Is 6:15 dinner too early?

hollon

I'm planning on a trip to alaska and was wondering if the 6:15 time is too early, I know first two places are glacier bay and hubbard and didn't know if people stayed out there until 8:00, etc. it is southbound, didn't want to be rushed back to ship just for dinner, any thoughts please, we did anytime and just wasn't a fan of that, we like it where we can get to know the waiters everynight

Even though you are not a fan of anytime dining, I highly recommend it for the Alaska itinerary. The simple answer is yes, take a look at the port times, and if you are in port until 7 or 8 in the evening, it is too early. Either opt for the late seating, or do anytime.

I think its too early but at least its not (Seinfeld) Boca Del Vista time of 4:15. :D

Too many things going on around 5-6pm for us at least. We like to eat around 7:30-8:00 ish.

Takes the ladies a little while to get ready too so that means they have to start around 5 ish.

I would say for Alaska, that's too early. We had late traditional with time to get ready after our active shore excursions. We wish we had changed to anytime dining during that cruise. We chose anytime for our British Isles on the Ruby next month. We like the flexibility and meeting new people.

I would say for Alaska, that's too early. We had late traditional with time to get ready after our active shore excursions. We wish we had changed to anytime dining during that cruise. We chose anytime for our British Isles on the Ruby next month. We like the flexibility and meeting new people.

Same here! Once we tried Anytime, we were hooked and would not want to go back to traditional.

LuLu

Thanks my skagway is 8:30, Juneau is 4:30 and ketchiken is 6:00, so still anytime dining - what are the restaurants we go to for anytime? also, if we choose 8:15 traditional do we go to the shows before dinner? Thanks again

It is nice to be outside for sailaway.

We had early, but decided on missing dinner in dining room and going to Horizon court after the sailaways(11 day cruise), so only missed dining room 2 times. There was so much entertainment going on the ship (The Star) that eating early was the way we were able to see and do it all.

Thanks my skagway is 8:30, Juneau is 4:30 and ketchiken is 6:00, so still anytime dining - what are the restaurants we go to for anytime? also, if we choose 8:15 traditional do we go to the shows before dinner? Thanks again

You haven't indicated which ship you will be on - but if it is one of the Grand Class where the fixed seating dining room is aft on Deck 6, then the anytime dining rooms will be midship on decks 5 and 6, with the entrance on the port side. The menus are entirely the same.

We are huge fans of early traditional dining, but I agree.

For Alaska any time dining is the way to go.

Pat

I'm biased toward anytime dining, but especially on an Alaska cruise.

We always opt for second seating. First seating is too early. We did not enjoy the one time we had anytime dining. That was a dozen years ago on the Golden. If we went early, there was a wait.

if we choose 8:15 traditional do we go to the shows before dinner? Thanks again

Most evenings the show would be after dinner, but on a couple of evenings it may be before dinner.

For example, if there is a late evening deck party scheduled, then the show for late seating will be before dinner.

You haven't indicated which ship you will be on - but if it is one of the Grand Class where the fixed seating dining room is aft on Deck 6, then the anytime dining rooms will be midship on decks 5 and 6, with the entrance on the port side. The menus are entirely the same.

I will be on the Coral going southbound :) still deciding....... I guess only b/c last time I didn't like the anytime, but don't want to rush to dinner after port, what restaurants do you go to for anytime?

I will be on the Coral going southbound :) still deciding....... I guess only b/c last time I didn't like the anytime, but don't want to rush to dinner after port, what restaurants do you go to for anytime?

On the Coral, there are two main dining rooms, one on deck 5 and one on deck 6. They are virtually identical and in the same place, just one deck difference. I do not remember anymore which one is traditional and which one is anytime, but take a look at the deck plans and you will see them about midship, one on deck 5 and one on deck 6. Our third cruise on Princess was on the Coral and we chose anytime dining. We were treated wonderfully - found the head waiters to be completely engaged and committed to making sure the diners in their section were having an excellent experience. Certainly personnel have changed - but we've been back on the Coral a few times since then, always with anytime dining, and just love that ship.

For Alaska, IMHO, you should sacrifice having your waiter know what you want to drink, etc., after day two, for the flexibility of anytime dining, of being able to enjoy the ports as long as possible, take advantage of running out on deck or your balcony to watch a pod of Orca or dolphin or other wildlife, really it is all about enjoying Mother Nature when her fickle self decides to offer a show.

(If you want to find the deck plans go to http://www.princess.com and select the "learn about" tab. You will see the option for "our ships". In that you can click on the Coral, and then you will see an option to look at deck plans. Have fun. There is also a tab about dining options.)

Trust me, you are much more likely to remember a pod of dolphins playing alongside the ship, than a waiter who forgot to bring your after dinner cup of decaf, causing you to have to ask again! Perspective!!!!

Edited by ggprincess2004

On the Coral, there are two main dining rooms, one on deck 5 and one on deck 6. They are virtually identical and in the same place, just one deck difference. I do not remember anymore which one is traditional and which one is anytime, but take a look at the deck plans and you will see them about midship, one on deck 5 and one on deck 6. Our third cruise on Princess was on the Coral and we chose anytime dining. We were treated wonderfully - found the head waiters to be completely engaged and committed to making sure the diners in their section were having an excellent experience. Certainly personnel have changed - but we've been back on the Coral a few times since then, always with anytime dining, and just love that ship.

For Alaska, IMHO, you should sacrifice having your waiter know what you want to drink, etc., after day two, for the flexibility of anytime dining, of being able to enjoy the ports as long as possible, take advantage of running out on deck or your balcony to watch a pod of Orca or dolphin or other wildlife, really it is all about enjoying Mother Nature when her fickle self decides to offer a show.

(If you want to find the deck plans go to http://www.princess.com and select the "learn about" tab. You will see the option for "our ships". In that you can click on the Coral, and then you will see an option to look at deck plans. Have fun. There is also a tab about dining options.)

Trust me, you are much more likely to remember a pod of dolphins playing alongside the ship, than a waiter who forgot to bring your after dinner cup of decaf, causing you to have to ask again! Perspective!!!!

written perfectly! thanks

I'm planning on a trip to alaska and was wondering if the 6:15 time is too early, I know first two places are glacier bay and hubbard and didn't know if people stayed out there until 8:00, etc. it is southbound, didn't want to be rushed back to ship just for dinner, any thoughts please, we did anytime and just wasn't a fan of that, we like it where we can get to know the waiters everynight

WHEN is your planned cruise? I see a lot of people talking about how it stays light very late in Alaska but that isn't true for all cruises. We did Alaska in November (had beautiful weather and sunshine everywhere) and it doesn't stay light late at that time.

Without knowing when your proposed trip is to happen I don't understand how so many people can give "definitive" answers to your question!