explore 4 is $500 more

SeaBands

we compared the pricing for 2014 and 2015 and it seems the same cruise is now $500 or more than this year. Don't think the drink cards and other extras are worth it.

Our Alaska cruise next May is the same price as it was this year, albeit on a different ship. We booked it before the Explore 4 program was announced, there was no price increase, and our TA was able to secure the promo for the Noordam cruise.

Edited by kjw869

Others here have reported prices higher with Explore4 package.

I've noticed that as well OP. You gotta be a big drinker to come ahead on that deal.

I agree with you both. It's a way to get people to pay for more liquor. Nothing wrong with that if that is what people want. They are a for profit business.

I agree with you both. It's a way to get people to pay for more liquor. Nothing wrong with that if that is what people want. They are a for profit business.

By HAL raising the cruise fare that includes the Explore4 program, the higher cruise fare helps to pay for the free Canaletto and Pinnacle dinners as well as for some of the drinks.

I don't think so.

Many of us could never have 15 drinks in a day. We barely have 4 cocktails throughout the day and then a cordial or 2 at night. Thus if we bought the package ourselves, HAL would make out on us.

Right on !!

If you notice, I said 'pay for more liquor'; I did not say drink more liquor.

we compared the pricing for 2014 and 2015 and it seems the same cruise is now $500 or more than this year. Don't think the drink cards and other extras are worth it.

Are you comparing the cruise price at the same time? In other words, are you looking at a July cruise in September, or similar?

I'm not doubting what you say, BTW. It's just that the prices are so fluid...

I Love the EX- 4

My recent trip 8/24 - 9/7/14 Amsterdam AK. cruise went down in price when the explore 4 was added.

I do not drink alcohol we got water, Ginger Ale, real hot chocolate & coffee.

I never used the max amount.

We had the Pinnacle dinner delivered to our room It worked our great for us:)

The drunks I saw on the trip were paying with their room key!

We booked a 14 day cruise on the Maasdam for a Mar15 sailing and a 14 day Alaska cruise in Jun15 before they offered the drink package. The price for the cruise did not change after the drink package was added.

We booked a 14 day cruise on the Maasdam for a Mar15 sailing and a 14 day Alaska cruise in Jun15 before they offered the drink package. The price for the cruise did not change after the drink package was added.

But you can bet the pricing of the cruise will decrease before and after final payment. Would likely lose the Explore4 in such cases, but then you take a look at the bottom line. I've seen this and the saving can be huge overall.

I Love the EX- 4

My recent trip 8/24 - 9/7/14 Amsterdam AK. cruise went down in price when the explore 4 was added.

Never heard of anyone having Pinnacle dinner delivered. Might be a nice option. Anyone else done that?

But you can bet the pricing of the cruise will decrease before and after final payment. Would likely lose the Explore4 in such cases, but then you take a look at the bottom line. I've seen this and the saving can be huge overall.

Exactly. Our Alaska 2015 just went down $400 and we kept the Explore 4. It may go down again, many times our cruises go down in price several times before final payment.

We have booked a cruise that went without the promo but was several hundreds of $ cheaper than the other dates for the same cruise WITH the promotion.

Oh, and by the way: in my country the HAL Explore 4 is not offered with a beverage package but a room upgrade , for example inside to outside - I really wonder why??

I don't care either way, we don't drink more than the occasional glass of wine anyway... But it's interesting to see that promotions can differ from country to country.

I agree also! We booked our 14 day western/eastern Caribbean cruise while on our cruise for 24 days in Europe last year, and now the price has gone up almost 600.00 pp more! We buy the Bev cards and liquor in our room. To us it is a better deal and I do enjoy drinking, BUT it has to be good alcohol! :)

We booked the Westerdam Eastern Caribbean 2015 Feb 28 th cruise in June of this year. I saw LaffnVegas's post about Explore4 coming back so after our July 2014 cruise we contacted out travel agent and she called HAL.

My family has 3 cabins booked for that cruise and the results are:

The 2 verandas got Explore4 added for no additional charge.

The Neptune aft wrap was charged $200 pp- not so bad in that it included $300 OBC, free drinks and the free Pinnacle dinner.

We took it.

I Love the EX- 4

I did not realise that the Pinnacle Dinner could be delivered to the stateroom.

Were all courses delivered at the same time?