captains party/ reception on princess

donegal rose

hi, just about to sail on princess royal in 3 weeks and wonder if you have to be a previous princess cruiser to attend the captains party on board. we have sailed with carnival x 2 but never princess until now and wonder because carnival own princess will princess take this into account and let us attend??

and do they give free coctails/ drinks at these receptions ?

There is a past passenger party on cruises that are 5 nights long or longer. I doubt if you'll be included until your second Princess cruise. I know when we sailed on Carnival a couple of years ago, I was able to attend the party but DH and his mother were not since they had never sailed on Carnival before. They had been on the cruises of Carnival's sister companies--Princess and HAL.

The past passenger party does include drinks. There are waiters circulating with trays of drinks, but you can also ask for something else. I usually stick to red wine.

Usually there is a Captain's Welcome Aboard party the first formal night that is open to all. At least that is the case on the Ocean Princess.

Also, to clear up a misunderstanding. Carnival Cruise Line does not own Princess Cruise Line. Both are owned by Carnival Corporation

You will be able to attend the Captain's Welcome Aboard (champagne waterfall) party and get a glass of champagne.

On every Princess cruise I have been on waiters walk around with champagne, but also have other prepared alcoholic and non alcoholic selections. When we asked for a glass of wine we have always been able to get it.

On every Princess cruise I have been on waiters walk around with champagne, but also have other prepared alcoholic and non alcoholic selections. When we asked for a glass of wine we have always been able to get it.

Or to have a glass of beer.

Edited by Astro Flyer

hi, just about to sail on princess royal in 3 weeks and wonder if you have to be a previous princess cruiser to attend the captains party on board. we have sailed with carnival x 2 but never princess until now and wonder because carnival own princess will princess take this into account and let us attend??

The captain's Welcome Aboard party is for all passengers. There is sometimes a Past Passengers party and sometimes a Most Traveled Passenger party. All include free drinks.

Usually there is a Captain's Welcome Aboard party the first formal night that is open to all. At least that is the case on the Ocean Princess.

Also, to clear up a misunderstanding. Carnival Cruise Line does not own Princess Cruise Line. Both are owned by Carnival Corporation

Correct. The only connection between Carnival Cruises and Princess Cruise Lines is that they're both owned by the same corporation. Kind of like Yoplait and Haagen-Dazs... Both are owned by General Mills.

You're not missing much. I haven't been to a Welcome Aboard or Captain's Circle Past Passenger party in years. I can't remember it's been so long.

As a past Carnival Cruise Lines passenger, you'll automatically have a Princess Captain's Circle #.

Been on a fair number of cruises over the years, Princess as well as several other lines.

The one thing we avoid like the plague is the "Captain's Party" or whatever nomenclature one wishes to use to describe this function. For the most part it is simply a horde of people whose behaviour is unbelievably rude and obnoxious in their quest to push to the front in order to get their hands on that "free drink".

We're happy to pay for drink in a bar or lounge or have a glass of wine on the balcony and stay away from the Atrium until civility again becomes the norm.

Been on a fair number of cruises over the years, Princess as well as several other lines.

The one thing we avoid like the plague is the "Captain's Party" or whatever nomenclature one wishes to use to describe this function. For the most part it is simply a horde of people whose behaviour is unbelievably rude and obnoxious in their quest to push to the front in order to get their hands on that "free drink".

We're happy to pay for drink in a bar or lounge or have a glass of wine on the balcony and stay away from the Atrium until civility again becomes the norm.

That's been my experience but have grabbed a glass of wine on our way to the theater after having early dinner.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I am a platinum member with Princess despite never sailing with them (due to sailing on another Carnival Corp. Co. line)

Will I be invited to the past passenger party?

We sailed with Princess last year and we too were platinum members due to sailing on another Carnival Corp line ie P&O.

We were invited to the elite and platinum party which we attended and thoroughly enjoyed. We also loved the other perks such as the disembarkation lounge. Apparently we could have had priority boarding but did not realise until we were already on board!

As the others have said, there are two different parties:

1. The Captains Welcome reception which is held on the first formal night in the atrium. Usually waiters will circulate with trays of drinks, but sometimes have found them very rare at these events. On one cruise, waiters were passing by and didn't offer any drinks (we obviously weren't holding any glasses), so I went up to one waiter and pointed to his tray and asked what drink is that. While he was answering, I just grabbed the glass and said thanks. On other sailings, the waiters will ask if you want one of their drinks.

Maybe it's recently that the Champagne Waterfall would be on this night. Before our last cruise, the Champagne Waterfall would be on the second (or third) formal night.

2. The Captains Circle party is the one for past passengers. You'll get the invitation in your cabin. Lately it's seem that there's one for Gold level and one that's for Platinum/Elite (we haven't been on a cruise since Ruby was added). Usually these are held in the Princess Theater or a lounge. Sometimes a formal night, sometimes night. When you enter, your invitation is taken (so if you want a record, take a photo of it beforehand) for the drawing, you greet the captain, then you find a seat. Sometimes waiters circulate with drinks (otherwise you get a drink voucher when you exit and you can use it at anytime during your cruise at any bar). You'll hear a sales pitch for whatever new ship is being built, the officers/future cruise consultant and other major staff might be introduced.

But other than a drink voucher, you probably aren't missing anything if you don't go.

We are past passengers and I think we attended a Captain's Circle party once several years ago, then not again. When we did a few short cruises on the Golden last year we found vouchers in our room for a complimentary drink in any bar, which we used any day we wished.

Just off our first cruise on the Pacific Princess a few weeks ago and attended the party there. We did not see any big rush for the free drinks. After being greeted by the captain and posing for a photo we sat in the lounge until someone came around with drinks. I do not drink alcohol and don't like sweet fruity drinks which were offered. There was no problem getting me a club soda and ice instead. We also did not notice any rude behaviour where we were sitting.

Not the most exciting event, so it will probably be another few years until we attend again.

I like the free drink voucher though.

I am a platinum member with Princess despite never sailing with them (due to sailing on another Carnival Corp. Co. line)

Will I be invited to the past passenger party?

I have never heard that sailing on another CCL line contributed to loyalty levels. Does that mean my HAL cruises count toward my Ellite level:confused:

Does that mean my HAL cruises count toward my Ellite level:confused:

No...it's only cruise lines directly connected to Princess including Sitmar which merged with Princess & also P&O. However not other cruise lines that became part of Carnival Corporation such as HAL.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Wow! Tough crowd.

Enjoy! :D