FOS Diamond Lounge Coffee Machine Broke

oursbrun

• 1 month later...

The Coffee machine on Freedom in the DL was just limping along on the Nov 23rd cruise - like the rest of the ship waiting for the Jan dry dock to get it fixed. The DL concierge showed us how to go through the electronic menu on the machine and reset it when necessary. Then it worked. This was actually only a couple of extra steps on occasion to get our desired beverages. Most of us got the hang of it pretty quickly or helped out others. We had a great cruise - not much to complain about even with the finicky DL coffee machine! The DL staff was superb and treated everybody exceptionally well.

Hello,

I'd like to say a few words in support of the poor abused coffee machines (on board Independence and Adventure).

They are made by WMF - a German kitchenware and tableware company famous in Germany (their take, not mine).

They stop working (quite correctly) for a number of reasons and not because they have 'gone wrong'. These reasons are: Full Grounds Tray; Cleaning needed; No beans; and Descale needed.

The problems with the poor little machines on board are chiefly those inflicted by RCI: It (the Presto!) is under-spec as it's rated at only 40 - 60 cups per day; It (the brewing unit) is usually cleaned under the tap and rarely by using the cleaning tablet; It is nearly always filled with full-fat milk whereas the spec calls for the use of semi-skimmed milk.

I rarely go to the shows as I get al my enjoyment watching people using the coffee machine. There have been times when it has been opened-up with all its bits hanging out, a big sign on it saying Cleaning in Progress only for some old dear to put a cup under the spout, punch a button and look round for help saying "It's not working". My advice to RCI is to remove the thing and allow D and upwards free access to the specialty coffee in the cafe.

Regards,

Cublet

Is this the correct Technical Date sheet? http://www.wmf-coffeemachines.cn/fileadmin/user_upload/wmf-kaffeemaschinen/Produkte/PDF/englisch/presto_features_engl.pdf as it states 150 cups recommended/max per hour. Or am I reading it wrong?

Anyway I love the machines and not in favor of removing them.:eek:

Our concierge on Legend said that the coffee machine was rated at 100 cups a day, and we had 600 Diamonds and up onboard. He also told us that people would stand at the machine and brew two in one cup. Not me, I didn't mind those paper cups being half full, because with the rocking of the ship, I'm less likely to spill. But if the concierge doesn't want us to brew two at a time, get smaller cups.

$3000 for a part? Sounds like they'd be better getting a whole new machine at $10,000, rather than pay for the part only to have another break down.

Ours was broken the entire cruise. But we still could get regular coffee. We had to push the decaf button for it to work, and people kept trying for regular coffee and jamming the machine.

Sasha, the concierge, was stressed the entire time.

Edited by knittinggirl

Hey Ellen, how did Dan get his stuff from the safe???!!!

As far as the coffee machines, the D concierge was handing out vouchers for Seattle's Best coffee, Bertie in the Concierge lounge was not. Both lounges had pots of regular and caffeine-free coffee all day/night long. The machine in Chops was also not working this seek. All are to be replaced during dry-dock.

Hey Ellen, how did Dan get his stuff from the safe???!!!

As far as the coffee machines, the D concierge was handing out vouchers for Seattle's Best coffee, Bertie in the Concierge lounge was not. Both lounges had pots of regular and caffeine-free coffee all day/night long. The machine in Chops was also not working this seek. All are to be replaced during dry-dock.

It was easier than I thought it would be. The lady at the table right inside there where we saw you took the info. Then about 15 minutes later she handed him the wallet.