Labadee - What to wear

premier cruiser

Our first trip to Labadee aboard the Allure in October. What do you guys wear off the ship? We do have a cabana for our use. If we wear our bathing suits is there a place to change to go shopping? Or do you just shop in your bathing suits. What kind of shopping is there on Labadee and is there anything worth buying?:confused:

Wear your swimsuits!! Its a small island that is owned by Royal so everyone walks around in their swimsuits.

We just got home from the Freedom and it was a wonderful trip!

Beautiful place!!!

Edited by GTO-Girl

Either wear a swim suit cover up or something else over your suits. I usually wear shorts and a t and DH wears a shirt with his swim trunks. Lots of women just wear swim suit coverups or shorts over their suits. Shopping on Labadee isn't like shopping at other ports. It's all pretty much outside booths. There is one "building" but it's really just one room with several vendors.

The shopping is local artisans. Everything sold there is made in Haiti. So, once again, not like other ports.

Edited by BND

You could shop in your swimsuits, or have a cover-up over it. There's also restrooms where you could change if you really wanted to. The shopping isn't like real stores, more like a marketplace.

edit: BND types faster than me!

Edited by StarSong2001

You could shop in your swimsuits, or have a cover-up over it. There's also restrooms where you could change if you really wanted to. The shopping isn't like real stores, more like a marketplace.

I usually find that someone else beats me to it :D

The merchant's outside the marketplace building are at times very agressive. We usually just ignore them and keep walking

Wear your swimsuits!! Its a small island that is owned by Royal so everyone walks around in their swimsuits.

We just got home from the Freedom and it was a wonderful trip!

Beautiful place!!!

Labadee is not a small island owned by Royal Caribbean. Labadee is part of Haiti. It is leased by Royal Caribbean.

Labadee is not a small island owned by Royal Caribbean. Labadee is part of Haiti. It is leased by Royal Caribbean.

Yep, it's basically a peninsula. I don't know how long the lease is for but they have greatly improved the area.

You will absolutely love the cabana. Yes, RCI and various passenger groups have done a lot for the locals that live in Labadee....schools, medical facilities...passenger groups donate school supplies and sports equipment. RCI leasing this peninsula has really changed the lives of the locals. Our Cabana Steward was very grateful for his job and the benefits that have come to this village.

Dress casual...swim suit, cover up, shorts....whatever makes you comfortable!

Our first trip to Labadee aboard the Allure in October. What do you guys wear off the ship? We do have a cabana for our use. If we wear our bathing suits is there a place to change to go shopping? Or do you just shop in your bathing suits. What kind of shopping is there on Labadee and is there anything worth buying?:confused:

Swim suits ,water shoes and tee shirts.

Just to add a few more tips:

Yes, there are places to change, but they are bathrooms, and the floors are all covered in sand from all of the traffic, so it's not the greatest place to change. You will find that most people just wear bathing suits with shirts or coverups.

I LOVE the shopping on Haiti. The Haitian Art is VERY unique, and is done by locals. I have several framed pcs around my home. The vendors are very aggressive, but I also find them very friendly.

By far my favourite port.

Someone mentioned bug spray - I've never experienced bugs much during the hot days in Haiti (I lived there for 18 months back in the 80's).. the evening time is when we had to watch out. But, I suppose it cannot hurt to bring some - I've never used it since it's so hot, I just sweat all of the time.

Just to add a few more tips:

Yes, there are places to change, but they are bathrooms, and the floors are all covered in sand from all of the traffic, so it's not the greatest place to change. You will find that most people just wear bathing suits with shirts or coverups.

I LOVE the shopping on Haiti. The Haitian Art is VERY unique, and is done by locals. I have several framed pcs around my home. The vendors are very aggressive, but I also find them very friendly.

By far my favourite port.

Someone mentioned bug spray - I've never experienced bugs much during the hot days in Haiti (I lived there for 18 months back in the 80's).. the evening time is when we had to watch out. But, I suppose it cannot hurt to bring some - I've never used it since it's so hot, I just sweat all of the time.

The only bugs we've ever encountered there are flies, especially around the food areas, but no mosquitoes or any other bug.

The merchant's outside the marketplace building are at times very agressive. We usually just ignore them and keep walking

I know there're aggressive, they are trying to make a living to supports their families. It is very tough for the locals living on the island, many have nothing at all. As you notice, we are all fenced in at Labadee and are not allowed to leave the property. I feel sorry for the Haitians and try to buy a thing or two, even if I don't need it so they can make some money and we always tips the performers playing music as you are entering Labadee. A few dollars will not make a change in our lives but it will help them in their life.

I know there're aggressive, they are trying to make a living to supports their families. It is very tough for the locals living on the island, many have nothing at all. As you notice, we are all fenced in at Labadee and are not allowed to leave the property. I feel sorry for the Haitians and try to buy a thing or two, even if I don't need it so they can make some money and we always tips the performers playing music as you are entering Labadee. A few dollars will not make a change in our lives but it will help them in their life.

Well said.

Well, but the reality is many people pass right by them because they are so aggressive. DH and I for example have said many times we would gladly stop and probably buy something if they weren't all yelling at us. I can feel sorry for them, but they need to learn they would do better if they weren't so aggressive. I don't need to be looking at one stall, only to have 5 other vendors yelling at us to look at theirs. I would gladly roam around and buy a few things if they would back off.