Falmouth Excursion

Cowcrazy65

This is our first cruise. I did not really see any excursions that I wanted to take with RC in Falmouth. Any other companies that you suggest that are safe to use? What about using a private driver for the day? I am a little worried about being SAFE ( I have seen quite a few comments about safety and people felt unsafe in Jamaica) I wanted to see one of the plantations and some time on one of the Beaches. Suggestions please....THANKS!!!:confu

The RC port area has places to shop and eat-:cool: Margaritaville is located there as well? What is the charge to use their pool? The Red Stripe Beach looks like a good idea for a beach trip. Can we get a ride back before the three hours are up to the port area? Thanks again!

Lisa

Jamaica isn't inherently UNSAFE....it's just that the poor locals will try and get you to buy stuff...they want to make money!

You are quite unlikely to be murdered or abused there....they simply might hassle you! Just say "No"!

You don't HAVE to do anything in any place, if you don't want to! Excursions are not "must dos"!

I have no experience with private tours in Jamaica, but we did an RCI excursion in January to the Bamboo Beach Club. It was very enjoyable. It is about an hour's bus ride from Falmouth to the Bamboo Beach Club and some of the participants groused about that, but I enjoyed the scenery very much.

Once at the Bamboo Beach Club there are comfy loungers by the water and others in the shade as well. You are served a typical Jamaican jerk chicken lunch with all the lemonade, STRONG rum fruit punch, and beer you want. The young Jamaican servers also entertain. There are restrooms with room for changing after your romp in the surf.

On the bus ride back you see the same scenery but from a different angle, and, depending on how much rum punch you have consumed, maybe you'll have a good nap!

We had a lovely day. They are on Facebook under Bamboo Beach Club if you want to check them out.

The RC port area has places to shop and eat-:cool: Margaritaville is located there as well? What is the charge to use their pool?

The Red Stripe Beach looks like a good idea for a beach trip. Can we get a ride back before the three hours are up to the port area? Thanks again! Lisa

Lisa, the port area has places to shop and eat. At the Margaritaville in the cruise complex there is no charge to use their pool.

LuLu

I felt very safe, we even went outside the gates and visited the local shops, everyone was very nice. As far as excursions, we couldn't find anything on the list to do either, so as we got off the ship we just went to one of the booths right outside the ship and signed up for an island tour, didn't cost much and was worth the money, just something to do b/c we wanted to see jamaica, then looked at all the shops inside once we were back.

We wanted to make the most of our stop in Ocho Rios on the Carnival Glory. I read lots of reviews on tours and Courtney Taylors reviews were all so good, we decided to book with him. Very glad we did! I like to book tours where we have a little more say in where we go and what we do, and appreciate that personal touch. Sent emails to Courtney's web site and got fast response answering all my questions. Set up just the tour we wanted at a good price! When Courtney picked us up at the port, he greeted us big smiles and welcomed us to Jamaica! We went to Dunns Falls, and it was such a great touch having a place to leave our belongings where we knew they were safe and knowing when we were done we could head for our next stop without wasting any time waiting on driver and others to be ready! Next we headed for The Blue Hole. Had a wonderful time there as well, and worked up an appetite so off to Scotchies for lunch. They did not disappoint! Great food, great prices, and a cool spot to stop. After lunch with the rains coming, we headed for some shopping. We spotted a Harley store and Courtney made his way back for us, then on to some local shop for some Rum! We were back in good time for the ship and had a most wonderful day. Courtney was entertaining and gave us insight into his island home. This was a fantastic day in Ocho Rios, we did all we wanted to do and it was a fun day thanks to Courtney Taylor tours, now book your tour before he is all booked up.:D

I felt very safe, we even went outside the gates and visited the local shops, everyone was very nice. As far as excursions, we couldn't find anything on the list to do either, so as we got off the ship we just went to one of the booths right outside the ship and signed up for an island tour, didn't cost much and was worth the money, just something to do b/c we wanted to see jamaica, then looked at all the shops inside once we were back.

Do you happen to know who you used? Falmouth is our 3rd stop in 3 days and this is sounds like just the kind of tour we are looking for. We just want to go around a bit and see part of the island and hear the history with minimal walking. There are just 2 of us that want to do this in our group so hiring a personal driver isn't economical so we're looking for some kind of tour.

Thank you!

If you select the Red Stripe Beach excursion, be aware that you have to pay to use the loungers when you get there, $5 last spring. There is some natural shade there, but not a lot and no umbrellas to rent. The bus came back about 40 minutes after we arrived, and I believe went back and forth the rest of the day. It was about a 15 minute drive.

If you select the Red Stripe Beach excursion, be aware that you have to pay to use the loungers when you get there, $5 last spring. There is some natural shade there, but not a lot and no umbrellas to rent. The bus came back about 40 minutes after we arrived, and I believe went back and forth the rest of the day. It was about a 15 minute drive.

Thanks for this. We were considering the excursion, but now without an umbrella.

Most of the people who post here about feeling "unsafe" in Jamaica are simply intimidated by the hard sell tactics of the people selling trinkets and stuff.

Or pot. But even that, I don't get the leap to "unsafe":rolleyes: Just say no thanks with a smile and move on:)

Do you happen to know who you used? Falmouth is our 3rd stop in 3 days and this is sounds like just the kind of tour we are looking for. We just want to go around a bit and see part of the island and hear the history with minimal walking. There are just 2 of us that want to do this in our group so hiring a personal driver isn't economical so we're looking for some kind of tour.

Thank you!

Sorry, don't know who I used but as soon as you come out the gate the vendors will be in the middle, I think go to the first one in front - I believe maybe it's "information" (you'll know what I mean when you get there) it only cost about 30 or 40.00 pp - so that was nice and cheap. They will stop at the beach for a short while, this guy even brought up a shark, I'm assuming he might always do that (if they catch one), you'll also go visit a church (shops outside the church). Hope this helps :)

First sentence from the safety section for Jamaica on the US Department of State government website: "Crime, including violent crime, is a serious problem in Jamaica, particularly in Kingston and Montego Bay and other major tourist areas. ".

Do not kid yourselves. The problem in Jamaica is not limited to pushy vendors, although there are plenty of those. IMHO this sentence (and what follows on the site) is a pretty strong statement that people should be aware of. Make up your own minds, and to each their own and all that - but to call Jamaica safe is incorrect.

That said, many people visit with little or no incidents. On our last stop at Falmouth, we took the Dreamer Catamaran snorkel tour with Celebrity cruises, and it was very nice. The people who ran it were extremely professional, very friendly, and very patient with me as it was my first snorkel experience. At the same time, based on what my government has to say about this island, I am not about to venture out on my own. Just something worth considering.

We took a private culinary walking tour. It was $45pp. Much less for kids. It was a max of 12 guests, but it wound up being 2 of us. Jamaica Culinary tours.com. I highly recommend it for something different. We didn't want to do a beach. The tour guide even took us to a local market to buy spices.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Edited by sauvichick

Sorry, don't know who I used but as soon as you come out the gate the vendors will be in the middle, I think go to the first one in front - I believe maybe it's "information" (you'll know what I mean when you get there) it only cost about 30 or 40.00 pp - so that was nice and cheap. They will stop at the beach for a short while, this guy even brought up a shark, I'm assuming he might always do that (if they catch one), you'll also go visit a church (shops outside the church). Hope this helps :)

There is also a trolly tour that goes around town that you can buy a ticket for up by the front gate after you pass the shops. It is quite reasonable and was a nice little tour around town. Knowledgeable guides as well.