Cruise Care Ins price goes up??

karen&roy

Just checked my reservation as I was going to get my own insurance when I noticed my Cruise care ins went UP from $178 to $318 AND my fare went up per person from $1282 to $2109!! WTH !! Called but they said I had to call back because once I go on the website it takes a half hour at least to unlock. I just did a mock booking and it prices at $1125 !! Im SOO over this website changing everytime I look at it!! :mad::eek:

Just checked my reservation as I was going to get my own insurance when I noticed my Cruise care ins went UP from $178 to $318 AND my fare went up per person from $1282 to $2109!! WTH !! Called but they said I had to call back because once I go on the website it takes a half hour at least to unlock. I just did a mock booking and it prices at $1125 !! Im SOO over this website changing everytime I look at it!! :mad::eek:

I think the Cruise Care went up because it's tied to the cruise fare. This sounds like the same problem many have been having by having the cruise fare automatically re-price when you do anything to it on the web.

I think the Cruise Care went up because it's tied to the cruise fare. This sounds like the same problem many have been having by having the cruise fare automatically re-price when you do anything to it on the web.

Correct, as usual, Bob! I just bought CruiseCare yesterday for my two upcoming cruises, and the premiums are based on the price of the cruise:

Price of CruiseCruiseCare Cost per person:

$0 USD - $500 USD $29 USD

$501 USD - $1,000 USD $59 USD

$1,001 USD - $1,500 USD $89 USD

$1,501 USD - $2,000 USD $119 USD

$2,001 USD - $2,500 USD $159 USD

$2,501 USD - $3,000 USD $199 USD

$3,001 USD - $3,500 USD $259 USD

$3,501 USD - $4,000 USD $299 USD

$4,001 USD - $4,500 USD $339 USD

$4,501 USD - $5,000 USD $379 USD

$5,001 USD - $5,500 USD $419 USD

$5,501 USD - $6,000 USD $459 USD

$6,001 USD - $6,500 USD $539 USD

$6,501 USD - $7,000 USD $569 USD

$7,001 USD - $7,500 USD $599 USD

$7,501 USD - $8,000 USD $639 USD

$8,001 USD - $8,500 USD $679 USD

$8,501 USD - $9,000 USD $709 USD

$9,001 USD - $9,500 USD $749 USD

$9,501 USD - $10,000 USD $789 USD

$10,001 or Greater $799 USD

Edited by pcur

I did NOTHING but look at it!! Im on the phone now...waiting for resolution department...sigh

I did NOTHING but look at it!! Im on the phone now...waiting for resolution department...sigh

Besides Bob's speculation that maybe you sneezed while looking at the res (good one Bob), I believe people have reported changes occurring just by logging in and looking at their reservation and not making any changes. I'm sure I will be corrected if that is not true.

Edited by joepeka

I'm curious, have you considered purchasing travel insurance from a reputable 3rd party, rather than thru the cruise line? RCCL's prices are astronomical.

RCI has ZERO influence on the price of CruiseCare. If you have an issue with the price, contact Berkely Care =]. CruiseCare may seem expensive; however, the benifit greatly outweighs the cost. It's heartbreaking to hear so many stories of guest misfortune and compensation was denied. CruiseCare is priced based on the Cruise Fare. More expensive the room, more CruiseCare costs.

I'm curious, have you considered purchasing travel insurance from a reputable 3rd party, rather than thru the cruise line? RCCL's prices are astronomical.

I've priced insurance through 3rd parties and they have always been higher. Why, because they go by age and not total cruise fare.

I've priced insurance through 3rd parties and they have always been higher. Why, because they go by age and not total cruise fare.

I agree, Patti, and I had a very good experience with CruiseCare when I had to put a claim in with them.

Also, interesting to note that with the BOGOHO sale the 2nd person's insurance was less, because their cruise fare was less.

Guest maddycat
Correct, as usual, Bob! I just bought CruiseCare yesterday for my two upcoming cruises, and the premiums are based on the price of the cruise:

Price of CruiseCruiseCare Cost per person:

$0 USD - $500 USD $29 USD

$501 USD - $1,000 USD $59 USD

$1,001 USD - $1,500 USD $89 USD

$1,501 USD - $2,000 USD $119 USD

$2,001 USD - $2,500 USD $159 USD

$2,501 USD - $3,000 USD $199 USD

$3,001 USD - $3,500 USD $259 USD

$3,501 USD - $4,000 USD $299 USD

$4,001 USD - $4,500 USD $339 USD

$4,501 USD - $5,000 USD $379 USD

$5,001 USD - $5,500 USD $419 USD

$5,501 USD - $6,000 USD $459 USD

$6,001 USD - $6,500 USD $539 USD

$6,501 USD - $7,000 USD $569 USD

$7,001 USD - $7,500 USD $599 USD

$7,501 USD - $8,000 USD $639 USD

$8,001 USD - $8,500 USD $679 USD

$8,501 USD - $9,000 USD $709 USD

$9,001 USD - $9,500 USD $749 USD

$9,501 USD - $10,000 USD $789 USD

$10,001 or Greater $799 USD

I just checked the price of our travel insurance. We've been buying Travel Safe which is primary coverage. We buy it soon after booking a cruise (within 21 days) so that pre-existing medical conditions are covered. It's just a bit more expensive (about $20 per person) than RCI's CruiseCare and provides much better coverage ($100,000 medical and $1,000,000 evacuation).

Edited by maddycat

I just checked the price of our travel insurance. We've been buying Travel Safe which is primary coverage. We buy it soon after booking a cruise (within 21 days) so that pre-existing medical conditions are covered. It's just a bit more expensive (about $20 per person) than RCI's CruiseCare and provides much better coverage ($100,000 medical and $1,000,000 evacuation).

As Patti explained, 3rd party insurance is age based, so as one gets older, the 3rd party price goes up, but the cruise line insurance stays the same.

Guest maddycat
we use rci insureance because it does not take age into consideration. our online agency's does it was 50 ddollars more each and we are only 60 and 61

I suggest that you check price at the trip insurance store. We are 68 and 70 and we purchased Travel Safe insurance for about $20 more per person than the cost of CruiseCare and got much better coverage.

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/index.shtml

I suggest that you check price at the trip insurance store. We are 68 and 70 and we purchased Travel Safe insurance for about $20 more per person than the cost of CruiseCare and got much better coverage.

We are just a little oder than you ..... we have an inside cabin and the price was low ( with military dis.) so our cost of Cruise care is 58 dol for both of us ) and in our case the air is covered)

I checked few times and rechecked just a minute ago with Travel Safe classic and the cost is 209 dol. I know I get more with their coverage but the cost is a lot more.

Edited by wieslaw

Guest maddycat
We are just a little oder than you ..... we have an inside cabin and the price was low ( with military dis.) so our cost of Cruise care is 58 dol for both of us ) and in our case the air is covered)

I checked few times and rechecked just a minute ago with Travel Safe classic and the cost is 209 dol. I know I get more with their coverage but the cost is a lot more.

That is very inexpensive. We have to each buy what we feel is right for us. I would not feel comfortable with the low coverage that CruiseCare provides.

Does that also include cancel for any reason coverage?

Also does anyone know when RCI figures the cost of insurance do they include the port charges and taxes? If a cruise costs 1475 without tax and port charge, and 1600 with, would you be charged $89 or $119.

Also does anyone know when RCI figures the cost of insurance do they include the port charges and taxes? If a cruise costs 1475 without tax and port charge, and 1600 with, would you be charged $89 or $119.

Your port charges, taxes, pre-paid tips, etc. will be refunded to you if you cancel. The insurance should be purchased on the base price of the cruise.

Unless you select a cancel for any reason policy, 3rd party insurance does not include it. We are still of an age where 3rd party insurance is less expensive (usually) and most likely we would be cancelling for a covered reason.

No, they don't. The CruiseCare I just bought yesterday is based on the base cruise fare MINUS ANY DISCOUNTS,and then charge the premium based on the discounted rate. I.E. cruise fare was $1,549; we got a $75 per person discount; CruiseCare cost is $89 per person. If it was based on $1,549 the insurance cost would have been higher.

We don't need a lot of extra medical and evacuation coverage, because we are reimbursed for any medical transport, and we also have AirMed on top of travel insurance. The CruiseCare was to protect our miscellaneous and cruise cost, while it will kick in some for evacuation. AirMed is primary for this, CruiseCare secondary, and our health insurance pays anything else we are out-of-pocket for the medical evacuation. I pay $35 a month for AirMed until our frequent travel ends next year. Then, I'll cancel it.

I just got an email today that my Chase Sapphire Visa trip cancellation coverage has gone up to $10,000, too. It covers illness, severe weather, and other condition in the fine print.

In the past I always ended up buying through Travel Guard, but this last booking with Royal on Allure T/A, the insurance with Cruise Care was about $90 cheaper. Don't know why, could be DW and I have hit that age(59 & 58) spoken of in previous posts.

We usually buy 3rd party insurance because the coverage is better. We had to use the insurance one time and the coverage for medical expense was not near enough. The policy only had $10,000 medical coverage and the medical bills were almost $20K not including the medi vac. We do use the cruise line insurance if we are doing the Bahamas intinerary. I am sure all the persons on Medicare know you are not covered out of the US.