Dynamic Dining Clarification

Hoopster95

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Quantum/14037847_QN_Class_Culinary_FAQs.pdf

Q: Are reservations made on a first come, first serve basis?

A: Yes, once a restaurant is full, an alternative restaurant recommendation will be made. We encourage guests to experience a different restaurant each night.

Q: Do I have to make reservations prior to the cruise, or will I be able to make reservations once onboard?

A: In order to satisfy all guests’ preferences, we encourage guests to make restaurant reservations prior to their cruise. However, once onboard, guests will have the ability to make and edit reservations.

Q: What if I want the same waiter every night?

A: The wait staff is dedicated to a specific restaurant – “venue experts”. Guests can request the same waiter when they dine in the same restaurant and will be accommodated based on availability. However, we recommend guests to experience a different restaurant each night.

Q: Where can I view the menus?

A: The menus for each restaurant can be found on RoyalCaribbean.com/DynamicDining. Menus are subject to change.

I just had a nice chat with the C&A desk. Like MTD, Q is prepared for the walk-up crowd at each venue... of course based on availability. All 4000 people on board cannot walk up to the Grande all at 6pm and expect to be seated, yes? They have left a lot of open seating at each venue, so even though your planner might say nothing avail in Chic until 9pm, they likely actually do... on every single sailing.

I told her that I had booked all my dining, that I'm happy with timing and venues. I let her know as a solo I wish to know whether I'll be seated with others or alone. She told me as booked on the planner that I'll be seated alone and therefore my seat and time is guaranteed... BUT, just like MTD, walk-ups will be seated first come first serve and be asked if they wish to be seated alone or with others in larger tables just like it is right now in MTD. SO she asked me to see the Maitre-D when I show up and ask to be seated with others, which will then be able to free up a table for 2 for someone else :D

Hope this info helps those of you who were concerned that you would never meet or sit with other people, or you had to pre-book every single meal. If anyone else has any other "first-hand" info from RCL regarding this please share. Thx CC family :)

I just had a nice chat with the C&A desk. Like MTD, Q is prepared for the walk-up crowd at each venue... of course based on availability. All 4000 people on board cannot walk up to the Grande all at 6pm and expect to be seated, yes? They have left a lot of open seating at each venue, so even though your planner might say nothing avail in Chic until 9pm, they likely actually do... on every single sailing.

I told her that I had booked all my dining, that I'm happy with timing and venues. I let her know as a solo I wish to know whether I'll be seated with others or alone. She told me as booked on the planner that I'll be seated alone and therefore my seat and time is guaranteed... BUT, just like MTD, walk-ups will be seated first come first serve and be asked if they wish to be seated alone or with others in larger tables just like it is right now in MTD. SO she asked me to see the Maitre-D when I show up and ask to be seated with others, which will then be able to free up a table for 2 for someone else :D

Hope this info helps those of you who were concerned that you would never meet or sit with other people, or you had to pre-book every single meal. If anyone else has any other "first-hand" info from RCL regarding this please share. Thx CC family :)

So with regard to solo cruisers only, how well does this work now with MTD? (I don't like the idea of MTD, so I've never tried it on Royal Caribbean.*) This is very similar to what NCL promised with their Freestyle Dining, and although I've only sailed NCL once, it was an utter failure for me as a solo cruiser.

Theron

* ETA: I take that back, on one cruise, when I was sailing with some friends, we did switch over to MTD, but the point of this question is that MTD as a solo is entirely different than when sailing with friends. I have never done MTD while sailing alone.

Edited by TPKeller

That is exactly the way I thought it would work.

There is one particular issue that I am interested in seeing how they manage though. Many people just like ourselves will have booked a certain time each night at one of the venues in a scatter gun approach so they have a slot at worst. They will invariably change their minds on the time, go to a for fee venue or just choose to eat at the buffet. We will try to cancel ASAP once we know we have had a change of mind but my guess is that there will be a number of people who do not. Will the restaurant staff allocate the reserved table after say 15mins?

On the table allocation issue from our experience with MTD on both RCL and Celebrity we were always asked if we wanted a table for two or shared table each night.

... but the point of this question is that MTD as a solo is entirely different than when sailing with friends. I have never done MTD while sailing alone.

I've never done MTD solo either. I will definitely allocate large portions of my daily CC review to Dining come December.

However I've done MTD once as a couple... with a few times over the week pre-booking a time the day before (ie. that's what you do now on-line to book Chic/Silk/etc...) and a couple of times just showed up at the MTD desk. When just showing up, once was asked whether we wished to sit with others in a group table right away or wait 10 minutes for a table for two... the other time immediately asked for a table for two and was seated right away (the MDR was not busy that time).

The C&A rep pretty much explained exactly the above MTD procedure that will occur with DD on Quantum. I'll be able to show up to the desk of my reserved venue at my booked time and have a reserved table for two as solo... I can then ask the Maitre-D to seat me in a large group table as other drop-in guests are lined up as well to sit with them. My reserved table for two will then be given to other cruisers waiting in line. I get to sit with new cruisers and make new friends everyday :D

We will try to cancel ASAP once we know we have had a change of mind but my guess is that there will be a number of people who do not. Will the restaurant staff allocate the reserved table after say 15mins?

I think you're spot on here. I suspect we will know throughout the ship which restaurants have available tables etc as the night progresses (on our TVs, smart phone aps, etc), and I think tables will be handed out if you do not bother to show up on time to those waiting at the Maitre-D desk... I think it's inevitable a lot of this will happen imo

What if you do not want to wait inline. I have seen big lines for MTD. This is the only problem I have with dynamic dining. How long will the wait be?

It will be just long enough to cause the pay restaurants to fill up.;)

That is exactly the way I thought it would work.

There is one particular issue that I am interested in seeing how they manage though. Many people just like ourselves will have booked a certain time each night at one of the venues in a scatter gun approach so they have a slot at worst. They will invariably change their minds on the time, go to a for fee venue or just choose to eat at the buffet. We will try to cancel ASAP once we know we have had a change of mind but my guess is that there will be a number of people who do not. Will the restaurant staff allocate the reserved table after say 15mins?

If RCI is smart they would scan the guests Seapass card or wowband at each restaurant as the guest enters. This could then delete any other dining reservations that were held for that night immediately freeing up that table.

Plans do change and stuff happens and it is so easy to forget to cancel a reservation.

What if you do not want to wait inline. I have seen big lines for MTD. This is the only problem I have with dynamic dining. How long will the wait be?

The longest we've ever waited for MTD is about 10 min because we wanted a table for 4. If we wanted to join a table for 8 we could have been seated immediately.

It will be just long enough to cause the pay restaurants to fill up.;)

Agreed. This is the reason behind Dynamic Dining. If you are selecting different restaurants every night then it is much more likely you will consider one of the s[ecialty restaurants.

Agreed. This is the reason behind Dynamic Dining. If you are selecting different restaurants every night then it is much more likely you will consider one of the s[ecialty restaurants.

I thought there were five "free" dining venues, not counting the snack-type places... so on a 7 night cruise... if you follow their "suggestion" to try a different venue each night, it's not "more likely" it's "inevitably!"

Theron

I thought there were five "free" dining venues, not counting the snack-type places... so on a 7 night cruise... if you follow their "suggestion" to try a different venue each night, it's not "more likely" it's "inevitably!"

Theron

Of the 5 free venues one is for Jr. Suite and above passengers and one requires formal attire. So for those not in a JS or above and who don't like to dress up (us) there are only 3 free restaurants.

Edited by molly361

Of the 5 free venues one is for Jr. Suite and above passengers and one requires formal attire. So for those not in a JS or above and who don't like to dress up (us) there are only 3 free restaurants.

Could someone clarify which restaurants are the 3 mentioned above and which are dress-up and/or Junior Suite and above?

Thanks!

I disagree. I am presently much more likely to choose Speciality Restaurants because I find the MDR menus boring and repetitive. The choices offered by Dynamic Dining make it less likely that I'll choose a Speciality Restaurant as there are more things on offer which take my fancy.

Edited by Bobal

If RCI is smart they would scan the guests Seapass card or wowband at each restaurant as the guest enters. This could then delete any other dining reservations that were held for that night immediately freeing up that table.

Though for that we're at the mercy of the smarts of RCI's IT elves....

I disagree. I am presently much more likely to choose Speciality Restaurants because I find the MDR menus boring and repetitive. The choices offered by Dynamic Dining make it less likely that I'll choose a Speciality Restaurant as there are more things on offer which take my fancy.

But the MDR menus change every night, the DD menus will be the same every day for years. I am a picky eater and looking at the DD menus I found maybe 8 entrees that interested me, maybe 3 apps and 1 desert. Seems very boring and repetitive to me.

Usually in MDR there are at least 1 app, 2 entrees and 1 desert I am interested in, plus the everyday menu that has a few more options.

I think either the DD menus need to double in size, or they need to rotate the menus around.

But the MDR menus change every night, the DD menus will be the same every day for years. I am a picky eater and looking at the DD menus I found maybe 8 entrees that interested me, maybe 3 apps and 1 desert. Seems very boring and repetitive to me.

Usually in MDR there are at least 1 app, 2 entrees and 1 desert I am interested in, plus the everyday menu that has a few more options.

I think either the DD menus need to double in size, or they need to rotate the menus around.

I think this is the crux of why some people like the idea of DD and others don't. I'm not a picky eater and I find the MDR menus very boring - meat and veg, fish and veg, pasta dish, salad etc every night - even though the choices change every night I wouldn't usually eat such boring stuff every night at home so definitely want something a bit more exciting when I'm away. On our recent week on Oasis there were some nights when we just didn't feel excited by anything on the menu - in fact one of our sons (23) said just how boring the choices were.

I would happily eat from the Asian menu and the Mediterranean menu several nights a week (in fact I could quite happy try most things on both those menus), the American menu isn't the sort of food I would usually choose but worth a try for one night. I also enjoy dressing up and partaking in the formal night menu and think it will be nice to go along to the 'formal' restaurant with other people who are dressed up too.

This is why I find the concept exciting but can see that for picky eaters it may present a challenge.

Edited by Bobal

hoopster---all 4000people walking up to the grande to be seated will never happen. the grande is formal wear only. you can't get people to get dressed formal when they should (conventional formal nights) so sure as h*** they will not do it on a ship where they have the " no formal night" option. this should be fun watching guests get turned away at the grande because they are not wearing a jacket and tie. :):)

I do not do MTD when I sail solo because I like to eat with a group. It seems like a great idea to have solos eat together if they wish. I would not mind waiting for a table of other solo cruisers. I can meet so many more people that way.