NFL Games in Alaska

beanersts

So getting on the Crown this weekend, any chance of some of the NFL games being telecasted on MUTS or at one of the bars?

I saw FIFA this year was on some ships

thanks

I have never seen a sporting event of any kind on MUTS in Alaska (thank goodness!!), but I have never cruised during football season, so I don't know if that's different.

You will most likely find the games on TV in the cigar bar. You will, of course, be in a smoking area where cigars and cigarettes are allowed so, if you can't handle the smoke, you may not want to sit in that area. They do tend to show the sporting events though.

Alaska also has additional challenges in receiving anything via satellite.

Most of the television and internet satellites orbit near the equator.

Alaska is so far North that the angle of reception is quite critical.

Mountains, trees, buildings, the funnel, and other ships are often blocking the signal to your ship.

Vancouver, Glacier Bay, and Skagway are particularly problematic.

Alaska also has additional challenges in receiving anything via satellite.

Most of the television and internet satellites orbit near the equator.

Alaska is so far North that the angle of reception is quite critical.

Mountains, trees, buildings, the funnel, and other ships are often blocking the signal to your ship.

Vancouver, Glacier Bay, and Skagway are particularly problematic.

What is kind of cool is that, when in the above mentioned places, we didn't have the slightest issue with TV reception. We were cruising. Who cares about TV? It never even occurred to us to care...

How much of it was live sports? The vast majority of stuff shown on the ship is pre-recorded. News summary programs can often be downloaded by network while in port to stay up to date, but that doesn't work for true live events.

What is kind of cool is that, when in the above mentioned places, we didn't have the slightest issue with TV reception. We were cruising. Who cares about TV? It never even occurred to us to care...

So getting on the Crown this weekend, any chance of some of the NFL games being telecasted on MUTS or at one of the bars?

I saw FIFA this year was on some ships

thanks

Sorry to tell ya but your not gonna be a happy camper sports on a Princess ship blows big time, what I have done before is ask the cruise director to hook you up, it's worked for me.

Good Luck

John,Laura and Gaby

Seattle,Wa.

Go Hawks

Sorry to tell ya but your not gonna be a happy camper sports on a Princess ship blows big time, what I have done before is ask the cruise director to hook you up, it's worked for me.

Good Luck

John,Laura and Gaby

Seattle,Wa.

Go Hawks

We have a bigger problem! We like College Football even more (I least, I do, not sure about my DH) and we are sailing for 28 days to the South Pacific!! We will miss at least 3 games...one week is a buy....there will be serious withdrawal going on!! :eek:;):rolleyes:

I have never seen a sporting event of any kind on MUTS in Alaska (thank goodness!!), but I have never cruised during football season, so I don't know if that's different.

2 Sunday afternoon games (one started in morning), and the Sunday evening were on MUTS on the Island Princess in Alaska last September.

We boarded on a Monday so I don't remember if the Monday night game were on.

If you are in a staying late in a port, they may not show the game, though.

Have got to say that's some very good news to hear, proof Princess is starting to listen to its ever changing customer base, We Want Football ! thank you Princess

What is yet to be seen is can Princess handle The 12th Man Fans of Seattle ,Loud and Proud.

John,Laura and Gaby

Seattle,Wa.

Go Hawks

It's important to note that the CD on board has final say as to what is shown where, based on what they can get. So your best bet on any given cruise may be a request with them (although they usually set the schedule in advance).

I'm sure Princess would possibly prefer it on the big screen. Beer sales.

Just off the Grand yesterday - they showed the Seattle/Green Bay game in the Vista Lounge on....er, whatever day that was, lol. That was the most full I have ever seen a lounge or theatre on any cruise ship! They did lose the satellite link about 20 minutes into the game (right after I saw a lot of buckets of beer delivered! Coincidence? lol <--just kidding!) but they must've got it back as I saw lots of people streaming out of the lounge a few hours later. They decorated the entrance in each team's colours - it was a nice effort!

Last year they showed quite a bit of football on MUTS during the 10-day Caribbean cruise I took last December (a full slate of Sunday games and the Monday Night game were all shown, plus at least one college game on Saturday.) They made a pretty big deal out of it too with tailgate type snacks set up and things like trivia during halftime. The two Thursday night games during that trip were also available in the lounges and on the stateroom TVs, but I don't think those were on MUTS.

Sunday is a sea day for the cruise I'm going to be on next week, so I'm guessing there will probably be football on MUTS for that one too (pending satellite reception) and probably a similar setup for the Monday Night game. Basically if they can get it, they'll show it.

Edited by Vexorg

It's important to note that the CD on board has final say as to what is shown where, based on what they can get. So your best bet on any given cruise may be a request with them (although they usually set the schedule in advance).

I'm sure Princess would possibly prefer it on the big screen. Beer sales.

Correction.

Once the CD determines what is available and legal to show, he consults with the Hotel Director.

The Hotel Director gives final onboard approval for any programming shown to passengers.

What is yet to be seen is can Princess handle The 12th Man Fans of Seattle ,Loud and Proud.

John,Laura and Gaby

Seattle,Wa.

Go Hawks

We're sailing the Crown Thanksgiving week and my husband is sure hoping they show both Seahawks games - on Sunday the 23rd and Thanksgiving day!! :D

Thanks.

I thought it was the reverse actually, the HD provides the CD with whats avail and the CD picks..

You learn new stuff all the time.

Correction.

Once the CD determines what is available and legal to show, he consults with the Hotel Director.

The Hotel Director gives final onboard approval for any programming shown to passengers.

We're sailing the Crown Thanksgiving week and my husband is sure hoping they show both Seahawks games - on Sunday the 23rd and Thanksgiving day!! :D

Well according to the press release the game should be on, fingers are crossed.

John,Laura and Gaby

Seattle, Wa.

Go Hawks

The Seahawks and Princess??? That is just soooooo very wrong. Really, that's enough to ruin my entire day.

As for football on MUTS, oh yeah, we're big fans. Take away the football and you can keep the MUTS.

As for Thanksgiving, we've cruised the last three on the Emerald and had at least two games that day on MUTS. But there is no certainty that a particular game will be shown until you get to the playoffs.

We've only ever seen bowl games shown for college football, but they do cover them fairly well (not all of them, obviously).

(Respectfully submitted by someone who loves football, and lots of NFL teams: Broncos, Saints, 49ers, Colts, Ravens, and many others...except the Packers and ESPECIALLY those meanie Seahawks and REALLY ESPECIALLY RICHARD SHERMAN.)

Have got to say that's some very good news to hear, proof Princess is starting to listen to its ever changing customer base, We Want Football ! thank you Princess

Considering the noise restrictions in Alaska, Princess probably shouldn't show any Seahawks games there. :D