Cruise Director bashes Cruise Critic at Meet & Greet

ny cruisequeen

Have no idea of how to reach Celebrity. Discovered they are in Miami and their call center is in the midwest (at least not in Asia?). I am a RC stockholder and was truly horrified at this experience. I give some of those around me credit for support to get through this and I must admit that I was extremely pleased with all of our eight port calls (honored to be on Celebrity's last Norwegian cruise RT Amsterdam).

DJ

Please feel free to email us at concerns@celebrity.com.

Just as a FYI: this email address was created to assist specific incidents on Cruise Critic, as we do not have the bandwidth to support all issues that we have currently been receiving. Thank you all for your cooperation!

Hi all,

We're currently looking into this, and will be sure to address any issues that we have been made aware of. We have a great relationship with the Cruise Critic community, which is why we have Roll Calls, and arrange Meet and Greets.

This should not be an issue on any future sailings, and we thank you all for bringing this to our attention.

The bottom line is that this is our vacation. What we do when we are off the ship is our business. We are not committed to do only Celebrity sponsored activities when we pay to cruise with them. I agree that if there were quality, reasonable priced excursions we would do more ship sponsored trips. I will continue to compare private excursions with ship sponsored and pick what works best for me.

What you do when you are off the ship is your business. But, in the case where passengers are using the ship facilities to sell their own excursions to a large number of people is wrong. Celebrity is good about allowing CC members to use a lounge for the M&G and even providing food in many instances, but to then turn around and aggressively organize private excursions during this time is distasteful IMO.

Twice we had the pleasure of sailing on the Equinox with Q (no longer with Celebrity) as our CD. One sailing was in the Eastern Med, where we took more private tours than ships and the other was an 11 night New Year's. Both sailings had a very large CC contingency at the Meet & Mingle. At both gatherings Q made sure to mention in a very positive way, the impact CC has had on Celebrity. He also said they know what makes us happy and what doesn't and they use those comments to make things better.

I know the threads have been negative for the last six months (I personally commented about some changes I noticed on our March Silhouette), but I can't believe Corporate would support their CD's making comments like this which could potentially result in a more negative environment.

Twice we had the pleasure of sailing on the Equinox with Q (no longer with Celebrity) as our CD. One sailing was in the Eastern Med, where we took more private tours than ships and the other was an 11 night New Year's. Both sailings had a very large CC contingency at the Meet & Mingle. At both gatherings Q made sure to mention in a very positive way, the impact CC has had on Celebrity. He also said they know what makes us happy and what doesn't and they use those comments to make things better.

I know the threads have been negative for the last six months (I personally commented about some changes I noticed on our March Silhouette), but I can't believe Corporate would support their CD's making comments like this which could potentially result in a more negative environment.

Read the post by Celebrity Cruises. They are most interested in getting the whole story and support Cruise Critic. Thank you Celebrity Cruises for your attention.

Read the post by Celebrity Cruises. They are most interested in getting the whole story and support Cruise Critic. Thank you Celebrity Cruises for your attention.

What else do expect them to say.

Laura, thank you for taking the time to post helpful guidelines. Hopefully this will help alleviate concerns for the future.

I guess, though, that I am a little confused about the email part as well. For example, I was on a cruise a couple years ago that had a very active Roll Call. A number of us decided to tour together. As the tour was being discussed, all the info was posted. Once the final decisions were made as to who was going, the 'coordinator' of the tour suggested that we provide email addresses so that we did not over burden the rest of the travelers on our Roll Call with the specific details of how we were handling meeting up, etc.. That way she also could quickly notify all of us if something important changed. This seemed like the polite way to handle it so as not to bother those not interested.

Note that we all booked our tours ourselves and she was not handling money or anything like that, but she was our main contact with the tour operator once we had booked. If there was any room left on the tour, anyone on the Roll Call was more than welcome to join us just by asking. I just don't understand why it was wrong of us to provide our emails in these circumstances? If those are the rules I will follow them, but I confess I just don't understand the problem of providing email addresses as long as the purpose is not solicitation of something for sale. Again, I will follow the rules now that I know them, but I am confused as to why it is necessary. Also, one clarification please - is providing email addresses against rules always, for any reason? I see it happening quite regularly on posts so wanted to clarify. Many do not feel it wise, but that is a different conversation.

Thank you for clarifying, and for all your help in general on these boards.

Hi all,

We're currently looking into this, and will be sure to address any issues that we have been made aware of. We have a great relationship with the Cruise Critic community, which is why we have Roll Calls, and arrange Meet and Greets.

This should not be an issue on any future sailings, and we thank you all for bringing this to our attention.

Thanks for responding!! I appreciate that X does follow CC and addresses some of our concerns!:)

You are all berating the Cruise director. Is it not possible that the captain was standing beside him to make sure he made that announcement? I have never seen the captain at a cruise critic party. Have you?

Perhaps the captain was having the cd take the heat for him! I wouldn't be surprised.

One more thought.

They both may have been very embarassed about this and the directive may have come from Miami.

Hi, yes, I have seen the Captain at quite a few of the CC gatherings

I have attendend over the years. Not every single one of course, but

quite a few. Captain, Hotel Director, and other various officers too.

I think it depends on the particular cruise.

quote by In Retirement:

"Isn't Lois wonderful for starting this discussion? I bet we can come up with many more who can report on this threatening experience."

If you were directing your comment to me? I did not start this

discussion. The original poster started this thread and yes, I chose

to reply with a couple of comments, just as many other folks have

done as well.

I never said anything was threatening......not sure where that came from.....

Edited by Lois R

I just reread what the OP stated. There was no talk of being reprimanded for selling or collecting money for tours at a CC party, which we all agree shouldn't be done. The CD said it was our arranging private tours on roll calls that was the problem for Celebrity. I think he may have had in mind his ship, the Constellation and their St Petersburg stops over the summer. That really is one spot where private tours are very popular with their smaller, efficient vans for 2 long days of touring. It must grate on Celebrity to see literally dozens of 16 passenger vans from several private companies filling with customers each morning. Oh, well...

After going on our first Oceania cruise a few months ago, I couldn't believe how reasonable the X excursion prices are. With so many O cruisers doing private tours, O charges prices that are sometimes 2-3 times what X charges. So I am no longer complaining about how much X charges. But I still try to book small private tours whenever I can.

Back to the original topic, JC showed very poor judgement by being extremely rude and insulting his audience. I am sure that he has or will suffer from his actions.

What you do when you are off the ship is your business. But, in the case where passengers are using the ship facilities to sell their own excursions to a large number of people is wrong. Celebrity is good about allowing CC members to use a lounge for the M&G and even providing food in many instances, but to then turn around and aggressively organize private excursions during this time is distasteful IMO.
I am not sure where you get

" in the case where passengers are using the ship facilities to sell their own excursions to a large number of people"

Who is doing this ? IF this ever happened, I'd have no problem with any cruise line taking action.

Hi all,

Thank you for responding !

quote by In Retirement:

"Isn't Lois wonderful for starting this discussion? I bet we can come up with many more who can report on this threatening experience."

If you were directing your comment to me? I did not start this

discussion. The original poster started this thread and yes, I chose

to reply with a couple of comments, just as many other folks have

done as well. I never said anything was threatening......not sure where that came from.....

I returned home to not only deal with the seven hours' jet lag, but acute bronchitis (that I've given to my wife) and a reoccurrence of an inner ear syndrome -- so you can understand my "Lois" substitution for "Iris" (have already sent her a personal apology).

Just saying, at least 50 of us from our Roll Call were in attendance 27 June, and no one will deny that a Cruise Critic "meeting" in which its members are thoroughly criticized is quite an experience? The following hour was a Captains Club reception with drinks and good will towards other frequent-customers. Don't remember anything served for Cruise Critic, but then again I was too shocked and on this ship there is almost always food available.

I wonder how we can reach some consensus about sensible guidelines for Roll Call postings and what each cruise lines expects from its passengers beyond behavioral maturity and responsibility? What to do about the elderly that don't leave the ship? (Charge them more for lost excursion profits?) How about the religious who don't gamble? Those familiar with the port who have private plans? Those who avoid all sorts of "add-ons" during the cruise (and maybe prefer to take more cruises instead?). I figure opening up a competitive retail business on board should have negative consequences. Actually this was our second cruise RT Amsterdam on the Constellation. If the Cruise Critic welcome we received this year had occurred on that Baltic cruise, we would have missed out on the wonderful 26 June cruise. We just need to figure out if Celebrity wants repeat customers with a serious interest in developing their own port experiences. Obviously, Celebrity can't meet the port interests of all of its passengers -- I remember reading during the cruise that Port Excursions could offer private drivers at some ports -- so they would be happy with such last-minute interest. My greatest concern is the realization that Celebrity management of some sort are following our Roll Call discussions (seems creepy). It seems that they could follow some more honest practice to gain information and advice? I wonder how freedom of speech and individual action relates here. I can tell you I spent six months trying to get Cruise Critic and Viking to improve forum and "roll call" options for river cruises and perhaps unfortunately, had to gain my own experience "live" instead.

DJ (still in retirement and still enjoying the vacation-planning experience!)

Next up: "You people have to stop taking your own photos! We sell all the photos you need right here on the ship."

Or will they do as they did to our CC group on our recent Infinity cruise and hold the M&M at 9.30 in the morning on the port day in Cork when most people had tours booked. Yes, ours was private! There was a sea day the day before when it could have been scheduled.

Hi all,

We're currently looking into this, and will be sure to address any issues that we have been made aware of.

Y'all are a class act. Thanks for posting. :)

I was on the OP's roll call and cruise. I elected NOT to attend the CC get together. Why? In the past, morning coffee/pastry or afternoon champagne meet and greets were very informative and many ship's officers attended. It was like a cocktail party, people mingled, usually no mikes, not that much talk about excursions. It has grown into a monster. I was recently on a previous sailing of the Connie with the same crew, and immediately the CC people basically grabbed the mike away from JC and started their excursion negotiations, even calling out for cabin numbers. Talk about tacky--we left and have never attended one again.

The ship is a business, keep that in mind. And they have more requirements-- insurance, etc. A lot of passengers enjoy the opportunity to take the ship's excursions. Quite frankly, overall you get a pretty good deal for your buck on Celebrity (I am not a shareholder :rolleyes:).

People can do their own planning for whatever reasons, just don't fault the cruise lines for not supporting your own excursion communications.

In all organizations there are employees who are #10 and then there are those who are #1. This shall be sorted out.

As far as impact on bottom line, yes some cruises have a more than minimal s percentage of private excursions, but most are a small minority of the total ship excursions. The CD is blowin smoke.

I, for one am not concerned, although I would be insulted at the time of the event and would have made a strong comment in the presence of the Captain.

I was on the OP's roll call and cruise. I elected NOT to attend the CC get together. Why? In the past, morning coffee/pastry or afternoon champagne meet and greets were very informative and many ship's officers attended. It was like a cocktail party, people mingled, usually no mikes, not that much talk about excursions. It has grown into a monster. I was recently on a previous sailing of the Connie with the same crew, and immediately the CC people basically grabbed the mike away from JC and started their excursion negotiations, even calling out for cabin numbers. Talk about tacky--we left and have never attended one again.

The ship is a business, keep that in mind. And they have more requirements-- insurance, etc. A lot of passengers enjoy the opportunity to take the ship's excursions. Quite frankly, overall you get a pretty good deal for your buck on Celebrity (I am not a shareholder :rolleyes:).

People can do their own planning for whatever reasons, just don't fault the cruise lines for not supporting your own excursion communications.

Well said.