MTD question

I have been wondering about this too. We have been on NCL several times and enjoy the freestyle dining.

With MTD do they have tables for two or are you usually placed with another table? While I enjoy going to eat when I want, I dont think I would necessary like to be sat with another couple/group

Can you make reservations prior to sailing or is it on a night to night basis?

Thanks

I have been wondering about this too. We have been on NCL several times and enjoy the freestyle dining.

With MTD do they have tables for two or are you usually placed with another table? While I enjoy going to eat when I want, I dont think I would necessary like to be sat with another couple/group

Can you make reservations prior to sailing or is it on a night to night basis?

Thanks

There will be quite a few two-tops (tables for two) in the MDR although (depending on when you arrive) you may have to wait a small bit until one opens.

Hello -

I have done MTD on Voyager class ships with no reservations and there was no wait.

Last week on Allure there was a significant wait (4 guests - 30 min) if you did not have a reservation and a short wait with reservations (10 min).

Based on this experience - I highly recommend reservations on Oasis class. I doubt I will go with MTD again since I haven't enjoyed it as much.

Thanks

The first time we used MTD a few years ago on RCL, we were encouraged by the hostess to make a reservation for each night. At the time, I thought it was defeating the purpose of MTD but I came to realize that it worked well. We made a reservation for 7:15 each night and never had to wait. There were a few nights we changed to a later time (after being in port till 6 or so) but that wasn't a problem either. I'd definitely make a reservation next time we use MTD.

On Carnival, i don't think you canmake a reservation so you just show up and usually we were seated within 5 minutes except for elegant night when we had about half an hour to wait. :(

It's all up to you as to whether to reserve or not. ;)

...I really don't care if we are placed at a table for 2 or with other people.

You are the easiest of passengers to please, then! You should have little to no wait if either is OK with you. :)

There will be quite a few two-tops (tables for two)...

Our experience is that yes, there are a lot of two-tops but they are THISCLOSE together. I swear, it's like a table for 52 down one side of the dining room! LOL. Our assistant waiter had trouble getting to my husband for his shrimp cocktail sauce - very squishy. :p We prefer to sit at a larger table after a few nights of that. *shrug*

Yes...you nay show up at the dining room any time during the dining hours. No reservation needed, unless you have a LARGE group...then reservations ARE recommended as large parties are harder to seat.

What about the specialty restaurants? I assumed reservations would be required but maybe not.

What about the specialty restaurants? I assumed reservations would be required but maybe not.

Correct. If they are booked full you may wait without a reservation, but you can always just pop in if the mood strikes and ask for next available; no different than land based.

How long in advance will I have to make a reservation? This will be my first time with MTD and I'm excited!

We made ours months in advance through the cruise personalizer for our B2B. But when folks showed up each night the staff asked if they wanted reservations for future nights. Pretty flexible. Also lots of folks switched reservations to other times for ports or different number of people at their table - they had no problem doing pretty much anything the guest wanted.

Haven't been on Carnival, but we found this MUCH easier than Princess. On that line sometimes they only allow a reservation by phoning in at 8 AM the same day. For our B2B we were able to make a standing reservation for two at 5:30 for two weeks, and when the waiters moved to a different section the second week we moved with them. Had tables on the balcony rail overlooking the lower dining rooms both times.