Wharf extension OPT

We are going to be on the Solstice checking in at the OPT on December 21 and then that night moving to Athol Buoy for December 22 to make room for the Century to dock at the OPT. Does Celebrity usually tender from Athol Buoy to the OPT or to somewhere else in Circular Quay?

Thanks

So are you overnighting in Sydney on 21 Dec.

Sorry that we are making you move, I'd be happy to delay our disembarking a couple of days

The Solstice overnights in Sydney on December 21 and is to depart at 6:30 PM on December 22. Hopefully the Solstice stays docked late enough on the 21st at the OPT so that we don't need to take a tender that evening.

We will watch you sail in Monday morning.

The Solstice overnights in Sydney on December 21 and is to depart at 6:30 PM on December 22. Hopefully the Solstice stays docked late enough on the 21st at the OPT so that we don't need to take a tender that evening.

We will watch you sail in Monday morning.

Century gets in at 6:30 22 Dec so you might move early morning. I'm sure some else will know more.

I do not know but gbenjo- Graham will.

I would think the tenders would go to Campbell cove (I think that is what it is called) right by the OPT, this would be the same as what they used f or the transfers from White Bay. I would imagine the Solstice would leave the dock prior to midnight and then offer tenders. Bear in mind that I am only speculating and Graham will know the details for sure.:D

I do not know but gbenjo- Graham will.

I would think the tenders would go to Campbell cove (I think that is what it is called) right by the OPT, this would be the same as what they used f or the transfers from White Bay. I would imagine the Solstice would leave the dock prior to midnight and then offer tenders. Bear in mind that I am only speculating and Graham will know the details for sure.:D

According to the Sydney Ports schedule the Solstice will overnight Sunday 21st Dec at the OPT and move to Athol Buoy 5am Monday morning 22nd Dec. Don't know where the tenders will go to drop guests off once they are at Athol Buoy but I will try and find out for you, perhaps Campbell's Cove or maybe Man O' War steps next to the Opera House.

Edited by gbenjo

Last time tenders went to/from the Opera House steps.

Not sure if it'll be the same this time though.

Man O' Steps at the Opera House makes more sense as the tenders will not be "interfering" with the commercial passenger ferries using Circular Quay. The Quay is a no go zone for most vessels other than ferries.

Man O' Steps at the Opera House makes more sense as the tenders will not be "interfering" with the commercial passenger ferries using Circular Quay. The Quay is a no go zone for most vessels other than ferries.

That does make sense. I knew you would have the answers.:D

Hi Grahame and all,

Just checking on the latest guesti-mate of how my plans will fit in with the OPT plans.

I'm on Rhapsody on 17th Dec - travelling with 90 yo Dad who is on a walker and cannot assist with luggage. We have been through OPT many times - as recently as 11th Oct (where I think they did a brilliant job working around the renos).

My plan is....I think...

Arrival. Drive in, in a private vehicle (as normal?), pull up in drop off bay - drop luggage, unload Dad and send him to sit in the shade at The Cruise Bar (is it still there?). I go and park the car. Come back, meet him, go to the 'wheel chair/special assistance' line and board.

SIMPLE! Is it still that simple??????????

Depart.

Hummm....maybe not so simple?

Normally I would clear customs, sit Dad on a seat with the luggage at the drop off pick up point at street level, go get the car then collect Dad in the private vehicle??

I see you mentioned that pick up is now on Hickson Rd.

BUT - if I show the disability pass will I be able to pick him up at the normal drop off spot.

Another option could be to get into a taxi - BUT I am parking the car at the Opera House parking (special cruise deal $20 a day) and I'm pretty sure the taxi driver would knife me for such a short trip. Then I could 'park' Dad on a seat with the luggage at the disability parking at the front of the Opera House, and run down and get the car. Would prefer not to do this as it means loading and unloading him one more time than is necessary, a cranky taxi trip, loading and unloading at the front of the Opera House and just more fusing around.

Any intel, ideas, comments etc?

Thanks Grahame for keeping us all so up to date with whats going on.

Looking forward to you checking me in...even if you don't roll out the red carpet and champers for me!

Raina

Thought I might put off asking this until closer to the time to minimise speculation.

We will be arriving on Solstice on Sunday 21st December. I have pre booked a cab to take us to airport (11am flight to Bne).

Cab Coy is aware of the reconstruction works at OPT but are unsure what arrangements will be in place on 21st. They did suggest that their cab might well be re directed to the cab rank at Circular Quay. They further suggested we should ring them when we arrive.

Not sure if I am totally happy with that.

I read on this thread that pick ups are presently being conducted back along Hickson Rd (completely different direction to the Circ Quay Cab rank). Also read about disembarking pax having to go back up to 1st level to pick up cabs...???? re pre booked.

Has anyone got any up to date info/experiences on this? I like to be organised (esp. as this time we will have two grandchildren with us) I have previously just hiked up to the Marriott Hotel and picked up an Avis Car (one way hire to airport about same as cab) and wondering if I should not just do that again.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Hi Grahame and all,

Just checking on the latest guesti-mate of how my plans will fit in with the OPT plans.

I'm on Rhapsody on 17th Dec - travelling with 90 yo Dad who is on a walker and cannot assist with luggage. We have been through OPT many times - as recently as 11th Oct (where I think they did a brilliant job working around the renos).

My plan is....I think...

Arrival. Drive in, in a private vehicle (as normal?), pull up in drop off bay - drop luggage, unload Dad and send him to sit in the shade at The Cruise Bar (is it still there?). I go and park the car. Come back, meet him, go to the 'wheel chair/special assistance' line and board.

SIMPLE! Is it still that simple??????????

Depart.

Hummm....maybe not so simple?

Normally I would clear customs, sit Dad on a seat with the luggage at the drop off pick up point at street level, go get the car then collect Dad in the private vehicle??

I see you mentioned that pick up is now on Hickson Rd.

BUT - if I show the disability pass will I be able to pick him up at the normal drop off spot.

Another option could be to get into a taxi - BUT I am parking the car at the Opera House parking (special cruise deal $20 a day) and I'm pretty sure the taxi driver would knife me for such a short trip. Then I could 'park' Dad on a seat with the luggage at the disability parking at the front of the Opera House, and run down and get the car. Would prefer not to do this as it means loading and unloading him one more time than is necessary, a cranky taxi trip, loading and unloading at the front of the Opera House and just more fusing around.

Any intel, ideas, comments etc?

Thanks Grahame for keeping us all so up to date with whats going on.

Looking forward to you checking me in...even if you don't roll out the red carpet and champers for me!

Raina

Hi Raini your plans look ok except that there is no Cruise Bar at the moment (was to reopen in January but.......:(??) As long as you plan to arrive after check in has started 10:30 -11 ish then you should be able to drop off your bags at the baggage tent and "park" your dad in the "air conditioned" temporary marquee ( which is where wheel chair registration is) right next to baggage drop off while you go and park your car. There is seating in the wheelchair area and your dad can wait there till you get back.

As for debark it is probably no harder to get to the Hickson Road pick up point and you can "park" dad there until you get the car. The trick is go out the taxi rank door upstairs and walk past the taxis and straight down to Hickson Road (no steps and downhill all the way) and maybe get one of the porters (in the red shirts) to take your luggage for you. Although if you flash the disabled parking sticker they may let you in to the old pick up area, perhaps ask the security guys when you come to drop off and find out. Hope this helps...see you at check in......its only that pesky GUT2407 & MiCanberra that want the red carpet treatment...precious little things:D:D

Hi Raini your plans look ok except that there is no Cruise Bar at the moment (was to reopen in January but.......:(??) As long as you plan to arrive after check in has started 10:30 -11 ish then you should be able to drop off your bags at the baggage tent and "park" your dad in the "air conditioned" temporary marquee ( which is where wheel chair registration is) right next to baggage drop off while you go and park your car. There is seating in the wheelchair area and your dad can wait there till you get back.

As for debark it is probably no harder to get to the Hickson Road pick up point and you can "park" dad there until you get the car. The trick is go out the taxi rank door upstairs and walk past the taxis and straight down to Hickson Road (no steps and downhill all the way) and maybe get one of the porters (in the red shirts) to take your luggage for you. Although if you flash the disabled parking sticker they may let you in to the old pick up area, perhaps ask the security guys when you come to drop off and find out. Hope this helps...see you at check in......its only that pesky GUT2407 & MiCanberra that want the red carpet treatment...precious little things:D:D

Oh they are pesky. I don't need the red carpet. I'll be heading straight to the Concierge Lounge where I DO get the red carpet and definitely the Champagne!!!!!

Thanks for all your help. It makes it so easy having an expert around! If it just me and DD it doesn't matter, but when you have a tired 90yo with you ..........

And for the people complaining about the temporary mess - I got off in Hamburg, Germany this year. Once we finally got our luggage and got to the front we were in taxi line for 2 hours!!!!!

OPT is a peice of cake!

Raina

Thought I might put off asking this until closer to the time to minimise speculation.

We will be arriving on Solstice on Sunday 21st December. I have pre booked a cab to take us to airport (11am flight to Bne).

Cab Coy is aware of the reconstruction works at OPT but are unsure what arrangements will be in place on 21st. They did suggest that their cab might well be re directed to the cab rank at Circular Quay. They further suggested we should ring them when we arrive.

Not sure if I am totally happy with that.

I read on this thread that pick ups are presently being conducted back along Hickson Rd (completely different direction to the Circ Quay Cab rank). Also read about disembarking pax having to go back up to 1st level to pick up cabs...???? re pre booked.

Has anyone got any up to date info/experiences on this? I like to be organised (esp. as this time we will have two grandchildren with us) I have previously just hiked up to the Marriott Hotel and picked up an Avis Car (one way hire to airport about same as cab) and wondering if I should not just do that again.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Why do you need to pre book a cab? If you can be among the first group off the ship (or even self assist) then there is normally no queue for taxis but even if you were later getting off, it is a Sunday so you should get to the airport in a half hour or so, easy.

I see I am lumped in with GUT2407:eek: ah well if the shoe fits. I expect that special treatment now.;)

G'day mic

Well as herself and daughter would say I am special in a special sort of way, you like belong in a special school, you sure you want to be lumped with me?

Why do you need to pre book a cab? If you can be among the first group off the ship (or even self assist) then there is normally no queue for taxis but even if you were later getting off, it is a Sunday so you should get to the airport in a half hour or so, easy.

Usually no problems when just the two of us...but with 9 & 11yo grandkids in tow we are trying to "cover all bases".

Can't see us doing self disembark... and from my experience we will be allocated a time, so I would not plan on being one of the first off. That is not the issue, and neither is the time to get to the airport, but the reason I pre booked is that we will need a station wagon cab... with the way that all cabs now use lpg, and have their gas bottle taking up most of the boot space, a normal sedan would not cope.

So...my question remains...where can I expect to meet my cab?

cheers

Usually no problems when just the two of us...but with 9 & 11yo grandkids in tow we are trying to "cover all bases".

Can't see us doing self disembark... and from my experience we will be allocated a time, so I would not plan on being one of the first off. That is not the issue, and neither is the time to get to the airport, but the reason I pre booked is that we will need a station wagon cab... with the way that all cabs now use lpg, and have their gas bottle taking up most of the boot space, a normal sedan would not cope.

So...my question remains...where can I expect to meet my cab?

cheers

I know you want cover all bases but there are usually plenty of station wagon taxis and Maxi taxis at the rank and you can nominate what time you want to get off the ship, but to answer your question about where you can expect to meet your cab, I am not sure but I will ask the question tomorrow for you and let you know. It is just a regular taxi ( Taxis Combined type) isn,t it, but also if you are booking the taxi yourself why could you not nominate where you want to be picked up, say outside the Park Hyatt hotel or Holiday Inn for example ???

Edited by gbenjo

.its only that pesky GUT2407 & MiCanberra that want the red carpet treatment...precious little things:D:D

Well well... thats not quite so .. I see my request for Krug has been ignored I hope you will not try to pass the normal "fizzy plonk" around on the 27th Jan when we board Solstice

Hmmmm VK3DQ and party no1 customers for G's special fast track deluxe boarding .......

just not good enough !! :(

Regards John

Well well... thats not quite so .. I see my request for Krug has been ignored I hope you will not try to pass the normal "fizzy plonk" around on the 27th Jan when we board Solstice

Hmmmm VK3DQ and party no1 customers for G's special fast track deluxe boarding .......

just not good enough !! :(

Regards John

G'day John

But you might not be precious like Me and Mic:D.

Just look at all these great definitions of precious, seem to apply to me perfectly [not sure about Mic, but probably to him too]:

1.of high price or great value; very valuable or costly:

2.highly esteemed for some spiritual, nonmaterial, or moral quality:

3.dear; beloved:

4.delicate, refined, or nice:

G'day John

But you might not be precious like Me and Mic:D.

Just look at all these great definitions of precious, seem to apply to me perfectly [not sure about Mic, but probably to him too]:

All of the above and good looking with it

No No Mr G "promised" the super deluxe boarding experience , we have to meet him as our limo drops us off and he is supposed to be there with a silver tray of Krug (Silver not EPNS)

And he is to make sure the red carpet is freshly hovered before We have to walk on it...

Oh dear its hard to get good help :p

Regards John

All of the above and good looking with it

No No Mr G "promised" the super deluxe boarding experience , we have to meet him as our limo drops us off and he is supposed to be there with a silver tray of Krug (Silver not EPNS)

And he is to make sure the red carpet is freshly hovered before We have to walk on it...

Oh dear its hard to get good help :p

Regards John

I've already decided when I get to OPT I'm going to say "Where's Graham" and then join some other line, he's threatening all sorts of things, and I don't mind for me, but what about more poor dear bride??

I'm back, we are in the process of switching internet providers and the old modem decided to go off-line for a day. :eek:

Thanks for all the information on the tender docking location. This will help us plan out our Monday activities. :)