Stock benefit

LadyBerard

I bought mine at $19 and have reinvested the dividend ever since. I use it when I don't book a balcony.

Shak

I can only say I wish we had bought our Royal stock at $19, but we bought it in January of 2014....but it has gone up nicely since then.....it is a long term investment, not a short term profit maker.

Combinable with NOTHING offered by the cruiseline...........and even without that, you may have to fight tooth and nail to get it.

I will find this thread next week and report whether I was successful in MY battle on the Enchantment. :eek: :rolleyes: :p

Maybe someone on this thread can help me. After reading this, I thought it would be a nice Christmas present to get my parents a few shares of RCI stock as they've recently become addicted to cruising (yes, my fault....guilty!) I don't expect them to become rich off it or even make any real money, but it's something different. My Mom has always loved watching stocks rise and fall, but has never really owned any. Are there places that I can go and just buy a few shares of stock without a broker? Is there a fee for doing that? I know you probably can't name companies here, but I'm just wondering how I go about doing it.

Thanks in advance...

Maybe someone on this thread can help me. After reading this, I thought it would be a nice Christmas present to get my parents a few shares of RCI stock as they've recently become addicted to cruising (yes, my fault....guilty!) I don't expect them to become rich off it or even make any real money, but it's something different. My Mom has always loved watching stocks rise and fall, but has never really owned any. Are there places that I can go and just buy a few shares of stock without a broker? Is there a fee for doing that? I know you probably can't name companies here, but I'm just wondering how I go about doing it.

Thanks in advance...

Not really. There used to be a company called One Share, but it went away since stock certificates/shares are all electronic now. The one that comes up on Google doesn't sell RCI.

IMO you would have to open a small account with an online broker and purchase it that way. Which might not be a bad thing, you could always open an account for yourself. Even if you have an account, there will be a fee.

Edited by Coralc

Not really. There used to be a company called One Share, but it went away since stock certificates/shares are all electronic now. The one that comes up on Google doesn't sell RCI.

IMO you would have to open a small account with an online broker and purchase it that way. Which might not be a bad thing, you could always open an account for yourself. Even if you have an account, there will be a fee.

Thank you!

I guess when I said "are there places I can go..." I did mean online, as opposed to a stockbroker (meaning real person). So as an individual I can go online and buy just a few shares of something (not like 100, but like 2) at one of the many online 'brokers' I see commercials for all the time?

Edited by Maybaybie10

Go to Scottrade. They only charge $7.00 to purchase 1 or 100 shares. My stockbroker charges $60 to purchase stock. I use him when I need advice or an additional opinion.

My daughters bought several shares at a time and now have the 100 shares to get the cruise credit. They are young and are just happy to cruise on an interior room. They enjoy the cruise credit when they travel. They also enjoyed the run up in value of RCL stock.

Go to Scottrade. They only charge $7.00 to purchase 1 or 100 shares. My stockbroker charges $60 to purchase stock. I use him when I need advice or an additional opinion.

My daughters bought several shares at a time and now have the 100 shares to get the cruise credit. They are young and are just happy to cruise on an interior room. They enjoy the cruise credit when they travel. They also enjoyed the run up in value of RCL stock.

Thank you! That is exactly the info I needed. Now hopefully I can figure out how to navigate the site as a newbie!

Dollar cost averaging is the way to look at buying the RCL stock. They were only talking about buying several shares at a time. Yes, RCL stock has exploded in value. And it will drop sometime in the future. That's just how the stock market is.

I bought my RCL stock at $28 a share. Others bought it at $10. My daughters purchased it all over the spectrum, from the 20's to the 50's. When you are betting long on a company I do not see a concern with buying several shares now and more later.

The reality is to buy it while the funds are available rather than frittering it away on other things.

Granted, I prefer to purchase large blocks of stocks when the value is down. But in this case they only wanted to buy several shares at a time.

Thank you all for helping me learn! I'm really only getting them a few shares because they were sooo anti-cruising 3 years ago, and since that 1st one (for my 40th birthday), they have been on six...including several Caribbean, an Australian, and are currently packing for a Transatlantic next month. I just thought it would be a cute and cheeky little gift for them...and I know Mom would appreciate it. I may do some research and pick a few really cheap ones (under $5-$10) a share that remind me of them or things they like and get those too. Just something fun, different, and unexpected.

Combinable with NOTHING offered by the cruiseline...........and even without that, you may have to fight tooth and nail to get it.

I will find this thread next week and report whether I was successful in MY battle on the Enchantment. :eek: :rolleyes: :p

I was able to use mine on OV cabin on an upcoming Enchantment cruise . Originally the booking offered a small (maybe $10 or $15) OBC for C&A members so I asked the TA to decline the discount. That way I was able to use the $50 OBC.

Good luck with your OBC.

M

Dollar cost averaging is the way to look at buying the RCL stock. They were only talking about buying several shares at a time. Yes, RCL stock has exploded in value. And it will drop sometime in the future. That's just how the stock market is.

I bought my RCL stock at $28 a share. Others bought it at $10. My daughters purchased it all over the spectrum, from the 20's to the 50's. When you are betting long on a company I do not see a concern with buying several shares now and more later.

The reality is to buy it while the funds are available rather than frittering it away on other things.

Granted, I prefer to purchase large blocks of stocks when the value is down. But in this case they only wanted to buy several shares at a time.

I look at stock buying as an investment and if it can give me 'something back' besides profit at some point fine. We were late to the Royal stock buying, only buying it in January 2014, when it was $53, I think....yet it is higher today. We will be able to get an OBC for a Majesty cruise we are considering since we only take an OV on her.

When it works out for us, to have the OBC, great....if not....let the stock keep increasing in value. That really is what we bought it to do.

Now, would I turn away an additional OBC if it could be done in conjunction with another discount -- of course not....and Royal should put that ability back in.....they had it a few years ago. It is only fair to the people who ARE YOUR STOCKHOLDERS.

I was able to use mine on OV cabin on an upcoming Enchantment cruise . Originally the booking offered a small (maybe $10 or $15) OBC for C&A members so I asked the TA to decline the discount. That way I was able to use the $50 OBC.

Good luck with your OBC.

M

great

Edited by SeaUs

I don't own it but I follow it. I'm not sure why they would raise the dividend instead of paying down some debt but it's nice to see them doing well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some companies feel less debt or being debt free (and there are companies that have no debt and are very cash positive, while being reasonably large companies), while others feel debt is a part of business and rewarding shareholders with increasing dividends is a way to encourage more investing.

As a shareholder and Royal cruiser, I am fine with it.

There are several companies where you can buy stock directly from the company. Look up DRIP (dividend reinvestment plan). I don't think RCL is one but there are several good companies. That's how I got started investing, several years ago.

I own 100 shares of RCL, purchased through a broker and even if I can't combine it with other discounts, I've certainly done well with it.

I've been looking at Carnival stock lately. Not for shareholder credit but as an investment. I've sailed on Carnival and may again but I wouldn't buy any stock for shareholder credit, that you may or may not get. :)