This Thread Is To Be Used For All Discussions About HAL's On Board Smoking Policies

Host Walt

So, our last trip in a Neptune Suite, the guy next to us smoked cigars all day long and never left the ship. It was disgusting and intrusive to no end. I will not tolerate that again period. I like very loud music. I like talking very loud.

As an Aussie the sad thing is, it doesn't seem to discourage smokers but it makes the sight of smoking and those packets even more disturbing for us non smokers!

Smokers in Australia started purchasing nice containers to put their packets in but then these were banned. The latest is talk of doubling the taxes over the next 5 years and sending the price above $40 a packet! I thought it was expensive when they hit $3 ... Phew am I glad I quit!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Right now they're $20+/pack???:eek: Wow! In 2012 my husband and I were in Whistler, Canada before an Alaska cruise. We were in the grocery store in town, and the man in front of us at the check out counter purchase a packet of cigarettes and they were over $13. I remember thinking that if I smoked I wouldn't be able to afford to eat or cruise, so I can't imagine people paying $20. If they smoke a pack a day that's $7,300 a year!:eek:

Edited by Cindy

sorry if this has been discussed already in this thread; way too long to read through all 100+ pages

My question is, if you have a veranda on the aft of the ship, it seems like you would be less impacted by cigarette smoke as you wouldn't get it blown back from rooms next to you? Or am I just hoping/dreaming?

I can't imagine anything that would ruin my cruise faster than having someone next to me smoking constantly so that I can't use my balcony.

e[QUOeT]omn CherylDo ships that operate (home ported) from Australia have different smoking policies? I seem to recall some talk about that... it might have been when Carnival moved a Spirit class ship there a couple of years ago. I think that there was some change in tipping as well.

Along those lines, it sure appears that the Australian government is serious about attempts to discourage smoking... in THIS article from CNN.

Tom [/quote[

Hql shipS ARE rFLqgged in the NETHERANDS.gREAT WHAT THE AUSTRALIAN GOVERNMENT WANTS. tHALHAL shipds asre flagged in ghe Negtherlacorporatrheadquareters are U.S. HAL is not an Australian company company.QUOTE=Aquahound;5021T731]Man, I love the Aussies! :D

Can I get an assist here?? :confused:

A pack of cigs are around $6.95 no where near $20.

###

Edited by PhoenixCruiser

Can I get an assist here?? :confused:

A pack of cigs are around $6.95 no where near $20.

###

They were discussing Australia where they are currently about $20.00 per pack and the government is thinking of raising the price to nearly $40.00 per pack.

Joanie

sorry if this has been discussed already in this thread; way too long to read through all 100+ pages

My question is, if you have a veranda on the aft of the ship, it seems like you would be less impacted by cigarette smoke as you wouldn't get it blown back from rooms next to you? Or am I just hoping/dreaming?

I can't imagine anything that would ruin my cruise faster than having someone next to me smoking constantly so that I can't use my balcony.

You may be more impacted in that location.

The area directly behind a ship (or truck, or car, or train, etc.) is a low pressure area and air either stagnates or is sucked back towards the object. It is referred to as the station wagon effect.

v4n1_co.jpg

DW and I stopped cruising on HAL following a particularly bad experience on a three-week cruise involving inconsiderate smokers. We subsequently discovered aft cabins, which we love for many reason, not the least of which is the lack of second-hand smoke. We now sail regularly on HAL, but only in aft cabins.

The "station wagon effect" mentioned by LMaxwell is subject to very specific aerodynamics, and I've yet to find a cruise ship that suffers from it. I'm not saying that it isn't theoretically possible, just that I've enjoy smoke-free cruise on my aft balconies.

DW and I stopped cruising on HAL following a particularly bad experience on a three-week cruise involving inconsiderate smokers. We subsequently discovered aft cabins, which we love for many reason, not the least of which is the lack of second-hand smoke. We now sail regularly on HAL, but only in aft cabins.

The "station wagon effect" mentioned by LMaxwell is subject to very specific aerodynamics, and I've yet to find a cruise ship that suffers from it. I'm not saying that it isn't theoretically possible, just that I've enjoy smoke-free cruise on my aft balconies.

I agree, never had a problem on an aft balcony but often had problems on a side balcony. However that could be just luck of the draw. Wish me luck for my Koningsdam cruise in January! Bob

DW and I stopped cruising on HAL following a particularly bad experience on a three-week cruise involving inconsiderate smokers.

So were the smokers "inconsiderate" because they were smoking in a non-smoking area or because they were smoking on their balcony, which is allowed?

So were the smokers "inconsiderate" because they were smoking in a non-smoking area or because they were smoking on their balcony, which is allowed?

Irrelevant to our decision to leave HAL for a period of time. "Permitted" and "considerate" are not synonymous terms. Playing the bagpipes on my balcony is permitted but hardly considerate if I do so from dawn to dusk. :)

Thank you both for your replies. We will be on a 21 day cruise to Norway 2017 and we have an aft cabin, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I like them the best anyway for the views!

I hope that you have a wonderful cruise! :)

Don't count on the aft balconies being smoke free. We sailed on HAL with friends who had an aft balcony. The smell of cigarette and cigar smoking was very strong on their balcony.

Yes, but hopefully not as bad as a side cabin.

I will expect the worst and hope for the best so I won't be unhappy. I'm sure it will be fine. It's a cruise after all...

there is no smell on a side balcony when the ship is going at 21 knots. now in port, that's another thing.

There most certainly can be. Now as to whether or not it's as intense or lingers as long, that's another matter.

I can smell smoke, as can many non smokers I'd assume, from someone in a parking lot several cars away - providing the wind is favorable.

Tom

there is no smell on a side balcony when the ship is going at 21 knots. now in port, that's another thing.

You could not be any more wrong.

How about you are both wrong ! :p

When the ship is sailing , the smoke would have to be from the balcony or balconies directly in front of yours to be smelt . So yes smoke can be an issue but less so then when in port . In port you can smell smoke from a far away source .

There is no smell when the ship is going 21 knots? Hardly!

Balconies have partitions that block the wind, so it does not matter how fast the ship sails. The stench from cigarette or cigar smoke does not whisp away in the wind. It lingers in the balconies and because of the partitions, it makes no difference if the smoker is forward or aft of you.

The visible smoke might dissipate quickly, but the stench does not.

If a moving ship caused the stench to whisp away from neighboring balconies, this topic wouldn't be nearly as debated.

Edited by Aquahound

There is no smell when the ship is going 21 knots? Hardly!

Balconies have partitions that block the wind, so it does not matter how fast the ship sails. The stench from cigarette or cigar smoke does not whisp away in the wind. It lingers in the balconies and because of the partitions, it makes no difference if the smoker is forward or aft of you.

The visible smoke might dissipate quickly, but the stench does not.

If a moving ship caused the stench to whisp away from neighboring balconies, this topic wouldn't be nearly as debated.

You are so correct. Strange how the perception gets around that when sitting on ones balcony while sailing at 21 knots guests are enduring a gale. Only time I have had meaningful wind into our balconies was when we were sailing when the wind was abeam. The myth has been discussed a number of times on this thread. However, on our last cruise we had a different balcony, one facing forward. It was a very large balcony and I expected that the door would be locked while underway. Nope. Instead I was really surprised that even over 20 knots the wind would run up the front bulkhead and not enter the balcony area. I spent time out there every day of the two week cruise; if I had any hair on my head it wouldn't have been messed up.