Should I cancel or just not show up?

Wilde_37

Taxes may be refundable, but about a year or so ago, X starting charging the Port Fees based on double occupancy even if traveling solo, (I always go solo, so get bit by this). SO if you change to a solo reservation you MAY not get it back.

I don't know where you get your information, but I've sailed solo twice this year and I was not charged double port fees.

This happened on Silversea, but I was told that it is a standard industry practice: I was scheduled to travel with a friend, but she had to cancel at the last minute due to a medical emergency. Not only did the cruise line keep her money, they charged me the single supplement--which was 100%. I argued and argued, but they insisted, even though it was an all-inclusive line, so they weren't counting on revenue for her drinks and tips, Fortunately, we had insured the trip, and the insurance covered it. The insurer told me that, strange as it sounds, it's standard practice in the industry to keep the canceller's money AND charge the other person the single supplement.

Check with your TA ASAP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know where you get your information, but I've sailed solo twice this year and I was not charged double port fees.

My recent invoices don't line item out port fees any more...

Did you sail in reservations booked before i forget when but something like Sept 2013?

They have allowed prior reservations to stay the same, they are not making the charge retroactive.

Go do a dummy booking now on X website, they don't display port fees anymore, just taxes.

Unfortunately my partner can not travel on one of our cruises, but I am going with other friends.

So hopefully someone can let me know if I should inform the TA and cruise company in advance or just have him be a "No Show"?

A few pertinent facts:

We are within the cancellation time - so there would be no implication from the cruise company (the TA will charge $100 cancellation fee for him).

The port fees and taxes are $182. So in theory, I should not have to pay those for my partner - which would put me up by $82.

The cruise was booked as part of the 123 offer.

The cost of the cruise has now risen so cancelling the full cruise and re-booking would be more expensive. The Port Fees and taxes have also risen because the itinerary has changed since we booked it.

If he is just a NO SHOW - are there any implications for me? Can I just arrive at the pier and say that he didn't show up?

I'd definately check with your TA. If your partner has cancelled, I think you likely will get charged the "double" occupancy rate.One of the posters mentioned the missing docs. We saw that on our last trip in Jan. it was a kid probably about 21 or so. He flew into our fist port with the passport & rejoined the family. That was one PO'ed father, I'll tell you that!

I'm glad to hear that. It just didn't make sense unless ports charged for capacity rather than actual people which I don't think they do.

I'd definately check with your TA. If your partner has cancelled, I think you likely will get charged the "double" occupancy rate.One of the posters mentioned the missing docs. We saw that on our last trip in Jan. it was a kid probably about 21 or so. He flew into our fist port with the passport & rejoined the family. That was one PO'ed father, I'll tell you that!

Can u expand on what that means? Are u saying this kid wasn't allowed to board the ship because he didn't have docs? Do u mean he didn't have passport? Or he didn't have this X edocs?

I'm glad to hear that. It just didn't make sense unless ports charged for capacity rather than actual people which I don't think they do.

And it is quite simple to see that they do not charge double port fees. While you are doing a "dummy" booking, even though you are travelling as a solo, if you plug in 2 persons, you will see the same amount of taxes and fees that you are paying as a solo plugged in twice for 2 people.

You really need to do your own "homework" and not just trust everything you read here on CC. ;)

And it is quite simple to see that they do not charge double port fees. While you are doing a "dummy" booking, even though you are travelling as a solo, if you plug in 2 persons, you will see the same amount of taxes and fees that you are paying as a solo plugged in twice for 2 people.

You really need to do your own "homework" and not just trust everything you read here on CC. ;)

Dummy booking. Millie 7 night Aug 29th Veranda 2A

Book as 1 person:

Cruise fare: $2398

Taxes & Fees:

--Gov't Taxes $201.19

--Fees NONE DISPLAYED

TOTAL $2599.19

As 2:

Cruise fare: $1199 x 2 =$ 2398

Taxes & Fees:

--Gov't Taxes $201.19 x 2 = $402.38

--Fees NONE DISPLAYED

TOTAL $2800.38

The variance of $2599.19 - $2800.38 = $201.19, the Government Taxes for 1 person.

This came to my understanding when my group travel agent changed their policy and booking costs, they used to bill port fees and taxes separate, now only taxes as the port fee is no longer itemized out. They had to change their cruise pricing for the cruise this november due to it after they announced pricing last spring for the cruise when the pricing structure changed in September or October I think (maybe as late as December).

We used to get an itemized Taxes and Port fees figure,. n to we only get taxes, thereofer the port fees are rolled into the canon fare figure, which is charged in duplicate for solos, even though the 2nd pesos isn't part of port.

As I understand ships pay port fees based on not only the number of people on the ship, but there are additional "extra costs" like a fee based on weight, fees for use of longshoremen to tie up, few for the pilot boat and tug boats etc... so the port fees have always bee a "fuzzy" number to get into, so now it's just in the fare so people can't try to calculate their per person charge....and it less cruise lines build a fund over time to cover ancillary costs.

I did a dummy booking yesterday on my upcoming cruise just to see if possibly you were right and they had changed the system. Booking as a single produced one set of port fees and taxes. Booking as a double produced two sets of port fees and taxes, double the amount for one person.

Enough said. Believe what you want.

Get out your address book and find a friend to take the free trip.

It happened to me in March on a TA.

Turns out my friend, who had never cruised before, had a great time.

Confided he had been a little down on his luck and the trip cheered him significantly. Trip he could have never afforded, so in the end,

Win win had good company & let someone else have a once in a lifetime trip.

Get out your address book and find a friend to take the free trip.

It happened to me in March on a TA.

Turns out my friend, who had never cruised before, had a great time.

Confided he had been a little down on his luck and the trip cheered him significantly. Trip he could have never afforded, so in the end,

Win win had good company & let someone else have a once in a lifetime trip.

How did they handle the name change? Were fees associated with doing that?

Heck, I am a bit surprised that nobody on this thread has offered to take the empty space...hahaha

Be sure to book the traditional dining -- if you book select, you will be charged the gratuities up front and may have trouble getting them back and that will likely be worth something.

Not sure about the port charges but seems as though that would be not be legal to charge these for someone that is not on the cruise. Also seems as though if booked as two, then it would be charged. They are always itemized out on the final payment invoice -- let us know what you find out. :confused:

So the travel agent came back to me.

1. They did not charge their $100 fee because the booking was not actually being cancelled.
  2. By removing David from the booking they said I could bring another person free of charge - but I'm already going with friends so don't want to share with someone else, so I'm going alone.
  3. Because I am removing David from the booking they have essentially refunded his cost and charged me a 100% supplement - which just means that it is the same price as before - so no loss or gain there.
  4. They refunded the taxes and fees of $182
  5. I retained all the OBC from the TA, plus my 123 benefits of pre-paid gratuities and Classic Drinks Package.

Then the stinger came... We had used 2 Future Cruise Certificates (FCC) which we had received after our Millennium cruise was cancelled last year (engine trouble). They were valued at $375 each. They refused to allow David's one to be used so have invoiced me for an additional $375.

The problem is that the FCC states that it must be used for sailing before November 2014. So unless I can sort out an extension on that then I am down $193 ($375 less the refund of $182).

I agree. It appears that when traveling as a solo, they only charge taxes, fees and port expenses for one person.

For example,

On the Celebrity website, for the aforementioned

Milllennium Aug 29 veranda 2A

It currently says

"Taxes, fees and port expenses of 201.19 USD per person are additional."

By clicking "Go to Offers"

and selecting Adults 1

It shows $4058.00 for 2A

and then Full Balance as $4,259.19 - (Which is 4058 + 201.19)

However, by selecting Adults 2

It still shows $4058.00 for 2A

BUT Full Balance becomes $4,460.38 - (Which is 4058 + 201.19 + 201.19)

So the travel agent came back to me.

1. They did not charge their $100 fee because the booking was not actually being cancelled.
  2. By removing David from the booking they said I could bring another person free of charge - but I'm already going with friends so don't want to share with someone else, so I'm going alone.
  3. Because I am removing David from the booking they have essentially refunded his cost and charged me a 100% supplement - which just means that it is the same price as before - so no loss or gain there.
  4. They refunded the taxes and fees of $182
  5. I retained all the OBC from the TA, plus my 123 benefits of pre-paid gratuities and Classic Drinks Package.

Then the stinger came... We had used 2 Future Cruise Certificates (FCC) which we had received after our Millennium cruise was cancelled last year (engine trouble). They were valued at $375 each. They refused to allow David's one to be used so have invoiced me for an additional $375.

The problem is that the FCC states that it must be used for sailing before November 2014. So unless I can sort out an extension on that then I am down $193 ($375 less the refund of $182).

Ouch, I guess those who recommended no show had the best idea?

Taxes may be refundable, but about a year or so ago, X starting charging the Port Fees based on double occupancy even if traveling solo, (I always go solo, so get bit by this). SO if you change to a solo reservation you MAY not get it back.

But not my experience...

I've sailed with Celebrity as a solo twice since last July [most recently in April], have three solo reservations with Celebrity [including one I made last month] pending for cruises within the next year, completed two solo cruises with Azamara this year [many, but not all, of their pricing practices are the same], and have two solo reservations with Azamara for next February...

In each case, I've paid--or in terms of future sailings, my invoices reflect--a single charge for Port Taxes & Fees...

Though I couldn't come up with a reasonable rationale for doing so given the nature/intent of the charge, I suppose it's possible that Celebrity applies a different "Port Taxes & Fees" policy relative to suite bookings [i sail in AquaClass or Concierge Class on X; in Verandah staterooms on Azamara]...

I might personally be inclined to question your experience... Those charges do tote up...

I did a dummy booking yesterday on my upcoming cruise just to see if possibly you were right and they had changed the system. Booking as a single produced one set of port fees and taxes. Booking as a double produced two sets of port fees and taxes, double the amount for one person.

Enough said. Believe what you want.

In the booking process, you get a line that says Booking Fees and taxes. When you click the hyperlink, it expands to itemize out those fees and taxes.

It used to show Port fees as a separate line item and taxes as its own line item. Now when you expand you only see government taxes, no longer do you see an amount itemized for port fees.

Can u expand on what that means? Are u saying this kid wasn't allowed to board the ship because he didn't have docs? Do u mean he didn't have passport? Or he didn't have this X edocs?

I was the first one to mention a situation like this. It has been awhile so honestly I do not recall the exact situation. I cannot imagine it would be the Celebrity docs as those could be looked up online and handled at the pier if need be. I am not sure what the exact docs were - as the way it was mentioned to me by one of the crew was 'missing documents'. Obviously they were not going to tell us the whole story. It could have been the passport, or it could have been a situation (this was years ago) where the passport itself was not needed but a birth certificate, drivers license, or some sort of ID was needed. In this case I think it was one of the latter as the info was faxed down and the family was able to board. I am pretty sure it was a birth certificate for a juvenile but cannot say for certain.

Ouch, I guess those who recommended no show had the best idea?

Not really - Celebrity notified me today that I did not have to use the FCC before November but did have to book a cruise before then. I was planning on booking one while on this October cruise - so I still have the $375 FCC and a refund of $182. Happy days.!

I wonder does Celebrity offer double Captain's Club points for solo travellers paying 200%? I know Royal Caribbean does.

Not really - Celebrity notified me today that I did not have to use the FCC before November but did have to book a cruise before then. I was planning on booking one while on this October cruise - so I still have the $375 FCC and a refund of $182. Happy days.!

I wonder does Celebrity offer double Captain's Club points for solo travellers paying 200%? I know Royal Caribbean does.

Nope, Celebrity does not offer double points. I have been sailing solo

for a long, long time....no extra points for us.

I was on a B2B on the Connie in Apr/May along with a 3rd cruise on Adventure OTS. My roomie was sent home for medical reasons at the end of the first cruise. RCCL refunded her unused port charges and taxes, which were sizeable because it was the Baltic, before the end of the 3rd cruise. They didn't charge me anything for continuing solo. They did screw up and use her credit card for my shipboard account on cruise #2 which I didn't notice. I saw the word Visa and assumed it was my card (cruise #1 was fine). We didn't get that corrected until after I got home and I got a call from RCCL that they needed my credit card number and written authorization to make the charge since they don't keep the numbers.

I reserve future cruises onboard always as a solo (200%) but only have to deposit $100. I've added/deleted roommates before and after final payment many times. It has never once caused my fare to change. If I add someone before final payment, I have to pay the additional deposit; after final payment, the additional taxes.

Edit: Royal Caribbean gave me the double points because I had become a solo.

Edited by goofysmom99

In the booking process, you get a line that says Booking Fees and taxes. When you click the hyperlink, it expands to itemize out those fees and taxes.

It used to show Port fees as a separate line item and taxes as its own line item. Now when you expand you only see government taxes, no longer do you see an amount itemized for port fees.

Very true.

Taxes, fees and port expenses are lumped together, not itemized separately.

One person traveling alone pays half the amount for taxes, fees and port expenses of two people traveling together in the same cabin

(as shown in the example detailed previously in post #42).