Fellow 'cave dwellers' ...a question?

Lovely other

We are inside cabin people "cave dwellers", out of financial necessity rather than choice. However on our cruises I've been finding I have great difficulty getting myself up and about in the mornings.

I'm putting this down to the lack of daylight throwing my body clock out ...not my Wang Wang consumption as my delightful hubby suggested :rolleyes:

So I was wondering if anyone has tried one of those daylight alarm clocks that slowly get lighter over an hour before your alarm?

I don't like that sluggish feeling, especially on holiday as I'm a fit in as much as possible in a few hours kind of girl.

1. start your day off with more wang wang to get you up and going :p

2. we have a clock that makes bird sounds that slowly gets louder over 45 minutes or so. It works and doesn't mind being sworn at. It gets a 2 out of 2.

I've got a very old, wind-up alarm clock. The kind where you can hear the ticking. The luminous dial long-since lost its glow.

It works for me, so I've never researched other ways to rouse myself. Sorry I can't help you.

Sluggishness: a frequent visitor on cruises; the longer the cruise, the more frequent for us, even normal.

We have found it to be the same in insides, outsides and balconies.

Personally, we think it is the food, as in "quantity"!

Haven't tried anything any kind of alarm clock, but hope you find something that works for you.

Thank you all for your replies and helpful tips.

Sportsmum your tip no 1 has already been tried ...by accident I hasten to admit, as I'd bought the drink back to my cabin at night and somehow finished most of it off in my sleep.

I may try the bow camera channel idea though or I was thinking of just getting out of the cabin as soon as and sitting on the wrap around deck for 10 minutes. If anyone ever sees a redhead in bunny print jim jams out there, that'll be me ;) It's my favourite part of the ship and one of the reasons I've stuck with HAL.

For the two times we were "cave dwellers", we left the TV on the bow cam channel...it worked beautifully for us.

MY trick with this is not to "mute" the sound. The mute will show on the bottom of the screen all night. Just lower the sound as low as it will go. The picture on the screen will be all black till daylight.

Leaving the TV on the 'Bridge cam' channel, as discussed, works for me; I leave the volume down all the way since there's usually elevator music playing on that channel which reminds me of going to the dentist

Leaving the TV on the 'Bridge cam' channel, as discussed, works for me; I leave the volume down all the way since there's usually elevator music playing on that channel which reminds me of going to the dentist

That's what we do, too. Works like a charm. Actually, I read about it here years ago and stored it in my memory bank!

We are inside cabin people "cave dwellers", out of financial necessity rather than choice. However on our cruises I've been finding I have great difficulty getting myself up and about in the mornings.

I'm putting this down to the lack of daylight throwing my body clock out ...not my Wang Wang consumption as my delightful hubby suggested :rolleyes:

So I was wondering if anyone has tried one of those daylight alarm clocks that slowly get lighter over an hour before your alarm?

I don't like that sluggish feeling, especially on holiday as I'm a fit in as much as possible in a few hours kind of girl.

What we do is leave the tv on the bow camera channel so that as daylight happens our cabin gets lighter.

You can also use your cabin phone to set a wake up call.

Less rest during the daylight hours will improve your rest at night.

I don't rest during the day ...I never have understood the idea of napping, it makes me grumpy. Plus there is far too much to see and do for me to waste time sleeping. My hubby on the other hand could sleep forever it seems...

I never, ever nap at home. On a cruise, I can fall asleep anywhere there is a chair. Explorers Lounge, Crows Nest, Show Lounge ... I can nod right off. I like to think it's being more active, eating bigger meals, and all that fresh sea air.

:rolleyes: When we cruise we always leave the calendar for our first week back home empty. I joke we need a week to sleep to recover from vacation.

The lighting on the ships is horrible. You may want to invest in one of the lights that are used to improve mood. You need a really bright light source (lots of lumes) in order to really create the change that you are looking for. Most of the lights don't take up a lot of space.

During our first cruise on the Veendam we had an inside cabin. The first night we went to bed and slept for 17 hours. We were shocked. The total darkness, the cold from the a/c, the hum from the engines and the gentle rocking and we were victims. On the plus side, when we finally emerged we learned that we had slept through some rough seas.

Edited by cbr663

Play with the light buttons located behind your pillows. You'll have a light show that will wake you up in no time:D I also keep the tv on the View from the Bridge channel.

The lighting on the ships is horrible. You may want to invest in one of the lights that are used to improve mood. You need a really bright light source (lots of lumes) in order to really create the change that you are looking for. Most of the lights don't take up a lot of space.

During our first cruise on the Veendam we had an inside cabin. The first night we went to bed and slept for 17 hours. We were shocked. The total darkness, the cold from the a/c, the hum from the engines and the gentle rocking and we were victims. On the plus side, when we finally emerged we learned that we had slept through some rough seas.

I have been looking at those. Particularly as I suffer from depression on a regular basis.

<snip> I was thinking of just getting out of the cabin as soon as and sitting on the wrap around deck for 10 minutes.

Good idea! You will probably find that it is most effective if you can get some sunshine directly on your face. I close my eyes and just bask. 5-7 minutes resets my clock and I'm ready for the day.

Try it - you'll like it. :)

I wouldn't worry too much about this. I've sailed in interior cabins on Westerdam and Nieuw Amsterdam and I never had too much trouble waking up. My best recommendation is to bring your own alarm clock with an LED display. The light from the display will be enough for you to see the rough outlines of the cabin, and knowing the time will resolve my biggest source of agitation from interior cabins: "Is it morning yet, or is it 3am?" :rolleyes:

I wouldn't worry too much about this. I've sailed in interior cabins on Westerdam and Nieuw Amsterdam and I never had too much trouble waking up. My best recommendation is to bring your own alarm clock with an LED display. The light from the display will be enough for you to see the rough outlines of the cabin, and knowing the time will resolve my biggest source of agitation from interior cabins: "Is it morning yet, or is it 3am?" :rolleyes:

The OP says that it is currently a problem she has, not one that she's expecting to have. So to tell her not to worry doesn't help, because it already is an issue.

That said, the LED alarm clock idea is great. I'll have to remember to pack ours.

Oh man! I had planned to use the bridge camera for our family. It just now occurred to me that even when the sun does set in Alaska it doesn't ever get fully dark. . . Back to the drawing board.

I think you'll be fine with the bridge camera. By the time you sail to Alaska, it'll be two months after the solstice so the nights are already longer there. Check this website: http://www.alaska.org/weather/daylight-hours/anchorage/august Just change the city as appropriate. I put in Anchorage because I knew that's the farthest north you'll be going.

Edited by Alberta Quilter