This Thread Is To Be Used For All Discussions About HAL's On Board Smoking Policies

Host Walt

I can smell smoke, as can many non smokers I'd assume, from someone in a parking lot several cars away - providing the wind is favorable.
My DW can smell smoke from nearby cars at a stoplight, even when the windows are rolled up providing the A/C is on. Fortunately my sense of smell is not very good anymore, and I miss a lot of unpleasant odors.

My DW can smell smoke from nearby cars at a stoplight, even when the windows are rolled up providing the A/C is on. Fortunately my sense of smell is not very good anymore, and I miss a lot of unpleasant odors.

LOL

That's about the time I start my "watch/countdown" awaiting the accidental dropping of the cigarette... :rolleyes:

I usually lay on the horn the instant they litter - though I'm pretty sure they're not capable of making the connection.

Tom

DW and I stopped cruising on HAL following a particularly bad experience on a three-week cruise involving inconsiderate smokers.

So were the smokers "inconsiderate" because they were smoking in a non-smoking area or because they were smoking on their balcony, which is allowed?

Irrelevant to our decision to leave HAL for a period of time. "Permitted" and "considerate" are not synonymous terms. Playing the bagpipes on my balcony is permitted but hardly considerate if I do so from dawn to dusk. :)

Sorry my friend but that was not a bright comparison.

Could we get smokers to try bagpipes, instead? We'd all live longer -- and may learn to enjoy bagpipe music.

I'd be worried about them confusing the bagpipes with hookah pipes and trying to light them up! :eek:

You may be more impacted in that location.

The area directly behind a ship (or truck, or car, or train, etc.) is a low pressure area and air either stagnates or is sucked back towards the object. It is referred to as the station wagon effect.

v4n1_co.jpg

Hmmm....I've been in an aft room before and fumes from the ship didn't effect me at all (it was RCL though, so no smoking on board)

I just wish HAL would change their smoking policy. This particular cruise is not offered by any other line that I can find (except Disney), so it's HAL or nothing, and this is my dream cruise.

It just occurred to me that HAL should consider putting pollution filter masks in balcony cabins...or perhaps selling them in their shops. Here is a link to one type that we have been told will filter out 2nd hand smoke:

http://www.icanbreathe.com/products/icb-honeycomb-mask-with-classic-coconut-activated-carbon-filter

This might be a great compromise that allows smokers to use their balconies...and lets the rest of us breath clean air. And this type mask comes in all kinds of stylish colors and patterns....so non-smokers can look trendy why they are adding years to their lives.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

It just occurred to me that HAL should consider putting pollution filter masks in balcony cabins...or perhaps selling them in their shops. Here is a link to one type that we have been told will filter out 2nd hand smoke:

http://www.icanbreathe.com/products/icb-honeycomb-mask-with-classic-coconut-activated-carbon-filter

This might be a great compromise that allows smokers to use their balconies...and lets the rest of us breath clean air. And this type mask comes in all kinds of stylish colors and patterns....so non-smokers can look trendy why they are adding years to their lives.

Hank

I can't see it.

Eyeshade1_large.jpg?v=1443279558

Smoking should not be permitted anywhere on ship. It is disgusting and grossly offensive.

jdshaw1000, thank you for that observation. Smoking truly IS both 'disgusting and grossly offensive' ... not to mention a grave health hazard.

BUT, how about you review a year's worth of posts in this thread? How about you book on ANY other cruise line other than HAL? How about you book any cabin other than a balcony/suite.

Naw, that's not gonna happen. Non-smokers love to complain. Huge SIGH.

jdshaw1000, thank you for that observation. Smoking truly IS both 'disgusting and grossly offensive' ... not to mention a grave health hazard.

Could we get non-smokers to cruise on any other cruise line in the world than HAL? Naw!!

So let me see if I got this straight. Smokers indulge in a disgusting and grossly offensive activity, but you expect the non-smokers to move to another cruise line? That seems highly illogical to me.

Hank

An alternate solution:

Marijuana-Smoking-Helmet-550x352.jpg

LOL

That's about the time I start my "watch/countdown" awaiting the accidental dropping of the cigarette... :rolleyes:

I usually lay on the horn the instant they litter - though I'm pretty sure they're not capable of making the connection.

Tom

Not a gooddea. some might hink that road rage. you'll be the one charged. not the littering smoker.:eek:

Edited by sail7seas

I cannot believe that y'all are still going on and on about this thing...

This won't end until CC pulls the topic.

It will start up again.

KenNMB

Volendam: NYC to Bermuda (1978)

Nieuw Amsterdam Seattle to Alaska (2007)

Noordam: Port Everglades TA to Rome (2014)

Zuiderdam: to Panama (partial) (2015)

Veendam: Port Everglades to Montreal (Spring 2016)

Zuiderdam: Quebec City to Port Everglades (Fall 2016)

WOW!!

I wrote way in the beginning!!sooooo long ago!

We will be on The Eurodam on Oct 9th out of Vencie and this will

Be the 5th time with HAL.

Come on, I so do understand the smoking issue, my own mother died at age 59 from LUNG CANCER!!! I am a daughter of a terrible situation where at age 36 I lost my mother to LUNG CANCER!!!!! Things are not changing fast enough and I am still sailing and so far have been very lucky on our 10 cruises so far!

What I am trying to say is get over it!!! I am remembering my mothers 26 Th anniversary of her death and this thread will not end ! I understand people! I understand a lot! My own mother never was able to see her own grand daughter grow up to be in my footsteps as a DDS!!!! I just retired young and healthy!

I am sorry to get upset on our CC board, but nothing is going to change with HAL so far so go with it!!!!

We will be doing our World Cruise with Oceana and schedule with Ocean Viking also!!! Now we are doing the Med in Oct. so even if we have neighbors who smoke LIFE for us is sooooo short! My own mother was not even at my own Graduation from college when I went into Denistry! I am blessed with good health and our daughter is in my footsteps!!!!

Sorry today as it always is on this day a sad one for me remembering my mom who died sooooooooo young!

Happy sailings to all!

Thank you for letting me vent👍🤗

Denise:)

... My own mother was not even at my own Graduation from college when I went into Denistry! I am blessed with good health and our daughter is in my footsteps!!!!

Nor was mine sadly, as she died of CHF (heavy smoker) a few months before I was accepted at UF. On a brighter note, my father never smoked, and is now 94 !

Interestingly enough, my oldest son is taking the DAT this coming week, and his brother is taking it next year.

Congrats on the early retirement. Since I did not start practicing until 39, that's not in the cards for me... besides, I need to WORK so I can CRUISE! :D

Tom

Edited by Tom-n-Cheryl

Congrats Tom to both your sons taking DAT!!!!! I would be sooooo proud too!!!!

I am so blessed with retiring early and it worked out perfect for me!!

I had a thriving practice and enjoyed lecturing at colleges and Dental conventions, and decided with all of our travels that we loved travels and cruising more!

Believe it or not I have a cleaning at my office in 2 weeks! LOL!

On a different note:

I appreciate your acknowledgement on my soooo long sad CC blog on my mother! It hit me hard. But like you my dad of all people is still alive and a good age of 92!

So enjoy your crusing Tom and your wife Cheryl!!!!

Remember we only go around once in this life and for me I will be the best I can and as I always do the back!

Thank you again on this Father's Day !

Happy Fathers Day to you ! We are kicking back with Mango Margaritas and enjoy the ocean at our home!

God Bless!

Denise:)

• 2 weeks later...
Unquestionably. There is no "safe" level of tobacco smoke, first or second hand.

There is no "safe" level of living either, if we want to go to this extreme. Don't walk down the street near running vehicles, because that's not safe. Don't live anywhere near anything that emits harmful vapours into the air, because that's not safe. Don't breathe in at all, because that's not safe. It's really not, in this world we live in. But this world isn't SAFE, people. Of course CONSTANTLY breathing any smoke or noxious vapour isn't good for a person, but can we just agree that the small amount that you might breathe in on a cruise isn't going to kill you? Or that the exhaust from a cruise ship isn't going to kill you? Living in a city breathing the pollution is harmful, breathing any fumes of any kind is harmful to a degree. And it's all not good for us. Smoking is not good for a person. Neither is drinking alcohol, eating too much, living a sedentary lifestyle, etc. But I believe what's REALLY not good for us is the constant focus on things like this, breathing a few days of occasional cigarette smoke in the air on a cruise ship and how it's harming you. Maybe it would be better to just admit that's it's the ANNOYANCE of having to smell the cigarette smoke. You can't really believe it's going to harm you in that amount. Just so tired of all the exaggeration on here.

I don't know of any cruise lines that are 100% non-smoking except for the American Cruise Lines riverboats which cannot be even closely compared to an ocean-going vessel. They have neither the fleet size nor international draw of any mainstream ocean-going line. I personally would likely never sail with them anyways as their itineraries are of no interest to me and I would not wish to sail on a ship that did not allow people to smoke outdoors at all. Every other line I've ever researched has smoking areas. Celebrity seems to be the most pro-nonsmoking be even they have outdoor areas. Many years ago Carnival tried a 100% smoke-free ship and it did not last very long.

This is a bit of a stretch dear. Smokers are not "forcing" you to smell their smoke as in your tripe or feather-brushing analogies. If you were standing on your balcony naked or blasting music, I could move as to not witness it; much in the same way a non-smoker could move if they don't want to smell smoke that is outdoors, not inside your living quarters or an enclosed space. A fairer comparison would be to perfume as smoke and perfumes are both scents that some people don't like to smell. When smelled outdoors, in open air, at a distance of several yards, they are very much the same: distasteful and annoying to some but certainly not any proven health hazard.

I will reiterate what I stated above [which was echoed by several other members]. There are currently only 3 major lines that still allow balcony smoking. One luxury [seabourn], one premium [HAL] and one mainstream [Costa]. All of the others have banned it leaving non-smokers a plethora of other options. There is also the option of not choosing a balcony stateroom on the lines that allow smoking.

You rock!

• 2 weeks later...