No more air jets on Rhapsody.

There is something with the way the system was constructed that doesn't meet current code - is what I was advised by an officer last year on the Rhapsody... There are also no bubbles on the Vision or Legend (Have not been on the Spledour).

There ARE bubbles on the Grandeur and Enchantment which were the two Vision ships that were built at a different shipyard, as well as the majority of the rest of the fleet.

Edited by Firefighterhoop

We were on the 8/15 sailing of the Rhapsody.

In the Compass it states:

"For your health and safety the hot tubs are operated with gentle water jets (NO air jets)."

I was previously unaware the air jets were unsafe.

I don't know when the change was made, but it's been like that for a while.

Still okay to soak in.

There is something with the way the system was constructed that doesn't meet current code - is what I was advised by an officer last year on the Rhapsody... There are also no bubbles on the Vision or Legend (Have not been on the Spledour).

There ARE bubbles on the Grandeur and Enchantment which were the two Vision ships that were built at a different shipyard, as well as the majority of the rest of the fleet.

So isn't a hot tub without bubbles a bathtub?

Hot tubs are maintained at elevated temperatures, which are close to the optimum breeding temperature for Legionella bacillus. Since Legionella is an airborne, aspirated bacteria, when you aerosolize the warm water by introducing air jets, you exacerbate the problem. While maintaining the hot tub chlorine levels at the USPH recommended levels of 8-10ppm (much higher than home pools or tubs) SHOULD take care of this, there are various reasons why Legionella will continue to be present. Overloading of the hot tub (too many people) will exceed the design limit of the filtration equipment, and people who do not shower BEFORE getting in the tub to remove sunscreen, will cause an oil film on the water surface which affects the chlorine's ability to kill bacteria. (I know I will get flamed for saying that you should get in the tub without sunscreen, as this will cause cancer, but this is the USPH's recommendation, based on pool chemistry and oil).

Another way that the ships keep Legionella under control, is that during the nightly draining of the tubs, they will "super-chlorinate" the water to 100ppm, which will remove the chlorine scale on the inside of the pipework, because the bacteria tends to live between this scale and the pipe itself.

So, the removal of the air jets from public hot tubs is a USPH requirement.

Hot tubs are maintained at elevated temperatures, which are close to the optimum breeding temperature for Legionella bacillus. Since Legionella is an airborne, aspirated bacteria, when you aerosolize the warm water by introducing air jets, you exacerbate the problem. While maintaining the hot tub chlorine levels at the USPH recommended levels of 8-10ppm (much higher than home pools or tubs) SHOULD take care of this, there are various reasons why Legionella will continue to be present. Overloading of the hot tub (too many people) will exceed the design limit of the filtration equipment, and people who do not shower BEFORE getting in the tub to remove sunscreen, will cause an oil film on the water surface which affects the chlorine's ability to kill bacteria. (I know I will get flamed for saying that you should get in the tub without sunscreen, as this will cause cancer, but this is the USPH's recommendation, based on pool chemistry and oil).

Another way that the ships keep Legionella under control, is that during the nightly draining of the tubs, they will "super-chlorinate" the water to 100ppm, which will remove the chlorine scale on the inside of the pipework, because the bacteria tends to live between this scale and the pipe itself.

Wow. Thanks for the breakdown

Makes a lot of sense now

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Very interesting information. We never get into the human stew pots on board anyways.

Yep, and sitting in the hot tubs all day will tend to rot the stitching out of cheap swimwear, so we get complaints all the time that the pool chemistry isn't right.

Hey now! I've had this problem and it wasn't cheap swimwear! It's the lycra doesn't cope will with chlorine. American made quality swimwear. No judgements please and thank you!!!!