Any frequent cruisers who do not like TransAtlantics(westbound)

TomTN

You KNOW you want to book that 2015 Eclipse TA! :)

Another booking option you haven't mentioned: book while on board your upcoming TA, and get perks for that (OBC, reduced deposit). Or, book now and possibly get a better choice of cabin than you will in two months; then when you are on your upcoming TA, you just make a new reservation for the 2015 TA (assuming the price is still acceptable), get the book-on-board perks, and when you get home, call Celebrity and cancel the first reservation and switch that cabin to the reservation you booked on board. We did exactly that last fall for this fall's TA.

Have a great time on the Equinox crossing!

I agree! Why not book onboard? We have done so for our most recent (except for the 2 nighter we took on the Oasis last weekend :rolleyes: ) and for our future cruises.

Comments about Ft. Lauderdale disembarkation were 100% accurate...a nightmare. Not well organized and both citizens of USA and foreign countries were all in the same lines, creating long waits with many people. It seems it was worse because it was a TA because I've come in to that port from Caribbean cruises without such delay

Customs coming back from the Bahamas last weekend was almost as bad, with an hour wait. Same for a cruise that I took last spring into Port Everglades. :rolleyes:

I think the trick would be to book an extra hotel night in Ft. Lauderdale and take your time getting off the ship.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise. Wish we were joining you! :)

Edited by Iamthesea

It is possible I should post this question on a new thread, but I will ask it anyway. We have done transatlantic crossings, west to east and east to west, on Holland America. On the east to west cruises the clocks are set back an hour at 2 AM. On the west to east, the clocks are set an hour ahead at 1 PM. We will be taking the Celebrity Constellation TA in April, 2015. Will the time change occur during the day on a west to east trip. We like TA's. Play some bridge, trivia, read a book, nap, work out a little bit eat. Looking forward to seeing Gilbaltar.

It is possible I should post this question on a new thread, but I will ask it anyway. We have done transatlantic crossings, west to east and east to west, on Holland America. On the east to west cruises the clocks are set back an hour at 2 AM. On the west to east, the clocks are set an hour ahead at 1 PM. We will be taking the Celebrity Constellation TA in April, 2015. Will the time change occur during the day on a west to east trip. We like TA's. Play some bridge, trivia, read a book, nap, work out a little bit eat. Looking forward to seeing Gilbaltar.

We've taken two TAs on Celebrity, one in each direction. On both, the time changes were in the middle of the night.

Enjoy your TA!

Hi, how are you? You two made our SA cruise particularly memorable - as if that itinerary weren't memorable enough!

Re: your question - October is one of my favorite month for Rome (I also love it in late April) Cooler weather, less crowded. We've been there several times including a 3 week Tuscany and Rome land based vacation.

You can easily get tickets to Vatican Museum (and Sistine Chapel) online and avoid the lines. another tip - go in the afternoon - you may not even need advance tickets, its much slower then. A couple years ago in late October we even were able to take pictures inside the Sistine Chapel - everyone was doing it with the guards just ignoring it until some jerk started setting up a tripod, and that ended it for everyone...but definitely not crowded in late afternoon.

email me if you want some tips for Rome or Florence.

new email since i have gotten so much spam on the other one

silhouette.may3@gmail.com

(Guess what inspired that choice of email address? )

kathy

email coming

We love eastbound TA because of spring weather. We took westbound TA along northern Atlantic in early September and westbound from Mediterranean TA in early November. The air temperature was quite chilly. Most passengers stayed indoor that made the lower decks very crowded.

Edited by spacetraveler

We were on a TA east bound in May,on the Independence Of The Seas,time change was at 12 noon.

I have done 8 TAs and I'm through. Between lying on the deck all day to getting up and walking a few loops on the track, I just can't wait to get back to my room to dress and go eat and pray the cruise is over soon. I always gain about 7-8 lbs. a cruise and it's a pain to get off. Besides trying to find an empty treadmill or bike at the gym, there is just not enough Physical Activites (besides paying for a spin/yoga class) on the ships. the track is full of lounge chairs or people walking in lines 4-wide at a snails pace. I'm done with them. Unless they can come up with a physically more active TA cruise, ill stick to regional cruises where I can get off the ship and move. IMO

assuming this is a spoof since your signature indicates two more TA's in your near future....!!!:D

BUSTED!!! :eek: :D ;)

Thanks for all the helpful/interesting replies. Good to see post from some delightful folks we've sailed with before.:)

We are looking forward to meeting several of you on our Equinox TA next month.

Now I have to look into booking on board, and the possibility of transferring to an agent later. Not sure I need that drink package though. I might just go on a coffee/alcohol diet.:o

I love being onboard and truthfully, don't get off at every port (the ship is my destination).

After sailing to Bermuda and having a day of rough seas in the Atlantic, I wouldn't do a TA cruise. For me, the risk of rough seas during the crossing outweighs the enjoyment I'd get from 7-8 sea days in a row.

I sailed from New York during Hurricane Irene (they closed the port just after we left); Sailed in the after effects of Hurricane Sandy (our cruise was cut a day short because the ship couldn't dock on Saturday) but I've not experienced seasickness like I did cutting across the Atlantic to Bermuda.

I love being onboard and truthfully, don't get off at every port (the ship is my destination).

After sailing to Bermuda and having a day of rough seas in the Atlantic, I wouldn't do a TA cruise. For me, the risk of rough seas during the crossing outweighs the enjoyment I'd get from 7-8 sea days in a row.

I sailed from New York during Hurricane Irene (they closed the port just after we left); Sailed in the after effects of Hurricane Sandy (our cruise was cut a day short because the ship couldn't dock on Saturday) but I've not experienced seasickness like I did cutting across the Atlantic to Bermuda.

You may have a rough time in the Mediterranean, we had 50 ft waves there

Thanks for all the helpful/interesting replies. Good to see post from some delightful folks we've sailed with before.:)

We are looking forward to meeting several of you on our Equinox TA next month.

Now I have to look into booking on board, and the possibility of transferring to an agent later. Not sure I need that drink package though. I might just go on a coffee/alcohol diet.:o

The free promo packages drink/gratuity/OBC is not offered on Transatlantic cruises, but you could still pay reduce deposit and receive some OBC for booking onboard. Transfer the booking to a TA offering more OBC and you have enough to purchase your drinks (if you decide to fall off your diet :D), or eat in Specialty dining on your cruise. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

Only place you find smooth waters is in your bathtub unless you have a jacuzzi tub :p

Okay.....I assume you will "settle" with there was no rocking whatsoever in the INCREDIBLY calm seas for the two Med cruises we were on....

as I said, it's all about what Mother Nature wants to bring your way on any given cruise....

Edited by Gracie115

We have one booked for 10-27-14 on the Equinox. We are considering one next fall on the Eclipse.

I'd like to hear from people who have tried one or more westbound TAs and do not enjoy them. Why?

Certainly ok to post positive remarks.:)

I'm really just trying to decide whether to go ahead and book the cruise next year, and cancel if we find we do not enjoy the one we age going on this year or wait to book when we return.

We are booked on the same cruise!!!

So my big concern also is what the seas may be like. We have experienced seas up to 30' in the Caribbean, and I was quite green that day. It was years ago on a Century class ship, so I presume an S class ship would handle the seas better, but I have this fear of being stuck on a crossing where for literally days in a row the seas are churning. I've heard the southern routes are statistically more likely to be smooth than a northern route. As a seasoned cruiser, I know each cruise can vary no matter where you are, but for those who have sailed a number of TA's - what has been your experience? Generally calm, generally a bit of rock and roll here and there, or??? When DH finally retires we would love to try a TA, but I need to be convinced:D He, on the other hand, did not even need a Dramamine in 30' seas so this worry is mine alone. Thoughts?

So my big concern also is what the seas may be like. We have experienced seas up to 30' in the Caribbean, and I was quite green that day. It was years ago on a Century class ship, so I presume an S class ship would handle the seas better, but I have this fear of being stuck on a crossing where for literally days in a row the seas are churning. I've heard the southern routes are statistically more likely to be smooth than a northern route. As a seasoned cruiser, I know each cruise can vary no matter where you are, but for those who have sailed a number of TA's - what has been your experience? Generally calm, generally a bit of rock and roll here and there, or??? When DH finally retires we would love to try a TA, but I need to be convinced:D He, on the other hand, did not even need a Dramamine in 30' seas so this worry is mine alone. Thoughts?

Bonine

Unfortunately, there comes a point where Bonine does not do it for me - even in prescription doses. Anything 20' or over qualifies:(

I feel for you.

Do you book midship cabins? On a lower floor?

Also, we start the Bonine the night before the cruise and we take one religiously before bedtime each night regardless how fantastic we feel. I am not an expert, but perhaps the build-up makes a difference?

Also, we take an inside cabin. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Edited by Can'tstopcruising

Unfortunately, there comes a point where Bonine does not do it for me - even in prescription doses. Anything 20' or over qualifies:(

Getting very OT here (apologies to the OP), but you might want to consult your doctor about a scopolamine patch. (It worked very well for my spouse and others on our Antarctica trip during the two very rough crossings of the Drake Passage.) Sorry that you are so affected by the motion of the sea.