Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm Fjord

cdnphotogirl

We have done both - albeit on different cruise lines - but in terms of the scenery, glacier views, etc. we'd definitely say Glacier Bay.

Its scenery is grander with taller mountains around it while Tracy Arm's is a narrower channel giving a bit more of an "intumate" experience. GB has multiple glaciers on the way to the end where the primary one (Marjorie Glacier) is. T Arm's glacier at the end is smaller but the super blueness of some of its floating ice wad truly remarkable. We were fortunate to have GB's Marjorie Glacier cav for us when we were right in front of it on the outside deck.

You should check the times for both on the itineraries you are considering. For our cruises GB was more of a day long leisurely experience whereas T Arm was a very early morning only one. You can also Google pics of both to see some views.

We loved them both and chose our second cruise because it had T Arm since we'd seen GB but if we only could ever see one we'd choose GB.

Edited by KruzeKrazy!

I'd go with Glacier Bay, but Tracy Arm is also nice if that's the cruise that works better with price for your date. I decided that whenever we take another cruise that includes Tracy Arm, we will upgrade to do the small boat excursion closer to the glacier. We have not had that perspective before. (Although last time we cruised to Alaska, we kayaked in Mendenhall Lake--which is a very different perspective of a glacier.)

If you would like to see both, choose the itinerary that includes Glacier Bay. Then on your day in Juneau you can book a small boat excursion to Tracy Arm Fjord which is really the best way to see it anyway. Best of both worlds!

Just returned home from cruise on Star Princess. Glacier Bay.

Before this cruise would have said Glacier Bay as we had done both in the past. It has been 7 years since Glacier Bay. I was surprised how much smaller it appeared. We had lots of fog and rain.The Glacier did Calf with the thunderous sound(really nice).

The scenery last year (2013) on the approach to Tracy Arm was incredibly beautiful. So my opinion, doesn't really matter much but

next time will go to Tracy Arm again.

We have done both multiple times. My vote is Tracy Arm because the scenery is just spectacular. If seeing a glacier calve is on your bucket list, then Glacier Bay is the pick. In Tracy Arm, you only see the Sawyer Glacier from a distance and will not see calving.

Doing both would be fun. If you are in Juneau for an extended day, the small boat to Tracy Arm would be ideal because they can get right up to the Sawyer Glacier and the calving is supposedly very active and exciting.

Happy Cruising:D:D

Looking to do an Alaskan Cruise from San Fran next year. Which is better Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm Fjord? I am leaning towards Glacier Bay but not 100% committed yet. Thanks for your opinions.

We have done the Alaska out of San Francisco 4 times over the past 4 years and find the colors and majesty of Tracy Arm more to our taste. Watching and hearing the calving in GB was awe inspiring, but for us TA is just more photo op enriched.

Just tried to upload some thumbnails but system gave me an error message. We have photos from both GB and TAF on our SumgMug site. We are NOT professionals so no sales pitch will be involved to just go look ;)

Try tomstuff dot smugmug dot com to find it. Should be in the travel folder...

We plan on returning to Alaska again next year, maybe we'll be on the same cruise?

Dian

I did Tracy Arm on my previous Alaska cruise and Glacier Bay is scheduled for my next one, next July. Tracy Arm is spectacular with the deep fjord you go through with the high cliffs on both sides; great photo ops. I really don't think you would be disappointed if that's the one you choose. With either one, that just means you'll have to schedule another cruise so you can experience the other one.

Edited by Treven

Agree. We were fortunate to see Marjorie Glacier in GB calving while out on the bow of the ship AND getting all the way to Sawyer Glacier at the end of Tracy Arm and seeing some huge brilliant blue bergs floating in front of it.

As most say - there is something great about both so do the cruise that works best for you and love it not thinking you're missing the other one but loving the one you're at knowing you can always see the other one another time.

Agree. We were fortunate to see Marjorie Glacier in GB calving while out on the bow of the ship AND getting all the way to Sawyer Glacier at the end of Tracy Arm and seeing some huge brilliant blue bergs floating in front of it.

As most say - there is something great about both so do the cruise that works best for you and love it not thinking you're missing the other one but loving the one you're at knowing you can always see the other one another time.

Though - having missed my only glacier (Hubbard) on my first cruise, is is really disappointing. If this is the one and only time they go to Alaska - it is pretty cool to see a glacier. Very few ships see the Sawyer glaciers on Tracy Arm. Many ships bypass this whole area due to ice. While it is pretty if you get in, there is also a very good chance that it will be missed.

So if a glacier is important - go to Glacier Bay. It never seems to be missed.

Just tried to upload some thumbnails but system gave me an error message.

Photos must be less than 2GB in size to be uploaded as thumbnails.

If your pictures are larger, reduce their size and retry loading.

And keep in mind if you do opt for a Tracy Arm itinerary and don't make it to Sawyer Glacier there is always Mendenhall Glacier at Juneau for your glacier fix . . .

Not a very good substitute IMO (having been in this situation). Mendenhall was a let down compared to Hubbard Glacier, College Fiords and Glacier Bay. It just doesn't compare unless you take a helicopter and land on the glacier.

If you go to Alaska many times, it probably isn't a big deal but if it is your one and only - do the real thing (Glacier Bay).

Edited by Coral

All other things being equal - especially if it's your first Alaska cruise - Glacier Bay. But sometimes all other things aren't equal. Which cruise has port schedules more to your liking? Which ship would you prefer? And, in my experience, Glacier Bay routings tend to be more expensive; this time around, it would have been 20% more expensive to see Glacier Bay again rather than Tracy Arm, so we decided to give GB a pass.

And keep in mind that Alaskan weather can turn even the most eagerly anticipated sights into disappointments.

Choose Glacier Bay. It is restricted to two ships per day. Only certain lines can cruise here as it requires a permit. Tracy Arm is often missed or skipped.

I agree that Mendenhall just doesn't compare to missing a major glacier like Marjorie Glacier at Glacier Bay. Sort of like seeing a small county fair compared to Disney World.

Edited by Casey12

Not a very good substitute IMO (having been in this situation). Mendenhall was a let down compared to Hubbard Glacier, College Fiords and Glacier Bay. It just doesn't compare unless you take a helicopter and land on the glacier.

Actually, though it's not for everyone, the single most impressive glacier moment for me was climbing Mendenhall's West Glacier Trail. Trailhead access takes some doing, the hike is 5 or 6 strenuous hours, footing can be slippery, could be tricky getting back to the ship on time. But standing at the highest viewpoint, looking down at the helicopters landed on the ice far below, seeing the entire sweep of the glacier, was one of the very, very best hiking moments of my life. Just putting that out there in case it strikes anyone's fancy.

1. Are you more likely to make it to Sawyer Glacier in late July or August (as opposed to earlier in the season)?

2. Are you more likely to make it to Sawyer Glacier on a small boat excursion out of Juneau?

Thanks,

1. Are you more likely to make it to Sawyer Glacier in late July or August (as opposed to earlier in the season)?

2. Are you more likely to make it to Sawyer Glacier on a small boat excursion out of Juneau?

Thanks,

1. Yes - but I still missed it in July.

2. Yes - but I still missed it 2x this way. One time we ventured in but had to turn around due to time (had to make it back to the cruise ship before it left). Only 2 of us were cruise passengers. It was gorgeous what we saw but we never saw the glacier. The other time, we skipped it and just went to Endicott Arm in the small boat.

You might be able to do both. Last summer I was able to find a HAL itinerary, round trip Vancouver, on the Volendam, that offered Glacier Bay on the main itinerary and Sawyer as an excursion. Read the itineraries carefully. Sawyer was clearly marked as a "Service" stop but lots of folks thought it was included in the main itinerary.

The Volendam stopped just south of Juneau and we got off the ship and on to a smaller excursion boat to go to Sawyer. The tour boat took us to re-join the Volendam at the pier in Juneau after the tour. You can do similar tours from Juneau but by getting off the ship you save the considerable time required to get back down to Tracy Arm from Juneau.

This is a beautiful excursion...even in the pouring rain. The tour boat had a nice indoor area with refreshments. We got very close to the glacier and to a beautiful water fall. We also saw eagles on the bergs and a bear on the beach. I think the excursion was around $215./pp.

You might check the 2015 Princess offerings to see if they might also be offering something similar.

Edited by Lazy K