Protocol when not using MDR table as you are going to a speciality restaurant

ozone34

As the title says if you don't need the table in the MDR as you are going to a speciality restaurant a couple of nights during the cruise do you let the waiter know out of courtesy.

Cheers

Yes we always let them know .As it nice to give your table mates and the waitstaff the courtesy of letting them know not wait for us to arrive for dinner.

Edited by Jasp 0401

It is always nice to let the staff and your tablemates when you will not be at dinner. We were on a 10 day cruise and ended up sitting at a table for 6 alone almost everynight. We should have ask to be moved to another table and finally about half way through we met some wonderful people who invited us to join their table. We did and still cruise with them.

What if you do not plan on eating in MDR at all during the cruise? We are on MTD. On our last cruise, our young son was scared on the MDR because there were too many people and was too noisy, so we left early on the first night and never went back. We ran into one of our servers at WJ, and told her we would not be back - but, never thought to notify the staff. We were sitting at table by ourselves, so no need to let other people know.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

What if you do not plan on eating in MDR at all during the cruise? We are on MTD. On our last cruise, our young son was scared on the MDR because there were too many people and was too noisy, so we left early on the first night and never went back. We ran into one of our servers at WJ, and told her we would not be back - but, never thought to notify the staff. We were sitting at table by ourselves, so no need to let other people know.

Once on board, see the MTD Manager and tell them that you will not be eating there for the duration of your cruise.

Once on board, see the MTD Manager and tell them that you will not be eating there for the duration of your cruise.

Thanks. I am pretty sure we will not be dining in MDR this upcoming cruise, so will do that when we board - gives me something to do if we board early. The MTD Manager is on second floor, right?

Thanks. I am pretty sure we will not be dining in MDR this upcoming cruise, so will do that when we board - gives me something to do if we board early. The MTD Manager is on second floor, right?

On Grandeur I believe that MTD is on Deck 5, so on embarkation day, there should be someone there at the podium to answer questions.

Agree that it is the courteous thing to do, especially if you have tablemates. Normally we have become close to our tablemates and enjoyed their company - if they didn't show up one night would wonder if everything was all right (no illness, etc.) Have found the majority of people do tell their tablemates - even had one couple join the table for dessert - they brought dessert for the entire table from the specialty restaurant!

As far as not eating in the MDR the entire week, if you have reserved a table I think you should advise the dining room manager on the first night. They probably have people on a waiting list who would love the table. Again, just being courteous.

When doing traditional dining we would usually let our table mates and waiter know if we were dining elsewhere, but sometimes it just was that we had a late lunch or something. So I began telling everyone that if we didn't show up within a few minutes of the start time that we were not coming and not to wait for us. We kind of like to decide at the last minute to change plans so we tried MTD this last cruise and loved it

If you have a table for two, I don't see the point in telling anyone.

What if you plans change before the start of dinner service? Do you dart down there to tell someone?

You don't need to let anyone know.

If your not there, your not there, and the table sits empty.

They don't stand around scratching there heads wondering where you are.

It is not like they are holding the table back from someone else.......

Of course you do not need to tell anyone, but if you know your plans why would you not tell them - it certainly is a nice thing to do with the waitstaff and tablemates if you have tablemates - people do wonder.

With MTD, if you want to keep a table and/or waiter (which they usually try to do as a matter of course if you are coming at the same time), and/or want to have a good relationship with the supervisor at the computer at the door, tell them what you are doing. On day of embarkation, we usually eat in Chops first night to take advantage of the BOGO coupon - especially if in a group, I try to "check in" with MTD guy on first day and give him a heads-up on our plans so that we can try for same table and same wait staff the nights we will be in MDR. Now, if it turns out we do not like the table or wait staff at that table, then we ask to change, of course.

Sometimes we only do the Windjammer on the whole cruise and I always go to the MDR and let them know, so they can give someone on the waiting list for early dining our table. A couple times they seemed disinterested and said they didn't have to know. Another time I knew someone that wanted our spot so she went along with me and arranged it then.

Gwen :)