celebrity and other agencies will show $849). Celebrity told him to cut it out, and apparently he has. There might have been some statute passed that required that, making this issue broader than just Celebrity, but I don't know for sure.

Sorry Curt, I don't know how I managed to post that last reply before I had finished editing it.

And again, I would like to emphasize that I do not mean, in any way, that your travel agency is pocketing any funds to which he is not entitled. But it is playing games to make their cruise fare look lower. Your cruise fare, per person, was $849 plus "taxes, fees and port expenses". If you had booked directly with Celebrity, that is how the cruise fare would have shown up on your booking confirmation.

Edited by elena7seas

Hi Curt:

With respect to your last post...I assume that is a screenshot from an online booking.

I am talking about the "booking confirmation" that you would receive from Celebrity by email, if you called in to book a cruise.

Actually, what you have proof of is that your travel agency was playing a bit of a game with its price quote. I have seen agencies do this before to make you think you are getting a deal from them, compared to others who are listing the cruise fares in the same way that Celebrity does...................
Excellent explanation!

We have also encountered such situations, where a TA juggles the numbers, making it appear that they are giving you a great deal, when actually they are not.

Neither the cruise lines nor the TAs identify NCCF separately as such for the customers.

We, the customers, need to look at the bottom line and compare real total costs + perks offered from each source, actually comparing apples to apples before deciding which to choose.

Even then, the perceived value of some of the perks being offered can be confusing.

The source of the "best" offer can vary from one cruise to another, which is why many passengers will use different travel agencies for different cruises, and in some cases decide not to use a TA at all.

As you stated, Celebrity currently combines "taxes, fees and port expenses" listing it as one line item.

It is charged only once for one person in a cabin, and twice for two people.

Edited by fleckle

Excellent explanation!

We have also encountered such situations, where a TA juggles the numbers, making it appear that they are giving you a great deal, when actually they are not.

Neither the cruise lines nor the TAs identify NCCF separately as such for the customers.

We, the customers, need to look at the bottom line and compare real total costs + perks offered from each source, actually comparing apples to apples before deciding which to choose.

Even then, the perceived value of some of the perks being offered can be confusing.

The source of the "best" offer can vary from one cruise to another, which is why many passengers will use different travel agencies for different cruises, and in some cases decide not to use a TA at all.

As you stated, Celebrity currently combines "taxes, fees and port expenses" listing it as one line item.

It is charged only once for one person in a cabin, and twice for two people.

Thanks Fleckle.

It is definitely difficult to untangle what you are being offered, sometimes.

Hi Curt:

With respect to your last post...I assume that is a screenshot from an online booking.

I am talking about the "booking confirmation" that you would receive from Celebrity by email, if you called in to book a cruise.

Hi Curt:

With respect to your November cruise on Silhouette, ask your TA to send you the Booking Confirmation-Guest Copy that he can request from Celebrity. He can receive it immediately, and email it over to you in no time. It will show you exactly how Celebrity breaks down your fare, and what it calls the components.

You are not surprised that the website calls it something different, are you? :D

P.S. I think the amount of the "taxes, fees and port expenses" have come down slightly since you booked.

Edited by elena7seas

This is what I see when I book, no note at all about fees or port expenses, only "Government Taxes"

If you go to the Celebrity website and look up the Summit for Aug. 31, 2014, where it initially shows the prices, (before you even click on "Go to Offers") it states

"Taxes, fees and port expenses of 213.30 USD per person are additional."

You are only charged that amount once for one person, and it remains the same regardless of which cabin category you choose.

This is what I see when I book, no note at all about fees or port expenses, only "Government Taxes" ....

I am 100% with cle-guy on this discussion.

I have always understood that Port Charges are included in the basic fare quoted in the market, eg $849 as per cle-guy's example.

Cruise fare $674

Port charges $175 (yes, it is a NCCF as discussed by Elena7Seas)

Advertised fare $849

Then Govt Charges in addition

So I agree with cle-guys assertion that solo travellers are now paying more. I too noted this change about a year ago. Whether the $175 are Port Charges or some other NCCF we are now paying it twice.

I do not believe there is any trickery by the TA - just a simple change of policy by X. It should be noted that other cruise lines (Oceania for example) have always charged a full 200% of the twin share rate, so I expect X decided to do the same and make a bit more money.

Hi Curt:

P.S. I think the amount of the "taxes, fees and port expenses" have come down slightly since you booked.

by 4 cents, according to the Tax calculation, but I can't figure out the port fees now can I :D

I just noticed on the website of a large online TA that they state in relation to the basic cruise fare (ie the $849 we have been talking about) that it ...

"includes port charges but does not include airfare or (where applicable) airport or government taxes or fees."

This has always been my understanding of how cruise fares are quoted. If something has changed it would be good to know.

.............I do not believe there is any trickery by the TA - just a simple change of policy by X. It should be noted that other cruise lines (Oceania for example) have always charged a full 200% of the twin share rate, so I expect X decided to do the same and make a bit more money.
It could be that prices are displayed differently on the Celebrity website you see in New Zealand from the one we see here in the USA.

For every Celebrity cruise, we can clearly see the amount for Taxes, fees and port expenses.

That is a per passenger charge, so when we book a cabin for one person it is only charged once, as others have correctly stated previously.

Edited by varoo

I finally found my initial inquiry on the Transatlantic Eclipse to Southampton crusie I did last year with my TA as a single. This was part of their reply when quoting rates on various cabin types:

- Royal Suite is $3,829 per person.

(Above prices are based on double occupancy. Port charges of $220pp and taxes of $129.01pp are additional.)

I was then charged

$3,829.00 x 2 = $7658.00

$ 220.00 x 1

$ 129.01 x 1

-----------

$8,007.01 which matches my credit card billing statement as billed by celebrity (I booked after final payments, so it was billed in full)

This year it would be calculated as:

($3829 + $220) = $4049 x 2 = $8098

$129.01 x 1

----------

$8227.01

Now how can anyone not see that X has changed the billing, so singles now pay double those NCCF fees. Wether it's port fees, or other fees or whatever they want to call then, whatever, in the past I only had to pay that portion of the cruise fare 1 time as a solo. Now it's required 2 times, and buried in the fare as the TA can't itemize it out separately any longer.

Let's not get lost in the language of what they were/are -- Port fees or fees and taxes or NCCF charge -- however they are or what they are, point is X is now forcing the fee down singles throats in duplicate, not allowing them to pay them only once.

Edited by cle-guy

It could be that prices are displayed differently on the Celebrity website you see in New Zealand from the one we see here in the USA.

For every Celebrity cruise, we can clearly see the amount for Taxes, fees and port expenses.

That is a per passenger charge, so when we book a cabin for one person it is only charged once, as others have correctly stated previously.

No ... I am looking at a US based website.

Actually, I am intrigued that X now includes "port expenses" in "Taxes, fees and port expenses". But are port expenses the same as port charges?

But the bottom line here is that I agree with cle-guy - since about a year ago singles are now being charged more. Plus we generally can't book lower priced guarantee fares and there are fewer single supplements less than 200% in the Exciting Deals - so overall I feel that we get a raw deal.

No ... I am looking at a US based website.

Actually, I am intrigued that X now includes "port expenses" in "Taxes, fees and port expenses". But are port expenses the same as port charges?

The X website of course could just not have proper language, yes the page where you select cabin category and enter your number of PAX, Captains club etc. says taxes and port fees, but as shown in the image I posted back a page in this thread, when going to confirm the payment it now just says Government Taxes and Fees, no mention of Port. And another poster says their emailed confirmation says taxes and port fees, which again could be left over from when they did itemize out and their genius web designers forgot to modify the form.

So the question is now, which of the 3 ways X words it is correct, the category selection page, the confirm reservation page, or the emailed printable confirmation page

But seems to me the math shows that port fees are now buried in cabin fares no matter how you slice and dice it, or what you want to call the terms.

• If so how are they getting it back from X, my credit card charges go thru as Celebrity Cruises, not the TA's name. Seems like X is getting the double charge... What your TA was calling "port fees" (the $175) is the NCCF. Celebrity collects this amount from both people in a cabin, or from you and from the single supplement when you sail solo. So yes, they do get the NCCF twice, regardless if you sail solo.

Elena,

This paragraph gets to the "meat" of my point I think.

Last year, this was NOT charged 2 times for a solo, this year it is being charged twice, by being included within the cabin fare.

See my math I posted today here in post #71

Edited by cle-guy

...........Last year, this was NOT charged 2 times for a solo, this year it is being charged twice, by being included within the cabin fare.

See my math I posted today here in post #71

I was puzzled and could not figure out why others were able to book solo cabins and be charged the amount for taxes, fees and port expenses only once, while you were being charged twice.

Tonight I was looking at some Aqua Class solo cabins on Summit cruises that showed the prices correctly for one person, with no problems at all.

Having some free time, just out of curiosity I decided to play detective and take a look at that Eclipse transatlantic for Nov. 9.

Sure enough, the prices on the Aqua Class cabins on the Eclipse were correct as well, only charging the fees for one passenger, so I was even more puzzled.

But when I decided to take a look at the pricing for Royal Suites on the Eclipse, suddenly those double prices showed up.

So I checked out a Royal Suite on the Summit to see if it would do the same.

It only charged the fee for taxes, fees and port expenses once.

If you care to check it out yourself to see if it does the same for you, I was looking at the Summit for Nov. 8, 2014. The taxes, fees and port expenses were $69.82 per person.

I only looked at the base fare for a Royal Suite (without putting in any discount categories or special codes) and it was $5698.00,.

It added the $69.82 once, showing the full balance as $5767.82.

I decided to retrace my steps to see if I could figure out why it was charging the double fee for a Royal Suite on the Eclipse, but not on the Summit.

Then ta-da (drum roll) -- It turned out that right after I clicked on Book Now for the Royal Suite, the Eclipse booking was changing the occupancy on the next screen from 1 passenger to 2, while the Summit was leaving it alone as 1 passenger.

Why it did that, I have no clue.

But the Summit calculation was based on 1 passenger, while the Eclipse calculation was based on 2 passengers.

It is apparently just a glitch in the system, not a change in the company's pricing policy.

In any case, if you can get hold of a live human being at Celebrity who is even half-way capable, you should be able to get your NCCF charge changed back to one passenger.

Or on the other hand, it might be easier simply to book a different cruise instead and just choose one that calculates the charge correctly in the first place.

It is the Celebrity computer system, after all.

Good luck.