Should I cancel or just not show up?

Wilde_37

Unfortunately my partner can not travel on one of our cruises, but I am going with other friends.

So hopefully someone can let me know if I should inform the TA and cruise company in advance or just have him be a "No Show"?

A few pertinent facts:

We are within the cancellation time - so there would be no implication from the cruise company (the TA will charge $100 cancellation fee for him).

The port fees and taxes are $182. So in theory, I should not have to pay those for my partner - which would put me up by $82.

The cruise was booked as part of the 123 offer.

The cost of the cruise has now risen so cancelling the full cruise and re-booking would be more expensive. The Port Fees and taxes have also risen because the itinerary has changed since we booked it.

If he is just a NO SHOW - are there any implications for me? Can I just arrive at the pier and say that he didn't show up?

And I would suggest doing it before the cancellation without penalty period expires...

Talk about cutting it close - the final date is next Wednesday - and all this is a last minute thing. So my big concern is what would happen regarding the NO SHOW. I'm not too concerned about the cost implications.

Well, for openers, you will have to pay the port charges and taxes if you don't modify your booking. I don't know why you are concerned about a cancellation fee, you are not cancelling. You're still taking the cruise in the same cabin, presumably. Just the number of occupants has changed. You will have to pay the single supplement, of course.

Well, for openers, you will have to pay the port charges and taxes if you don't modify your booking. I don't know why you are concerned about a cancellation fee, you are not cancelling. You're still taking the cruise in the same cabin, presumably. Just the number of occupants has changed. You will have to pay the single supplement, of course.

If there are any single supplements, your travel partner should pay them. Why should you be on the hook because he cancelled?

DON

Is you friend willing to pay his share without going on the cruise?

Because if not, and you end up canceling his booking, you will get reclassified as a single and will have to pay two fares (Probably, because singles usually pay 200% although once in a while its 175%).

Is you friend willing to pay his share without going on the cruise?

Because if not, and you end up canceling his booking, you will get reclassified as a single and will have to pay two fares (Probably, because singles usually pay 200% although once in a while its 175%).

Yes - he is paying his share - so I am not out of pocket. I suppose my concern is the implications of a NO SHOW on the day.

I tend to agree with you. Hopefully the TA will not see it as a cancellation. But the single supplement might be calculated on today's price which (if it is 200%) would considerably raise the overall price - the cruise is currently about $400 more expensive then when I booked it.

Maybe I need to hand this over to the TA for them to come back and tell me the cost implications.

Taxes may be refundable, but about a year or so ago, X starting charging the Port Fees based on double occupancy even if traveling solo, (I always go solo, so get bit by this). SO if you change to a solo reservation you MAY not get it back.

Nothing is harmed with the no show, and possibly they may re-fare for a change and you end up pricing out new.

As y9ou have time, you do have ability to change the name of the passenger up until a few (maybe 7 or 10) days prior to sailing....

Contact TA and make sure you wouldn't be subject to a re-fare or loss of perks before deciding.

I've read one or 2 stories where people get to port, tell them the 2nd isn't sailing and they've been asked to pay the new fare. I don't know how RELIABLE those posts were, but have read them. It may also have to do with if the primary passenger still sails or if it's the secondary sailing. It's possible the primary must stay the same name and if they cancel then the perks they organized may be taken away from the second due to the new rule of passengers needing named at time of reservation to get perks.

We had a last minute emergency a few years ago and as a result were "no shows" for a cruise. No implications whatsoever, with the exception of losing alot of $$ because we didn't have the insurance. Lesson learned.

Personally, I would take the no show approach. One (small) plus is that you'll get two coupon sheets in your room (captain's club). It is not that unusual for one of two individuals sharing a cabin to miss the embarkation because of delays, etc. so there's no risk. If asked, "you think they will be joining at the next port, but you haven't heard from them."

On the other hand, a call to your TA saying that it "might" happen and you just want to know your options would probably be the best way to find out. If I'm correct in guessing your TA (the $100 cancellation fee), you might want to ask for Judy who is their celebrity focal point person.

Single supplement is a killer, almost the same cost as two sharing.....

Yup. The math USED to be:

Cruise fare x 2

+Port Fees X 1

+Taxes x 1

= TOTAL Fare

Now it's:

Crusie Fare x2

+Port Fees x2

+ Taxes x 1

= TOTAL FARE

Celebrity now INCLUDES port fees in displayed fares, and footnotes only the taxes.

People run into travel (or other) issues and miss sailings regularly. Sometimes they forget to bring their passports and can't board. Happens all the time I am sure. Saw some drama of this type on one cruise we were on - in the embarkation area, a boarding family was frantic because someone in their group did not have the right documentation - I think in the end they got it faxed or whatever to them on time, but they easily could have missed their cruise. I would also just keep my mouth shut, board, and don't worry about it. To me not worth the risk of being rebooked or similar to save a very few $$ on port charges (if at all these days, as has been noted).

That said, feedback from someone who actually has done this would be more valuable than my suppositions I'm sure.

Personally, I would take the no show approach. One (small) plus is that you'll get two coupon sheets in your room (captain's club). It is not that unusual for one of two individuals sharing a cabin to miss the embarkation because of delays, etc. so there's no risk. If asked, "you think they will be joining at the next port, but you haven't heard from them."

On the other hand, a call to your TA saying that it "might" happen and you just want to know your options would probably be the best way to find out. If I'm correct in guessing your TA (the $100 cancellation fee), you might want to ask for Judy who is their celebrity focal point person.

Get two sheets. But I assume, without some kind of notification you will pay double gratuities.

Get two sheets. But I assume, without some kind of notification you will pay double gratuities.

They create a separate onboard account for each passenger at the time of face to face check in.

So I wouldn't think the gratuities would come into play.

When doing the online check-in remember they don't actually even collect a full credit card number, only the last 4 digits, so there is not even any chance they can bill the friend's account.

Last January, we were sailing with several friends. While driving to Ft. Lauderdale three days before sailing, one of the couple's dad (he is 98) had a heart attack and was in the hospital. They called me and needed to cancel and wanted to know what to do. Unfortunately, the couple didn't have cancellation insurance (a very long story). To help them out, I called Celebrity on their behalf and asked if I could find others to go on the cruise, could they do a name change.

I was told we could only change one of the names on the reservation at this point (again, we were three days prior to sailing). My sister-in-law was able to quickly make arrangements to join us so Celebrity did a name change and she was able to join us. We did not cancel the person we left on the booking. The other person didn't show up and it wasn't a problem. I know people miss the ship all the time.

This situation is different because we were obviously well after final payment but this is how it worked out for our friends.

Maybe you can look for someone else to join you if you don't cancel your partner and do a name change later. If you leave him on your booking and pay for him, you won't have an issue if you board alone. At least there was no problem for our sister-in-law when she boarded.

Edited by Host Anne

I agree with Host Anne. No sense just paying for something and not using it.

I would see if you could find someone who could do the cruise. Tell them all they would have to do is pay to get there and if they want to put something toward the cruise fare they can but not necessary. Start with family and go from there.

You'd be surprised who could go on a somewhat free vacation if all they would have to do is come up with airfare.