When was your 1st cruise and how much you pay for it?

SRQfireman

My first cruise was on NCL's Starward in 1978. It was $625 per person, cruise only. We drove from Albuquerque to Miami (2 1/2 days). Small ship, very small cabins, so so food -- but I loved it.

My second cruise was on Sitmar's Fairsea out of LA (1982) $1,125 per person including airfare. Huge improvement over NCL, with great food and spot on service. Strange cabin off of a little back staircase (only four cabins in our area); twin beds and tile floors. There was a small kitchen across the hall serving room service.

I will take modern cruising over the good ole days anytime!

Kel:)

Some things are better, but others not so much. I like smaller ships and don't care if I have a balcony or not. What I miss is the more personalized service and the better quality food of the MDR in those days....

I have yet to find the equal of Sitmar's brick-oven pizzerias on the Fairwind and Fairsea.

KK, our first cruise was also on the Cunard Countess, April 1990. We had been on board her sister, the Cunard Princess, a few years earlier seeing my parents off on their way to Bermuda and the idea stuck with us to someday try it ourselves. We had a wonderful time. Our table mates were a BOAC engineer and his wife from Thialand. Both terrific people. After a late stroll around the deck the four of us would meet up near the band stand for irish coffee. Great memories.

2009 Queen Victoria $57,000.00 per person.

serious??? WOW how was it????

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just in case she doesn't come back, I do know that it was a world cruise and the photos look amazing.

I can't decide if I'd like to do a world cruise or not. I'd love to see some of the more exotic ports those ships stop at, but I don't know how I'd pack for several months at sea :o

7 day on RCCL, Song of America, in l983, I think. Cost us $1500 each for a oceanview cabin, including air and one night hotel in Miami, flying from San FRancisco.

By comparison, our first Mediterranean cruise was on Royal Cruise line,the Royal Odessey, in l989, a limited view cabin costs us $7,500 for the two of us, for 12 day cruise from Venice to London, did not include air, hotels are anything else.

Just in case she doesn't come back, I do know that it was a world cruise and the photos look amazing.

I can't decide if I'd like to do a world cruise or not. I'd love to see some of the more exotic ports those ships stop at, but I don't know how I'd pack for several months at sea :o

Yes, it was a world cruise. Since then we did three more world cruises. Next year it will be our longest cruise, 180 days. After four world cruises I'm an expert on packing 😄. First cruise 13 luggage and 2 carry on. Second cruise 9 luggage and 2 carry on. Third cruise 8 luggage and two carry on. Fourth cruise 8 luggage and 2 carry on. Next cruise is easy, there is no formal, but a long cruise, probably 8 luggage and two carry on.

Happy Cruising

M

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks,

Hi nelblu. I scanned in all 7 days worth of menu brochures today, but it will not allow me to upload to cruisecritic. They're saved as .pdf files & are not that large, but apparently too large for this forum. I've added .jpg files that were much larger in the past. Sorry. If you would like me to email them to you, I'd be happy to, as I already transferred the files to my phone. My email is my screenname @ hotmail .com

Neither Flickr nor photobucket will let me upload pdf either. For brochures, like the menus which are 4 pages including cover & back, I think pdf makes viewing in sequence much easier... can't imagine why I can't do it? Anyone know?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Edited by browneyedgirlnb

Neither Flickr nor photobucket will let me upload pdf either. For brochures, like the menus which are 4 pages including cover & back, I think pdf makes viewing in sequence much easier... can't imagine why I can't do it? Anyone know?

You need to use something like Dropbox for pdf files.

Hi nelblu. I scanned in all 7 days worth of menu brochures today, but it will not allow me to upload to cruisecritic. They're saved as .pdf files & are not that large, but apparently too large for this forum. I've added .jpg files that were much larger in the past. Sorry. If you would like me to email them to you, I'd be happy to, as I already transferred the files to my phone. My email is my screenname @ hotmail .com

You need to use something like Dropbox for pdf files.

ok, lets try this again. I had enough space in my dropbox account...

9/3/83

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kj9rvjdhhiou48w/MVAtlantic%20menu%2009-03-1983.pdf?dl=0

9/4/83

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sp1s0c7u41n7ov2/MVAtlantic%20menu%2009-04-1983.pdf?dl=0

9/5/83

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x5454f2dxpsefqa/MVAtlantic%20menu%2009-05-1983.pdf?dl=0

9/6/83

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ivkoh4avp3uq35/MVAtlantic%20menu%2009-06-1983.pdf?dl=0

9/7/83

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7oa0g9tjkke15g/MVAtlantic%20menu%2009-07-1983.pdf?dl=0

9/8/83

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jdorbhph62eff6d/MVAtlantic%20menu%2009-08-1983.pdf?dl=0

9/9/83

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oz3xowdhc3ewv1e/MVAtlantic%20menu%2009-09-1983.pdf?dl=0

someone please let me know if the links work? :eek: thanks.

May 1993. Majesty of the Seas, inside cabin for our 25th wedding anniversary. About $2500. for 2 people included round trip air from Cincinnati to Miami and transfers to the ship. There was no Cruise Critic back then. Hell we didn't even have a computer back then. We've learned a lot since then and now have 17 cruises under our belt. Wow how times have changed. I am now booked in a cove on the Breeze for $459 per person.

BTW I like this topic. Its fun to reminisce.

My first cruise was on the Carnivale in 1988. I don't remember the cost because my ex-DH paid for us to go. We had a friend join us--three of us in an inside cabin that had an upper berth above our bed. Fortunately our friend did not have as much to drink as DH did. She managed to get up the ladder and back down without incident.

One of the first cruises I took with my current DH was on the Sovereign of the Seas in 1992. We got a deal--$1,200 per person for a deluxe outside cabin that was the size of a mini suite on today's ships. That was before ships started having a ton of balcony cabins. We thought we were living large--three huge windows and a sofa in the cabin and a full size tub in the bathroom.

1955 on the original Queen Mary...cost...a whopping $225, for a huge cabin in "cabin class" (the ship had first, cabin and tourist class staterooms). I think there must have been at least 25 pieces of silverware at each meal...I never did figure out what they all were used for.

First cruise was in 1968 for our 15th wedding anniversary. It was on one of Cunard's small converted liners. It had been used as a troop ship in WW2. We saved for over a year and I sewed to make enough clothes for the 10 days in the Caribbean. Husband rented a tux and I had 3 long gowns. We had an inside cabin with bunk beds. No balconies back then and no stablizers.

A very different experience than now.