Disembarkation issue- Advice please

Scrapchick

We are currently on the Noordam for 22 days and having a really great time.

We are due to disembark on July 23 in Venice. We arrive there the day before and overnight. We have a 9.25AM flight and need to be off the ship no later than 7AM to get to the airport.

The disembarkation form said we could do early disembarkation at 8AM but not before.

The other option is walk off express disembarkation any time after 4.30AM until 7AM. However, we have more bags than we can carry without assistance so this won't work for us.

I spoke to Guest Relations and explained the situation and after 24 hours of "consulting with colleagues", the girl came back and said they could not help us and would only let us leave at 7.30AM, which is still too tight for our flight. We have three flights to catch that day. If we miss the first, we will miss them all.

We can try to drag our bags off by ourselves but it will be slow and difficult. We don't expect anyone to help us with this, we simply want to disembark an hour earlier than the 8AM time.

We don't know what to do next and feel we've hit a roadblock with Guest Relations. It seems such a small issue, but are we missing something? Something to do with customs and baggage not being available in the hall??? We thought there was ample time to have everything ready to go as the ship is docked there overnight.

Would appreciate any advice or suggestions. We' re having a great time on the ship but this really has the potential to mess up the last part of our trip. We're not trying to be difficult we just want to make our flights and don't understand why Guest Relations can't help us.

In a lot of ports union regulations do not allow ship personnel to assist passengers through the terminal with their luggage. If the shore porters are not on duty when you want to leave then HAL cannot help you.

It will cost money to change your reservations but that might be your best option. Venice airport is very crowded and it takes quite a while to get through.

I can't see you making your flight as it stands now.

We don't need help once we are off the ship. We are three people. We just need to get off the ship. We can drag our luggage bit by bit off the ship if we have to. The bit I am not understanding is that we leave by ourselves with our luggage we can do so until 7AM but then the ship will not let us leave before 7.30AM if we need to collect our baggage in the hall. We don't expect help with our bags, we simply to get ourselves off the ship to the taxi rank.

We don't need help once we are off the ship. We are three people. We just need to get off the ship. We can drag our luggage bit by bit off the ship if we have to. The bit I am not understanding is that we leave by ourselves with our luggage we can do so until 7AM but then the ship will not let us leave before 7.30AM if we need to collect our baggage in the hall. We don't expect help with our bags, we simply to get ourselves off the ship to the taxi rank.

In your original post you say you need to be off on later than 7AM and they said you could self disembark until 7AM. So what is the problem??? I would think you would want to leave a bit earlier then 7 am to catch a 9:30 am flight!

You cannot drag luggage bit by bit off the ship as once you swipe your card off on disembarkation day you cannot come back aboard for more bags. Also the area will be crowded with those waiting for the signal to leave and just getting to the disembarkation point by that bit by bit method would be difficult. It may sound simple but people who are lined up tend to get ugly when people pass them by. They would not understand what you are doing.

You are only allowed to self disembark if you can easily handle your bags. If HAL allowed the method you describe for everyone then disembarkation would be a worse nightmare than it already is.

The ship is not being difficult. The bags that are put out have to be collected, organized, etc.

Sapper1 gives good advice - see if it is possible to change the flights. Even with a reasonable fee, it is worth it so you are not stressed.

If you are self disembarking and keeping the flights as is, I would definitely be leaving well before 7:00 am. If you don't meet the minimum check in time you will not be allowed to board.

Personally, we don't book flights before noon. In Europe since they are usually early morning flights, we stay overnight and fly out a day or more later. I know this recommendation is too late for this cruise but hopefully it is helpful for your next cruise.

OP said in paragraph 4 that they have many bags and need help to get off the ship. Do agree about the Venice airport and the long back-ups. Even if they take a while trying to get all their bags off the ship themselves with multiple trips, taxis may not be there until around 7.

JMO -- when we used to cruise Europe, we never tried to fly home on the same day.

Since you are there overnight, how about leaving the night before and getting a taxi to a hotel in Mestre. The Courtyard by Marriott ar the airport is very nice and you will be right there. You could probably get one of the staff to help you with you luggage the night before without any difficulty.

I doubt Guest Relations would object to that.

Terri

Since you are there overnight, how about leaving the night before and getting a taxi to a hotel in Mestre. The Courtyard by Marriott ar the airport is very nice and you will be right there. You could probably get one of the staff to help you with you luggage the night before without any difficulty.

Terri

This. Or schlep half your stuff off the night before and store it somewhere. Then walk off with the rest of it in the morning. Is that an option?

Terri

I was thinking along the same lines and this is what I would do. Moving the party and luggage to a hotel nearer to the airport on arrival day in Venice means they will be able to enjoy the city that evening without stress over whether they will make the flight the following morning.

Best of luck to the OP and hope you enjoy Venice.

Kate

You cannot drag luggage bit by bit off the ship as once you swipe your card off on disembarkation day you cannot come back aboard for more bags. Also the area will be crowded with those waiting for the signal to leave and just getting to the disembarkation point by that bit by bit method would be difficult. It may sound simple but people who are lined up tend to get ugly when people pass them by. They would not understand what you are doing.

You are only allowed to self disembark if you can easily handle your bags. If HAL allowed the method you describe for everyone then disembarkation would be a worse nightmare than it already is.

I was thinking they could do that just after 4.30am not when everyone else was trying to get off. :confused:

Terri

This is by far your best option. Knowing the absolute chaos that is Venice Airport you would need to be off by 6.00 am at the latest to be safe. We have a 11.30 am flight and are hoping to disembark by 8.00 am.

I was thinking they could do that just after 4.30am not when everyone else was trying to get off. :confused:

The OP said they can't do express disembarkation from 4:30 to 7:00 AM as they need assistance off the ship with their bags. They have really boxed themselves into a corner by booking a flight so early.

If they can leave the day before and check into a hotel that would work or they can change their flight times. Either way it will be costly and at peak season in Europe, changing flights at the last minute may not be an option.

OP,

I can tell you from experience that getting luggage from the ship to a taxi is not going to be easy. Even if you get your luggage off the ship you still have to go through the terminal and there are no luggage carts inside the terminal, they are outside at the bottom of the ramp and cost one euro. We were just at the Venice terminal last August and my DH is handicapped so I had to manage all the luggage by myself :eek: which was not easy and I only had 2 pieces plus our carry-ons (and there were porters standing around who did not move to even ask if I needed help). I finally managed to get the luggage through the security gate and then finally found the luggage carts outside.

You have to arrange before hand for a taxi to pick you up outside the terminal. As others have said if you can't change your flights I would try to leave the ship the first day you are in Venice and stay at a hotel overnight near the airport. Good luck with whatever you decide.

There is no reason why you cannot leave the ship the day before, so long as you inform the ships staff in plenty of time.

Ie not the day you want to leave.

Are there any customs/immigrations formalities about leaving the ship for the final time (with luggage), or will that all be taken care of upon arrival at Venice?

Are there any customs/immigrations formalities about leaving the ship for the final time (with luggage), or will that all be taken care of upon arrival at Venice?

I cannot foresee any problems, the OP will go through customs at the airport.

However the sooner the OP notifies the onboard staff, the sooner they will be notified of any potential problems.

Our son had to leave a ship we were on two days before us. There was no problem so long as it was recorded in the system.

Edited by Surreyman

Terri

I also think this is the best option. Also if you leave the day before the end of the cruise you may be able to get some help from the ship. The personal at the gates may be able to assist you or you could ask the front desk if you could get extra assistance.

Good luck and enjoy the rest of your cruise!!!

Sadly I think you have booked your flight far too early.

Drag your cases off one by one and call a taxi. That is all you can do.

That says it all. Booking a flight out of a foreign port of call before noon was taking a big risk :)

As you are overnighting, can you disembark on the 22nd July and stay in a hotel overnight?

This is the best idea! If you stay near Marco Polo airport rather than in the island (Venice) you should be able to actually get an affordable room and have no problem in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here's a cheaper option.

Venice airport has a left luggage service:

http://www.veniceairport.it/en/at-the-airport/left-luggage-and-porter-service.html

Take the unmanageable bags off the ship on arrival day, take a taxi to the airport and leave them with left luggage. Continue with your relaxing day in Venice.

Return to the ship, have a nice dinner, pack your last bags, with which you can self-disembark in the wee hours of the morning. Take another taxi to the airport, reclaim your left luggage (it opens at 5 am) and check in for your flights.

J

Terri

This is my suggestion as well.

Seeing you booked too early a flight, you now need to find a way to make it work. Research on the internet, make a hotel booking and leave the ship the day you arrive in Venice.

The ship tried to help you but they do not control shore operations in Venice. Don't blame them as being uncooperative.

Good luck.