Holy Land Cruising

lollytw

Really wanted to go on a cruise that included Jerusalem and Haifa but with everything going on now over there, I think it's probably wise to bow out, even thought it's not until next fall. Can I get some feedback here from anyone who has gone? Or done a cruise and had the ports in Israel cancelled?Thanks! :)

Hello lollytw !

Just to know : where is situated "Holy Land" actually in the World ? To name a few, Africa (Ebola), Israel and Gaza and Egypt conflict, Ukraine (war), China (earthquakes)...?

Smooth sailing as they said..!

Holacanada

Edited by holacanada

Of course! I should have been more specific. I was just going by the name of the Mediterranean cruise I'm referring. It's Israel, ports being Ashdod (Jerusalem) and Haifa (Galilee). :)

Most of us think Israel when someone says "Holy Land"..... at least, I do.

Israel, Egypt and that region are so volatile there is no predicting what will be more than a year from now. There is every chance conditions could quiet down and travel will be safer and there is every chance it could remain in such turmoil. We all hope peace can be achieved but I doubt anyone can tell you what will be year from now.

If you seriously wish to travel to Israel either by cruise ship or any other way, and many of us have done so and many wish to, I would suggest you put a deposit on your dream trip, buy insurance and wait to see what happens.

It is a sensible question you asked but we all need to 'wait and see'.

Edited by sail7seas

Thanks, Sail. Will have to give it some more thought. I hate to even place a deposit and start to plan on something like this, when it might not happen. There are certainly a lot of places to cruise in this world! This is such a great place to see what others have experienced that I felt it was worth throwing it out there. ;)

We ended up in Haifa (overnight stay) after our Egyptian ports were cancelled. We were talking on our roll call about the chances of Egypt being cancelled a year before we were supposed to be there. We heard nothing from the cruise line (Cunard) until a month before our scheduled arrival. We were all expecting a change (we were guessing possibilities on the roll call), so although some were disappointed, I doubt anyone was really surprised.

This happened on a World Voyage, so most people don't book for one specific country or port. With a cruise where Israel might be the big selling factor, having the ports cancelled would be much more disappointing.

I was really surprised how much I enjoyed Israel. We spent the first day in Jerusalem and the second along the Jordan River.

I hope things settle down soon for all concerned.

Holy Land is the last on my bucket list for that region. I have done the rest. Egypt I have spent a total of 10 weeks touring through that country on two seperate occassions. I was ever so glad I got to visit Syria in 2005. Have been to Jordan twice and Middle East. Only two countries left is Iraq (probably no chance but got within 60km of the border) and Iran which I'm still thinking about in the future but a land based tour.

I did cover a bit of the Stans in Central Asia. Wonderful region, Uzbekistan, really blew me away with all mosaics in the mosques. Just wonderful, thought it was better than the Valley of Kings for wow factor.

I don't blame you for being concerned about what will or will not happen -- even a year from now. The situation in that area is not good right now. We are just lucky that we visited there back in the 90's and even then guards were everywhere.

Do you have a TA that if you book the cruise now and then change your mind a few months down the road, he/she won't charge you a fee for cancelling?

Let us know what you decide.

doing the Holy Land is always chancy just because of the political climate.

When we went we were fortunate and got everywhere. Two weeks later no cruse ships were going as things had deteriorated again.

Is it worth it? Absolutely. The Holy Land is incredible. We did ships' tours there and they were quite good.

I would definitely recommend going if at all possible. We are grateful we went when we did.

My wife and I really enjoyed our visit to Isreal by way of Ashdod and Haifa. While we were glad we also visited Egypt we found it, even in peacetime, to be difficult. Isreal is worth a visit--at least it was to us.

Isreal and Palestine will somehow settle the current conflict but will not have real peace for a long time. Than being said there it could be calm and peaceful when you are scheduled to go--as there was when we visited. Why not book it but be prepared to cancel? Take out platinum insurance in case you cancel at the last minute. It is always good to have insurance. If you book through HAL is doesn't cost anything to cancel (you might try one of their personal cruise consultants).

We had to cancel a visit several years before we actually went because of unrest. We were disappointed but knew it was a possibility and had alternative plans ready.

I can understand your concern about a cruise in Israel.

If you do decide to book, as was suggested, be sure and take out travel insurance with trip cancellation/interruption insurance. Read the coverage terms carefully, and better yet, CALL THEM to discuss the situation. You want to be sure you understand the terms under which you can cancel and receive a refund.

Some of the major insurance sites are: insuremytrip.com, squaremouth.com, and tripinsurancestore.com. They all seem to have their followers.

I have visited Israel on a cruise ship and on a land trip. There's no doubt that the latter is better; there is much to see and you need time to take it all in. Also, if something should come up (such as the current situation), there's every likelihood that your trip would be cancelled and you'd be refunded -- as opposed to a cruise where you'd likely get one or two replacement ports that may or may not be interesting to you.

Is the Holy Land worth it? Absolutely. I am not religious, but the history of the region is astounding.

Like another poster above, I've been to several countries in the middle east when things were calmer -- Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, and Syria in addition to Israel. I'm so glad I did.

Really wanted to go on a cruise that included Jerusalem and Haifa but with everything going on now over there, I think it's probably wise to bow out, even thought it's not until next fall. Can I get some feedback here from anyone who has gone? Or done a cruise and had the ports in Israel cancelled?Thanks! :)

We went a couple of years ago when rockets were coming over from Gaza. It was not a war type situation like now but media made it seem pretty big. We never felt unsafe the whole time we were there. Our cruise line canceled Ashdod, the port for Jerusalem. However, all the same excursions left from Haifa. It was the best cruise ever because of going to the Holy Land. We took an overnight excursion from Haifa to Jerusalem, Bethlehem, the Masada, and the Dead Sea. Fabulous.

I'd wait and see if things settle down before dropping out.

I've just heard on the news Israel may be withdrawing troops from Gaza without a truce being declared. Perhaps the worst of the firing is over.......... for now.

It was announced earlier today that an 8 hr ceasefire was agreed? (Yet another one):cool:

Just had a quick check on the news but it's all as clear as mud. Both sides accusing the other of breaking the ceasefire.

I heard news of troop withdrawal by Israel which would be more than a cease fire. No cease fire yet declared has done anything to make travelers more secure about planning excursions in Israel, for now. A withdrawal of troops gives a bit hope,,,,, maybe?

We went a couple of years ago when rockets were coming over from Gaza. It was not a war type situation like now but media made it seem pretty big. We never felt unsafe the whole time we were there. Our cruise line canceled Ashdod, the port for Jerusalem. However, all the same excursions left from Haifa. It was the best cruise ever because of going to the Holy Land. We took an overnight excursion from Haifa to Jerusalem, Bethlehem, the Masada, and the Dead Sea. Fabulous.

I'd wait and see if things settle down before dropping out.

We had the same in 2011 on the Prinsendam. Ashdod was cancelled, because of the rockets, but we spent 2 nights in Haifa instead.

As much as I love cruises, I don't think anyone should plan a cruise if they will be devastated if a port is skipped. There are many stories on these boards of altered itineraries due to weather and mechanical problems as well as political situations. We were also on a Holy Land cruise in 2011 that skipped Ashdod due to rocket fire. Our original itinerary of 2 days in Ashdod and 2 days in Haifa became 4 days in Haifa. However, I met a fellow passenger who was on her third Holy Land cruise. Our sailing was the first time that her ship had actually docked in Israel.

lollytw, I hope you get to visit the Holy Land, but be prepared that a cruise may not be the most reliable option. We loved the area so much that we returned last fall on a land trip. We bought "cancel for any reason" insurance and almost used it due to the Syrian situation. We decided to go and had an amazing journey. Best wishes!

have done 2. would have done 3 but the ship we booked was in dry dock for the dates we picked (last time we ever used a local travel agent for a cruise) and the replacement ship was not fast enough for the booked itinerary.

did the last one last February. retirement trip but also want to get it in before stuff blew up. Was thinking Israel would be the main problem but with Turkey being run by the muslim brotherhood and egypt in turmoil who knows.

what I can say is that the cruise companies watch the situation closely. they do not want to lose a several hundred million dollar investment. so if real danger they will likely cancel ports.

ashore I would try and get on a tour organized on cruise critic by passengers. smaller groups. not only fewer people so better for the tour, but cheaper and can focus on what you really want to do. if tour groups targeted then smaller buses less of a target too. we did this on our last holy land tour. in egypt our 24 passenger bus (with 12 pax) joined the convoy of about 50 buses from out ship into Cairo. convoy had troops guarding it.

all that being said if it makes you nervous do not book as you will not enjoy the trip if you are nervous about it.