Luggage !

johncandt

Am i right in assuming that after we check in our luggage at the pier it will be delivered to our cabin? i know it takes a while (on our last cruise was about 2 hours) i thought i had read somewhere about a luggage call? or does it just turn up at your cabin whether you are present or not? thank you, what would we all do without these forums !!!!

Your luggage will either be right outside your cabin door or sometimes it will be in your room. This happened on our last cruise on NCL Getaway. We stayed in The Haven so that might be the reason for it being in our cabin. Usually will be delivered in time for muster drill. :)

It is delivered and can take anywhere from one to six hours, unless you have put some forbidden item in the suitcase which is detected by their scanners, then you have to go to the so called naughty room to remove the item. Such things as bottles of liquor, clothes irons and steamers, kettles, knives, guns, etc

Yes, it just shows yo at your door whenever. You don't have to be there to receive it. It probably takes longer than two hours. Usually I drop luggage around 11:30 at the pier and it arrives at the room mid afternoon.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

Yes they will deliver to your cabin. They will leave it outside your door. We have waited any where form 1 hour to 4 for our luggage. If theres anything you think you will need right away i'd pack it in a carry on.

It is delivered and can take anywhere from one to six hours, unless you have put some forbidden item in the suitcase which is detected by their scanners, then you have to go to the so called naughty room to remove the item. Such things as bottles of liquor, clothes irons and steamers, kettles, knives, guns, etc

Last cruise DH was called to the Naughty Room for a cork screw in his luggage, 1st time this happened. I would definitely pack some clothes in your carry on, no set time on when the luggage will arrive especially if you have to retrieve it from the Naughty Room :)

...and craft (knitting) scissors with four-inch snub-nosed blades.

Last cruise DH was called to the Naughty Room for a cork screw in his luggage, 1st time this happened. I would definitely pack some clothes in your carry on, no set time on when the luggage will arrive especially if you have to retrieve it from the Naughty Room :)

I wouldn't pack a cork screw as they are readily available on board. Which, of course, begs the question why won't they allow them in your luggage as they are readily available on board? :confused:

I wouldn't pack a cork screw as they are readily available on board. Which, of course, begs the question why won't they allow them in your luggage as they are readily available on board? :confused:

Because on an x-ray it may look confusing. and take time to determine exactly what it is. So they prohibit them to reduce the number of times they have to more thoroughly screen luggage to save time overall.

Your luggage will either be right outside your cabin door or sometimes it will be in your room. This happened on our last cruise on NCL Getaway. We stayed in The Haven so that might be the reason for it being in our cabin. Usually will be delivered in time for muster drill. :)

My observation is it's left outside the door by porters.

In the event a cabin steward or some other person who is authorized to enter cabins does so after luggage is dropped, they will pull the luggage inside if its there waiting. But they don't automatically pull all luggage inside, just a hit and miss thing based on timing.

Because on an x-ray it may look confusing. and take time to determine exactly what it is. So they prohibit them to reduce the number of times they have to more thoroughly screen luggage to save time overall.

I can't think of anything that looks less confusing on an x-ray than a corkscrew.

Perhaps Curt has worked for homeland security? ;)

Naw, just done a TON of flying, and am an operations guy, who likes to keep things streamlined and pays attention to processes and procedures as I travel.

I can see how when screening that many bags in that short of time would likely be handled by any with anything suspicious gets set aside, to be second screened later once all the primary screening is done.

a 4 inch metal looking thing probably sets off the software algorithm and rather than closely look at the item at that moment in time, it just passes by to be secondary screened.

And from what I read, they don't open bags to look, they wait for people to come and open the bags with the person.

A corkscrew could possibly look like a spring-like heating element in an x-ray screening.

Corkscrews could possibly be considered not allowed as they fall under the "no sharp objects" rule in prohibited items. Perhaps it's the length of the screw that would make then decide to pull or not pull the bag for secondary screening.

Pack anything you are going to want that afternoon in your carryon. Your checked luggage almost always takes longer than two hours. It'll either be left beside your cabin door or inside your cabin. No need to hang out in your cabin waiting for it. :)

LuLu

Agree with Curt.

They probably pull a bag off the line based on first glance suspicions (or a computer program).

If one is packing a 2-Stage Sommelier's Corkscrew then it could very well look on an X-ray like a pocketknife (cause it folds over itself).

And by all accounts down in the Naughty Room they hold bags for the Pax to open... And reveal what the item was.

Hence the delay for those people getting their bags.

Otherwise luggage shows up outside one's door a few hours after checking in.

Ours is usually in place when the announcement comes that Cabin's are available.

Lol, but then we are amongst some of the earliest at the pier & boarded.

On our first cruise on The Solstice our luggage was tucked inside our room (not left in the hallway) I attribute this to the fact we were in Concierge Class in "Suitesville" and or Cabin Attendants just were in the habit of doing so for their Suite Guests.

And as others have said, we too plan our Carry On Items to cover us for several hours and whatever needs might arise to pass the time till our Luggage shows up ... Camera, iPad, Reading Material, Bathing Suit, Sunscreen, Toothbrush & Paste, Change of Clothes.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Maybe the luggage is put inside your cabin if you are in suite (I don't

know that as I have never sailed in a suite) but I do know for all other

cabin categories the luggage is parked outside of your door.

Never had the luggage put inside our room. Always in the hall and more like 4 to 5 hours after we get on. Have always had a corkscrew in my luggage in fact one time I had two and no one said anything.

It's like everything else. I get by with extension cords and power strips. 4 bottles of champagne once...others have items confiscated. Who knows what the trigger is to pull or pass luggage with contraband in it.

It's like everything else. I get by with extension cords and power strips. 4 bottles of champagne once...others have items confiscated. Who knows what the trigger is to pull or pass luggage with contraband in it.

we've read both sides of the story on power strips. Not sure how to handle itvthis time with so many different views on rule changes. Would most likely have it in our carry-on along with all our various chargers (phone, kindle, camera).

Edited by bikn4fn

Hi cle-guy, Just wondering how you wrapped 4 bottles on Champagne ? Not that I would do that :)... I would be worried that they would throw my bag a break the bottles,:eek: I would have a lot of washing to do ,if that happened . maybe I could ask my butler about quick washing ...

Cheers Deb

Hi cle-guy, Just wondering how you wrapped 4 bottles on Champagne ? Not that I would do that :)... I would be worried that they would throw my bag a break the bottles,:eek: I would have a lot of washing to do ,if that happened . maybe I could ask my butler about quick washing ...

Cheers Deb

Just nestled among my clothes in my suitcase. It's not a "hard side" suitcase per se but it has sturdy sides bug the top is just fabric nylon. Tumi black nylon expandable trunk they call it.