My opinion and yours: Carnival vs. Royal

kwazi07

Feel free to share your own opinions on these topics. I recently went on my first Royal Caribbean cruise.

Ships: I have to say, I love the whale tail. However, Royals ships are more sleek and less boxy. The insides are much nicer on Royal, excluding the interiors of Sunshine and Breeze. Carnival 0 Royal 1

Rooms: The rooms on Royals Vision class are much better than the Fantasy class, which were built around the same time. However in Carnival's newer ships the rooms are roomier but the decor in the Royals rooms is nicer. A tie.

Carnival 1 Royal 2

MDR: The food on Carnival is a 10. On Royal a 7. Carnival food blew me away, Royals was food but not great.

Carnival 2 Royal 2

Buffet: ROYAL ROYAL ROYAL. The food was better. The desserts were much better as well.

Carnival 2 Royal 3

Specialty dining: We didn't do it on either but they have similar variety.

Carnival 3 Royal 4

Pools: This is a tough one. Royals pools are much bigger and better designed but Carnival has those great slides. Hopefully Oasis 3 and 4 will have slides like Carnival.

Carnival 4 Royal 5

Activities: Royal wins here. We had tons of fun doing trivia. There seems to be more enrichment activities on Royal, which we loved.

Carnival 4 Royal 6

Service: Both have great service.

Carnival 5 Royal 7

Nightlife: Carnival had the better disco (Royal has the Viking Crown Lounge :rolleyes: ) but Royal had fun parties, such as the silent party (headphones with different music) the 70s Disco Inferno Night in the atrium and the white party. Tie.

Carnival 6 Royal 8

Entertainment: Royal blew Carnival out of the water. The comedians were good on Carnival but they were hilarious on Royal. I really enjoyed the impressionist on my cruise. Also, our CD on Royal was hilarious. For those of you who lurk on the Royal boards, it was Marc!!! I loved him, he was very funny. The production shows were OK on both, more Broadway on Royal and Vegas on Carnival. I also enjoyed the tons of live music on Royal. All night they had different bands in the atrium. There was a great pianist at the bars. They had a steel drum ONLY band!!!

Carnival 6 Royal 9

So what do you guys think? Respond to each of these categories.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Feel free to share your own opinions on these topics. I recently went on my first Royal Caribbean cruise.

Ships: I have to say, I love the whale tail. However, Royals ships are more sleek and less boxy. The insides are much nicer on Royal, excluding the interiors of Sunshine and Breeze. Carnival 0 Royal 1

Rooms: The rooms on Royals Vision class are much better than the Fantasy class, which were built around the same time. However in Carnival's newer ships the rooms are roomier but the decor in the Royals rooms is nicer. A tie.

Carnival 1 Royal 2

MDR: The food on Carnival is a 10. On Royal a 7. Carnival food blew me away, Royals was food but not great.

Carnival 2 Royal 2

Buffet: ROYAL ROYAL ROYAL. The food was better. The desserts were much better as well.

Carnival 2 Royal 3

Carnival 3 Royal 4

Pools: This is a tough one. Royals pools are much bigger and better designed but Carnival has those great slides. Hopefully Oasis 3 and 4 will have slides like Carnival.

Carnival 4 Royal 5

Activities: Royal wins here. We had tons of fun doing trivia. There seems to be more enrichment activities on Royal, which we loved.

Carnival 4 Royal 6

Carnival 5 Royal 7

Nightlife: Carnival had the better disco (Royal has the Viking Crown Lounge :rolleyes: ) but Royal had fun parties, such as the silent party (headphones with different music) the 70s Disco Inferno Night in the atrium and the white party. Tie.

Carnival 6 Royal 8

Entertainment: Royal blew Carnival out of the water. The comedians were good on Carnival but they were hilarious on Royal. I really enjoyed the impressionist on my cruise. Also, our CD on Royal was hilarious. For those of you who lurk on the Royal boards, it was Marc!!! I loved him, he was very funny. The production shows were OK on both, more Broadway on Royal and Vegas on Carnival. I also enjoyed the tons of live music on Royal. All night they had different bands in the atrium. There was a great pianist at the bars. They had a steel drum ONLY band!!!

Carnival 6 Royal 9

I generally agree with your points.

But a comparison between a fantasy and a vision class ship, there isnt one. But Enchantment was stretched to increase tonnage to over 80,000 so it is unique amongst the vision class.

With that said, try a comparison between a Conquest and a Voyager class. They are similarity sized even if the Voyager ships are older than Conquest.

Please choose a RC ship with flowrider before suggesting that RC needs slides. Navigator or Freedom of the Seas would be good choices.:D

I like both pretty equally but Carnival has me as platinum. Those little perks and pricing pushes me in Carnival's direction.

Monarch of the Seas was my Royal ship comparable to fantasy. Royal more classic look. Better looking night clubs. Great CD's. Buffet was outstanding.

Fantasy is more casual. Comfortable and easy to navigate. Love serenity. MDR is wonderful and buffet is descent.

Great comparison post.

We sorta agree maybe 80% with OP.

Our observation, based on last summer's Royal's Allure & last month's Royal's Liberty, vs lots of Carnival ships up to Conquest earlier this yr (will be on Magic next wk):

Ships: Love Royal's new & larger ships. Carnival 0 Royal 1

Rooms: Both equal. Carnival's larger. Carnival 1 Royal 1

MDR: Both food & service are equal. Carnival 2 Royal 2

Buffet: Both equal. Carnival 3 Royal 3

Pools: Carnival has those great slides. But Royal has FlowRider. Tie Carnival 4 Royal 4

Activities: We were spoiled by Royal's larger ship's offerings: Rock Climbing wall, skating rink, zip line, etc... Carnival 4 Royal 5

Carnival 5 Royal 6

Entertainment: Royal slighly better. Carnival 6 Royal 8

Loyalty Level: We're Platinum on both. Carnival's Platinum perks much better. Carnival 7 Royal 8

Price: Carnival usually better deal for us. Carnival 8 Royal 8

Kids: Our kids grew up on Camp Carnival. They both love Carnival better.

Final: Carnival 9 Royal 8

Based on the # of cruises we've taken, we prefer Carnival much better...

Ship: Sailed on Freedom of the Seas. Royal Promenade beats CCL hands down.

Cabin: We had a Grand Suite. Even with CCL suite (had one on Fantasy)- BUT RCL wins cause of the Concierge Lounge access with free drinks/munchies each night.

MDR: CCL wins hands down. Found the food in the dr on Royal terrible.

Buffet: Royal wins - but maybe because many of the choices were new to us??

Pools: Slides on CCL win, as FOS had none. However, pools were nicer on RCL.

Activities: Never used rockwall, flowrider or skating. Other activities equal.

Service: Tie

Entertainment: Royal - no contest. Again, maybe because we have seen the

same shows over and over and over again on Carnival.

Loyalty level: Platinum on CCL - can't compare fairly.

Price: CCL wins waaay over Royal. We paid thru the nose compared to same

cruise we could have taken on Carnival same time period.

All in all, we prefer CCL over Royal, but NCL is slowly creeping up on CCL!!

For us, the only thing we liked about our one RC cruise was the balcony doors were sliding instead of hinged.

Half way through the one show we went to, the sound system failed and they canceled the show. Had to get tickets if you wanted to see the ice show.

If I want to see wood paneling, I can go to the K of C hall here in town. We like the glitz of Carnival which we don't see that often.

The crew was ten times more friendly on Carnival than Royal. Cabin steward wasn't friendly at all. Always complaining and never showed up twice to make up the cabin. Excuse was that he was short handed.

We aren't foodies so if anything Carnival gets that one because they had more food that was recognizable to us.

Health and Beauty section of stores on Royal was minimal whereas Carnival's is much larger.

For us, Carnival suits us much more than Royal.

Oh... Just remembered.

Kids club...my sister liked it a lot more in Royal, but the teen club on Carnival was better.

Price... In general Carnival is cheaper but on certain cruises Royal is cheaper and a better value. For 1 inside room on Sunshine I can get one inside and one OV on Freedom of the Seas.

And whoops I forgot about the flowrider...I would rather have the slides. But I would rather have the zip line than slides.

For us, the only thing we liked about our one RC cruise was the balcony doors were sliding instead of hinged.

Yeah, on Paradise the balcony was much smaller as well.

Half way through the one show we went to, the sound system failed and they canceled the show. Had to get tickets if you wanted to see the ice show.

The tickets thing seems annoying.

If I want to see wood paneling, I can go to the K of C hall here in town. We like the glitz of Carnival which we don't see that often.

I understand your point but to me Royal is luxurious and Carnival is just gaudy.

The crew was ten times more friendly on Carnival than Royal. Cabin steward wasn't friendly at all. Always complaining and never showed up twice to make up the cabin. Excuse was that he was short handed.

The cabin steward on Royal was MUCH better, but I found our Carnival waiters a smidge better.

We aren't foodies so if anything Carnival gets that one because they had more food that was recognizable to us.

You are right. I could not pronounce about half of the names on the Royal menu. I'm not a foodie either but I found the lighter food on Carnival (like black bean enchiladas and grilled tofu) better than Royal, but Royals *richer* dishes are better than Carnivals (pork tenderloin wrapped with priccuto and sage served with scalloped potatoes all in a truffle reduction sauce...me likey!!!)

Health and Beauty section of stores on Royal was minimal whereas Carnival's is much larger.

For us, Carnival suits us much more than Royal.

You brought up some points I didn't remember and my responses are above.

Carnival 1 Royal 2

Carnival 2 Royal 2

Carnival 2 Royal 3

Carnival 3 Royal 4

Carnival 4 Royal 5

Carnival 4 Royal 6

Carnival 5 Royal 7

Carnival 6 Royal 8

Carnival 6 Royal 9

The difference is narrowing day by day. Both are now targeting the new demographic, both are nickel and diming, and both could soon be all inclusive. For those wishing a cruise with an active casual dress code, either will do, but let the final word be with your pocket. As this will be the deciding difference.

All inclusive! One can hear the RCI P's whinges already.

Carnival 1 Royal 2

Carnival 4 Royal 5

Carnival 4 Royal 6

Carnival 6 Royal 8

I just picked these because it shows you obviously came here to tell us RC is better since you leave out carnival ships like breeze and sunshine in order to give RC points for interior, but then added RC ships with slides to get RC a point there....

Perhaps just reading your sig is enough to know you are "loyal to royal" which makes me wonder why you brought the biased view here instead of the RC board?

Ships-royal has beautiful ships inside and out, but I don't like the promenade area (I know, but I don't like feeling I'm at my local mall) and I like that carnival has windows in their atriums. I love the atrium, gives me a wow factor when I board

Rooms-carnivals felt larger to me and definitely had more closet space, royals bathrooms in the cabin were prettier lol, but hate the shower door

Mdr-carnival hands down. Even my mom was disappointed with rcls Mdr food

Buffet-still like carnivals better. Royal had better fries, but didnt like they a hamburgers under a heat lamp

Specialty dining-cant compare, never did on either line

Pools-although royals were bigger, I'm still a kid at heart and love my waterslides. One pool on the freedom of the seas felt warm and nice (which was very crowded) the other one was FREEZING, I don't know what was going on there. Watching the flo-rider was funny.

Activities -carnival wins this one for me. I'm not one for rock climbing or skating and carnival seemed to have more trivias

Service-carnival. I like that they address you by name and not "lady". Our service in the dining room on freedom of the seas was awful. Except for one night, didn't see a dessert I like, so our waiter said he would surprise me. He brought me a brownie with ice cream and whip cream. He definitely went above and beyond

Nightlife-cant say, I'm usually in the room early lol

Entertainment-IMO, carnival. The ice shows on royal are good, their stage shows FOR ME were kind of boring. I like carnivals more. We never had comedians on royal

Carnival suits me better. Price, service, everything.

better since you leave out carnival ships like breeze and sunshine in order to give RC points for interior,

I didn't mean to be interpreted that way. To me, all of Carnivals ships besides Breeze and Sunshine are gaudy as heck. I actually think Breeze and Sunshine's decor is better than all of Royals ships.

but then added RC ships with slides to get RC a point there....

Royal didn't get the point for the slides. They got it for better and larger pools. Carnival also got the point for the slides. I was just hoping that Oasis 3 and 4 will have slides, as that is something I really missed on Royal

Perhaps just reading your sig is enough to know you are "loyal to royal" which makes me wonder why you brought the biased view here instead of the RC board?

While I am loyal to Royal, I am not biased. The definition of biased in the dictionary is unfairly prejudiced for or against someone or something. I was fair towards Carnival. Also, I posted this on the Royal boards to see what respond I got there as well. It is just that Carnival has a different product than Royal, and I prefer some aspects of Royal more.

See responses above.

Ships: Royal

Rooms: carnivals are larger in side, but I like the shower doors on royal

MDR: Carnival

Buffet: royal

Specialty dining: Royal

Pools: Royal

Activities: Royal

Nightlife: unable to rate... I am in bed early

Entertainment: Royal hands down, no comparison

price: carnival

Edited by dwaterhouse

Close your eyes and for the most part you can't tell the difference.

IMHO, that's about the only way to think that they are not different: with your eyes closed! :o

I think that the differences between Royal and Carnival are HUGE, but I do care about the things that do set these two cruise lines apart.

I do agree that both deliver the basics well. They give you a place to sleep, they feed you, and they take you places. But when you look at things more closely, like ship design, size, layout and decor, past guest program, children's program (more specifically for those under 2), entertainment options and professionalism, number of dining alternatives, selection of stateroom categories, suite perks, regions of the world they sail to, healthy alternatives, focus of onboard activities, live pool deck entertainment, in-stateroom menus, and attention to detail, then the differences are much more noticeable.

We start noticing the differences from the moment that we arrive at the port. For us, they are THAT noticeable. Even when we've taken short Bahamas cruises on their older ships (where these two cruise lines may be more similar), we were wowed at how different the experience can be.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

I find this interesting as I have often wondered about sailing with NCL/Royal.

When I read reviews and go on Royal's website I am always attracted to the amount of activities on board and the fact the food seems to have more ethic choices. I like the thought of bigger pools as well.

Really do not like the price or the size of the cabins though and the issue you have to prepay tips do dine anytime really bugs me.

Maybe one day I will try them but I have a feeling its going to be NCL first.

My friend just got back from a Brilliance of the Seas Iceland cruise and she loves Royal and shes booked on her again for a Baltic cruise. She only wants to sail out of the UK for the moment though so Carnival is out. Thing is shes paying double for her cruise compared to my Baltic one with Carnival last year....

IMHO, that's about the only way to think that they are not different: with your eyes closed! :o

I think that the differences between Royal and Carnival are HUGE, but I do care about the things that do set these two cruise lines apart.

I do agree that both deliver the basics well. They give you a place to sleep, they feed you, and they take you places. But when you look at things more closely, like ship design, size, layout and decor, past guest program, children's program (more specifically for those under 2), entertainment options and professionalism, number of dining alternatives, selection of stateroom categories, suite perks, regions of the world they sail to, healthy alternatives, focus of onboard activities, live pool deck entertainment, in-stateroom menus, and attention to detail, then the differences are much more noticeable.

We start noticing the differences from the moment that we arrive at the port. For us, they are THAT noticeable. Even when we've taken short Bahamas cruises on their older ships (where these two cruise lines may be more similar), we were wowed at how different the experience can be.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You HIT the nail on it's head again. For me the differences are HUGE as well, and I have been on 11 Carnival cruises and 12 Royal Caribbean cruises in the last 7 years. Royal Caribbean wins hands down in (almost) every aspect! as simple as that. Let's put it this way, you get what you pay for.

Edited by Topo Gigio

Ships: Royal Carnival 0 Royal 1

Rooms: Carnival Carnival 1 Royal 1

MDR: Carnival Carnival 2 Royal 1

Buffet: Royal Carnival 2 Royal 2

Specialty dining: Carnival Carnival 3 Royal 2

Pools: Royal Carnival 3 Royal 3

Activities: Royal Carnival 3 Royal 4

Service: Both Carnival 4 Royal 5

Nightlife: Carnival Carnival 5 Royal 5

Entertainment: Royal Carnival 5 Royal 6

Value: Carnival Carnival 6 Royal 6

I really like both line's It come's down to cost and iten for us.

Loyalty Level: We're Platinum on both. Carnival's Platinum perks much better. Carnival 7 Royal 8

How is that comparison possible? The only reasonable comparison would be Carnival Platinum to Royal Caribbean Diamond. Carnival's Platinum requires 75 days, whereas Royal's Platinum requires a mere 30 points. You can't compare Royal's Diamond at 80 nights to Carnival's Diamond at 200 nights, which can be compared to Royal's Diamond Plus at 175. It's the same thing as comparing HHonors Gold at 20 stays, 40 nights or 75,000 base points to SPG Gold at 10 stays or 25 nights.

Benefits that you receive at 30 nights should not equate to those at 75 nights. You can't compare perks from a similarly named tier if the qualification requirements aren't anywhere near being similar to each other.

Carnival 1 Royal 2

Carnival 2 Royal 2

Carnival 2 Royal 3

Carnival 3 Royal 4

Carnival 4 Royal 5

Carnival 4 Royal 6

Carnival 5 Royal 7

Carnival 6 Royal 8

Carnival 6 Royal 9

I agree Except for MDR the Lunch Salad Bar on RCCL is BRILLIANT on Carnival the Brunch with limited Luncheon choices I am hoping to reach Diamond on NCCL by march

about the Perks I like their Diamond perks better than the CCL diamond Perks which i get now

The only reasonable comparison would be Carnival Platinum to Royal Caribbean Diamond. .

That is where Royal blows away Carnival.... Loyaty perks

with Balcony discount and 3 free hours of cocktails everynight

Our overall cruise price is almost always lower than Carnival

I didn't mean to be interpreted that way. To me, all of Carnivals ships besides Breeze and Sunshine are gaudy as heck. I actually think Breeze and Sunshine's decor is better than all of Royals ships.

See responses above.

This might work, but you gave RC a point for the ships then then threw in Sunshine and Breeze for decor, but passed the point to RC on the basis that RC ships were sleek and Carnival boxy.

The next point was for rooms which ended in a tie size vs decor, so carnival got knocked twice for interior...

On a side note, Allure looks like it was designed by scion designers... a floating shoe box...

This might work, but you gave RC a point for the ships then then threw in Sunshine and Breeze for decor, but passed the point to RC on the basis that RC ships were sleek and Carnival boxy.

The next point was for rooms which ended in a tie size vs decor, so carnival got knocked twice for interior...

On a side note, Allure looks like it was designed by scion designers... a floating shoe box...

Yeah I overall royals interiors are better, exception for Breeze and Sunshine. Why would I give a point to a lone that has 2 ships with nice decor vs 22? And yeah allure and oasis are pretty ugly, especially that stern :eek: Radiance class is pretty though.