Back to Black and the Med too.... Live from the Prinsendam

kazu

This wasn't what I had pictured. I was thinking more along the lines of a pipe or something that looked like the wax ring under a western toilet.

Okay- dumb question time. There appears to be a tank so do they flush? Or is that what the bucket is for?

This wasn't what I had pictured. I was thinking more along the lines of a pipe or something that looked like the wax ring under a western toilet.

Okay- dumb question time. There appears to be a tank so do they flush? Or is that what the bucket is for?

We never did figure that out. one person used the bucket. The tank didn't seem to co-operate, but I think someone did get it to work. Gigianne, are you there? Could you confirm please?

(I refused the facilities and left).

Before I forget, the Prinsendam did a few things as we went through the different ports.

In France there was a wine and cheese extravaganza on the Lido. It was a lot more than just cheese and very good :)

In Greece, they had special buffets with Greek food and again, quite good :)

In Turkey, they brought on performers to play on the Lido and had a belly dancer on board. She performed as they played and there was a Turkish buffet served on the Lido.

Sofire, the belly dancer, was on board and was giving belly dancing lessons, once Turkey ports became the main objective. She gave them until the end of the cruise. She also did talks on the history of belly dancing.

There were several other buffets which saved our bacon when we were late for dinner one night. They were quite decent. :)

There was also the taste of the port with wine selections by the cellar master every night. Traditiionally, he tried to focus a taste on the port we were in.

The Adagio on this cruise were the best I have seen. The room was absolutely packed on many nights and you had to get there early to get a seat. They also did two performances in the showroom. They created the show themselves and it was very good. They are a husband and wife team and so synchronized it is incredible. It was a joy to watch them check each other and listen to them play. They were challenged one night by a musician who asked them to play three difficult pieces the next night (to give them time to prepare). They said they would be happy to play his requests and would play them now. At the end, he as well as everyone else in the room were on their feet clapping.

There were also special sail a ways at the sea view pool and the Lido with wines, cheeses and other things offered. The wine was offered at a special price of $4 a glass and bottles of wine were sold at a 15% discount. I don't recall seeing this before, but I might have just missed it.

I will try to do the ports next as requested and guides.

In the meantime, if anyone has any questions or if I missed something, please ask. Roll call members, please chime in if I missed something or you have a different opinion.

Were you able to find out Prinsendam's fate? Or if HAL is interested in having one small ship?

You should know me better than that:p;) According to the Staff Captain, she will be around as long as possible. Now, admittedly, anything is for sale if the price is right but that is doubtful to happen as she is expensive to maintain.

According to the Staff Captain, she is better built than many ships out there, higher quality material, thicker steel, longer bow to cut the waves and sail the oceans and she was built in a time when public space was not sacrificed to more cabins. :)

She has the highest repeat passenger ratio in the fleet by far and, HAL is well aware that if she goes, passengers who sail her may well go to other cruise lines (ie. Oceania, Seabourn, Silver Seas, Crystal), etc. as people who sail her like smaller ships and the unique itineraries that she offers.

Oh, and she has also has the highest spending on board per passenger of any of the HAL fleet.

The Staff Captain named a few of her advantages and it is obvious they are very proud of their ship.

It sounds like she will be around as long as it is feasible.

Will HAL build another ship like her when it is time for her to go? That's not totally out the window as they know that there is a demand for this ship. It is recommended that all those who like this ship make sure they make a note on their surveys that they hope that if the Prinsendam ever leaves, she is replaced by a ship of the same size and calibre.

All encouraging, but just the same she can only be around for so long.

We never did figure that out. one person used the bucket. The tank didn't seem to co-operate, but I think someone did get it to work. Gigianne, are you there? Could you confirm please?

(I refused the facilities and left).

There is usually a scoop in the bucket which you are meant to use to flush - I haven't seen one with a tank before, guess if it's not working then they have the bucket ready. There is usually a short shower pipe too but couldn't see one in the pic.

I was totally a newbie to this kind of toilet and apparently there was a flushing mechanism which I did not find. I used the water in the bucket to clean the area. I just wanted to get in - and out as quickly as I could - there was a line up waiting outside the door (and they were all laughing at my narrative!!)

You should know me better than that:p;) According to the Staff Captain, she will be around as long as possible. Now, admittedly, anything is for sale if the price is right but that is doubtful to happen as she is expensive to maintain.

According to the Staff Captain, she is better built than many ships out there, higher quality material, thicker steel, longer bow to cut the waves and sail the oceans and she was built in a time when public space was not sacrificed to more cabins. :)

She has the highest repeat passenger ratio in the fleet by far and, HAL is well aware that if she goes, passengers who sail her may well go to other cruise lines (ie. Oceania, Seabourn, Silver Seas, Crystal), etc. as people who sail her like smaller ships and the unique itineraries that she offers.

Oh, and she has also has the highest spending on board per passenger of any of the HAL fleet.

The Staff Captain named a few of her advantages and it is obvious they are very proud of their ship.

It sounds like she will be around as long as it is feasible.

Will HAL build another ship like her when it is time for her to go? That's not totally out the window as they know that there is a demand for this ship. It is recommended that all those who like this ship make sure they make a note on their surveys that they hope that if the Prinsendam ever leaves, she is replaced by a ship of the same size and calibre.

All encouraging, but just the same she can only be around for so long.

Thanks Jacqui...knew I could count on you to find out the latest! Actually, it sounds somewhat promising, especially since they are aware there are a lot of us who sail P because of being who she is! Let's think back to the Norway....she sailed until something happened...do not remember the exact details. I read Ocean Princess is for sale...but she is not of the same caliber as P. That's interesting about the highest spending onboard...we do our share, between shorex and drinks! I have heard that she is built with better materials...from my experience with other ships, that is very visible---her public rooms are still amazing. I love sitting in the Crow's Nest , noticing all the quality materials, in comparison with other ships we've been on. Thanks again...you've made my day!

Thanks Jacqui...knew I could count on you to find out the latest! Actually, it sounds somewhat promising, especially since they are aware there are a lot of us who sail P because of being who she is! Let's think back to the Norway....she sailed until something happened...do not remember the exact details. I read Ocean Princess is for sale...but she is not of the same caliber as P. That's interesting about the highest spending onboard...we do our share, between shorex and drinks! I have heard that she is built with better materials...from my experience with other ships, that is very visible---her public rooms are still amazing. I love sitting in the Crow's Nest , noticing all the quality materials, in comparison with other ships we've been on. Thanks again...you've made my day!

You are very welcome.

Remember, I'm just the messenger and all things can change,

One of the things I love about this ship is the quality.

The Crows nest is my favourite in. The fleet.

The rosewood in the Pinnacle Grill and the dining rooms is elegant and subtle.

Doesn't appeal to everyone I know, but I love it.

Service was really, really food and that really adds to the experience.

I will catch up tomorrow with the ports and the good, the bad and the ugly with luck

Edited by kazu

Ahh the European toilets. I swore I would write a book when I retured from my back-packing summer way back when.... Of course then I was young and could move muscles that have been hibernating for many years now.

Those toilets...yikes...I used to take off one leg of my pants/shorts and tightly wrap it around my other leg and that is how I used them if I absolutely had to.

Now...ahhh...not unless it was an emergency and then I would carry a female urinal-like device. http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Afemale%20urinal

I was already looking into them when I had to cancel our Asian cruise last year. I was always puzzled that some bathrooms made you pay to enter, some pay to get toilet paper and some no pay at all. some have people sitting in there to collect the money. And some I stood and stared at the divice trying to figure out how the heck to flush it!

Okay enough about the facilities! Now in strange lands I just don't drink anything until I have to!

Ahh the European toilets. I swore I would write a book when I retured from my back-packing summer way back when.... Of course then I was young and could move muscles that have been hibernating for many years now.

Those toilets...yikes...I used to take off one leg of my pants/shorts and tightly wrap it around my other leg and that is how I used them if I absolutely had to.

Now...ahhh...not unless it was an emergency and then I would carry a female urinal-like device. http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Afemale%20urinal

I was already looking into them when I had to cancel our Asian cruise last year. I was always puzzled that some bathrooms made you pay to enter, some pay to get toilet paper and some no pay at all. some have people sitting in there to collect the money. And some I stood and stared at the divice trying to figure out how the heck to flush it!

Okay enough about the facilities! Now in strange lands I just don't drink anything until I have to!

This would make a very interesting port talk! Might be better than one on shopping. :D

This would make a very interesting port talk! Might be better than one on shopping. :D

I could probably give the talk - I have a reputation for having to try every toilet enroute and then giving them scores out of 10:D My grandmother was the same so guess I follow her.

Ok, going to start the port reviews

Marseilles... We used Marseilles Provence Greeters. We werE lucky enough to have Danielle. It was supposed to be three hours and turned into six

We could have cut it off any time. We saw all the wonderful sights, had her help with a bus to go to Notre Dame ( earlier than the shuttles)

This is a free service ...just choose your guide wisely and you have to go on intuition as you. Ant talk until you boo.

A donation to the organization is appreciated and we passed Danielle the money asking her to keep some for herself and give the rest

Caveat, you wait until the last minute for confirmation, but you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I wish I had pictures to show you but someone else has the camera for these pics.

Marseilles is beautkful

For Monte Carlo we used Ingrid of Kultours, she was fantastic. Through history, markets and a lovely bite we went.

I give Ingrid five stars

Civi - I don't need to tell you what to do here...Rome, Rome, right? Of course you're right

In our case, this was a relaxing DIY day and if you have been to Rome enough, Civi has some spots worth exploring :)

Citavecchia - I don't need to tell you what to do here....

Edited by kazu

Durres Albania is a challenge - not just to find a guide but to manoeuver the steps.

This is an interesting port but warning, the cobblestones to get to the Kruja main sights are not like any cobblestones I have seen.

they are lobsided and uneven and very tricky to manoeuver (and I am fairly agile).

But if you can do it - it's worth it. Warning, this is the bad washroom stop in the museum. :)

hopefully, I have pics soon.

Bless your heart person that stole our camera. I know there is a place in the after life for you

Edited by kazu

We really enjoyed split.Diocietian's palace is amazing and if you can just let your mind wander back.

The square, everything is fantastic. As always we had a guide as I am a firm believer in knowing what you are looking at.

de66cbee499dfd88a0078fe2c01ec884.jpg120378dde7574307e8b6b8f548c60750.jpg3a44d6cc2f09c23a9450882ffe8d4ccf.jpg7937632cdb9eff8612cfb5a2e95fa8bd.jpg3a3b2db7fe493535e77218be9455ccf4.jpg

and of course we were serenaded in the caverns. Not sure if a video will work or not if I will try on the next post

We really enjoyed split.Diocietian's palace is amazing and if you can just let your mind wander back.

The square, everything is fantastic. As always we had a guide as I am a firm believer in knowing what you are looking at.

de66cbee499dfd88a0078fe2c01ec884.jpg120378dde7574307e8b6b8f548c60750.jpg3a44d6cc2f09c23a9450882ffe8d4ccf.jpg7937632cdb9eff8612cfb5a2e95fa8bd.jpg3a3b2db7fe493535e77218be9455ccf4.jpg

and of course we were serenaded in the caverns. Not sure if a video will work or not if I will try on the next post

Sorry, not sure why all the pics didn't post.

And then we went to Ravenna. WOW

A great walkingbcity, just don't get lost. We did a DIY. My tip, if i were to do it ever again, I would have skipped the free port shuttle and grabbed the cab

which I saw bartered down to 20 euros for four. People, but once they were gone, they were gone and none came back

Dantes Tomb

b620074aeadfb53fc4af09de126ca231.jpg. And

0bb4526eb0f4fbe8ba7dc5ee12bee636.jpg

11d32a54a139b410b77d1ee33b9a91ec.jpg

df8b1e009b18b33ff8f13da17f799d1d.jpg