How do you carry your wine on board?

travelingirl70

For those who bring their allowed 2 bottles of wine, do you carry it on board with you? That seems to make sense but the idea of lugging it around until our stateroom is ready doesn't sound so great. Anyone find any good way to pack them? I've seen stuff that allows you to "safely" pack wine in checked luggage but it seems too risky to discover red wine all over my clothes.

I guess I've answered my own question but anyone have any clever tricks? I suppose I could pack them in a separate bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just stick it in our carry on luggage. Typically we bring one of those tote bags that are inexpensive or one from a former Celebrity cruise - the ones that are flat and can slip into a side pocket on the luggage - and just hang those on one of the handles if there is no room in the luggage. It's pretty easy to "balance" a couple of wrapped up bottles of wine on the top of a rolling carry on. Once on board we usually just head to Bistro and the little bit of carrying wine is no big deal, we usually just sit until it's time to head to the room so it's not like we're walking all over the place for two hours dragging luggage.

We always are careful to not overpack and over-weigh our big luggage but we don't worry about that once we're on the way to the port, so we've been known to shift a few things from our carry-on to the big suitcase to leave room for the wine.

Some I pack in my luggage and some I carry in my stomach.:D. The stuff in the luggage is a weight placeholder for the return trip. Wrap it up in a sweater and unless they back over your bag with a luggage tractor, it will be fine.

I'm assuming those who put in carry on are purchasing when they land? I am thinking about this as well as I'd love to bring some caymus with me from home....hmmm

We purchase when we land. We know most bottles are sturdy and we use the wine bottle bubble wrap, but are afraid as we have soft sided luggage and do not know how the airlines will handle the bags. We feel, better safe than sorry. I would hate to lose a bottle of caymus.

A newbie here...

Does putting your wine in the checked luggage on the ship cause a delay in delivering the bags to your room?

Yes it can. On my May cruise on Century I put a bottle of wine in my luggage and was aware I might have to go to the "naughty room" to retrieve it. My dh's luggage arrived in the afternoon, so late afternoon I checked with guest relations, but was told to wait as not all luggage had been delivered.

That evening after dinner I checked and my luggage still had not arrived, so I went to Guest Relations to inquire. Apparently by then the "naughty room" had been closed and the last few pieces of luggage were there at Guest Relations. I had to wait for a supervisor to come so I could open the suitcase in front of him just to verify it was just wine, not any other kind of liquor.

Lesson learned, next time I decide to bring wine I will most definitely bring it in my carry on, it was not worth the hassle!

A newbie here...

Does putting your wine in the checked luggage on the ship cause a delay in delivering the bags to your room?

It can. How long a delay will depend on how many bags they have to search and where yours is in the queue - something you have no control over.

Yes it can. On my May cruise on Century I put a bottle of wine in my luggage and was aware I might have to go to the "naughty room" to retrieve it. My dh's luggage arrived in the afternoon, so late afternoon I checked with guest relations, but was told to wait as not all luggage had been delivered.

That evening after dinner I checked and my luggage still had not arrived, so I went to Guest Relations to inquire. Apparently by then the "naughty room" had been closed and the last few pieces of luggage were there at Guest Relations. I had to wait for a supervisor to come so I could open the suitcase in front of him just to verify it was just wine, not any other kind of liquor.

Lesson learned, next time I decide to bring wine I will most definitely bring it in my carry on, it was not worth the hassle!

Was your suitcase locked? They simply opened mine, inspected the bottles, replaced them in the case, placed a card in the case saying they had opened it and delivered the case to the cabin - before dinner.

Being a newbie, you may be excited to spend every possible minute on the ship. But just as an FYI many of us experienced cruisers (not all certainly) prefer to arrive a bit later after the first rush of cruisers boards. The waiting area is less crowded, the lines are shorter, and you don't have to wait as long for your cabin to be ready. Usually we arrive around 12:30 or 1:00, and often are able to go directly to our cabin or at most have a very short wait. Just an idea to throw out there if you don't want to carry your carry-on luggage around with you. Truthfully, for us, it is not really relaxing to deal with the luggage and all the crowds gathering in the public areas and buffet. Alternatively, some people lighten up on their carry-on baggage, and pack a swimsuit to carry-on, and go hang out by the pool until the rooms are clear. A personal preference, but just food for thought.

Thanks Phoenix dream! Of course we ARE planning on arriving early. Our plan is to get oriented a bit,take a soak in the hot tub when our two bottles of wine get too heavy to haul around, then see about getting a small bite of lunch.

We're in Concierge Class - will our bags arrive earlier than others? Or just the luck of the draw?

A couple of years ago we brought on 2 boxes of wine (one in each carry on) and had no problem. We stored one in the bottom of the wardrobe until we needed it and kept the other in the fridge. Drinks package this time so we won't bother bringing any extras this time.

Being a newbie, you may be excited to spend every possible minute on the ship. But just as an FYI many of us experienced cruisers (not all certainly) prefer to arrive a bit later after the first rush of cruisers boards. ....

I guess we, and many of our cruise friends, are part of the "not all certainly" group. We like getting on relatively early and find plenty to do, or just enjoy hanging out on board, while waiting for our stateroom to get ready. As much as I like doing this now I liked it even more when I was a newbie and used the early on-board time to explore the ship. All public areas will be open when you board despite the fact that they'll recommend you head to the buffet area to wait for your cabin to be ready.

Edited by Lsimon

Being a newbie, you may be excited to spend every possible minute on the ship. But just as an FYI many of us experienced cruisers (not all certainly) prefer to arrive a bit later after the first rush of cruisers boards. The waiting area is less crowded, the lines are shorter, and you don't have to wait as long for your cabin to be ready. Usually we arrive around 12:30 or 1:00, and often are able to go directly to our cabin or at most have a very short wait. Just an idea to throw out there if you don't want to carry your carry-on luggage around with you. Truthfully, for us, it is not really relaxing to deal with the luggage and all the crowds gathering in the public areas and buffet. Alternatively, some people lighten up on their carry-on baggage, and pack a swimsuit to carry-on, and go hang out by the pool until the rooms are clear. A personal preference, but just food for thought.

AGREE completely.... we arrive at the same time frame.... purposely so that staterooms are open and we can drop all that carry on stuff off.....and THEN mosey around the ship unencumbered....but then we've done that since our 2nd cruise....:)

I guess I've answered my own question but anyone have any clever tricks? I suppose I could pack them in a separate bag.

Wine skin, they can be found at at wine outlet. We also use them to pack in our checked bags when we fly. Never had a breakage, tho there is a first time for everything.

EW

image.jpg.9d2cad5f3b2d50d8b257494c5f7962e5.jpg