Very worried

beanozak

Since I asked a few weeks ago how long it would take to drive from Newark Airport NY, to Boston Cruise Port I have hardly slept. I think that most of the replies pointed everything that could go wrong how bad the traffic was and that we should not have done this. Please can someone point out something positive about what we intend to do that would set my mind to rest a little bit. Also does anyone know the GPS corodenates ( cant spell the word)for the cruise terminal at Boston.:eek:

Didn't read your original thread. Are you driving from the Newark Airport to the Boston cruise terminal on the day of the cruise?

If that's the case, you should consider driving the night before the cruise and spend the night in Boston. That way you'll have that out of the way, you'll wake up refreshed and ready to go on your cruise, and most importantly, you won't have to sleep worried.

My sister used to live in New York City. She would always take the train or one of the many shuttle flights any time she needed to go to Boston.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

I have been driving few times from Newark to Boston - under normal circumstances it should take four hours - but it can also be 5 hours.

But why drive from Newark to Boston rather than flying infer Boston Airport.

Do not plan to fly into USA the same day as the cruise does start.

Please stop worrying and get some sleep. The very best day and time of the week to drive between Newark and Boston is early Sunday. I can't tell you how many times I have made this drive on a Sunday morning from New Jersey to Boston over the last 30+ years.

Here's the original thread - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43551853#post43551853

All the info in that thread is good. Did you show the directions to your son? You definitely want to get on the Merritt Parkway at some point taking I91 to Hartford, I84 to Sturbridge, and I90 (Mass Pike) directly into South Boston to the cruise terminal.

If you've flown in from the UK, you should have no problem getting up early and leaving at daylight. This will get you through NYC before any traffic problems.

When I sail from Cape Liberty in NJ, I get up early on the morning of the cruise and drive to take the cruise bus from the Boston area to NJ. The bus makes several stops in New England and has to take all the truck routes through NYC and still manages to get us to the pier with ample time to spare. You should have no problem doing the reverse trip in a car.

It all depends on the day of the week and time your traveling. The commute can range from four to five hours on a good day. What day and time are you flying into Newark?

GPS coordinates are in the lower right corner of the picture.

80d2874b-df3c-4acc-b761-a0939905c1d6_zps4ba3d3f2.jpg

Really? THESE are the things in this world that keep you awake at night? Getting stuck in traffic? Maybe you're not cut out for travel:rolleyes:

REALLY? This is your response? Maybe you're not cut out for forums. :rolleyes:

Folks - this is a continued discussion from a month ago. Please read the original thread (see post #5) for the previous discussion - the OP has already explained why their group of 4 people are driving and not taking Amtrak or flying. This drive will occur on a Sunday morning.

It will be fine. you won't have to cross any rivers in the NYC area. That is the worst part of traveling in NYC. Most GPS have a preview, where you can choose the routes available. Look for 138's route. Even if you follow the GPS exactly you will be fine if you leave early on a Sunday.

I can imagine how it feels being in a foreign country, renting an auto and driving. I feel the same when we are in Europe. Good Luck and Enjoy!

It will be fine. you won't have to cross any rivers in the NYC area. That is the worst part of traveling in NYC. Most GPS have a preview, where you can choose the routes available. Look for 138's route. Even if you follow the GPS exactly you will be fine if you leave early on a Sunday.

I can imagine how it feels being in a foreign country, renting an auto and driving. I feel the same when we are in Europe. Good Luck and Enjoy!

They certainly will have to cross the Hudson River. They're driving from EWR to Boston, and will be using the George Washington Bridge.

Since I asked a few weeks ago how long it would take to drive from Newark Airport NY, to Boston Cruise Port I have hardly slept. I think that most of the replies pointed everything that could go wrong how bad the traffic was and that we should not have done this. Please can someone point out something positive about what we intend to do that would set my mind to rest a little bit. Also does anyone know the GPS corodenates ( cant spell the word)for the cruise terminal at Boston.:eek:

You have been mislead. The important point on leaving EWR is to avoid crossings into NYC or Westchester County. So get instructions to get on the Garden State Parkway and head north until it ends. There you take the NY State Thruway north to Interstate 84. On I-84 head east and you will intersect the Mass Turnpike which will take you into Boston. If you do not meet any traffic delays it will take about 5-5 1/2 hours. If you are renting a car at EWR inquire about EZ-Pass for tolls to see if that works. It sure saves a lot of time and hunting for change. It works in NY and NJ, not sure about Mass. This is the simplest route and avoids NYC completely.

If you use a GPS it will be a big help and avoid getting lost. Otherwise an old fashioned map is needed.

Good luck - hope this helps

...Mel

You have been mislead. The important point on leaving EWR is to avoid crossings into NYC or Westchester County. So get instructions to get on the Garden State Parkway and head north until it ends. There you take the NY State Thruway north to Interstate 84. On I-84 head east and you will intersect the Mass Turnpike which will take you into Boston. If you do not meet any traffic delays it will take about 5-5 1/2 hours. If you are renting a car at EWR inquire about EZ-Pass for tolls to see if that works. It sure saves a lot of time and hunting for change. It works in NY and NJ, not sure about Mass. This is the simplest route and avoids NYC completely.

If you use a GPS it will be a big help and avoid getting lost. Otherwise an old fashioned map is needed.

Good luck - hope this helps

...Mel

Yes exactly. No need for GWB.

That is the long way around to Boston and I don't agree with that recommendation, but I know each person has his own opinion about the route they are most comfortable driving.

I know from years of experience that Sunday morning is the best time to make this trip. The most important thing for the OP is to leave very early Sunday morning. For a driver from the UK, the second most important thing would be to take the cars only route through NYC and lower Connecticut.

Normally folks ask directions from Boston and New England to New York and Cape Liberty and I have written directions for that. I put the "cars only" directions together for a trip in the other direction.

New York to Boston "cars only" directions

From Newark Airport I would take the NJ Turnpike north (getting on at Exit 13A or Exit 14 depending on the location of your hotel) following the signs to the Lincoln Tunnel, which will take you on the eastern spur of the turnpike. Then follow the signs to the George Washington Bridge Exit 18.

From the George Washington Bridge I would take the cars only parkways all the way through New York City, New York State, and halfway through Connecticut. You will not see a big scary truck until you get on I91 south of Hartford. To do this you take the upper level of the George Washington Bridge ($13 toll ) and get in the rightmost lane. Take the very first exit at the end of the bridge onto the Henry Hudson Parkway North. (If you end up on the lower level, get in the left lane and take the very first exit onto the Henry Hudson Parkway North) This route has a $5 cashless toll which is billed back to cars that don't have an EZ Pass - you want to ask Alamo if they offer a toll pass program. I checked online and someone posted that Enterprise car rental charged them $18 for this $5 toll. The Henry Hudson Parkway changes its name to the Saw Mill River Parkway at the NYC line. You take Exit 4 onto the Cross County Parkway.

To avoid this toll (ok to do early on a Sunday morning) you take the Lower Bridge and stay to the right to get off at the Major Deegan (New York Thruway) North I87. This is one of the very next exits and requires you to scoot across multiple lanes if you take the Upper bridge. http://www.aaroads.com/guide.php?page=i0095nany The Major Deegan North becomes the New York Thruway at the city line. You take Exit 4 to get onto the Cross County Parkway East - a quick scoot at the exit from left to right across two lanes of traffic to the Cross County on ramp.

Get into the left lane of the Cross County Parkway and follow the signs to the Hutchinson River Parkway North. The Hutchinson River Parkway becomes the Merritt Parkway at the Connecticut Line. Around Milford Connecticut the parkway changes name again to the Wilbur Cross Parkway. You go all the way to the end where the road intersects with I91 North towards Hartford. In Hartford you take Exit 29 Charter Oak Bridge to get onto I84 east towards Boston. At the end of I84 you get on the Massachusetts Turnpike East towards Boston.

At the end of the Mass Pike you have a choice to go to Logan Airport, South Boston, or South Station.

Most of the major car rentals in the NE now offered, usually with a (hefty) surcharge for electronic tolls (which is a time-saver during the busy summer/fall/spring driving season) - saving 5 to 10 or even 15 to 20 minutes at EVERY toll crossing. EZ-Pass are accepted on the Mass Turnpike & all the way up to Maine as we used them for our soft shell lobster runs up north (on dry land, yelp !!)

Unless weather is a problem, early Sunday morning traffic across NJ into NYC via the Hudson crossing is usually NOT a major concern or problem - especially with planning & last minute checking of updated live traffic info on AM news radio and Waze-powered smartphone NAVigation, especially leaving EWR area at 6 or 6:30 AM (nothing we can do if there's a major tanker/bus/multi-vehicle accidents & spills that shut down the entire highway for 6 to 12 hours ...)

138east/Carol & NJH, etc. said it already and I just echo theirs, it's fine to head north on the NJ Turnpike toward I-95 and cross the GWB, etc. and up the Merritt Parkway, etc. I've done the Bronx to downtown Boston trip in 3 to 3.5 hours with 1 restroom stop in mid CT as traffic tend to move smooth above the "posted" speed limit - go with the flow of traffic. From EWR to downtown pier, allowing 4.5 to 5 hours is quite reasonable and if weather isn't cooperating, leaving a little extra early AND have the passenger(s) riding together help with checking traffic & road conditions ahead - as most have smartphone with MAP & NAV capabilities (or, a cheap used Garmin GPS with updated map is less than $50 on eBay in good & working conditions, or, pay for a day's worth of GPS navigation along with the car rental, as little as $10 one-time ...)

The parkways are the best & fastest way to go and speed enforcement is generally good, stay with the flow and keep it under/close to 65 mph depending on the zone - just watch out for many inconsiderate drivers "barging" onto the 2 lanes parkway without slowing down/yield and/or signaling, especially in CT (don't understand why either ... for as long as I've been driving between NY & MA, since the 1970's)

I would only use the I-84 route as a last resort in case of a KNOWN problem using the parkways before leaving - I recalled a horror story (early this year) of numerous cars & especially TRUCKERS almost stranded on I-84 for hours in heavy traffic when a major accident forced them to use it instead of I-95 to come thru/bypass NYC and they arent' allowed on the parkways in NY. Check CT's State DOT's websites overnight before leaving for any known constructions, closures & posted detours as it should otherwise be a nice 4.5 hour drive to MA without pushing beyond the speed limit & above the "normal" traffic flow on the Turnpike.

Why would one route somebody though NYC if they didn't have to. It is one thing if you drive it all the time and know the route and roads but coming from another country and already worried about making the drive...sending them across the GWB and through the city is the last thing I would do.

Speaking at a trucker, I avoid I95 as much as I can, depending on the time of year it can be a parking lot in CT and NYC. Personally I would (and do) take I287 over the tappenzee bridge then hop on I684 up to I84 and avoid the mess (and rough road) that is I95. And the added benefit minimal tolls, just the one on the bridge.

Edited by TruckerDave

Why would one route somebody though NYC if they didn't have to. It is one thing if you drive it all the time and know the route and roads but coming from another country and already worried about making the drive...sending them across the GWB and through the city is the last thing I would do.

Speaking at a trucker, I avoid I95 as much as I can, depending on the time of year it can be a parking lot in CT and NYC. Personally I would (and do) take I287 over the tappenzee bridge then hop on I684 up to I84 and avoid the mess (and rough road) that is I95. And the added benefit minimal tolls, just the one on the bridge.

If you read the thread posted in post#5, you will find that the OP is not doing the driving herself - her son who has driven in the US is the driver and he is the one who wants to make the trip with 4 people by car. The proposed route through NYC does take them across the GW Bridge, but does not take them on I95 or on any local streets in NYC. The only I95 driving is on the NJ Turnpike and the GW Bridge itself. They would be crossing the GW Bridge about 7:30 am on a Sunday morning and getting on the cars only Henry Hudson Parkway, which has a very low traffic volume simply because of the $5 toll, which really cuts down on the number of people who use the route. This road takes them north through the Bronx to Westchester County within minutes. The Cross County Parkway and the Hutchinson River Parkway are also low volume traffic roads on a Sunday morning. By 8:30-ish they will be sailing along the Merritt Parkway in Connecticut and by 9:30 they should be south of Hartford near Meriden CT where they get on I91 and see their first truck in several hours.

Over the years I've certainly tried all the other routes mentioned for one reason or another. I'm not keen on I684 and I84 west of Hartford because they are two lane roads. I much prefer to pick up i84 east of Hartford where it is 3 lanes all the way to I90(Mass Pike) which is another 3 lane road going directly into Boston. I've also done the trip to NYC or Cape Liberty numerous times by bus, which is required to do the trip on the truck routes through the NY Metro area. These routes tend to be much more congested and/or much longer both mileage wise and time wise. Over any years cars only parkways in Westchester County have proved themselves to be the best way to go by car through this area.

WE use a GPS most of the time but have a map with you. We drive to Detroit and a lot of times through Detroit to visit friends. The drive is only an hour from our house. Each time the GPS keeps wanting us to drive over the bridge to Canada. My husband works pass Detroit and also works down town Detroit sometimes so he knows the highways. So what I am telling you make sure

you have a map and check it along with the GPS. There might be neighborhoods you don't want to be in for safety reasons.

Just a fender bender on a highway can make a back up for miles and even

a stand still on a highway. We are all trying to tell you at least go one day earlier.

Our problem will be a snow storm . And going to N.J. is freaking me out. After the winter we had last winter. And yes we are going one day earlier and who knows if that will work out. I did buy insurance for the plane and cruise.

On a Sunday morning an experienced US driver should not have an issue with the George Washington Bridge. It's a few minutes of hassle for a lot of time savings.

Watch your speed in CT -- for the drive between Massachusetts and New Jersey, CT is the place you're most likely to see police speed traps. You also cannot use radar in that state (not that a rental car is likely to have it).