Half Moon Cay

Corgi Girl

On our next cruise, the Zuiderdam stops at Half Moon Cay, but the ship departs at 2:30 p.m. That doesn't seem to be much time to spend there. Is this a typical departure time?

An earlier departure than I'm used to, but you have a long haul from there to Aruba. Even with the early departure and a complete sea day in between, you still don't arrive in Aruba until 1:00 PM. Personally, I'd rather spend the time there than at Half Moon Cay, which is OK but nothing special in my view.

Most of the itineraries that I have viewed have Half Moon Quay leaving at 3:00 pm. More and more posters are finding that HAL is reducing the time in ports considerably. The assumption is that it allows the ship more time to cruise to the next port, allowing the ship to reduce its speed and save on fuel.

The 2:30 all aboard time is concerning. By the time you factor in the tender process, you can plan for a start at about 9:00 am. Lunch at 12:00 - 12:30 until 1:00 - 1:30 and then it is basically back to the ship. Not much of a port visit.

We love HMQ and really wish that HAL would spend longer there. We always enjoy beach activities in the morning, have lunch, and would then like to go exploring the island and take in the ski doo rentals in the afternoon.

The reduced port times is one of the reasons that we cancelled our recent Caribbean cruise. There were 4 ports on the 7 day cruise, and when I allowed an hour to get off the ship and an hour to get safely back on, the total time in the 4 ports was just 21 hours. Just not enough.

Edited by cbr663

It's actually a bit longer ride back to FLL from HMC than many of us think.

But, yes, HAL ships are sailing slower these days to save fuel thus ports visits are shortened.

I kind of wish I could be marooned on Half Moon Cay....

Or maybe left by one dam ship, picked up by another. I know the logistics would never work out but wow--what a dream.

I often had that thought while there. I love HMC.

With the shortened times at HMC, the expense of a cabana hardly seems worth it.

Last Dec. a storm came up and we were all ordered off the island and had to wait in long lines for the tenders back to the ship. This saved me numerous calories as I was getting ready to get back in line for seconds at the bbq. I was on the tender for close to an hour as we attempted to get close enough to the ship to debark, but the high winds and waves kept us going in circle. Luckily only 1 person on the crowded tender lost their bbq. Finally the ship was moved to help block the wind, and we went around to the other side. It was still dicey, and I pitied the disabled passengers.

Roz

With the shortened times at HMC, the expense of a cabana hardly seems worth it.

I agree with you. It's expensive enough to book a cabana when you're going to be there several hours. But when the time is cut back as much as it has been, then the cost per hour has skyrocketed.

I always thought HAL should do an overnight at HMC. They could have a big concert on the ship or on HMC and even a fireworks show. Think of the money in fuel they'd save.

Plus couples could take the proverbial moonlit walk on the beach

Edited by Wakepatrol

I always thought HAL should do an overnight at HMC. They could have a big concert on the ship or on HMC and even a fireworks show. Think of the money in fuel they'd save.

Plus couples could take the proverbial moonlit walk on the beach

LIKE!! :o

Thanks very much everyone. I did not realize that HAL was spending less time overall in ports in order to save on fuel costs. It still would be nice to have more time at HMC.

The concerning thing is that, having established a new "norm" of shortened port time to permit slower sailing and reduced fuel costs, will HAL (and other lines) try to tweak it some more- with further shortening of port calls? They will always be looking for ways to reduce costs, so what had worked in the past is likely to be on the table.

Just as with saving on MDR food quality, limiting amount of wine Brough aboard, and cutting staff seem to be continuing processes, one wonders just how hard and long they will squeeze the product to enhance their bottom line.

Hi

I love HMC when I was there last November. I rather stay there longer and skip one of the other ports. I was swimmingthere could not find the beach in other ports and did not want to go alone to them HMC was perfect

MaryLast year we arrived at 8 and left at 2 pm.. Be happy to skip any port after that

Mary

There really isn't much to Half Moon Cay, it's basically just a very pretty stretch of beach. With a dining facility where the cruise line cook a nice BBQ for you. IMO 9:00 till 2:30 is plenty of time there. This is a shot I took a couple of years back.y6yme7y6.jpgetevegyb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Gwa123
spelling

There really isn't much to Half Moon Cay, it's basically just a very pretty stretch of beach. With a dining facility where the cruise line cook a nice BBQ for you. IMO 9:00 till 2:30 is plenty of time there.
... with a couple of bars, some shops, cabanas, villas, and lots of activities. What more do you think should be there?

... with a couple of bars, some shops, cabanas, villas, and lots of activities. What more do you think should be there?

The question was about is 9 till 2:30 enough time IMO yes it is. It's a lovely place wasn't disputing that. BTW there was no bars and just 2 small shops last time we went so maybe it's been developed. Last time for us was 2010

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The gorgeous photos you posted tell the whole HMC story for me.

For people who love beautiful beaches and aqua blue water, how could one think an hour or two is enough? Sigh.......

I keep trying to freeze the color of the water into my brain but when I get home I can never 'pull it back up'. The photos are gorgeous but still not lilke being there. :)