Is it the Sea Princess

Just heard on my local radio station that a Ship which left Fremantle several weeks ago has been inundated with illness and will be cutting out several ports of the itenarary and returning early to Fremantle.

There has been suggestions that they have had 2 deaths on board as well? If this is the Sea Princess, surely they should cancel all future cruises and dry dock it.

Just heard on my local radio station that a Ship which left Fremantle several weeks ago has been inundated with illness and will be cutting out several ports of the itenarary and returning early to Fremantle.

There has been suggestions that they have had 2 deaths on board as well? If this is the Sea Princess, surely they should cancel all future cruises and dry dock it.

When you refer to illnesses are you taking about passengers or the parts of the ship that keep breaking down.

Without any solid info, hard to come to any reasonable and logical solutions. But a drydock for a medical problem is not exactly the typical solution. The below water area of the hull probably has nothing to do with any illnesses.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Sorry I should have been more specific - a huge bout of Novo virus

I know the condition of a ship has nothing to do with sickness on board, what I did mean is given all of the bad press with the Sea Princess they should just bite the bullet and drydock/refurbish and bring it back looking fresh and operating efficiently

Unfortunately Noro virus occurs from time to time on cruise ships and other places where people live and eat in close quarters. It would be unusual to cut a cruise short because of noro. Usually control measures are used.

There could easily have been a couple of deaths on board, and, once again, this is a common occurrence. It would probably be unusual to have a cruise of a couple of weeks' duration that doesn't have at least one death. Sadly this happens when many of the people cruising are in the older age bracket. I doubt that the deaths had anything to do with noro. When a person has that virus, they might "feel like death" but I don't think it kills. I don't mean to make light of noro - I did get it many years ago but not on a cruiseship.

Has it been confirmed that it is the Sea Princess?

It could be her :(

She is the only one that I know off that is sailing from Fremantle and has been away from Fremantle for several weeks.

If its true then a broken ship + Noro will = a lot of complaints :(

100 passengers? I was on the Ruby Princess TA in 2012 and they had a lot more come down sick. There was outbreak of Noro four days in and then all the tour buses in Morocco on Princess tours got food positioning. Had to fill out a questionnaire at the end of the cruise. It was given to every passenger to complete.

100 passengers? I was on the Ruby Princess TA in 2012 and they had a lot more come down sick. There was outbreak of Noro four days in and then all the tour buses in Morocco on Princess tours got food positioning. Had to fill out a questionnaire at the end of the cruise. It was given to every passenger to complete.

Yes ..The article says 100 passengers came down sick.......

Sea Princess Facts:

Formerly:

Sea Princess (1998-2003)

P & O Adonia (2003-2005)

Year built: 1998

Shipyard: Fincantieri, Italy

British Registered

GRT: 77,449 tons

Length: 856 feet

Beam: 105 feet

Public Decks: 12

Passengers: 1,950Crew: 830

Space Ratio: 39.5

the article could also have been written..

One thousand , eight hundred and fifty people ,

did not come down with Noro.

My sister returned from Singapore last week after completing the last Sea Princess cruise from Fremantle.

She stated that the Captain had to be left behind after one port of call as he had succumbed to the Noro & that there were some days of no self-serve in the buffet but all had returned to normal after a couple of days.

I cruise RCI normally whereas she VERY loyal to Princess so won't hear one negative word against any of their ships!

Our conversation when she returned went something along the lines of:

"So how was your cruise?"

"Fabulous! Princess really know how to look after their passengers! I'm only sorry I'm not still onboard".

She's only sailed the 3 that we have here in Oz & isn't even interested in any other cruiseline.

I tried to persuade her to come on the QM2 cruise I'm on next March. Gave it a thought or 2 then declined! That's loyalty for you!

Gae

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My sister returned from Singapore last week after completing the last Sea Princess cruise from Fremantle.

She stated that the Captain had to be left behind after one port of call as he had succumbed to the Noro & that there were some days of no self-serve in the buffet but all had returned to normal after a couple of days.

I cruise RCI normally whereas she VERY loyal to Princess so won't hear one negative word against any of their ships!

Our conversation when she returned went something along the lines of:

"So how was your cruise?"

"Fabulous! Princess really know how to look after their passengers! I'm only sorry I'm not still onboard".

She's only sailed the 3 that we have here in Oz & isn't even interested in any other cruiseline.

I tried to persuade her to come on the QM2 cruise I'm on next March. Gave it a thought or 2 then declined! That's loyalty for you!

Gae

Ignorance can be bliss.:D

Yes ..The article says 100 passengers came down sick.......

Sea Princess Facts:

Formerly:

Sea Princess (1998-2003)

P & O Adonia (2003-2005)

Year built: 1998

Shipyard: Fincantieri, Italy

British Registered

GRT: 77,449 tons

Length: 856 feet

Beam: 105 feet

Public Decks: 12

Passengers: 1,950Crew: 830

Space Ratio: 39.5

the article could also have been written..

One thousand , eight hundred and fifty people ,

did not come down with Noro.

Yes. I got that. On Ruby from recollection there was a lot more

Illness and death is no reason to dry dock

Depends what the illness is and noro can be well dealt with

There are regular deaths in cruise

I was on a 42 night cruise with 6 die

It is what it is

Understood, but with all of the bad publicity surrounding the mechanical issues on the Sea Princess, missed ports, dissapointed passengers and now the dreaded noro virus, surely it would be a good idea to bring the Sea Princess of the cruise agenda a bit earlier.

That would allow for Princess to fix and spruce her up and regain the trust and satisfy faithful customers who love the staff and service of Princess?

I was on a 42 night cruise with 6 die

It is what it is

Yes we had about the same on a 46 night cruise - we had one outbreak of gastro - caused by certain foods on a cruise tour - otherwise no problems.

I just think that Novo Virus is part of sailing so we look after ourselves.

And unfortunately some of the Princess ships we get here in Australia are a bit older but they do get refurbished at times - I thought the Sea Princess was only done in 2012.

Noro can happen anywhere and it does, it is just ruining peoples holidays and due to the confined nature of a cruise ship, can be spread more quickly.

Unfortunately deaths also happen on nearly every cruise, cruise friends were on a 57 day England to Sydney cruise two years ago and there were at least 16 deaths, on our 11 day QLD cruise last year there were 4 bodies taken off. Illness and death are part of life and therefore can happen anywhere.

Noro can happen anywhere and it does, it is just ruining peoples holidays and due to the confined nature of a cruise ship, can be spread more quickly.

Unfortunately deaths also happen on nearly every cruise, cruise friends were on a 57 day England to Sydney cruise two years ago and there were at least 16 deaths, on our 11 day QLD cruise last year there were 4 bodies taken off. Illness and death are part of life and therefore can happen anywhere.

I was on the PO UK Acardia and they were halfway through the world and they had lost 8 already.

Yes we had about the same on a 46 night cruise - we had one outbreak of gastro - caused by certain foods on a cruise tour - otherwise no problems.

I just think that Novo Virus is part of sailing so we look after ourselves.

And unfortunately some of the Princess ships we get here in Australia are a bit older but they do get refurbished at times - I thought the Sea Princess was only done in 2012.

Yes I believe so also

Just seems to be having more than it's fair share of issues

Dad

And yes noro is just one of those things in cruising