Would you book a connecting room

mcatmcat

I was wondering what is your opinion on a connecting room. I'm tempted to switch stateroom to a connecting stateroom due to the location but I was wondering what is your past experience in a connecting room

Thank you

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We had connecting cabins on our last cruise (both cabins occupied by my family members). Believe me, even with the door closed, you can still hear a lot of noise, specially since we had two small children who turned the other cabin in their playground.

Had I not known the people in the other cabin, I would've been pretty upset. I put up with the noise, but only because they were my kids. :o

Edited by Tapi

I booked one once based on advice I received here stating it was no big deal.

Our TV was set up across from the adjoining door. When sitting in the armchair right in front of the door I could hear actual conversations from the other cabin.

We never heard them from any other angle. Only when I was sitting in that armchair was it an issue.

Personally, I would pay an extra $10/night to avoid one.

Try to avoid booking a connecting room, but have done it a couple of times. Once we had some noisy neighbors and once we didn't. Not a huge deal.

What is the difference? I have a connecting room booked and just thought that meant a door was in the room??

What is the difference? I have a connecting room booked and just thought that meant a door was in the room??

We found that we could hear sounds from the connecting room better than when we didn't have a connecting room. In other words, a wall is a better sound insulator than a door.

On our last cruise, we had a connecting stateroom with another couple that we were cruising with. There are two doors - one on each side of the wall that each cabin needs to open to access the other stateroom. It worked out well for us.

In previous cruises, we've had a connecting stateroom, but didn't know the people in the other cabin. We haven't noticed any additional noise. That may have been because our neighbors weren't loud or weren't in their stateroom often. It may have been because we're not in our stateroom often either.

This topic has been discussed in other threads and the opinion is about 50/50 - some people have had a bad experience, others have had an experience like ours.

Edited by cruisePAC

you have me curious now too, since I have a connecting room, with no need for it booked for the Oasis this November.

Am I going to be sorry that I have this great location balcony room all because it's not a solid wall and it's 2 doors! (it is 2 doors right - like a hotel??)

you have me curious now too, since I have a connecting room, with no need for it booked for the Oasis this November.

Am I going to be sorry that I have this great location balcony room all because it's not a solid wall and it's 2 doors! (it is 2 doors right - like a hotel??)

Our experience is that it's one door, initially locked, and the lock can only be operated by the stateroom attendant.

Personally, I would switch to a worse location to avoid the connecting room.

But cabin location is not very important to me.

Our experience is that it's one door, initially locked, and the lock can only be operated by the stateroom attendant.

Thanks for the clarification Bob!

I'll continue to pray that I don't have 'those' pesky/noisy people next to us!!

And on the Oasis class ships.

never had a bad experience with a connecting room. I think one time I rolled up a towel and put at the bottom between the two doors....but we have never noticed any noise.

Before the new smoking policy, we had neighbors in a connecting on the Grandeur. They smoked and our stateroom smelled horrible, as well as the hall. I vowed to never again have a connecting!

We have also heard passengers in other staterooms without having a connecting door. :rolleyes: The newer ships and staterooms on Celebrity, and I suspect the Oasis class, have thinner walls.

Edited by Iamthesea

I had a connecting room once . . . and one of the 'guests' was hard of hearing. So he yelled everything and the TV was on LOUD! It was so bad - we asked to be moved the very first day. We could hear every word. Plus he was on the grouchy side. He was yelling at his assistant and the room attendant. We were in a room overlooking the Promenade. After checking with our room attendant to verify our concerns- we were moved to a HUMP BALCONY! Never again will I get a connecting cabin unless I knew the people next door and would open the doors.

Edited by crilski

We always look at the ship floor plans to book a non-connecting room (quieter), as well as picking port or starboard side when we know what side the ship frequently docks on.

We get so much great advice here on the boards.

Sea Ya

Have your travel agent get you a list of available rooms that are in your same category--D1, E1 ect. Change staterooms to a nonconnecting cabin. They will do it for no additional charge. Too risky to have connecting. Trust me.