Flights and reserved seats

canuck36

Hi:

This is a headsup that I discovered this morning and was very disappointed. Half of my flights are with Lufthansa. This is a long haul from Vancouver to Frankfurt, then Rome. I booked it through an agent and was happy with that until this: Lufthansa cannot reserve your seat if you book with an agent. As much as they would like to they do not have any way to do it. I can try the day before the flight, but good luck with that! So I could very well end up in the middle of the middle for 15 hours.

The agent didn't tell me this and should have! So I'm really annoyed with her. However, it might help someone else to be careful when booking.

And I think I should post this somewhere where more people can see it!

Hi:

This is a headsup that I discovered this morning and was very disappointed. Half of my flights are with Lufthansa. This is a long haul from Vancouver to Frankfurt, then Rome. I booked it through an agent and was happy with that until this: Lufthansa cannot reserve your seat if you book with an agent. As much as they would like to they do not have any way to do it. I can try the day before the flight, but good luck with that! So I could very well end up in the middle of the middle for 15 hours.

The agent didn't tell me this and should have! So I'm really annoyed with her. However, it might help someone else to be careful when booking.

I can understand your disappointment. Wonder if you book direct with Lufthansa if that would make a difference? I might suggest you go to the airport early on your day of departure and see if when you check in you may request exit row seats. Airlines often do have unassigned seats, especially exit row that are assigned at the last minute.

We discovered, the only way to book directly with Air France is to do so on line. If we book Air France with an Travel Agent or call the 800 # we are really booking with Delta an Air France partner. When we fly with a carrier we want to book directly with the carrier, not a partner on a code share. So now we book on line with Air France and we are able to get seat assignments from the US to Paris, we do have to get seats on connecting flights Paris to Rome, when we get to Paris. We also have learned we need to check in with Air France the day before on line, so they don't reassign our seats. Traveling today is full land mines. We all live and learn. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Hi:

Try calling the airline with your air reservation number and request seats. The TA should give it to you in the followup documentation they should be providing to you. y contacting the airline directly, they should be able to do so. Last year we booked through RCI's ChoiceAir booking agency and they were able to get the exact seats we requested for both outgoing and incoming flights.

I can understand your disappointment. Wonder if you book direct with Lufthansa if that would make a difference? I might suggest you go to the airport early on your day of departure and see if when you check in you may request exit row seats. Airlines often do have unassigned seats, especially exit row that are assigned at the last minute.

I'm not a Lufthansa frequent flier by any means, but I am a frequent flier, and I can assure you that these days, most exit rows are saved for (a) those who pay extra, or (b) frequent fliers who can grab them for free. It's highly unlikely to just show up at the airport and get an exit row these days.

Hi:

Did you communicate your frustration with your TA?

Are you sure she can't reserve a specific seat for you? That's your best option. She might be able to fix It. If nothing else, you can make sure it doesn't happen again.

I always try to get a seat assignment when i book my flight. My last flight with LH was business class so I don't know their rules for coach, sorry.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi:

I never book with an agent, but something similar happened to me once with a European airline. I called technical support - they have either different phone number, or different extension - find it on the airline's website. The tech guy assigned the seats for me. Don't tell them the whole story, just ask to help as the website won't let you pick the seats. Try it, what do you have to lose?

This is a common practice for a number of European based airlines.

If memory serves....you can pay Lufthansa to pick your seat as others have noted.

Also if you prefer to wait do check the booking window. Many airlines are 24 hours pre flight and others are 30 hours or longer.

With Lufthansa you could have the same seat issue by booking online without frequent flyer or medallion status so don't put all of the blame on your travel agent.

Recently returned from a trip with Lufthansa flights arranged by a TA. Using the record locator number supplied by the TA I was able to choose and reserve seats on the web, in advance for both Trans-Atlantic leg. I was unable to reserve seats on the intra European leg until I did on line check in.

If you booked Lufthansa but are on a codeshare you'll most likely have to take your chances at the airport. This has happened to DD several times in Europe. She's almost always been able to get a window seat.

In reviewing Lufthansa's Policy (see below) it appears you'd be charged for seat selection whether you booked with a TA or with Lufthansa directly.

As much as we slam Air Canada (and they often deserve it) we've become accustom to not having to pay for these things.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Early seat reservation for an extra charge with selected Economy fares

Early seat reservation for passengers booked in selected booking classes (designated W, S, T, L, K) will incur a €25 per seat charge on long-haul flights in the future. The optional service will be introduced as of 28 April 2014. This change brings the additional advance seat reservation service fees in line with those incurred on domestic and European routes, which have been offered at a price of €10 since November 2013. As in the past, all guests may choose their preferred seat at no extra charge when checking in up to 23 hours before departure.

Advanced seat reservation in the selected booking classes becomes an optional service at time of booking. For the remaining booking classes, Economy Class advanced seat reservation remains free of charge. This service in the upcoming Premium Economy Class, Business and First Class also remains free of charge. For HON Circle members and Senators, advanced seat reservation is free of charge in all booking classes.

Seats can also be reserved during or after the booking process with travel agents, online via LH.com, or at Lufthansa ticketing locations.

Deutsche Lufthansa AG

Communications, Lufthansa German Airlines

http://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/press/news-releases/singleview/archive/2014/april/15/article/2912.html

Paying for assigned seats on planes seems to be more and more common. I have noticed even USA domestic flights often have limited 'free' seats. Paid seats often get you the same size seat and leg room as the freebies. But the number of free window and aisle seats can be limited. We are booked to Australia - the $25 charge to reserve seats is well worth the cost to us as there are very few 2 seat aisle window combos on those large jumbo jets.

I'm not a Lufthansa frequent flier by any means, but I am a frequent flier, and I can assure you that these days, most exit rows are saved for (a) those who pay extra, or (b) frequent fliers who can grab them for free. It's highly unlikely to just show up at the airport and get an exit row these days.

I don't know about European carriers, you may be right. We have been able to get exit row seats on American on day of travel recently. Never hurts to ask if you don't resolve the problem prior to departure.

You can pay from $15 to $35 per leg to gty your seat in advance.

Not happy about this either.

That is $30 to $70 to get both your legs in the same seat. (Sorry.)

M

Edited by EdmPair
typo

used Lufthansa on our flight back to the states with an Oceania cruise booked through a TA - as everyone else has said I was able to pay and reserve a seat online without contacting my TA.

since it was a long flight I went ahead and did so...

by the way the middle row behind the bulkhead separating business and coach seems to be reserved for the "basinette" crowd...at least on my flight it was.

I am traveling multiple legs with multiple airlines on a trip in the Fall. The Lufthansa leg is Venice to Frankfurt. As I was arranging seat assignments for all the various flights, I called the U.S. Lufthansa number and spoke to a friendly agent. I was told that I will have to choose seats at the time of check-in. I inquired about early check-in online and she said I could try that 23 hours before the flight. Our flight is less than two hours so it isn't a big deal but I definitely understand your concern as our long overnight flight from IAH - MUC on another airline was originally booked with seats against the restrooms with no recline! And my traveling companion is 89 years old! I changed those seats immediately! All the flights were booked by a TA (my mom contacted before I was signed up to go along) but I am not certain that is the reason for the seat assignment issue as I see there are different rules for the various fare classifications on Lufthansa. Good Luck! You may wish to call this number with any specific questions: 1-800-645-3880

I am traveling multiple legs with multiple airlines on a trip in the Fall. The Lufthansa leg is Venice to Frankfurt. As I was arranging seat assignments for all the various flights, I called the U.S. Lufthansa number and spoke to a friendly agent. I was told that I will have to choose seats at the time of check-in. I inquired about early check-in online and she said I could try that 23 hours before the flight.

Inter-Europe/regional flights on mainline European carriers tend to have flexible cabin configurations unlike U.S. mainline carriers. Seats for the front cabin and pretty much identical to those in the rear, maybe with more legroom and folddown middle seats for more elbow room. The carriers can thus configure the cabin for business class loads. As a result, the airline may not know where the economy cabin starts until just before the day of flight.

I booked LT from TPA>ORD>FRT>VCE operated by United except the last leg. I was told that they can not assign seats on the European flight. I'm OK with it. It's a short flight so no biggie.

Regarding seat fees.....My daughter and I were flying BA from TPA>MIA>LHR. We paid the fees to get aisle seats across from each other on the long haul. Along comes "Mr. I'm Important" and asks me to change seats with his wife 5 rows forward and in the second middle seat of a 2/4/2 configuration. I said NO. Then I was asked 3 more times by the FAs to change seats and I said NO. If he wanted to sit beside his wife, he should have paid the fees. So then he decided to make my flight miserable - he hogged the seat space, felt up my boob with his elbow and slid his leg under mine. I ended this nonsense with a hard elbow into his side and warned him that there would be police waiting for him on landing if he didn't stop. He did. True story. So, if sitting together is important, pay the fees.