Spin Off: Have you HAD to use your passports

S.A.M.J.R.

Have you HAD to use your passport while on a closed loop cruise?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Have you HAD to use your passport while on a closed loop cruise?

• Yes, I'm glad I had it.
    • Yes, but I didn't have one and my trip was delayed because of it.
    • No, I haven't needed it.
    • Other (cruise line required one, more peace of mind, etc) Explain

Some of the most recent posts are still missing the point about some cruise lines (e.g., most premium and luxury) requiring a passport of ALL passengers on ALL cruises. Carrying one is not the issue. Most of these lines require that you surrender your passport to the purser's staff before boarding the ship at embarkation. Unless the passport is required for a particular port (beyond the ship picture ID issued by the ship), in which case you will have it temporarily returned to you, you do not see rife passport again until you disembark at the end of the cruise. In this way, your passport remains safe and secure. If you miss reboarding the ship in a particular port, the purser will leave your passport with the local agent (whose contact info is printed on the daily news sheet published by the ship's purser).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been on 25 cruises. I had a passport for every single one of those cruises, and I have never had to show it except when first boarding and last debarking. Both times a birth certificate and driver's license would have been all I needed.

You are participating on two different but similar threads on this topic and are the only one defending the idea that it is pointless to obtain a passport unless it is absolutely required. It must be very lonely being all by yourself on the wrong side of an argument. :eek:

Edited by SantaFeFan

You are participating on two different but similar threads on this topic and are the only one defending the idea that it is pointless to obtain a passport unless it is absolutely required. It must be very lonely being all by yourself on the wrong side of an argument. :eek:

Wrong side? Seriously? Passports are the best travel documentation, no argument, but they are not required of all travelers in all situations. On closed loop cruises US citizens have a choice as to what travel documentation they may use and it is up to each traveler to assess which option works best for them. For me and mine it has been pointless to obtain passports for the travel we have been able to undertake simply because there are other options available (I am not advocating that anyone make the same decision that we've made or trying to convince someone that our way is the "best" way). There is no "wrong side" when it comes to such a personal choice- your way works for you and mine works for me.

As for people needing a passport to take a shore excursion on an Alaska itinerary that is beside the point- the passport was not needed to take the cruise (and since there are alternative documents that can be presented at the border it could be said that the passports weren't strictly necessary for getting back from Canada).

You must be saying that each and every one of your 25 cruises have been closed loop cruises out of and back to a US port. If any of your cruises began or ended in a foreign country, you would not have been allowed onto the ship without a passport, so a birth certificate and driver's license would have been of no help whatsoever. Plus, flying to or from a foreign airport also requires a passport, so again those other two documents would not have been needed.

Of course, the poll specifically included "cruise line requirements" in the 'other' option. The poll & thread were made to see how many folks NEEDED a passport when other ID would suffice.

Some of the most recent posts are still missing the point about some cruise lines (e.g., most premium and luxury) requiring a passport of ALL passengers on ALL cruises. Carrying one is not the issue. Most of these lines require that you surrender your passport to the purser's staff before boarding the ship at embarkation. Unless the passport is required for a particular port (beyond the ship picture ID issued by the ship), in which case you will have it temporarily returned to you, you do not see rife passport again until you disembark at the end of the cruise. In this way, your passport remains safe and secure. If you miss reboarding the ship in a particular port, the purser will leave your passport with the local agent (whose contact info is printed on the daily news sheet published by the ship's purser).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And some posts are missing the point that the poll wasn't about CRUISE LINE requirements.

Yes, we have used ours, as Canadians.

Russia, Alaska, [if going into Canada on a tour], Europe, the odd Caribbean Island, and, as I recall the last time that we took an Hawaiian cruise, this was just after an 'event'.

In Canada at least, a passport seems to be #1 for identification these days in some instances.

john

It is quite amusing how the "don't need one" crowd gets their panties all in a bunch when people recommend getting one, even though it may not be required. Not sure why they get so darned defensive, other than their need to provide us with entertainment value. :D

Bottom line, if you don't need one, don't get one. BUT, having a passport has no negative aspects to it other than the $100 cost every tenth year. It is the BEST form of identification, not only around the world, but at home as well. And, in extreme cases, can be very useful for getting home in an emergency. There is absolutely no downside to having one.

So, I have a question. To those who adamantly insist that any suggestion to get one "just in case" is intrusive in your lives, exactly what harm does it do to you to be given that advice? :confused:

Edited by swsfrail

And we're still awaiting the first post that actually addresses the OP's question:

I'm talking about HAVING to use your passport (missed a ship, had to fly back early, etc).

Amazing...

And none of your three posts on this thread has answered that question, either. You have made 10% of the posts and have done nothing more than complain about how people aren't answering the OP's question, and all WITHOUT ANSWERING THE OP'S QUESTION YOURSELF!

Amazing... :D

Edited by sloopsailor

It is quite amusing how the "don't need one" crowd gets their panties all in a bunch when people recommend getting one, even though it may not be required. Not sure why they get so darned defensive, other than their need to provide us with entertainment value. :D

Bottom line, if you don't need one, don't get one. BUT, having a passport has no negative aspects to it other than the $100 cost every tenth year. It is the BEST form of identification, not only around the world, but at home as well. And, in extreme cases, can be very useful for getting home in an emergency. There is absolutely no downside to having one.

So, I have a question. To those who adamantly insist that any suggestion to get one "just in case" is intrusive in your lives, exactly what harm does it do to you to be given that advice? :confused:

I'm guessing because it's a two way street. The crowd who claims everyone should have a passport seems to get their panties in a bunch when someone (accurately) points out a passport may not be needed.

And yes, for some people, the $135 per person (for the original) is a BIG downside, especially for a family.

Maybe I worded the poll poorly, but I find it hard to believe so many folks HAD to have a passport (no other form of ID would work). Obviously if a cruise line or excursion requires a passport, then one is needed.

And none of your three posts on this thread has answered that question, either. You have made 10% of the posts and have done nothing more than complain about how people aren't answering the OP's question, and all WITHOUT ANSWERING THE OP'S QUESTION YOURSELF!

Amazing... :D

Yes, but at least I know I'm not addressing the OP's question and it's obvious that I'm not even attempting to...unlike the others who seem to think they are addressing it.

Oh...by the way you're doing the same thing you're chiding me for doing, which reminds me of people who post "Don't believe what you read on the Internet !" Well guess what. They just posted that advice on the Internet, which means if you follow their advice you shouldn't believe their post either.

And we're still awaiting the first post that actually addresses the OP's question:

I'm talking about HAVING to use your passport (missed a ship, had to fly back early, etc).

Amazing...

Wasn't it answered twice within the first 3 responses on this thread...before you even replied? Why wouldn't needing a passport for cross-border excursions in Alaska not suffice as a good answer? :confused:

I'm guessing because it's a two way street. The crowd who claims everyone should have a passport seems to get their panties in a bunch when someone (accurately) points out a passport may not be needed.

Nope. These people are providing useful advice based on their experience. How is that problem? I would much rather be getting advice to have more than the minimum protection required than be told to only get the minimum in the hopes than nothing bad will happen. Having more protection than necessary is a much better option than having less. It's the people who get offended that someone is providing information they don't want who are the "panties in a bunch" crowd. They somehow feel we are butting into their lives when all we are trying to do is offer advice to help them be ready for the unexpected.

It's a public service we are providing. :D

Edited by boogs

Yes, but at least I know I'm not addressing the OP's question and it's obvious that I'm not even attempting to...unlike the others who seem to think they are addressing it.

So that makes it OK for you to not answer the question while it is not for the others???????

Oh...by the way you're doing the same thing you're chiding me for doing, which reminds me of people who post "Don't believe what you read on the Internet !" Well guess what. They just posted that advice on the Internet, which means if you follow their advice you shouldn't believe their post either.

I am not commenting on the lack of answers to OP's question as you are. I am commenting on the irony of criticizing people for not answering the question while also not answering the question. I just thought is was quite amusing, that's all. ;)

Take a deep breath and relax a bit. Try not to be so sensitive. And, "Don't believe what you read on the internet". :D:):p

Edited by sloopsailor

Wasn't it answered twice within the first 3 responses on this thread...before you even replied? Why wouldn't needing a passport for cross-border excursions in Alaska not suffice as a good answer? :confused:

Because apparently the OP was asking about passengers who cruised without a passport and then subsequently ran into a problem because they missed the ship in a port or had to fly home early (due to illness, family emergency or the like).

Not being able to take an optional shore excursion doesn't appear to be what the OP was driving at...and the OP's subsequent posts appear to confirm that (even to the point of the OP admitting that the survey might not have been worded that well, leading to the Alaska shore excursion examples and other answers he wasn't really looking for...see posts #29 and 36).

Here's the story. We see thread after thread filled with finger wagging at people who choose to cruise with a birth certificate and ID where it is permitted. Reports of gloom and doom...what's going to happen if you miss the ship or have a medical emergency. Well yes, you will be inconvenienced, but I believe the point of the survey was to get some idea of how often this sort of thing actually happens. My guess is not very often.

Edited by njhorseman

So that makes it OK for you to not answer the question while it is not for the others???????

I am not commenting on the lack of answers to OP's question as you are. I am commenting on the irony of criticizing people for not answering the question while also not answering the question. I just thought is was quite amusing, that's all. ;)

Take a deep breath and relax a bit. Try not to be so sensitive. And, "Don't believe what you read on the internet". :D:):p

Do yourself a favor. Don't quote one of my posts, attack what I wrote, and then come with the "take a deep breath and relax" line when I object to what you wrote. If you're not willing to deal with my response don't post the criticism.

On our first cruise we flew from Anchorage to Vancouver and needed it.

But, from my point of view, I carry it whenever I travel. It is "perfect" Identification and can be used whenever I travel. On cruises, unless surrendered, it is locked in the safe. I do not use it on ports because I would rather carry my DL and only once have I had to show ID to get back into the port.

FWIW.

Nope. These people are providing useful advice based on their experience. How is that problem? I would much rather be getting advice to have more than the minimum protection required than be told to only get the minimum in the hopes than nothing bad will happen. Having more protection than necessary is a much better option than having less. It's the people who get offended that someone is providing information they don't want who are the "panties in a bunch" crowd. They somehow feel we are butting into their lives when all we are trying to do is offer advice to help them be ready for the unexpected.

It's a public service we are providing. :D

Regarding the bolded... some are and some aren't. I'm not calling out anyone, but if you read the various "passport or not" threads, there are, shall we say, "enthusiastic" proponents on BOTH sides. There are some who flat out say "if you can't afford a passport, you can't afford to cruise". Do you really think THAT is "helpful advice based on their experience"?

Granted, I've only been on two cruises. We've had passports for both of them. We've shown them twice... once to get on the ship, once to get off. Both of those a BC & ID would have sufficed.

As njhorseman suspected, there's plenty of gloom and doom when the question is asked ("what if you get sick?" "what if you have to fly home early because of an emergency?", "what if you miss the ship?") that I wanted to know how often the doom and gloom actually happens.

There is a new post on the HAL forum saying cruiser received notice from their TA that passport will be required by HAL for closed loop Panama Canal cruise which stops in Costa Rica. Doesn't matter if the guest wishes to get off the ship in that port or not. Passport required according to that poster/TA

Regarding the bolded... some are and some aren't. I'm not calling out anyone, but if you read the various "passport or not" threads, there are, shall we say, "enthusiastic" proponents on BOTH sides. There are some who flat out say "if you can't afford a passport, you can't afford to cruise". Do you really think THAT is "helpful advice based on their experience"?

Granted, I've only been on two cruises. We've had passports for both of them. We've shown them twice... once to get on the ship, once to get off. Both of those a BC & ID would have sufficed.

As njhorseman suspected, there's plenty of gloom and doom when the question is asked ("what if you get sick?" "what if you have to fly home early because of an emergency?", "what if you miss the ship?") that I wanted to know how often the doom and gloom actually happens.

I actually do consider what I have underlined as pertinent and useful advice for the 'non-passport' cruisers. If the family budget is so pinched by getting passports (and certainly many are these days and I mean nothing derogatory by it), then how stretched are they going to be if they are forced to leave the ship prior to schedule due to illness, accident or even misbehavior by someone in their group? If you can't afford passports, how will you afford hotels, ground transportation, food and all the incidental expenses you will incur such as plane tickets home?

I actually do consider what I have underlined as pertinent and useful advice for the 'non-passport' cruisers. If the family budget is so pinched by getting passports (and certainly many are these days and I mean nothing derogatory by it), then how stretched are they going to be if they are forced to leave the ship prior to schedule due to illness, accident or even misbehavior by someone in their group? If you can't afford passports, how will you afford hotels, ground transportation, food and all the incidental expenses you will incur such as plane tickets home?

Which comes back to the original point of the thread... how often does that "something" happen?

Is it valid to tell someone "if you can't afford trip insurance, you can't afford to cruise"? How about "if you can't afford multiple cabins for your family, you can't afford to cruise"?

I would be willing to bet that many with passports would be stretched to the limit if something happened and they had to leave the ship mid-cruise. They would still have many of the same expenses (although potentially not as many hotel nights). The extra expenses when something happens- that's what travel insurance is for.