When do you Start your Cruise? On the Plane Ride?

UntrainedBrain

I am working on a proposal for a First Class Bus service for intercity runs.

One thought occurred to me was that our future passengers might want to start their cruise on the trip to the cruise terminal or airport. Get into a Cruising State of Sind from the moment you start the trip.

What Items or Services would be offered on the ride to the airport or terminal that would put you in a Cruising State of Mind? (The ride would be 90 minutes or more to the airport/terminal but the cost would be much less than flying.)

Manicurist? Cruising Theme on Bus? Cruise Goody Bags? Cruising Movies? A stop at Costco for cases of water? Meet other cruisers on the bus?

What would you like to before or on your way to the airport or terminal that would put you in a better state of mind before you embark?

One thought occurred to me was that our future passengers might want to start their cruise on the trip to the cruise terminal or airport. Get into a Cruising State of Sind from the moment you start the trip.

What Items or Services would be offered on the ride to the airport or terminal that would put you in a Cruising State of Mind? (The ride would be 90 minutes or more to the airport/terminal but the cost would be much less than flying.)

Manicurist? Cruising Theme on Bus? Cruise Goody Bags? Cruising Movies? A stop at Costco for cases of water? Meet other cruisers on the bus?

What would you like to before or on your way to the airport or terminal that would put you in a better state of mind before you embark?

I'm not happy till actually on board.

Anyway I wouldn't go with any firm the doesn't double check any publicity for typos. :-P (Sind/Mind). I would be too worried that if something so basic is wrong what about complicated stuff such as pick up times etc.

You will find me behind the sofa ducking the missiles heading my way. :D

We've always driven to the port but the cruise doesn't start until we are onboard with the first drink of the day in hand. Up until that point it's just getting to the port. There is a bus that runs from the Albany area to Manhattan that we may use someday but it's just a bus ride, getting to the port.

Mine starts the minute I lock the front door and get in the car to drive to the port. I know that in anywhere from 20 minutes to 6 hours (depending on the port) we'll see the ship in the distance as we pull into port and soon after we'll be on the ship.

This month we are leaving from our home via a car sevice to the port of bayonne. Our vacation will begin when we have our luggage and ourselves in the car! It will be great not having to fly or drive to the terminal.

When we fly, our vacation begins as soon as we enter the airport terminal.

A bus ride to an airport, no matter how luxurious, is still a bus ride to an airport - meaning you still have to check bags, go through security, wait to board, wait to get off plane, claim baggage, get to cruise terminal, wait to check in for cruise, etc. There is no way the "cruise" will have started when you get on that bus. No matter how you get to the cruise terminal, the "cruise" does not start until you board the ship - and some will say not until after you unpack and perhaps finish with the muster drill.

I would NEVER ride on a bus that was doing manicures. I can barely stand the smell in the much more open environment of a salon.

I don't want a "theme" because usually it's tackier than tacky.

I don't want a goodie bag, just more crap to have to haul along or throw away.

I don't want a movie playing--movies on public transportation unless it's individual IFE with many choices usually suck.

I definitely don't want to stop at freaking Costco where I don't even have a membership.

I don't really care to meet others on the bus. I want to sit in my seat with the belt fastened, look out the window, chat with my spouse, or take a nap.

Save the money that you'd spend on all this crap and give me a clean, safe, quiet newer bus that gets me there as promised at a fair price.

Edited by ducklite

I'm not happy till actually on board.

Anyway I wouldn't go with any firm the doesn't double check any publicity for typos. :-P (Sind/Mind). I would be too worried that if something so basic is wrong what about complicated stuff such as pick up times etc.

You will find me behind the sofa ducking the missiles heading my way. :D

I caught that as well and agree. Total pet peeve of mine. If you are a random person, I don't care about the typos, I'm quite guilty of them myself. Once you cross over the line to business, keep it ultra-professional and part of that is proof reading before you click send.

My cruise starts when I am through the getting there including transport to the port, registration, and finding my cabin. I am preoccupied in a negative state getting there especially by air and all of that hassle and discomfort. As for bus transport, I would just hope for a comfortable space and little waiting time, just get me where we are going in some comfort. Special services and stopping to shop en route, no, I won't ride that bus.

My vacation starts after I get through security and I'm sitting in the Delta Sky Club with a mimosa in hand. My cruise starts when I hear that "ding" as I cross the ship's threshold and grab another mimosa. :)

Since I was in marching band in college and rode more buses than I really care to count, I now avoid them as much as possible (the bus into Denali National Park being pretty much the lone exception in the past 29 years!). I will either drive myself to a port or fly (usually the latter).

Our cruises start when our car service arrives and loads our bags. We have ben fortunate enough to have enough miles to travel business class. We can arrive at the airport early and use the Business Class Lounge for a light meal before boarding the flight.

At our age, we need those reclining seats on those 12 hour flights.

Unfortunately we have to drive 2 hours just to get to a hotel near our airport where we stay overnight.

Since we no longer have direct flights to anywhere, it is a long flying day.

We always fly into the embarkation port 2 or 3 days early.

Once we are at our embarkation hotel, we can relax and start to think about the cruise.

Once we are actually on the ship and have that first cocktail -- then we are in cruise mode.

If I wanted to be in a "vacation mode" from the start of the trip I wouldn't take a bus. I would take a private car service. I prefer a quiet (no radio, no annoying person on a mobile phone, no babies crying, no chatty Cathy talking my ear off) car where I can review my details, make any last minute calls and just close my eyes for a bit.

My work has me traveling every week so I usually drive my personal car to the airport, then walk my own bags through the terminal and am very "self service" but generally when traveling for vacation I use a car service (mostly because it is cheaper to use than parking at the airport since I refuse to use the remote economy lots that require a bus) then allow the airport and hotel porters handle the larger bags.

I don't need a stop for water/booze since Seabourn is all inclusive in that regard. I did once have the driver stop at a drugstore as I had a slight panic that I wouldn't have enough sunscreen. In the end I had actually packed plenty but I decided I would rather be safe than sorry.

Generally once we gotten on board... then we have the taxi to the airport, airport, plane ride all behind us.... sometimes on an international flight we may celebrate with a few drinks, helps to pass the time.

Sorry about the typing mistakes. I am merely working on a thought and looking for information.

Our location is a while from civilization with buses being part to the story to get to the boat. Having been on poor service buses and buses with no springs (Belize Ruins Tours) my work is find a better way to transport people to the Cruise.

My goal is improve the transportation leg so that you don't remember it. Why arrive frazzled when you can arrive refreshed?

(No I am not some corporate marketing person, just a guy trying to improve transportation services one leg at a time.)

I don't think your business model is sound. What is this mystery destination that currently doesn't have satisfactory ground transportation to the cruise port? This port would need enough traffic to have a dedicated bus service and also a clientele that would be willing to pay a premium for this service. People can rattle off all kinds of things they would like to see on a bus (similar to people brainstorming about what they would like to see XYZ cruise line offer) but the real question is what you are offering something that busloads of people daily are willing to shell out more money for.

What is the current rate for this current bus service? What are the costs associated with adding these extras? Adding movies has a lot of maintenance costs with equipment along with licensing fees for the movies. Many airlines are starting to move away from build in IFE and transitioning to streaming to customers devices.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2457857,00.asp

Manicures - not really feasible as there are way to many sanitation and safety requirements. Also since a maicure is 30-45 minute service you would only be able to service 2 guests per trip with one manicurist.

Themed bus - again I would wonder if you have enough cruise traffic to make your bus for cruises only. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a more generic bus that could be re-purposed for other activities. Disney has some cruise busses, but when not shuttling people to the port they are also flexed and used to transit passengers from the airport to the WDW resort hotels.

Goody bags - not sure what I would want/need in a bag. It isn't like a long distance plane ride where an amenity kit is needed. About the only thing I would maybe like is a sealed bottle of water, especially in hot destinations.

You are putting too much into this. Start to think about the cruise when you book...

If you checked my bags and got them on the plane, and handed me a piña colada while I took a seat and you played some Jimmy Buffet music then I would be on vacation the moment I boarded your bus.

Edited by Karysa

Sorry about the typing mistakes. I am merely working on a thought and looking for information.

Our location is a while from civilization with buses being part to the story to get to the boat. Having been on poor service buses and buses with no springs (Belize Ruins Tours) my work is find a better way to transport people to the Cruise.

My goal is improve the transportation leg so that you don't remember it. Why arrive frazzled when you can arrive refreshed?

(No I am not some corporate marketing person, just a guy trying to improve transportation services one leg at a time.)

I'm not sure if driving to the airport or the cruise itself is as stressful for folks as you seem to think it is. Many of us arrive to the port city the day before because being in the debarkation city the day before the cruise is all the destressor that is needed.