Aaaaand I don't think I can take this ship seriously anymore

I think an animal a bit more nautical themed would have been more appropriate. I appreciate art comes in all flavors, sizes, and shapes, but this is kind of tacky in my opinion.

Now that Viking Crown Lounges are gone for the first time ever is RCI's "signature" going to be this "cheez"?

It's a floating amusement park. Not a cruise ship of the past. For better and for worse. And yes, I would very much like to sail on the ship still.

I'm way more disappointed in the lack of a VCL than the bear. They can put lions, tigers AND bears up top for all I care; so long as the menagerie flanks a VCL.

No VCL= not a real RCI ship IMO. It's a Royal Caribbean institution and fan favorite that should have never even been considered for elimination. I guess we'd better cherish our Schooner Bars while we've got them, apparently nothing is sacred.

I'm way more disappointed in the lack of a VCL than the bear. They can put lions, tigers AND bears up top for all I care; so long as the menagerie flanks a VCL.

No VCL= not a real RCI ship IMO. It's a Royal Caribbean institution and fan favorite that should have never even been considered for elimination. I guess we'd better cherish our Schooner Bars while we've got them, apparently nothing is sacred.

I hate the loss of VCL. The only reason its not bothering me that much is because I feel like it was replaced with Two70, which I think will be an amazing space.

Btw, there is supposed to be a Schooner Bar on Quantum from what I've read.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

The reality is that it's not a real RCI ship. It's a repurposed Celebrity Solstice class ship, and those don't have VCL's. At least they eliminated the grass;)

The reality is that it's not a real RCI ship. It's a repurposed Celebrity Solstice class ship, and those don't have VCL's. At least they eliminated the grass;)

That's an interesting theory you made up there. It is completely false, but interesting nonetheless.

Royal Caribbean's Radiance class and Celebrity's Millennium class are much more based on the same design than Solstice and Quantum are, yet each class of ship manages to be unique and representative of its brand. Radiance has a Viking Crown, Millennium does not.

Royal Caribbean could have put a Viking Crown on Quantum, but chose not to. The decided that having more indoor recreation space (the giant Seaplex and the first indoor all-ages pool) was a better use of top deck space and weight.

That's an interesting theory you made up there. It is completely false, but interesting nonetheless.

Royal Caribbean's Radiance class and Celebrity's Millennium class are much more based on the same design than Solstice and Quantum are, yet each class of ship manages to be unique and representative of its brand. Radiance has a Viking Crown, Millennium does not.

Royal Caribbean could have put a Viking Crown on Quantum, but chose not to. The decided that having more indoor recreation space (the giant Seaplex and the first indoor all-ages pool) was a better use of top deck space and weight.

Just overlay the deck plans, or compare pictures side-by-side, and you'll see why I made the statement I made. You may not want to accept it, but Quantum class and Solstice class are step-sisters.

You are, however, absolutely correct in your assumption on weight distribution. A VCL in addition to the crane would have made the ship too top heavy.

Edited by orville99

I don't think Royal necessarily wanted to eliminate Viking Crown, but there just wasn't enough room. They probably thought Two70 was a good replacement. To fit all the innovations that they wanted, it probably just wasn't possible and may have even made the top deck look like too much was going on. I don't think Royal wants to give up the VCL, it looks to still be on Oasis III.

About it relating to the S class ships, I feel like a lot of the new builds (NCL Breakaway/Getaway, TUI Mein Schiff 3, Royal/Regal Princess) have the same similar design with the hull being wider then the balconies and what not, not just the Quantum and Solstice Classes.

Edit: I can totally understand why you are saying that it is a repurposed Solstice ship.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

WOW its the wrong colour or color its not appropriate why is it there I don't understand it ???? To be honest I cant bear it :rolleyes::eek: but its the first passenger on the ship perhaps he can let us know the deck plans:D

I love the Solstice design….and if the Quantum has similarities to it, so be it. Hopefully the interior of the Quantum will be as striking (or even more so) as the Solstice.

Seeing the photos of the Quantum being floated out made me even more excited as well as pleased the we booked a B2B on her for December.

As far as the bright bear, I like it!!

Just overlay the deck plans, or compare pictures side-by-side, and you'll see why I made the statement I made. You may not want to accept it, but Quantum class and Solstice class are step-sisters.

You are, however, absolutely correct in your assumption on weight distribution. A VCL in addition to the crane would have made the ship too top heavy.

Oh Lord, take my eyes but not the crane! :D

I also feel that the Solstice and Quantum classes are likely just tweaks of a common design. It's far from uncommon in the industry.

Carnival Corp has been doing it for years with Fincantieri and Kvaerner/STX. Many CCL, Costa, HAL, Princess and Cunard ships share very similar designs, with only minor revisions for the sake of brand identity and passenger preferences.

I love the Solstice design….and if the Quantum has similarities to it, so be it. Hopefully the interior of the Quantum will be as striking (or even more so) as the Solstice.

Seeing the photos of the Quantum being floated out made me even more excited as well as pleased the we booked a B2B on her for December.

As far as the bright bear, I like it!!

I agree. I love the Solstice class but there is enough changes to make the QN class their own. Carnival Cruise Lines just use the same design over and over it ain't. :)

The VCL on the two Oasis class ships are very under used. We always booked loft suites and would stop by or look in during the evenings when coming and going from the stateroom and it was usually empty.

Edited by cruisingator2

BTW he is not the first bear to make his way to the deck of a cruise ship. Attached is a pic I took of CELEBRITY CONSTELLATION in Turkey.

I was next door on the QUEEN ELIZABETH at the time. Anyway the bear on CONSTELLATION is carrying a fish, and of course he is not bright pink! LOL

10697382816_266fb0f7c3_c.jpg

It's a known fact that the Quantum, Solstice, and Mein Schiff classes use the same platform; the Quantum of course being a stretched and widened.

BTW he is not the first bear to make his way to the deck of a cruise ship. Attached is a pic I took of CELEBRITY CONSTELLATION in Turkey.

I was next door on the QUEEN ELIZABETH at the time. Anyway the bear on CONSTELLATION is carrying a fish, and of course he is not bright pink! LOL

One of the HAL ships also has bears next to one of their pools.

Uh, isn't that a gorilla? ;)

I strongly agree with you. Could just be a new NCL build really. I always felt the Oasis/Allure VCL were tainted only facing one way and underutilized for events. Why do they stick Diamond overflow in the Bilge, I mean Blaze? VCL would be ne plus ultra of solutions at least on those ships; and on some of the smaller ships they are over-stuffed and sectioned into restaurants. One of the best VCL's is on Majesty. If not for the rock climbing wall blocking the rear view there it would provide the most panoramic ocean views of probably ANY lounge on ANY ship. 270? How about 360.

I like my Schooner Bars with outward looking views too!

I strongly agree with you. Could just be a new NCL build really. I always felt the Oasis/Allure VCL were tainted only facing one way and underutilized for events. Why do they stick Diamond overflow in the Bilge, I mean Blaze? VCL would be ne plus ultra of solutions at least on those ships; and on some of the smaller ships they are over-stuffed and sectioned into restaurants. One of the best VCL's is on Majesty. If not for the rock climbing wall blocking the rear view there it would provide the most panoramic ocean views of probably ANY lounge on ANY ship. 270? How about 360.

I like my Schooner Bars with outward looking views too!

I wondered the exact same thing when I was on Allure. The VCL on those ships is absolutely gorgeous with the Van Gogh inspired decor. Such a better place for gathering than the Blaze.

And I totally agree, the Sovereign Class VCL has the best views. I really hope these Quantum Class ships are the exceptions and not the new rules in that regard. That 270 looks nice enough, but a VCL it ain't!

One of the HAL ships also has bears next to one of their pools.

Zuiderdam. And it's big but it's not 30ft tall AND magenta AND possibly visible from space.

ImageUploadedByForums1407997153.630802.jpg.66e01d73b87626703d08a3d8efbae155.jpg

Amsterdam too, but, different kind of bear.

ImageUploadedByForums1407997245.266315.jpg.7f2556e745f9cae2898fa85396c4f5d6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's a known fact that the Quantum, Solstice, and Mein Schiff classes use the same platform; the Quantum of course being a stretched and widened.

I never said Quantum and Solstice weren't based on the same general design. I said the fact that they were is not the reason Quantum class doesn't have a Viking Crown Lounge.

orville99's statement was:

"it's not a real RCI ship. It's a repurposed Celebrity Solstice class ship, and those don't have VCL's."

The fact is Quantum isn't just a Celebrity design with a few crown and anchors slapped on the side. It may use the same basic platform design, but it has certainly been "Royal-fied". They could have put a Viking Crown on it if they wanted to. Nothing about it being a shared platform would have precluded them from adding a Viking Crown Lounge. They just decided a better use of top deck space and weight limits was to be spend them on innovative features like Seaplex, Northstar, iFly, and an indoor poor.

Along those lines, I'm surprised it wasn't a Dreamworks Character considering the corporate tie-ins. Dreamworks would probably have paid for it.

I'd hate to see what this board would look like if it had been. With the way people are freaking out over a piece of art, they would be burning down Miami over a children's character up there.

It is actually a Gorilla!

We were told while on the ship that it was a tongue in cheek reference to King Kong. Both Celebrity and RCCL ships used to sail out of NYC long before Bayonne was ever built.

Notice the color matches the Statue of Liberty. :D

MARAPRINCE