Venice Hotel Recommendation

We will be staying in Venice for a couple nights before the cruise starts this September. I searched these threads but did not see a Venice Hotel Thread.

I value everyone's opinion here and would be grateful for your favorite hotel in Venice. This will be my first time there.

We enjoyed the Foscari Palace. Reasonably priced and away from the hordes of tourists. Great gelato and good restaurants around the corner. They have a huge suite that's a steal. Check Trip Advisor reviews.

Edited by JPR

We have stayed at the Hilton Molina stuck ey twice and never encountered Mosquitos, once in September and once in October. But like anywhere in Venice, it is on a canal, so I guess Mosquitos could be an issue at times. But hotel is absolutely wonderful (and pricey unless you have hilton points. This is a good place to use them.)

Londra Palace Jr. Suite with a terrace. MUST have one with a terrace as it overlooks on Lagoon. Unfortunately they are now on a list of the best hotels in the world (really drove the price up). :mad:

LindaVH & Bill (newlondon) - We also stayed at the Londra Palace last November, while in Venice. The view/location was right on the Grand Canal and a close walking distance to St. Mark's, etc. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. They also offer a very nice breakfast that is included in the room rate. We stayed in a Junior Suite on one of the top floors with windows that opened out onto the canal view. BUT....$800/night! Ouch! But we all know we don't go to Venice to "save money". :p

I might also mention to the OP (Commodore 2010) that since you will have a couple of days in Venice, consider booking a private walking tour through "Angel Tours". Our personal guide (Cinzia) was absolutely great and she met us at the base of the columns in St. Mark's Square.

Cinzia asked us what we'd like to see and than also added some special venues of her own. We saw all the "standard stuff", but then also went to some of the quiet and "out-of-the-way" places, as well. The total walk was leasurely, very informative, and took about 3 hours. It was a private walk for just the 3 of us (Dad, included) and the guide. We loved it and thought it to be a very good value for the money. ((We also booked several Angel tours in Rome and Florence, as well - we'd use them again in a heartbeat.)) Regards

Locanda Vivaldi. Very nice small hotel right on the Grand Canal, a short walk from St. Marks. If you get a room with a view of the Grand Canal, it's fascinating -- as are the mechanized blackout shades which come down to block out light and noise in the morning! Very nice breakfast.

The b-fast buffet at Londra is very good and you are facing the lagoon on the ground floor outside. We watched people come up to look at the menu and shake their heads. Finally looked and it WAS very expensive. It is included in the room rate.

You seem to have a lot of suggestions - I can add mine - Palazzo San Angelo - right on the Grand Canal, at a vaporetto stop (same name) and near the Rialto bridge. Great location, quiet and wonderful hotel.

And whatever you do in Venice do not miss a trip to Torcello - a small island in the lagoon, beyond Murano and Burano on the vaporetto - and lunch there at the Locanda Cipriani. There food is divine, their terrace is beautiful and after lunch a visit to the little basilica to see the mosaics is well, well worthwhile. Torcello has an atmosphere all its own!

Locanda Vivaldi. Very nice small hotel right on the Grand Canal, a short walk from St. Marks. If you get a room with a view of the Grand Canal, it's fascinating -- as are the mechanized blackout shades which come down to block out light and noise in the morning! Very nice breakfast.

:) How did you get from the airport to the Locanda Vivaldi?

The Daneli is wonderful. We loved our stay there. I probably did not spell it right. Venice wants the mega ships out of there. Regent is not one of them or any of the luxury lines. I hope they will continue to visit this wonderful port.

• 1 month later...

Just got home from Venice where Regent had us booked in the Hotel Excelsior. Very nice hotel with free water taxi service to and from Piazza San Marco. Also nice ocean views.

The Grand Canal/Piazza area of Venice has become SO crowded especially during the day and early evening hours. Many cruise ships come daily to Venice and dump thousands of people on streets that were not designed for such traffic.

Having a room at the Hotel Excelsior (which is not in the crowded area of old Venice) was a welcomed break from the madness. Water taxi offered convenient access whenever we wanted to attempt fighting the crowds.

Having a room at the Hotel Excelsior (which is not in the crowded area of old Venice) was a welcomed break from the madness. Water taxi offered convenient access whenever we wanted to attempt fighting the crowds.

This hotel is on the Lido. How long was the water taxi ride, and how frequent? I've read various recommendations to stay a bit off the beaten track in Venice, but this seems rather far out. Was the Lido itself a pleasant area, if you had a chance to explore it?

:) How did you get from the airport to the Locanda Vivaldi?

Sorry I missed seeing this question earlier. If it's still of any help... We had flown into Venice and rented a car for a week of touring in Lombardo and Emilia-Romagna before returning to Venice for a few days prior to our cruise. We dropped our rental car somewhere on the outskirts of Venice and took a vaporetto to the San Zaccaria stop (adjoining St. Mark's Square), from where it was only a short walk to the hotel. (One of us went to the desk, and they sent back a bellman to assist with moving our luggage.) For more money, we could have tarn a private taxi right to the hotel's private dock, but it worked fine doing it with public transportation for us.

This hotel is on the Lido. How long was the water taxi ride, and how frequent? I've read various recommendations to stay a bit off the beaten track in Venice, but this seems rather far out. Was the Lido itself a pleasant area, if you had a chance to explore it?

Water taxi ride was about fifteen minutes and taxis run from the hotel to San Marco on the hour and from San Marco to the hotel on the half hour. Lido is a very pleasant area and we did explore it some. Walking around Lido is very easy.

There is a beautiful beached area right in front of the hotel. Just up the street within walking distance was a wonderful little Italian restaurant.

Very pleasant hotel and as I mentioned not in the VERY crowded old town area of Venice.