Cruise Director bashes Cruise Critic at Meet & Greet

ny cruisequeen

I don't think we will hear any more from Celebrity. If they have had a word with the CD, it is a private staff matter and not something they would discuss on CC.

They do say they are going to address any issues they have been made aware of and we have had an admission from one poster that they were collecting money for tours onboard, in contravention of their cruise contract (although they did it when they thought no-one was looking)!:D Celebrity Stasi are probably tracking them down at this very moment!!

Edited by Suzy Smith

Onessa, what you suggest are very good ideas, but in reality, most of your things just won't work. It's a matter of logistics and passenger load. How can you have small tour groups when you're trying to accommodate 2800 passengers. Yes, I know that not all 2800 will be taking tours, but if even 1000 were to do so, how could the ports manage? There aren't enough buses or vehicles to accommodate that many in small groups.

A cruise line can't be all things to all passengers. Can you imagine how many different tours they would have to offer in order to accommodate every single passenger's wish list? Joe wants to snorkle, Mary wants to see museums, Scott wants to kayak, Bobo wants to see Catholic Churches, Sid wants to hear about Jewish history, Kevin wants to see a rug factory, Stan wants to visit a shipyard, and 30 people want to golf, and on and on. They just cannot provide tours for every want and desire.

And finally, if you're in a smaller port, and there are lots of other ships in at the same time, how can this small town have enough vehicles for smaller tour groups?

Hi Tony,

Not sure what else we can say.

I think it will be useful for those of us who experienced this event to wait now and see if we hear anything else from Celebrity. Everyone should understand that Celebrity knows quite clearly who registered for this event and were sent invitations. I would suggest that only Celebrity can find out the reason for this experience and that they can decide what kind of information (if any) they will provide to those involved.

DJ

I wouldn't think that you would receive any additional communication from Celebrity on this matter, unless perhaps you also wrote a letter or sent an e-mail, in which case I would expect that you would receive a response by the same means as you registered the complaint.

Celebrity has said they are looking into it and will take whatever action they deem appropriate -- it's a personnel issue now, and as much as you would perhaps like details, you aren't entitled to them nor are you likely to get them.

Very surprised at not only what the CD is reported as having said but that no one there stood up and questioned his statements.

Except for Alaska, where private tours and the cruise line tours were priced the same, we always book small private tours that don't spend half their time at shopping malls. :)

Onessa, what you suggest are very good ideas, but in reality, most of your things just won't work. It's a matter of logistics and passenger load. How can you have small tour groups when you're trying to accommodate 2800 passengers. Yes, I know that not all 2800 will be taking tours, but if even 1000 were to do so, how could the ports manage? There aren't enough buses or vehicles to accommodate that many in small groups.

A cruise line can't be all things to all passengers. Can you imagine how many different tours they would have to offer in order to accommodate every single passenger's wish list? Joe wants to snorkle, Mary wants to see museums, Scott wants to kayak, Bobo wants to see Catholic Churches, Sid wants to hear about Jewish history, Kevin wants to see a rug factory, Stan wants to visit a shipyard, and 30 people want to golf, and on and on. They just cannot provide tours for every want and desire.

And finally, if you're in a smaller port, and there are lots of other ships in at the same time, how can this small town have enough vehicles for smaller tour groups?

If I'm following you, Celebrity and its parent RCCL (a multi-billion dollar travel corporation) are incapable of doing the tours you discuss. Yet Cruise Critic members (most of whom have traveled, but few of whom have any professional travel business experience) are able to set these very tours up. Something does not compute here.

Thom

With over 50 cruises under our belt we have used CruiseCritic extensively to meet and seek out fellow cruisers who share the same interests as ours. For instance we are going on the Constellation next month and we wanted to do a private tour without any mandatory shopping stops. That's not easily arranged if one were to adhere to your guideline of not sharing an e-mail address. We have created an e-mail address that we only use for cruise contacts so it's not a privacy issue. We have met many couples over the years that we remain great friends with as a result of CruiseCritic. Perhaps what would be more appropriate would be if you stated posting your e-mail address is at your own risk and this forum takes no responsibility for your doing so.

In our early days of cruising we did ship sponsored tours and truthfully we didn't enjoy them as much as the personal ones we do now. We hear better, we're not rushed, we seldom wait for those who misplaced their watches and fail to return to the bus at the appointed hour plus I never want to be forced into a particular shopping area or stop. Try doing the Amalfi coast in a ship sponsored tour bus as opposed to a mini-van. I'm much more likely to rebook a cruiseline when I've had excellent experiences on my tours.

I posted my email address in my posting. It is community@cruisecritic.com

I didn't say you should post personal info on the roll call. I said that you shouldn't post your email address so that someone could email you info on the tour.

The info about the tour should be posted, so that you can contact the vendor directly to inquire, and then book, on your own.

Laura

Edited by Don P

I fully agree with your points Don . The post you copied was a response to me.

I very strongly disagreed with it and feel the advice given was not in the interest of most CC members.

It may be in the interest of CC itself but I will continue to use ALL available tools to improve my vacation.

These includes emails and a social media site whose name we are not allowed to use here.:(

My favorite tool remains CC and its roll calls. :)

Edited by richstowe

I fully agree with your points Don . The post you copied was a response to me.

I very strongly disagreed with it and feel the advice given was not in the interest of most CC members.

It may be in the interest of CC itself but I will continue to use ALL available tools to improve my vacation.

These includes emails and a social media site whose name we are not allowed to use here.:(

My favorite tool remains CC and its roll calls. :)

The response from "Laura" is impractical for arranging Roll Call tours...IMHO

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

...You all go to a meeting and hear what I believe was a joke with a bit of British type humour that as mostly Americans you had a hard time understanding...
The President and HQ of the Celebrity are in the US, their ships operate on the US dollar, and the majority of Celebrity customers come from the US. If the CD ends up with a number of passengers feeling insulted, I would say that the CD is at fault and needs to adjust his brand of humor. Yes, everyone needs to try to understand cultural differences, but if numbers of paying passengers feel that they are being insulted, I think it is incumbent on the corporation to make adjustments and not make things hard to understand.

Thom

I really don't see anything but unquestioned acceptance that the C.D. be keel hauled then fired as acceptable.

I question that conclusion.

Just as certain cruise critic members have already stated their disagreement of Cruise Critic policy, we know that many cruise critic members are in competition with the cruise lines just as JC stated. Was his message harsh? Of course. Did it contain a measure of truth? Is anyone going to change their current practice? I doubt it.

Those who were insulted and shocked are demanding capital punishment, a sentence too harsh in my opinion. I've read enough roll calls to know that certain CC members are guilty as charged. I also know that Celebrity charges way too much in relation to most privately arranged tours. We also detest the compulsory shopping stop that may take up a considerable amount of tour time. I will also use privately arranged tours or local taxis in the future rather than taking a Celebrity tour in various ports.

I've had a few days in my life time that I wish I could have changed and erased certain words that I have uttered.

I'm certainly not worthy of throwing the first stone.

I would rather have Celebrity support their staff with a reprimand then cave in to a number of vigilantes screaming for blood. I know that I do not represent a popular point of view but I have cruised with JC and other CDs too often to wish an incompetent and compliant replacement to satisfy, at most, the small number of passengers affected by this this case of foot in mouth disease.

It doesn't surprise me that this CD would make a comment like this. I didn't care at all for his style and, after catching sone of his little show every morning, I would say he's kind of a jerk. Even his little co-host would get visually uncomfortable at some of the things JC would say. I think he tries to be funny and witty but it just comes off as inappropriate. As a CD, one would think you should be a big people person, and he just isn't.

[quote name=

1. no forced shopping stops. If I take the ship's Florence-on-your-own I do not want to be held hostage in a leather shop 10 miles from city center for 45-minutes. I want to spend that 45-minutes in Florence. And don't give me a hard time if I choose to walk back to the ship rather than be forced to cool my heels inside Hilo Hatti's when I can see the ship from your forced shopping stop. Warn me if the traffic is bad or "you can't get there from here" but don't tell me we can't because we can.

Understand your point about the shopping stops as I'm not much of a shopper myself. However, I've noticed on all cruise lines we've been on that sometimes the shopping stop is the only rest area location in the area. Cruise lines know they must provide restrooms and this seems to give them a win-win.....commission on sales and/or free restrooms for the excursion passengers. I have been taken on shopping stops on private excursions for both those reasons, too.

Edited by HokiePoq

I would like Celebrity to determine if any of the passengers who attended the Connections Party complained to anyone in authority while on the ship. Were any ATDs submitted? Were any letters filed? Were there any reports of contacts between the passengers affected and any Senior Officer? Shame on Celebrity if they were notified and did nothing. Shame on the offended passengers if they said or wrote nothing about their feelings while on the ship. The gatherings usually take place early in the cruise, unless you are going West on a TA, giving plenty of time to let what has been reported to settle in and allowing time for a response.

It doesn't surprise me that this CD would make a comment like this. I didn't care at all for his style and, after catching sone of his little show every morning, I would say he's kind of a jerk. Even his little co-host would get visually uncomfortable at some of the things JC would say. I think he tries to be funny and witty but it just comes off as inappropriate. As a CD, one would think you should be a big people person, and he just isn't.

But here's the thing...that's your opinion. I really enjoyed JC and his sense of humor. I've cruised with CD's that were forgotten in seconds because they were NEVER around. ..they allowed their activity staff to be their buffer between them and the passengers, and they made token appearances at big events. JC was just the opposite, and he was visible interacting with the passengers both on the ship and in port. The atmosphere on the ship was positive and pleasant. I attribute that to the people who really set the tone...Captain Tasos and JC.

I guess I must be an inappropriate jerk.:(

The response from "Laura" is impractical for arranging Roll Call tours...IMHO

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Not being able to use email is impractical.

I do think there is a problem with some of the private tours being organized on the roll calls. On some roll calls one person is organizing multiple vans with one tour operator. That I think is going too far. Any one person should only organize one vehicle, which they are going to be in.

I would like Celebrity to determine if any of the passengers who attended the Connections Party complained to anyone in authority while on the ship. Were any ATDs submitted? Were any letters filed? Were there any reports of contacts between the passengers affected and any Senior Officer? Shame on Celebrity if they were notified and did nothing. Shame on the offended passengers if they said or wrote nothing about their feelings while on the ship. The gatherings usually take place early in the cruise, unless you are going West on a TA, giving plenty of time to let what has been reported to settle in and allowing time for a response.

You forgot shame on the passengers if they violated the cruise contract.

As the original poster, I feel it is time close down this thread. It is quickly disintegrating into nastiness and no longer full of healthy discussion.

This thread has taken on a life of it's own, and it has become very negative. People accusing those at the M&M of not understanding what was told to us, not being truthful, having no sense of humor. Accusing us of performing actions, (hawking excursions, setting up private excursion tables, grabbing mikes for announcements, collecting money during the meeting time) that we have all repeatedly denied. Everyone who was ACTUALLY THERE has confirmed this. Accusing us of "mob hysteria" in trying to discredit a CD! Really? Pure snarkiness and not called for!

My intent, as I have stated previously, was for clarification. We all got it. We got guidelines for arranging private excursions. Celebrity said they would look into this. There is no reason not to believe them. We do not need to know the outcome here. If more of us hear the message we were given onboard, then we will know clearly how the cruise line feels. If we never hear it again, then the CD made a faux pas. Celebrity said they value CruiseCritic.

I never called for punitive actions against the CD. I even wrote that I had hoped CJ invited us to the helipad to make it up to us. I have no malice toward him. I was on vacation. He sure surprised us all, but we were not assaulted. We were, as I stated twice, a very sedate, educated, polite group. We listened. We left. Yes, we discussed it, and I still wondered about it when I got home. The is no "shame" in the fact that I waited and sought information instead of reporting him. I did not know if there was anything to report as I thought, as we all did, that perhaps this was company policy!

I asked on my upcoming Roll Call if anyone had heard the CD's statement on any of their cruises and it was suggested I try to post it here. So I did. That is simply and honestly how it started...but not where it is now. Some valuable discussions came out from this early on, but now the topic has been covered. I think it is time to move on. Happy cruising!

I've only asked questions and have not drawn conclusions. I said a long time ago that this thread should be closed and that Celebrity should investigate and take action if required. But, do I understand from your comment that other than talking amongst themselves no one, to the best of your knowledge ever said or wrote anything to anyone in authority expresses their feelings? Do I also understand that the CD on his own initiative invited the passengers to the helipad and that may have been to say he was aware of what he said and perhaps wanted to apologize? I believe that this will be a very short investigation if my interpretation is correct.

Edited by Orator

I have to agree with Cindy regarding our experience with JC on our cruise, which was the one following her Baltic cruise. He was very funny and actually the most memorable (in a good way) CD that we have had on 10 cruises, especially when he and Capt Tasos were interacting together.

I believe that JC must have said what is reported here as there have been enough people that attended to report he was insulting, even though that was never our experience with him on our cruise. Sounds like he came on too strong and he should be reprimanded. Firing seems harsh for a one time out of line comment. Celebrity should apologize on his behalf since he is their employee.

We can only hope that Celebrity will take away from this lengthy board discussion that CC members are valuable to each cruise line and that they will not be able to meet all of the needs of their passengers through their own sponsored tours. It should be ok to find alternative tours or strike out on your own and not be made to feel guilty that we are hurting the cruiseline. Most of us are repeat cruisers and talk in a positive manner regarding our cruises so that promotes cruising, not hurts it.

I've only asked questions and have not drawn conclusions. I said a long time ago that this thread should be closed and that Celebrity should investigate and take action if required. But, do I understand from your comment that other than talking amongst themselves no one, to the best of your knowledge ever said or wrote anything to anyone in authority expresses their feelings? Do I also understand that the CD on his own initiative invited the passengers to the helipad and that may have been to say he was aware of what he said and perhaps wanted to apologize? I believe that this will be a very short investigation if my interpretation is correct.

I have no idea if anyone reported this on board.

I explicitly wrote that I had HOPED he invited us.

I have no idea if anyone reported this on board.

I explicitly wrote that I had HOPED he invited us.

If you noticed others who attended the CC Party on the helipad it was either the Cd or Captains way of apologizing. Very few are invited to the helipad. I've only been invited when I was a top cruiser, or in a Suite , at the Master's Table or Zenith. I was invited once by a HD who I knew quite well. Other than those cases I have never been invited. It was not an accident if a number of those who were offended were there. If only you were there, it was just a personal invitation to you.

Sailing without them and then flying them to the next port is so not the same thing as sailing without them and then they are on their own.

I wrote that it was a good reason. However, you also shouldn't put inaccurate statements down to set expectations.

If the plan - which is what it appears to be - is that you won't miss the ship, write that. Not malarkey with an * that the ship won't sail when it will.

If you noticed others who attended the CC Party on the helipad it was either the Cd or Captains way of apologizing. Very few are invited to the helipad. I've only been invited when I was a top cruiser, or in a Suite , at the Master's Table or Zenith. I was invited once by a HD who I knew quite well. Other than those cases I have never been invited. It was not an accident if a number of those who were offended were there. If only you were there, it was just a personal invitation to you.

Maybe that's something this staff on the Constellation likes to do. We had a fabulous Stockholm sailaway party on the Helipad. It appeared to be a mixture of Cruise Critic people (lots from our roll call), top cruisers, and suites.

Too many large cuts of the profits leaving less than an adequate amount for

quality and safety.

1) Unless this has changed, cruise excursion sales staff did not often have

any detailed knowledge of the tour and certainly there have been no summary

video's to provide an idea of what is to come. Even movies have trailers.

2) Too often there were tours in risky environments. Narrow mountain roads,

rocky climbing where too easy to break an ankle (Hawaii tour) and no backup against getting lost.

3) Poor quality earphone and recording equipment. Old and obsolete.

4) Good quality guides have been the rule though to be fair.

5) Not efficient use of time in my opinion.

6) Insufficient notice of current weather...hot cold rain jacket...etc..averages not updated for the current day.

7) No snacks and not enough water. At those prices.........

Yes in my opinion, generally poor value. Maybe they should charge more to

increase the quality because I don't see it.

• Administrators

Let me clarify my email comments

Someone posts minimal info about a tour. Everyone responds with their email addy and "send me info"

Instead we would like to see all the tour info posted with the tour ops contact info and, if necessay, the OP's email.

Let me also state that the info posted by Celebrity was a result of my inquiry. The fact that they stated this wont occur in the future is good enough for us here at Cruise Critic. Therefore Im closing this thread

Laura