Back to Black and the Med too.... Live from the Prinsendam

kazu

Wow, seriously? Ebola in my home town? Thanks if you have time and don't mind letting me know I would really appreciate it.

today from 680 all news radio's website in Toronto

“It’s important for the public to know that Ebola virus disease spreads only through direct contact with infected bodily fluids. It is not an airborne infection and cannot be spread through casual contact,” Dr.Levy said.

A male patient at Quinte Health Care Hospital (QHC) in Belleville is also being tested, the hospital confirmed.

That person fell ill after recently returning from Sierra Leone.

“Although the patient has recently returned from West Africa and has some symptoms common with the Ebola virus, it is highly unlikely that this patient will test positive for Ebola,” the hospital said in a release.

QHC Chief of Staff Dr. Dick Zoutman said the patient had a short stopover in West Africa and was not exposed to any ill people during that time.

“However, since we cannot immediately rule out Ebola, we are taking the conservative approach and sending a sample out for testing at the National Microbiology lab in Winnipeg,” he said.

Results are expected over the next 24-36 hours.

Meanwhile, Canada’s chief public health officer will be meeting with provincial and territorial public health officials on Tuesday to review existing guidelines on how frontline health workers would handle an Ebola patient.

Dr. Gregory Taylor said modifications might be required in light of two recent cases of Ebola transmission to health care workers in Dallas and in Spain.

With files from The Canadian Press

I will certainly let you know the test results. Someone tested negative in Ottawa yesterday.

today from 680 all news radio's website in Toronto

“It’s important for the public to know that Ebola virus disease spreads only through direct contact with infected bodily fluids. It is not an airborne infection and cannot be spread through casual contact,” Dr.Levy said.

A male patient at Quinte Health Care Hospital (QHC) in Belleville is also being tested, the hospital confirmed.

That person fell ill after recently returning from Sierra Leone.

“Although the patient has recently returned from West Africa and has some symptoms common with the Ebola virus, it is highly unlikely that this patient will test positive for Ebola,” the hospital said in a release.

QHC Chief of Staff Dr. Dick Zoutman said the patient had a short stopover in West Africa and was not exposed to any ill people during that time.

“However, since we cannot immediately rule out Ebola, we are taking the conservative approach and sending a sample out for testing at the National Microbiology lab in Winnipeg,” he said.

Results are expected over the next 24-36 hours.

Meanwhile, Canada’s chief public health officer will be meeting with provincial and territorial public health officials on Tuesday to review existing guidelines on how frontline health workers would handle an Ebola patient.

Dr. Gregory Taylor said modifications might be required in light of two recent cases of Ebola transmission to health care workers in Dallas and in Spain.

With files from The Canadian Press

I will certainly let you know the test results. Someone tested negative in Ottawa yesterday.

Thanks Gail

Oh wow!!! I never dreamed I would see pictures of such places like the Sumela monastery! Amazing! Thanks for sharing them.

Now rest easy. The patient in Belleville tested negative late last night. Here is the story from the Toronto Star this morning (Wednesday):

A patient with Ebola-like symptoms at Belleville General Hospital has tested negative for the virus, according to a statement from Quinte Health Care.

Health officials said samples were tested at the National Microbiology Laboratory in Winnipeg and results came back late Tuesday night.

The patient, who was admitted to hospital early Monday morning, had been placed under quarantine within four minutes, said Susan Rowe, a spokesperson for Quinte Health Care.

More news on the Ebola crisis at thestar.com

The patient had recently travelled to Sierra Leone, but Rowe said he had not left the airport, calling the case “very low risk.”

The statement from Quinte Health Care said the patient “is making a full recovery and will soon be discharged from the hospital.”

According to Health Canada, there have not been any cases of Ebola in Canada.

Edited by 1of4

Jacqui, thank you for posting such amazing pictures! I have to hand it to you that you went all the way up that mountain! My one phobia is narrow roads on the side of mountains...can't do it:( Did it in Zermat (during road construction, with no guard rails), and said NEVER again:( Now give me a shark (well fed one) to swim with and that's another story! So one more reason for you to be nominated for the Cruise Critic Member of the year award:))

Jacqui, what a great report and pictures of your (to me) scary adventure to such a wonderful site.

You must also be a very quick study to learn to post those pictures so quickly after just downloading tapatalk.

Keep safe on those adventures and we will keep reading your great posts. Thank you for them.

Helen

Thank you for the kind words on the photos. I will try to share more in Constanta. Tomorrow,

Thanks to sapper1 for the reminder on tap a talk

Apologies as they awe only Ipad photos.

The camera that has been misappropriated is mine:mad:

We did meet with staff captain and security officer today though, Kazu leaves no stone unturned;)

Very good meeting and they are going to try to help.

First time on this ship Iin over 4 years since the staff captain has been on board.

Intersting info on the Prinsendam too.

Will post shortly once I can compose, copy and paste

ThanKs for reading and putting up with the shabby photos.

Live from our veranDah headinG to ConstaNta with full bars on my wifi:D

Oh how I hate to post this....but since you asked (me), here is the Toronto weather for the next week....

We are down to under 11 hours of daylight

FriOct 17

Cloudy with showers

high 16°C low 11

61°F

SatOct 18

Cloudy with showers

28.png

high 11°C low 9

52°F

SunOct 19

Mainly sunny

2.png

high 8°C low 3

46°F

MonOct 20

Cloudy with showers

28.png

high 11°C low 4 with 1 hour of sunlight predicted

52°F

TueOct 21

Cloudy with showers

28.png

high 11°C low 5 with 0 hours of sunlight...ugh

WedOct 22

Sunny

1.png

high 9°C low 3

48°F

ThuOct 23

Sunny

1.png

high 11°C low 2

Edited by 1of4

The camera that has been misappropriated is mine

We did meet with staff captain and security officer today though, Kazu leaves no stone unturned

Very good meeting and they are going to try to help.

Talk about more nerve than a bad tooth; to steal someone's camera, then have the gall to use it on the trip where the rightful owner could see it. I've always said "crooked" people aren't usually Rhodes scholars. Kazu, Sherlock Holmes would be proud of you and your methods, please keep us posted. I hope you get your camera back and they are dealt with appropriately. I'd love to have them in my courtroom ! !

BTW, I'm loving your photos - they aren't "shabby" - they're great!

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Gerry

I love reading the posts of your trip. You have traveled to places I will never be able to go so I appreciate your descriptive essays. Your photos are beautiful! I'm so sorry about your camera, but as a result of your experience my DH decided to check serial numbers and make notes of every electronic and camera item we have.

Safe travels home.

Jacqui, I'm glad you found your camera! But it most be so frustrating to not be able to confront the thieves (with security present of course). Hopefully, you can at least retrieve your memory card. My DH is curious...are they an older couple or a younger couple? I could use this opportunity for some "funny lines", but somehow I doubt if you are finding this camera theft funny...and I don't blame you one bit!!

Talk about more nerve than a bad tooth; to steal someone's camera, then have the gall to use it on the trip where the rightful owner could see it. I've always said "crooked" people aren't usually Rhodes scholars. Kazu, Sherlock Holmes would be proud of you and your methods, please keep us posted. I hope you get your camera back and they are dealt with appropriately. I'd love to have them in my courtroom ! !

BTW, I'm loving your photos - they aren't "shabby" - they're great!

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Gerry

I would imagine the thief wouldn't even know who it belonged to, having been opportunist and picked it up when it was left behind. You would think he/she would be afraid to use it openly, just in case the owner was nearby. Obviously that person is an idiot:rolleyes: and hopefully will be confronted. I just hope you get it back intact with all your photos, Jacqui.