NCL shareholder benefits...

PeteBull64

NCL obviously isn't Carnival or RCCL. Think they need some time to roll out all of their plans. There is such a huge price difference between the three cruise lines that it may be difficult to figure out a fair way of dealing with many of NCL's, Oceania's and Regent's benefits. I can say that when Apollo purchased Oceania and Regent, there was no sharing of benefits. However, as I said, Apollo isn't NCL (although they do own a share of NCL).

Edited by Travelcat2

We are shareholders of RCCL and used the shareholder benefit on RCCL, Celebrity and Azamara. Previously we had shares of CCL and used the shareholder benefit many times on HAL.

I would be very surprised if there was not some policy developed for Oceania and Regent cruisers to be able to obtain a shareholder benefit since NCL already has one for their shareholders who cruise NCL.

In fact, I am banking on it.;)

We are shareholders of RCCL and used the shareholder benefit on RCCL, Celebrity and Azamara. Previously we had shares of CCL and used the shareholder benefit many times on HAL.

I would be very surprised if there was not some policy developed for Oceania and Regent cruisers to be able to obtain a shareholder benefit since NCL already has one for their shareholders who cruise NCL.

In fact, I am banking on it.;)

What about the fact the neither Regent or Oceania have shareholders (yet)? And, I'm curious if the benefit you get for sailing on RCCL is the same benefit that you receive for sailing on Celebrity and Azamara. Is there no difference even though the there is a huge difference in the cost of a cruise on these cruise lines? Just trying to understand the concept you are sharing with us. And, are you just talking about on board credits?

Edited by Travelcat2

What about the fact the neither Regent or Oceania have shareholders (yet)? And, I'm curious if the benefit you get for sailing on RCCL is the same benefit that you receive for sailing on Celebrity and Azamara. Is there no difference even though the there is a huge difference in the cost of a cruise on these cruise lines? Just trying to understand the concept you are sharing with us. And, are you just talking about on board credits?

If you own NCL stock, as of today you are are a shareholder of NCL, Oceania and Regent.

With RCCL, for example, if you are a shareholder, you contact Investor Relations and apply for the shareholder benefit for whatever cruise you are booked on. the shareholder benefit is OBC based on how long the cruise is....across all the various lines under RCCL umbrella.

If you own NCL stock, as of today you are are a shareholder of NCL, Oceania and Regent.

Sorry takemewithyou but, you statement is incorrect. NCL does NOT own PCH as of today. They simply have an agreement for NCL to buy PCH. Normally mergers/purchases like this can take quite awhile to be completed. In this case the announcement stated that they hope to close the sale sometime in the 4th quarter of 2014 so it will be at least several more month until the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed and NCL owns PCH.

This is their best estimate at this time; could come a bit quicker or be delayed into 2015. Nobody knows at this time as the ink is barely dry on the agreement to acquire.

Not as of today, the closing won't be until near the end of the year. At that point, your NCL stock will include Prestige.

However, we considered buying NCL stock for the stockholder benefit. The problem is, just like RCCL, the stockholder benefit cannot be combined with any other promotions. We had purchased RCCL stock in anticipation but sold it when we learned the restrictions. We won't be buying any NCL stock just to get the so-called benefit (by the way, we do own some Carnival stock, and the last time we checked, you can still combine their stockholder benefit with other promotions. Of course, we haven't sailed Carnival since a family cruise with our children and grandchildren.

Sorry takemewithyou but, you statement is incorrect. NCL does NOT own PCH as of today. They simply have an agreement for NCL to buy PCH. Normally mergers/purchases like this can take quite awhile to be completed. In this case the announcement stated that they hope to close the sale sometime in the 4th quarter of 2014 so it will be at least several more month until the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed and NCL owns PCH.

This is their best estimate at this time; could come a bit quicker or be delayed into 2015. Nobody knows at this time as the ink is barely dry on the agreement to acquire.

yes, sorry, you are correct.

the deal is not completely finished yet.

by the way, we do own some Carnival stock, and the last time we checked, you can still combine their stockholder benefit with other promotions.

Us too, remnants of our HAL days, and darned if it does not throw a nice dividend.......stash it in your IRA :p

Not as of today, the closing won't be until near the end of the year. At that point, your NCL stock will include Prestige.

However, we considered buying NCL stock for the stockholder benefit. The problem is, just like RCCL, the stockholder benefit cannot be combined with any other promotions. We had purchased RCCL stock in anticipation but sold it when we learned the restrictions. We won't be buying any NCL stock just to get the so-called benefit (by the way, we do own some Carnival stock, and the last time we checked, you can still combine their stockholder benefit with other promotions. Of course, we haven't sailed Carnival since a family cruise with our children and grandchildren.

I agree that the RCCL shareholder benefit is almost impossible in the last couple of years to combine with other promotions, especially since the beverage packages were introduced. however the stock has jumped from $ 18 a share to $ 64 in the last few years, so I am not complaining.

no comments yet on what the NCL stock may do! :eek:

With RCCL, for example, if you are a shareholder, you contact Investor Relations and apply for the shareholder benefit for whatever cruise you are booked on. the shareholder benefit is OBC based on how long the cruise is....across all the various lines under RCCL umbrella.

So, if you go on a 20 night cruise on any RCCL owned ship, the benefit would be the same - regardless of whether it is Azamara or Celebrity or ???

What NCL passengers may not be aware of are the benefits given by TA's for booking with them. TA's that handle upper premium and luxury cruise lines regularly provide their guests with OBC's (not necessarily on all cruises) and a percentage back on the cruise fare* (on all cruises booked with them). Regent and Oceania also give OBC's on special cruises. The OBCs you can get from your TA or from Regent/Oceania usually exceed the maximum that you can receive when you sail on a RSSC owned ship and sail for 14 nights (based on the policy above which I just read and appreciate having posted).

*5% of your fare back is the maximum a TA can advertise. Some TA's give more but I would say that 5% is pretty standard.

TC, if anything is going to change under NCL, that might be the one. NCL has the most restrictive rules in the industry about such perks. That doesn't stop agencies from soending their own money to buy OBC, but NCL doesn't hand out soft money for gratuities and such.

Also, the automatic gratuities don't cover the butler and concierge --that's out of your pocket.

TC, if anything is going to change under NCL, that might be the one. NCL has the most restrictive rules in the industry about such perks. That doesn't stop agencies from soending their own money to buy OBC, but NCL doesn't hand out soft money for gratuities and such.

Also, the automatic gratuities don't cover the butler and concierge --that's out of your pocket.

Yes but NCL allows TA to discount the cruise. No perks but a cheaper rate. Just did an on-line comparison between an internet TA and the NCL web site for an Alaska cruise in July 2015. The difference was about 10% - plus a small OBC.

I highly doubt any changes as they go hand in hand in what their (O and R) competition does (Crystal and Silversea).

Interesting. But, as you explained so well it is easy to obtain Platinum status on NCL which enables you to get Complimentary Dinner for Two at Le Bistro with a Bottle of Wine, 25% off laundry, etc. To NCL passengers, these are great perks.

Le bistro.... is nothing to write home about... but it impresses if all you dine out is Appleby's.... and a bottle of 2 buck chuck......but the market demographics they sell to is impressed. Crafting a reward for a different demographic will be much harder to impress

My biggest gripe on NCL is the 24-7 every 4-5 min sales pitch's , that and the hideous paint jobs the paint their ships.....that and 3000 packed people

On one hand the ugliest and now the sleekest but as NCL passengers grow and start figuring things out and develop more specific and refined things The new ships will be there to introduce them to the next level