Ten Years From Now...... HAL

sail7seas

DW and I are some of those that have moved to The Haven on Norwegian. The Suite facilities are vastly superior, plus we like the ability to have facilities that exceed luxury lines, but have access to mainstream ship facilities when we choose. All I'll say is that most of the people we've met in The Haven are former HAL loyalists who want more out of a cruise line, and a better cruise experience. We aren't itinerary driven, as we sail primarily to relax and get away. The Haven provides exactly that... An escape at sea

I think that this is one area where HAL is incredibly weak - it just does not provide a true suite experience. Nearly every other cruise line provides more and does it better. I hope that the new Pinnacle Class ships usher in a new era of top notch suite experiences on HAL's ships.

I do think that there is a future for HAL, although I feel that HAL's value proposition has been severely compromised by the constant cuts. Sadly, I do not see that changing any time soon.

And to be totally honest, lately we have been receiving MUCH better service on Norwegian...staying in a suite or not. We were welcomed back on Breakaway by SO MANY people on our last cruise that it was unreal. We were treated like family.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And to be totally honest, lately we have been receiving MUCH better service on Norwegian...staying in a suite or not. We were welcomed back on Breakaway by SO MANY people on our last cruise that it was unreal. We were treated like family.

That is how we feel as well. And we have only done 4 NCL cruises with number 5 coming up in November. To us NCL feels like HAL did 5 plus years ago. I do truly hope that with the New Pinnacle Class ship HAL will introduce a new level of Suites and over all service but I fear that that may not happen. In the mean time Many loyal HAL cruisers have started to search else where and found some very nice replacements.

I have read for years about how terrible NCL food was, maybe I am weird but we have found the food on NCL to be great. Some of my most memorable Good meals were on our most recent NCL cruise :) The price we pay for the cruise in many cases is ever so slightly lower than HAL that paying for the specialty dining makes it come out about even and we love many of the dining venues on NCL. While I have not had the opportunity to sail on the Getaway or Breakaway I have been told by many that once you try those ships you don't look back at what you had done in the past. For right now I am happy with the Jewel Class of of NCL ships. They are very much like the Vista Class with far more crew and seem much happier and they are bringing the Jewel to the West Coast for regular weekly sailings starting in Fall 2015. This makes me Happy:D. While I would love to have the time to travel destinations of interest when I cruise, at this point it is for the ship and total relaxation, service and dining and fun. Simply said the ship is the destination and I want nice spas, great restaurants and smiling happy crew with great service, If I have that I spend lots of money on board making the cruise line money. HAL has taken that away from the West Coast. So until they bring back a Vista ship to the West Coast.....

Sadly what I keep hearing from HAL management is that HAL makes NO Money with On Board Spending on the West Coast cruises. We went on a 7 night New Years Cruise on the Veendam with FULL intentions of spending lots of money. Sadly there was nothing going on, hardly any entertainment which led up back to our cabin early which kept us from spending money. I love the spa but the spa on the S and R Class ships are terrible had it been a Vista Class I would have spent probably close to $1000 for the week. Not sure what HAL is trying to do by placing their worst ship and expecting results.

This thread is depressing me.:( I used to love HAL, but so many negative points are being made on this thread that you cannot argue with. So sad to see the decline in the past 5 or 6 years, especially.

One can only hope that someone at HAL is reading this and they have contact with the Powers that Be to start to making some changes. Unfortunately while I feel the current promotion of Explore4 is far better than last years. That is not going to solve their problems. I am hoping they get their head out of the sand and start to making some major changes.

That is how we feel as well. And we have only done 4 NCL cruises with number 5 coming up in November. To us NCL feels like HAL did 5 plus years ago. I do truly hope that with the New Pinnacle Class ship HAL will introduce a new level of Suites and over all service but I fear that that may not happen. In the mean time Many loyal HAL cruisers have started to search else where and found some very nice replacements.

I have read for years about how terrible NCL food was, maybe I am weird but we have found the food on NCL to be great. Some of my most memorable Good meals were on our most recent NCL cruise :) The price we pay for the cruise in many cases is ever so slightly lower than HAL that paying for the specialty dining makes it come out about even and we love many of the dining venues on NCL. While I have not had the opportunity to sail on the Getaway or Breakaway I have been told by many that once you try those ships you don't look back at what you had done in the past. For right now I am happy with the Jewel Class of of NCL ships. They are very much like the Vista Class with far more crew and seem much happier and they are bringing the Jewel to the West Coast for regular weekly sailings starting in Fall 2015. This makes me Happy:D. While I would love to have the time to travel destinations of interest when I cruise, at this point it is for the ship and total relaxation, service and dining and fun. Simply said the ship is the destination and I want nice spas, great restaurants and smiling happy crew with great service, If I have that I spend lots of money on board making the cruise line money. HAL has taken that away from the West Coast. So until they bring back a Vista ship to the West Coast.....

Sadly what I keep hearing from HAL management is that HAL makes NO Money with On Board Spending on the West Coast cruises. We went on a 7 night New Years Cruise on the Veendam with FULL intentions of spending lots of money. Sadly there was nothing going on, hardly any entertainment which led up back to our cabin early which kept us from spending money. I love the spa but the spa on the S and R Class ships are terrible had it been a Vista Class I would have spent probably close to $1000 for the week. Not sure what HAL is trying to do by placing their worst ship and expecting results.

First time I have said it here, but Norwegian is what I have come to expect from a so-called "premium" cruise line. I have caught myself several times referring to NCL as a premium line, and HAL as mass market (even though NCL is contemporary). The lines between contemporary and "premium" are blurring...especially when DW and I (who are fairly well cruised) consider NCL in the "premium" category, and a step above HAL in many areas. Apparently DW and I are not the only ones that feel this way, because the Breakaway (and Dawn out of Boston) typically have higher fares than the competition.

I personally think it is asinine for HAL to try to compete against the Dawn with the Veendam out of Boston on the Bermuda run. We liked the Veendam, but if they REALLY want to make it a go, HAL management needs to use more up-to-date (and comparable) equipment.

Edited by UPNYGuy

If you are a spa person, the S9 suites on the Breakaway and Getaway are going to be right up your alley ;). Spa stateroom with a jacuzzi tub, full Haven access, and included thermal suite passes. Treatments not included ;) BA and GA have a full thermal suite with salt room. IIRC the spa is 24,000 sq feet.

That was our first experience in a Haven stateroom. Now we are addicted. The S9 are outside of the Haven complex, but are only a short walk to it.

If you are a spa person, the S9 suites on the Breakaway and Getaway are going to be right up your alley ;). Spa stateroom with a jacuzzi tub, full Haven access, and included thermal suite passes. Treatments not included ;) BA and GA have a full thermal suite with salt room. IIRC the spa is 24,000 sq feet.

That was our first experience in a Haven stateroom. Now we are addicted. The S9 are outside of the Haven complex, but are only a short walk to it.

Oh Trust me I know :D I have spoke to several that have had this and are just blown away. When they get back they keep telling me I was so right and that I have to try these. It is on my bucket list. I just plain do not have the vacation time I once had and until 2017 will be limited to just 2 weeks a year so have to choose them wisely ;) Next year I am taking a HAL Alaska cruise but have different reasons for why we are taking that one but will be taking the Jewel out of Los Angeles in Fall 2015 just have not picked the exact date yet and will most likely chose our aft SF cabins. Will probably wait till I can purchase another Cruise Certificate on our November Jewel cruise. Right now thinking we will try to do the Escape for late for April 23rd of 2016 and looking at the H9 ;) The H9 will have everything I could possibly want!!

Edited by LAFFNVEGAS

This thread confirms what I have been telling DH, this line is trending downward and is a shadow of what it was the first time we sailed, about 2001. The onboard experience has become so boring, no innovation whatsoever. I cannot even occupy my time admiring the physical plant like I used to. Too many moldy olds ships and the Prinsendam falls into this category. For the first time in years I did not buy a future cruise credit on the Prinsendam. We will probably sail the new ship and would book a last minute deal but I'm not spending time planning another HAL trip.

We have more days on Princess and their product continually improves. Their past passenger program treats us royally and I feel they appreciate my business. The mariner program is mostly worthless until you hit the 200 day mark.

I'm hearing good things about NCL but we were blown away by Oceania, food, service ambiance were fabulous and the ships are drop dead gorgeous.

Seeing the Pinnacle ship is being built at Fincantieri, can we expect any drastically better built, more intriguing design than the current ships? It was until Noordam, the fourth Vista, that class of ships got it just right. IMO

Edited by sail7seas

Seeing the Pinnacle ship is being built at Fincantieri, can we expect any drastically better built, more intriguing design than the current ships? It was until Noordam, the fourth Vista, that class of ships got it just right. IMO

Sadly I think being built at Fincantieri is the first problem :( It is too bad the CCL Corp is in too deep with them and HAL could not have gone with Meyer Werft. They seem to the the ship builder putting out the most innovative and better ships.

If memory serves me well, there were a number of corrrections needed when Zuiderdam first started

sailing and then the same happened with Eurodam.

A new class of ship seems hard to get just right first time through. For all I

know that is true of all shipyards but I do recall there were a number of uncompleted,

not functional items in Eurodam's early cruises.

Edited by sail7seas

Sadly I think being built at Fincantieri is the first problem :( It is too bad the CCL Corp is in too deep with them and HAL could not have gone with Meyer Werft. They seem to the the ship builder putting out the most innovative and better ships.

Agree. Meyer Werft built ships seem to be higher quality.

Agree. Meyer Werft built ships seem to be higher quality.

NCL learned that one pretty quickly. Epic was built at Fincantieri - they cancelled the other proposed builds and went back to Meyer-Werft for Breakaway, Getaway and the Escape.

NCL learned that one pretty quickly. Epic was built at Fincantieri - they cancelled the other proposed builds and went back to Meyer-Werft for Breakaway, Getaway and the Escape.

Epic was built at STX Europe.

Meyer Werft is rumored to be in acquisition talks of STX.

Norwegian Epic, Sun, and Sky are the only current vessels that are in the NCL fleet NOT built at Meyer Werft if I recall correctly. Epic was built at STX Europe, and sun/sky fitted out at Lloyd Werft. Sun and Sky were originally built at Bremer Vulcan, but they went bankrupt before the ships were finished.

DW and I are some of those that have moved to The Haven on Norwegian. The Suite facilities are vastly superior, plus we like the ability to have facilities that exceed luxury lines, but have access to mainstream ship facilities when we choose. All I'll say is that most of the people we've met in The Haven are former HAL loyalists who want more out of a cruise line, and a better cruise experience. We aren't itinerary driven, as we sail primarily to relax and get away. The Haven provides exactly that... An escape at sea

This highlighted comment, coupled with so many other positive comments about HAL itineraries being a differentiator, points to an alternative route for HAL.

I don't cruise to "escape at sea" but for itinerary, and it seems a fair number of HAL cruisers feel the same. Perhaps, instead of trying to compete with the "haven" type concept that it seems most lines are gravitating to, HAL should provide an alternative: great itineraries at a fair price in moderately-sized ships. Not luxury, but good, dependable solid (Dutch?) value, perhaps?

IMO HAL should drop the pretense of "A Signature of Excellence" and do something along the line of "See the world on a HAL ship", with a campaign emphasizing HAL's history at sea.

Personally, I find the whole "special luxury areas for certain passengers" trend a bit distasteful. Give me well maintained ships with decent food, great itineraries and great speakers that enrich the travel experience, and I'm in.

Edited by cruisemom42

This highlighted comment, coupled with so many other positive comments about HAL itineraries being a differentiator, points to an alternative route for HAL.

I don't cruise to "escape at sea" but for itinerary, and it seems a fair number of HAL cruisers feel the same. Perhaps, instead of trying to compete with the "haven" type concept that it seems most lines are gravitating to, HAL should provide an alternative: great itineraries at a fair price in moderately-sized ships. Not luxury, but good, dependable solid (Dutch?) value, perhaps?

IMO HAL should drop the pretense of "A Signature of Excellence" and do something along the line of "See the world on a HAL ship", with a campaign emphasizing HAL's history at sea.

Personally, I find the whole "special luxury areas for certain passengers" trend a bit distasteful. Give me well maintained ships with decent food, great itineraries and great speakers that enrich the travel experience, and I'm in.

Well said, I couldn't agree more.

The BIG Questions that has been repeated time and time again on this board and I personally have witness is what you underlined "Well Maintained" The Question is.... Is HAL ships Well Maintained.... I personally beg to differ or at least compared to other lines. It is sad that a ship such as the Volendam has not had any of the new enhancements and is the last ship to get any money spent on her. Where other ships in the fleet had these new dry goods on them 5 years ago. Do you really feel that HAL ships are Well Maintained :confused: We as cruisers do not really see what is behind the scenes. With the major CUT BACK in crew, there would also be cut back in crew that can keep up the maintenance don't you think...... Definitely some words for thought here...

The ship-within-a-ship trend is geared toward those that may defect toward luxury lines. I'll admit that I pay for The Haven to be secluded from everybody else on the ship, and to have guaranteed, priority access to whatever I want. I do not see how that is distasteful. The cruise lines are catering to those guests that want the extras that come with larger vessels, but want the service, exclusivity, and privacy that comes from sailing on a luxury line.

The BIG Questions that has been repeated time and time again on this board and I personally have witness is what you underlined "Well Maintained" The Question is.... Is HAL ships Well Maintained.... I personally beg to differ or at least compared to other lines. It is sad that a ship such as the Volendam has not had any of the new enhancements and is the last ship to get any money spent on her. Where other ships in the fleet had these new dry goods on them 5 years ago. Do you really feel that HAL ships are Well Maintained :confused: We as cruisers do not really see what is behind the scenes. With the major CUT BACK in crew, there would also be cut back in crew that can keep up the maintenance don't you think...... Definitely some words for thought here...

The Statendam was in such bad shape the last time we were on her that we were completely put off from HAL. We also wondered what the mechanics of the ship looked like. When duct tape is being used to repair Fountain of The Siren (in the open in front of everybody) and turn it into a greenery planter, I would question the other practices in place. The ship was a beat up rust bucket. That is as direct a statement I can say.

This thread is depressing me.:( I used to love HAL, but so many negative points are being made on this thread that you cannot argue with. So sad to see the decline in the past 5 or 6 years, especially.

Don't fret - there are still some good ships out there and some still have a good crew to passenger ratio. Sadly you do have to choose carefully. We have no desire to do all 15 of the ships, we've been happy with the ones we chose so far (most times)

Totally agree - the nicest ship in the fleet to handle the seas was not built there. She is unique in the fleet and I will a happily sail her over the newest that have been built in Fincantieri. Too bad HAL is so closely associated as there are other options - a LOT - out there and some wonderful jobs being done.

Despite being old, we prefer the oldest ship in the fleet to the newest. Quality shows :)

The Statendam was in such bad shape the last time we were on her that we were completely put off from HAL. We also wondered what the mechanics of the ship looked like. When duct tape is being used to repair Fountain of The Siren (in the open in front of everybody) and turn it into a greenery planter, I would question the other practices in place. The ship was a beat up rust bucket. That is as direct a statement I can say.

As one who is considering making a booking on this "rust bucket", I am wondering if I should request my stateroom to be Life Boat X rather than stateroom ?. A bit over the top, I think, your comment is.

The S class ships had a couple of innovations that provided to be impractical: escalators and the fountains. Good ideas at that time, but they did not work.

A few previous posts have been critical of the work done on the ships at Fincanteri and I will not disagree with that. I was on the Veendam when she was two years old and there were minor issues with the caulking around my stateroom's bath tub that should not have been happening. That raised quality control issues in my mind then. I have also heard Chief Engineers state that "those who build these ships ought to be made to live on them". Reading between the lines, you know what these gentlemen are saying.

Just my thoughts to be accepted or rejected.