Rome hotels for pre cruise stay?

langleyfld

Anyone know about these?

Hotel Golden

Hotel Sonya

Hotel Mercure Rome Colosseum

Hotel Le Clarriesse al Pantheon

Researching hotels for our spring Rome Pre-Cruise 4 night stay.

Has anyone stayed in these that we are considering?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

I stayed in Hotel Sonya a little less than 2 years ago. It is walkable from Termini but located in one of the nicer areas around the train station (that's not saying a lot, however).

The Hotel itself is okay. There wasn't anything especially nice about it other than the proximity to Termini. I wouldn't have chosen to stay there if I wasn't literally arriving by train to Rome in the afternoon and leaving by air the next morning.

The one annoying thing was the heat. I stayed there in late March and it was fairly warm but the heat was on and there was no way to ameliorate it other than opening the window (and the street outside was fairly loud).

REALLY recommend staying in the historical center of Rome, close to the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, etc. You will be able to walk everywhere and IMO have a better experience than staying close to Termini--better restaurants, too. There is really NO benefit to staying near Termini (other than cheaper hotels, for a reason)--it's only a 10E cab ride from the Centro Storico if you need to take a train.

Cruisemom's favorite (and many others) is Albergo del Senato, but it can be pricey depending on time of year. Check Hotel Smeraldo, Albergo Cesari, Hotel Navona for lower cost but well located hotels. You might also consider renting an apartment through VRBO or even AirB&B.

Venere.com is a good resource and you can pinpoint the areas you like.

Thanks for the info. For some reason, this seems scarier to plan than anywhere else we've traveled, lol!

This is our 40th anniversary gift to each other. And with the cost of airfare, we want to make every moment count.

For such a monumental anniversary- I would probably stay at the Marriott across from the Borghese Park. You can walk to many places from there and it's just such a great location- with the park. I'd spend a bit extra and stay there.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-photos/romdt-rome-marriott-grand-hotel-flora/

I wasn't previously aware of Hotel Le Clarisse al Pantheon, but having just read the reviews on TripAdvisor it sounds like a not bad choice and is in what I consider one of the most central areas and one that is great at night (lots of restaurants, people out strolling, etc.)

REALLY recommend staying in the historical center of Rome, close to the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, etc. You will be able to walk everywhere and IMO have a better experience than staying close to Termini--better restaurants, too. There is really NO benefit to staying near Termini (other than cheaper hotels, for a reason)--it's only a 10E cab ride from the Centro Storico if you need to take a train.

Cruisemom's favorite (and many others) is Albergo del Senato, but it can be pricey depending on time of year. Check Hotel Smeraldo, Albergo Cesari, Hotel Navona for lower cost but well located hotels. You might also consider renting an apartment through VRBO or even AirB&B.

I agree with CathyCruise and CruiseMom. This is a great area to stay and the hotels listed are all nice with a wide price range. We rented an apartment in the same area last October and loved it. With 4 nights you would have lots of apt options. Larry

For such a monumental anniversary- I would probably stay at the Marriott across from the Borghese Park. You can walk to many places from there and it's just such a great location- with the park. I'd spend a bit extra and stay there.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-photos/romdt-rome-marriott-grand-hotel-flora/

Yes! I stayed there for a week last month and it is a very nice hotel in a great location; fantastic staff and it has a rooftop restaurant with a view of Rome. Harry's Bar is across the street, the American Embassy is down the street, it's right next to the Borghese Gardens and a short walk to the subway. My husband is a Marriott Platinum and we were upgraded to a suite with a private terrace.

We could not get reservations at the Albergo Del Senato the first three nights and found a hotel close to Termini station. We were pleasantly surprised by the big rooms and roof restaurant and terrace of Hotel Mediterraneo on Via Cavour. We walked to the Albergo and checked their rooms: TINY. We also did not like the crowds milling around there so we cancelled our Albergo reservation and stayed very happily at Mediterraneo.:D

We stayed at this Marriott a night before and again a night after our cruise and loved it! Across the street from the Metro and Via Veneto is a lovely street. We walked to the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and the rooftop has a spectacular view! Say hello to Antonio, one of the bell captains!

Strongly agree with Cathy. We twice have stayed at Hotel Smeraldo near Campo di'Fiori and the transportation hub of Largo Argentina. Just a wonderful location for wandering Old Rome at night before and after dinner.

Highly recommend Hotel Barocco at Piazza Barberini. best breakfast and staff anywhere I have ever stayed in all of Europe. Regular rooms are small but immaculate with wonderful linens. And I have always gotten an upgrade when I am there, sometimes to a very large and expensive room. Five minutes walk to Trevi, Pantheon and around the corner from Spanish Steps.

Its not cheap but slightly less than Albergo Senato and one of the top recommended hotels on Trip Advisor.

We made our hotel choice and we're booking it this week!

So excited about our choice and location!!! :-)

Now to start on airfare, yikes!!

How far in advance should we book airfare?

Thank you all for your suggestions about hotels!

Try matrix.itasoftware.com for a great range of flights--it is not a travel agency, just helps find the good deals.

Hi, Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Artimede or Floris Hotel? I have tentatively booked these two for pre and post cruise. Artimede is a bit pricey but gets really good reviews. There are a few complaints about the elevator and building appearance with Floris but otherwise the rooms and the hotel get good reviews. Is the location good for restaurants and walking around to see the sights? I tried to pick a good location but as I haven't been there before, I am unsure of whether it will be or not.

Just had a look at the locations--both are very close to Termini, the main train station. In my opinion, and that of others on this forum, that is not an ideal location, certainly not in the 'center' as they advertise.

My suggestion would be to go to venere dot com and check the boxes for Piazza Navona and Pantheon and see what hotels pop up for your dates. That is REALLY in the "Centro Storico" and in an ideal location for accessing all the major sites plus lovely strolling at night, etc.

Some hotels that I know are in that area are Albergo del Senato, Albergo Cesari, Hotel Smeraldo, Hotel Navona, just to name a few. If you check their locations you will see the general area that many people prefer.

We stayed at a 6 room B&B called Relais Argentina that was ideally located, perfect for us, but no lift and only 'manned' a few hours a day. Since we have been to Rome many times it worked for us but may not work for newcomers. They did carry our bags up and down the stairs (and wheeled them to the taxi stand when we were ready to depart!) which was lovely.

I think for many, especially first timers to Rome or those "less traveled", it is out of their comfort zone to book an apartment or a B&B that is unmanned most of the time………

which is really a shame for a number of reasons …..

1) it can save you a TON of money. An apartment sounds like it would be more money but its not. Not sure why but both times we have rented in Rome we saved a bunch !!! 2) You have so much more room. A lot of people say they aren't in their room much anyway BUT if you are staying 3-4-5 nights the extra room is really nice. Most come with a full kitchen and a living area. I hate having to get up and get dressed just to get my coffee and truly enjoy breakfast in my jammies :o We always head to the nearest grocery (they are all over just not big ones like we are used to) and pick up danish or other breakfast items and usually some snacks and even a lunch menu for one day. Depending on what time of year we go we will head out early (after breakfast) sightsee then return to the apartment for a lunch and rest a bit (especially on the first day due to travel weariness) and then head out again for the afternoon/evening/night. 3) We have always found that locals are very willing to help out if there is a need for questions regarding directions, good restaurants etc etc…. and have personally stepped into a hotel and asked same even tho we weren't staying there…. As a side note: most apartments have a manager or owner who is easily reached if need be. On our last trip (with MIL who is not mobile) we called the owner and he had a taxi sent to our door to take us to the Vatican for our tour. Another time - another apartment the owner who lived in the building kept our luggage after checkout so we could do the Scavi tour early before leaving to board the ship. Others will arrange tours for you, have a chef come in and cook for you among other things…..

Anyway, just some info for those who are on the fence about renting versus hotel……. its not for everyone I guess but we love it. I feel like I live there when I stay in an apartment :)

.....and I'll just add my usual disclaimer to texancruzer's post. Apartments are great for those who enjoy them, but not everyone does, and they are not necessary to make one feel a part of things, at least IMO. :) (And I'm a pretty well-traveled person.)

P.S. I feel like I live in Rome when I'm there for more than a couple of days. Whether I'm staying in a hotel or an apartment, I'm in and out of grocery stores, salumeria, etc.

So which did you choose ?...Please come back and post about your stay there.

So excited...we booked the " Hotel le Clarriesse al Pantheon ". It's 2 mins. from the Pantheon and a few blocks from Piazza Navona.

I emailed the Hotel several times with questions. They were so polite and prompt in responding.

We can't wait!!!

And yes, I will definitely give a review after our trip in February.

So excited...we booked the " Hotel le Clarriesse al Pantheon ". It's 2 mins. from the Pantheon and a few blocks from Piazza Navona.

I emailed the Hotel several times with questions. They were so polite and prompt in responding.

We can't wait!!!

And yes, I will definitely give a review after our trip in February.

Sounds like a PERFECT location. Please do let us know, folks are always asking and it's nice to have some first hand recommendations handy.

Thank you CathyCruises, Texancruzer and Cruisemom42 for all the helpful information. I think that because it will be our first time in Rome we would prefer a hotel that can provide services and information. Maybe next visit ;) we might feel more confident in choosing an apartment or BnB. It is worth thinking about, especially for the $$ savings.

I've had a bit of a look and Albergo del Senato is booked out for the dates we need! I like the rooftop terrace in Albergo Cesari, it would be nice to sit up there in the evenings after a day of walking around. I will keep researching but I will also keep the hold on the two I have got, as it seems like many of the hotels book out quickly. We will be in Rome at the end of May 2015.

I've had a bit of a look and Albergo del Senato is booked out for the dates we need! I like the rooftop terrace in Albergo Cesari, it would be nice to sit up there in the evenings after a day of walking around. I will keep researching but I will also keep the hold on the two I have got, as it seems like many of the hotels book out quickly. We will be in Rome at the end of May 2015.

One thing to know about many European hotels is that for some reason their booking engines won't allow you to book rooms that are a long time in advance. If you're going to Rome end of May 2015, the hotel may not be sold out. I suggest you email them directly and ask about availability. But end of May is going to be peak season prices.