Bermuda - 3 days too little time?

cruzers j&n

Hello - we're considering a cruise to Bermuda (on Summit from Bayonne). For those of you who have already been, did you ever feel that you were rushed or shortchanged on time while in Bermuda? We have never been and were concerned that we'd be too rushed seeing everything in only 3 days.

I've been told that Bermuda is small, and that many hotels do not have beach front properties so a cruise is a good option. We tend to enjoy relaxing on the beaches and all of our Caribbean vacations have been at least a week in duration so 3 days seems so short in comparison, especially if the weather isn't all that great once you arrive (considering it IS a beach destination).

What do you think? Thanks in advance for all your replies.:)

I think the Summit is one of the ships that spends the most time in Bermuda. We went 2 years ago and are going again this Sunday. The beaches are beautiful. You can get a 2 or 3 day transportation pass for the buses and ferries. Yes, I guess if you get bad weather you are stuck in one port. Hopefully, that doesn't happen. Also, the Summit is a beautiful ship. Celebrity runs specials for free drink packages, gratuities , on board credit, try to book during one of those specials.

We asked ourselves this same Question when we recently booked our Bermuda Cruise for 2015

I was worried that 3 Days for exploration would be too little. Realistically we were also looking at 5 to 7 day land holidays (fly in)

In all honesty we were convinced primarily by price... Cruising was a better value for us overall (especially given the AI experience that Celebrity caters to)

Mr Sloop who loves Bermuda, has convinced me that Bermuda is small enough to visit, explore, enjoy for 3 days (in fact it is a popular weekend getaway for many people who fly in from the Atlantic Seaboard)

As for being a beach destination...

We will go to the Beach for sure... But we expect more of the focus to be on Golf, Shopping, History, Geography & Sightseeing... Things that set Bermuda apart from other "Caribbean" Destinations for us.

We will also enjoy our days at sea aboard The Summit... Knowing that Celebrity will pamper us.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Bermuda is very expensive if you go with a land vacation. Going on the ship is the best value. They now have a shuttle bus running from where the ship docks to the beach. The place is small and easy to get around. For us three days is plenty but I guess it depends on the person.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

I have been to Bermuda 4 times all on cruises and am going again next month. Every time I have been there it has been for 3 days at a time and it is never long enough. It brings a tear to my eye when we leave every time. There is way too much to see and do to experience it all in three days. But I would go and do how ever much I could and enjoy it because it is a joy to go there for me.:)

I think 3 days in Bermuda is perfect. Remember this is an Island that is only 26 miles long and 2 miles across at its widest point. I have spent a lot of time in Bermuda (because of business) and enjoy it all the time, but I think a week is too much time as it is so small and is expensive if you don't go via cruise.

Hello - we're considering a cruise to Bermuda (on Summit from Bayonne). For those of you who have already been, did you ever feel that you were rushed or shortchanged on time while in Bermuda? We have never been and were concerned that we'd be too rushed seeing everything in only 3 days.

I've been told that Bermuda is small, and that many hotels do not have beach front properties so a cruise is a good option. We tend to enjoy relaxing on the beaches and all of our Caribbean vacations have been at least a week in duration so 3 days seems so short in comparison, especially if the weather isn't all that great once you arrive (considering it IS a beach destination).

What do you think? Thanks in advance for all your replies.:)

Well, if your goal is to see "everything" in Bermuda in three days, then of course that time will be too short. And if you truly like hanging out on an island for a week, and spending a good part of that on the beach, then you might well find three days to be too short. But as others have said, Bermuda is quite expensive to visit on a non-cruise vacation, so you'd need to consider that. Personally, I look at the cruise itself as part of the vacation.

Why not take the cruise; if you like it, you can always go back. :)

We have been to Bermuda a few times on Summitt and love the 3 days.

Riding the bus from Hamilton back to the port is a great way to see lots of the island.

Of course the beaches are wonderful, the shopping is expensive.

got to try Dark and Stormy the local drink.

On Wed. night they have Harbor Lights and you can get a sample of Dark and Stormy from Gosslings.

Also there is a great FREE tour from City Hall on Wed and Thur at 10am from the steps of City Hall, with the town cryier. Free equals a $5.00 per person TIP.

Also the ferry ride to St George is lovely views of the expensive homes

along the waterfront.

We have been to Bermuda a few times on Summitt and love the 3 days.

Riding the bus from Hamilton back to the port is a great way to see lots of the island.

Of course the beaches are wonderful, the shopping is expensive.

got to try Dark and Stormy the local drink.

On Wed. night they have Harbor Lights and you can get a sample of Dark and Stormy from Gosslings.

Also there is a great FREE tour from City Hall on Wed and Thur at 10am from the steps of City Hall, with the town cryier. Free equals a $5.00 per person TIP.

Also the ferry ride to St George is lovely views of the expensive homes

along the waterfront.

Is the free tour a walking tour?

We found that 3 days in Bermuda on our July Summit trip to be just right. We literally saw just about all the island had to offer. The only thing slightly shortchanged was Hamilton, but in retrospect there wasn't a lot more to see beyond the central business district. We did have a guide for a full day tour, geared to our particular interests; and a day at the beach.

It didn't feel rushed and wasn't difficult to get around on both ferry and bus.

I think 3 would be great. When we went, Summit was repositioning to San Juan, so we only got 2. It's truly a beautiful place. You are in for a treat.

We definitely have to go back because we bought two beautiful coffee mugs there and the dog broke one of them. No, she doesn't drink coffee but she did reach up to the patio table and knocked one over. End of mug....nearly end of dog too.

Edited by YVR cruiser

First day we were there we shared a cab with another couple. The cabs are licensed and charged $40/ hour. The drivers have to speak English and I think take a course and pass a test to give the tours. They will take you all around the island to all of the hot spots and sights and give a commentary, history and talk about anything and everything. Make stops for linch, restrooms, and whatever you want. It is usually a minimum of 4 to 5 hours and could be more depending on what you want, or want to do. If you go to the official Bermuda site they will explain more about the drivers, rates, bus and boat schedules and cost. For the 4 of us when breaking down the cost was cheaper than many tours on other islands. I think it ended up being about $60 pp. and was in a nice clean, AC mini van; and not like a nasty public cab.

After doing that you can decide what places you want to revisit or go to.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We loved our three days in Bermuda; but we were docked at the Hamilton City Pier, so we were able to easily explore Hamilton when not doing other tours. Three days worked quite well; but it leaves you wanting more; just like most good things. :)

We loved our three days in Bermuda; but we were docked at the Hamilton City Pier, so we were able to easily explore Hamilton when not doing other tours. Three days worked quite well; but it leaves you wanting more; just like most good things. :)

Celebrity no longer docks in downtown Hamilton as its ships are too large to get into that channel. They are only at the Dockyards.

Loved it when Zenith was in the fleet and docked at both Hamilton and St. Georges.

Three days is just enough to make you want to book your next cruise there the following year. :)

Celebrity no longer docks in downtown Hamilton as its ships are too large to get into that channel. They are only at the Dockyards.

Loved it when Zenith was in the fleet and docked at both Hamilton and St. Georges.

Three days is just enough to make you want to book your next cruise there the following year. :)

I realize that. It was one of the reasons it was such a treat to be able to on the Oceania Regatta.

Thanks for all your feedback! What would I do without CC or Tripadvisor these days?

It seems like many prefer the cruise approach to Bermuda to help manage the expensive prices on land. Would you say they are comparable to other British islands, say Grand Cayman or Turks & Caicos (which I feel are on the higher side in the Caribbean)? I agree that on our 1st trip to Grand Cayman, our eyes bugged out from the grocery prices. :eek: However, after our recent trip to Norway, I think we're officially immune to sticker shock. $8 for a single Snickers bar? Yup!

All in all, it's encouraging to read so many say that 3 days is a good amount of time in Bermuda. While we do enjoy an occassional sea day or two, we prefer more active (port) days on a cruise as we cruise mainly for the destination. I was just surprised that I never came across a "3 days was too short" type of comment in the reviews so good to know you can catch much of the island sightseeing just by taking the shuttle.

Thanks for all your comments and please keep them coming!:)

And at that time you were in Bermuda for four days, miss that and the trip to St George.

Thanks for all your feedback! What would I do without CC or Tripadvisor these days?

It seems like many prefer the cruise approach to Bermuda to help manage the expensive prices on land. Would you say they are comparable to other British islands, say Grand Cayman or Turks & Caicos (which I feel are on the higher side in the Caribbean)? I agree that on our 1st trip to Grand Cayman, our eyes bugged out from the grocery prices. :eek: However, after our recent trip to Norway, I think we're officially immune to sticker shock. $8 for a single Snickers bar? Yup!

All in all, it's encouraging to read so many say that 3 days is a good amount of time in Bermuda. While we do enjoy an occassional sea day or two, we prefer more active (port) days on a cruise as we cruise mainly for the destination. I was just surprised that I never came across a "3 days was too short" type of comment in the reviews so good to know you can catch much of the island sightseeing just by taking the shuttle.

Thanks for all your comments and please keep them coming!:)

If you need to go back for a couple more days in Bermuda there's always the Summit 8 day repo from San Juan to Bayonne with stops at St Maarten, St Thomas, 2 sea days, 2 days Bermuda, sea day and Bayonne. It's 4/25/15

I agree that three days in Bermuda is a good amount of time and will allow you to see most of what the island has to offer. I have been there twice joining my husband on business trips, and each of those was also only a few days. The non-business spouses got together and explored and we had a great time. One time we took one of the local buses to get around and while it was fun and inexpensive, be advised it took quite a long time to get from point A to point B - something to keep in mind.