Cruise Director bashes Cruise Critic at Meet & Greet

ny cruisequeen

Wow....if that's what he actually said that CD was way out of line..

wrong time and place and off topic in a big way....how rude to the Master of the ship and other guests..

Agree. And not to mention very, very dumb. His name is now out here for higher ups to find out about. CC stock is now selling at record highs due to website traffic and influence and smart onboard staff know to curry the favor of its CC guests. On our winter NCL Panama Canal cruise, the hotel director not only had the usual gathering but a followup at the end with free drinks at a bar to hear criticisms and suggestions. We were all invited on a bridge tour, too. Never had that happen on a ship of any line before. However, on HAL, the roll call tour organizers (who were suite passengers) met with management and arranged priority tenders for the CC tours. On one of our RCCL cruises, the staff, including the cruise director made the CC tours and anyone else trying to get off the ship wait until EVERY ship's excursion had left. This would have ruined a number of the tours. Our fearless Aussie leader held up the Australian flag on an umbrella and we marched off after him looking the other way as they tried to stop us. Other ships I'd been on of other lines had two gangways, not just one to try to hold private tours hostage for punishment/discouraging. Not sure about Celebrity as I took all ship's tours the time we sailed before but will sure find out in January on the Infinity where we are on roll call tours for all but one port.

Edited by HokiePoq

I don't have a comment about what JC said specifically, but I do know sometimes people say the wrong things, at the wrong times, and give anyone the benefit of the doubt. No need to crusify him, or any staff member really. I have read a few other threads here (like the Who's onboard thread) where the comments about staff being better than others seem so personal they make me cringe. It's easy to comment behind the veil of anonymity.

I am so glad you wrote this--I agree. A number of times I have read posts complaining about crew members, either naming names or identifying them by position so it was clear who was meant, and thought how unfair it was for some anonymous cruiser to disparage someone so publicly without giving the crew member any opportunity to defend himself/herself. Even if a criticism is valid, I don't think a public forum like this is the way to air a grievance. Crew members, even higher level captains and cruise directors, are just doing a job trying to earn a living--they are not celebrities that can expect some loss of privacy as part of their chosen profession. Thanks for expressing what I have often thought.

Regarding the crew member's criticism of Cruise Critic, I actually think it is somewhat refreshing to hear someone's candid views about passenger behavior that the crew member doesn't like. He is probably right that these private excursion groups do hurt the cruise line; and people defending the practice are right that it saves money and seems within their rights to do it. We all (presumably) like Cruise Critic and want to defend it, but I think we can survive hearing a different point of view. Cruise Critic (and us you use it) will continue on just fine and so will the cruise lines (and their excursion businesses).

Am I the only one that "got" the joke made by the Cruise Director.

Obviously he hit a nerve with some of you and "you were oh so shocked" you could not comment. Really?

Who actually asks the Cruise Director if they can ask the Captain a question? The Captain was right in front of you, if you speak up he would have heard you. You blew a chance to get an answer. Or, maybe you were feeling a little guilty?

Did any of you actually notice what the Cruise Director's sense of humour was during the rest of the cruise. Did you watch any of his antics on TV?

Stepping Back...

Often times there is so much bragging about how much is saved by going with a private group that its intoxicating and people are inclined to jump on the 'cheaper than the cruise line bandwagon'...

And often times tours are just as occupied or going to exactly the same places that the cruise line does that the brag is just plain silly.

Going with a known and friendly group is a special time no matter the size or number of buses.

The bragging that it is cheaper is cavalier and cheapens it…at least IMHO.

Perhaps this is the tongue-in-cheek point that the fellow was trying to make.

:o

I don't know if anyone mentioned this as I did not read all of the early posts: Ship tours are actually contracted with local tour companies and are not owned or operated in most cases by the cruise line itself!

In Alaska, I tried to book a whale watching tour with a highly rated company I found in CC but was contacted by the company with the information that their tours were fully contracted to Celebrity and I would have to book with them.

Wife and I have been on many tours both with the ship excursions and on tours we have arranged ourselves with private companies. Ship excursions have always been much more expensive than private tours and have always been crowded and often very rushed in comparison to smaller private groups.

All cruise lines including Celebrity have to either control price differences or make the tours more special in some way........perhaps in enhancing the hours, training and responsiveness of the excursion desk people would be a good start.

I was on this cruise and share "Bounce's" take on it. The independent tour group did meet before the M&G but early enough to have it wrapped up before the starting time of the M&G. Money was collected fairly discreetly because the organizer had prepaid for two of the tours. The tours were completely full from e-mail exchanges prior to the cruise so there was no solicitations before, during, or after the M&G. I take blame for collecting the money on the ship - as I have organized non-cruise related activies before, I've gotten burned with no shows so I suggested to the organizer that pre-collection was smart.

JC did announce the captian had a welcome event for new employees just 15 minutes after the M&G start so he couldn't stay but the captain was very visiable and approachable the remainder of the cruise. I think JC's natural speaking voice and demeanor is a bit "preachy" even when he's joking. Every night after the show he'd remind us that we needed to be back on ship at "FIVE FORTY FIVE" the next day. Other than the M&G, I thought JC's interaction with the activity manager Mark (the Daily Show) and the Captian were hilarious.

Another nice touch of the cruise is that CC was invited for a private sailaway on the helipad and we had the pleasure to cruise out of one of the most beautiful ports (Flam). On a side note, unfortunately the invites came a little too late - those that didn't return to their rooms before sailaway missed the invite.

We only did one shore excursion with the ship - my first ship excursion in the 3 cruises I've done - the Flam Railway. I believe the tickets if purchased from the railway are $60-70 and we paid $114 including a waffle/coffee break so that's one of the lessor mark-ups I've seen. For that we were herded to the railway (it's a couple blocks from the ship so no bus needed), herded onto the train. We got to a hotel for waffles and it was 100 people fighting to get waffles and coffee like we don't get enough food on the ship! Someone bumped into me as I had 2 full hot cups of coffee. It just wasn't pleasant. I loved the private excursions, as I have on previous cruises - much cheaper, enjoyable, and inclusive.

Overall it was a really good cruise. I would go with Celebrity again but probably avoid most ship excursions.

Just out of curiosity was the pre-meeting in the same location as the M&G? If it was in the same location were there any ships staff there during the pre-meeting that would have heard what the function of that pre-meeting?

How large was the pre-meeting? How large was the M&G?

If it was in the same place, with ships employees around, and more then just a few people then I can see why it might have drawn the reaction.

Edited by RDC1

I would rather be on a larger bus with a huge window than stuck in the middle of the back seat in a minivan (and yes, on every private excursion, SOMEONE will be there).

I like the security of knowing I'll be back to the ship on time, and taken care of if we are not.

They cost a little more...to me that's fine.

But to each their own, I think the CD was way out of line with his comments.

A tour with 30 people at a site with wireless headphones with the guide rushing thru and people trying to keep up is all too typical of cruise line excursions. The private small group excursions, groups of eight or less I have never been disappointed. The private tour operators will get you back on time. People who miss the ship are not those who take private tour excursions. They are people who take a taxi or local transportation and lose track of the time. Private tour operators are not going to mess up because their name will be mud on Cruise Critic and TripAdvisor. While of course I like the usually lower price of private excursions it's not about that to me. It's about the better experience of the smaller groups.

I don't look at it as they are trying to compel everyone to book their excursions, even though they would love if everyone did. I look at it as they don't want someone selling someone else's product on their ship that they sell. It would be like someone selling dresses inside Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus at a lower cost than what the stores sell them for. There are many ways to still set up alternative (non cruise line) shore excursions, one just doesn't have to do it in the face of the cruise line.

While I am against what you described myself, that is not the impression I have, and not what nycruisequeen subsequently confirmed.

Just out of curiosity was the pre-meeting in the same location as the M&G? If it was in the same location were there any ships staff there during the pre-meeting that would have heard what the function of that pre-meeting?

How large was the pre-meeting? How large was the M&G?

If it was in the same place, with ships employees around, and more then just a few people then I can see why it might have drawn the reaction.

I've asked that question twice, without a response. If the set-up crew overheard the shore excursion planning, they could have mentioned it to one of the officers or CD.

The capacity of the excursions offered on any sailing is not large enough to accommodate a full ship. Which is why there are always a wait list, for 'Sold Out' tours, as they can not provide access to enough tours. They need some of us to do things on our own.

I've asked that question twice, without a response. If the set-up crew overheard the shore excursion planning, they could have mentioned it to one of the officers or CD.

Yep, if it was held in the same place, discussing excursions and having money changing hands then I could easily see how it would raise the reaction. From the cruise line perspective, it would not matter if it was arranged before the actual transaction (turning over money by multiple guests to another) did take place on board. Especially when one considers the language in the various cruise documents.

If people are going to do this, atleast me more discrete and pick a different location.

Now if the pre-meeting was somewhere else, where it would not be associated with the following CC meeting then that is something else.

I suspect from what was said here and the CD reaction that the pre-meeting was in the same place and just before the M&G.

The capacity of the excursions offered on any sailing is not large enough to accommodate a full ship. Which is why there are always a wait list, for 'Sold Out' tours, as they can not provide access to enough tours. They need some of us to do things on our own.

No one says not to.

What the cruise line documents say is basically not to conduct business, as in recruiting others, collecting funds, etc while on board there ship. With that said the only times I have heard of a reaction from the cruise lines is when it is pretty much in their face. When it is discrete and in small numbers I doubt they would say anything. It is the organizing of competing tours in an organized fashion that they tend to respond such as the incident on Princess.

While I am against what you described myself, that is not the impression I have, and not what nycruisequeen subsequently confirmed.
BTW, I was not talking about that particular incident, with my comments. But I do understand why a cruse line would not want a product that they sell, being sold on their premises by someone else. On the other hand, if passengers are discrete, I'm not sure how a cruise line would ever know what they are doing. Edited by NLH Arizona

On one of our RCCL cruises, the staff, including the cruise director made the CC tours and anyone else trying to get off the ship wait until EVERY ship's excursion had left

This happened on our 2010 Eclipse cruise, it took us 3 hrs to get off the ship in Split. CD John Grantham announced later that the only way to ensure getting off the ship early, was to take a ship's tour.

However, on HAL, the roll call tour organizers (who were suite passengers) met with management and arranged priority tenders for the CC tours.

After our experience in Split, I was nervous about getting off Century in Maui for our Rd to Hana private tour, arranged via the Roll Call. At the M & M the organiser spoke to CD John Grantham and requested an early tender, so we could start our tour on time. One of the activities staff organised it and we met in the cinema, prior to being taken to the first tender. John however was still saying that the quickest way to get off the ship was to take a ship's tour.

.......On one of our RCCL cruises, the staff, including the cruise director made the CC tours and anyone else trying to get off the ship wait until EVERY ship's excursion had left. This would have ruined a number of the tours. Our fearless Aussie leader held up the Australian flag on an umbrella and we marched off after him looking the other way as they tried to stop us.....

How did they know who was on their tours and who wasn't? Where did they stop the people? Did they have a list of names that they checked when people were trying to get off? On the cruises (Celebrity and RC) that I have been on I have never seen this. Either it didn't happen or I wasn't aware of it. On my cruises they would get the ship tour people to gather off of the ship and then march them off to their bus. Also, the ship tours were scheduled at different times since there were several in a day. All the passengers were coming and going as they pleased. Didn't someone complain? I would have been super ticked and they would not have heard the end of it from me. That is just plain wrong. I would also never, ever sail on that cruise line again.

As I said, I have certainly even kept waiting until all ships's tours are off the ship, BUT it can be controlled if tenders are used.

However, now that I am Elite, I get priority tender tickets, my experience in Split was when I was still 'Select.'

Ok. That makes sense if there were tenders involved. I guess I missed that part. I have only had to tender one time. I would still be super ticked. I only live 45 minutes from their office and they don't want me showing up. ; ))

Is this something that is common or is it just done by certain CD?

We are elite plus and know that shore excursions are given priority over priority tender. This was especially so on the Solstice although perhaps not as noticeable on the millennium class ships. We asked at the time and were told shore excursion guests are priority for tenders. I had never seen this in writing until I saw it in a flier I received in the last month from Celebrity. I have cut and pasted it below:-

Celebrity Shore Excursions:

Why would you trust your experience to anyone else?

1 Guaranteed

first off the ship

2 No cancellation

penalty

3 Guaranteed

return to ship

Guests on our tours enjoy priority departure in port

A change in plans is hassle-free

If your tour is delayed, we won't sail without you*

Stepping Back...

Often times there is so much bragging about how much is saved by going with a private group that its intoxicating and people are inclined to jump on the 'cheaper than the cruise line bandwagon'...

And often times tours are just as occupied or going to exactly the same places that the cruise line does that the brag is just plain silly.

Going with a known and friendly group is a special time no matter the size or number of buses.

Perhaps this is the tongue-in-cheek point that the fellow was trying to make.

:o

I think more than the reduced cost the private tours are more about the ability to pick and choose where you are going. Most of the time the cost is less, not always, but not having to sit in a bus waiting for "stragglers" or forced to make a stop to "shop" when that is the last thing you want to do, it is mostly about maximizing the limited time you have in a port. We have spent more than the ships tour on occasion but also saw more, enjoyed more based on conversations with others who did similar ships sponsored tours.

We are elite plus and know that shore excursions are given priority over priority tender. This was especially so on the Solstice although perhaps not as noticeable on the millennium class ships. We asked at the time and were told shore excursion guests are priority for tenders. I had never seen this in writing until I saw it in a flier I received in the last month from Celebrity. I have cut and pasted it below:-

Celebrity Shore Excursions:

Why would you trust your experience to anyone else?

1 Guaranteed

first off the ship

2 No cancellation

penalty

3 Guaranteed

return to ship

Guests on our tours enjoy priority departure in port

A change in plans is hassle-free

If your tour is delayed, we won't sail without you*

Thanks for the info Tony.

I am starting a new thread about this because I am curious as to what others think. I also don't want to change this thread from its original topic.

I will post the link as soon as I make the thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43438534#post43438534

Edited by ReneeFLL

...we had a saying to "keep it transparent"- meaning don't let the walkers know if there are any problems...
I'm confused:confused: When did HIDING problems start equally transparency?

I agree that there are times to not bring up problems. However all the definitions I can find for transparent (beyond transmission of light) deal with open and honest, which is NOT hiding problems.

Stepping Back...

I have never found it just about the money. Our private shuttle to the Rome airport from the Civitavecchia port

was waiting for us when we debarked not the other way around. We were dropped off right in front of

the correct airline spot at the airport quickly and efficiently while those who took the RC shuttle waited and waited.

The fact that we said the equivalent of $30 a person (with tip) instead of $90 PP was just a bonus.

I don't care if this is bragging and going private did cheapen it by $120. :D

This shuttle was arranged by me with 3 other couples on CC and confirmed at the M&G.

Edited by richstowe